• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I have baby hands so I just make a crescent shape swing and it hits them all lol

AfRo ToAd

Smash Cadet
NNID
AfRo_ToAd
I saw the video.

I KINDA can do DR a little now. But not enough to say I can do it....I saw a few vids of it on Youtube and some looked freakin legit! Can you DR while dashing?? What I do is...tap ←→ really fast dash dancing....then I Y,B,C↓, thats how I DR..

And how do you Dragonic Trot?? xD

AfRo ToAd

Smash Cadet
NNID
AfRo_ToAd
@Z'zganshi

Dude, you seem freaking AMAZiNG with Yoshi & id KILL just to have 1 battle with you! I just wanna @ least see your version of DR in action, care to brawl?? (iSOUND like a n00b) xD

You can delete me after...i just wanna play a pro yoshi ^^

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
And how do you Dragonic Trot?? xD
Dash DR Dash again

@Z'zganshi

Dude, you seem freaking AMAZiNG with Yoshi & id KILL just to have 1 battle with you! I just wanna @ least see your version of DR in action, care to brawl?? (iSOUND like a n00b) xD

You can delete me after...i just wanna play a pro yoshi ^^
He has his own way now?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Wut, I have my own way? I'm a pro yoshi? AWESOME.

I don't really play wifi ever, so... Yeah... If we meet irl I'll play ya for sure. I'm gonna start traveling a lot around mid June, so I might turn up in your area.

AfRo ToAd

Smash Cadet
NNID
AfRo_ToAd
Wut, I have my own way? I'm a pro yoshi? AWESOME.

I don't really play wifi ever, so... Yeah... If we meet irl I'll play ya for sure. I'm gonna start traveling a lot around mid June, so I might turn up in your area.

Awww :( Well okay xD

Im gettin DR down now! >:)

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Hello Yoshi boards; just a question. What do you think about the R.O.B. MU and why? Thanks in advance!

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I still am no more familiar with R.O.B. than I was when the BBR MU Chart project started. It could range anywhere from a -1 to a +1, really.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I swear to god, I have the ROB match up down like no other, its pretty much the only match up that I think I know almost perfectly, and I believe it to be even.

What do you want to know about it? I can tell you ANYTHING.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Gashi, I'd like to hear what you have to say about it.

In my opinion, the match up fluctuates heavily based on the Yoshi player. A Rob who does their normal thing against a Yoshi who is unfamiliar with what to do, especially as far as juggling Rob, will have an EXTREME advantage. I used to get *** ***** by Rob ALL THE TIME. The more I played it, the better I got at it though. Rob is kind of weird to play with it, so it's hard to actually learn the match up, at least in my opinion.

Assuming both players know the MU well, I'd put it at -1.

Scatz

Smash Champion
I could say watch my old *** play vs Ninjalink's ROB back in October, but I got ***** cause I played stupid at certain times. Still, it showed a lot of interesting situations that Yoshi can handle.

AfRo ToAd

Smash Cadet
NNID
AfRo_ToAd
I think Yoshi counters ROB, since his fair SUCKS, his spike takes time to attack, his bair sends him the opposite way, and a up air isnt that great. Yoshi hands down beats ROB in a Air match plus ground. Just be Defensive against good ROB's. I LOVE the Match Up & find it VERY easy to beat a ROB. The Second your not Defensive is when you fall. his down B and N "B" is a pain to Yoshi. Dont get hit & counter ROB with Egg Throw, Grab, Egg Lay, & D Air.

Btw Im getting SO much better with DR!! :p Now I need Dragonic Trot down

Sharky

Smash Master
OH MY ****ING GOD Z'Z I THINK HE JUST KICKED YOU OUT OF THE HALL OF SHAME

fo'realz

edit: ok I'm sorry I realize that came out pretty harsh, but I gotta make more than a few corrections on your post there. 1 his fair is awesome as it's fast and has great range, 2 while slow it's no slower than our spike, has more range, and isn't used very much anyway lol. 3 his bair has lots of disjoint and the momentum it gives him makes it really safe on shields and if he hits you with the front can set up some beast combos. 4 his upair is fast and does up to 24 (maybe 25 I forget, but only 21 if not sweetspotted) damage, so it definitely doesn't suck lol. so have fun playing pure defense against rob. (unless you have the gyro :troll:)

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Well I think this MU is dead even. Don't ask me why. =P

Sharky; R.O.B.'s Uair does everything from 19%-24%. It depends on the sweet spots/sour spots alot.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I find it to be very even, as both characters just need to get momentum and carry it. They both build damage and keep pressure on very well, so really its just whoever finds the opening first.

Yikarur

Smash Master
I just noticed that aggressives are way harder to beat then campy Robs.
Robs disjointness is really good too :0
It feels really even.

Z' your write-up will be way too long xD'

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
So I have decided to play around with Yoshi (mainly for Low Tier events) and I need some direction as to what I should be focusing on first. There just seems like a lot of stuff to learn with Yoshi and I just want some insight as to what "essentials" I should work on.

Sharky

Smash Master
idk if I'd pick yoshi for low tiers, the way the general public's attitude towards him has changed of late he might not be a low tier for long lol.

But of everything if I were pressed for time I'd really just try to get used to his moveset as a whole, watch some videos of top yoshis and try to learn proper spacing. Eggs, grabs, and egg lay are three moves in particular I'd try to learn, particularly chain grabs if we're talking low tiers.

keep in mind I tried reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllly painfully hard to keep this brief, cause there really is a lot. =/

ZTD | TECHnology

idk if I'd pick yoshi for low tiers, the way the general public's attitude towards him has changed of late he might not be a low tier for long lol.

But of everything if I were pressed for time I'd really just try to get used to his moveset as a whole, watch some videos of top yoshis and try to learn proper spacing. Eggs, grabs, and egg lay are three moves in particular I'd try to learn, particularly chain grabs if we're talking low tiers.

keep in mind I tried reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllly painfully hard to keep this brief, cause there really is a lot. =/
I don't mind a wall of text if you feel like explaining everything.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
The main problem is, in a couple months when the next tier list is released, Yoshi isn't going to be low tier anymore.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Oh good, perfect! I'd be glad to help!

But I need to finish the write up I'm working on right now first haha, after that I'll do what I can!

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Imo it all depends on what you wanna do with yoshi. For the style i've been using you need to know
How yoshi moves
How his moves position his nose
How to recover properly
How to make use of the free space on the stage
How to cover landings(yours and the other guys)
How to make the best of a punish
What to do on the ledge
And shield vs spotdodge and outspacing

Alot of the little things. I play like an odd mix of all the styles i've been seeing. Its more or less a technical and slightly passive agressive style that shifts between constant movement and almost no movement at all. I like go from zudenka without the attacking to delta without the eggs lol

If you have a certain playstyle in mind i can help you out

:phone:

ZTD | TECHnology

I am a naturally defensive player. I'm the type of person who doesn't actively go for the timeout..it just happens because of how defensive I play. I enjoy being able to force people into making mistakes and then setting the pace of the match. I've never been much for aggressive play. I like how Yoshi is "all over the place" and has an annoying projectile to utilize. If I can use those strengths and my natural playstyle I think I could do well ..with practice of course. That's my aim.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Learn how to effectively upsmash, learn to be one with you pivot grab and learn ALLLL about you eggs. You need to get your arcs down PAT. I mean this should be a staple for yoshi anyway but if you want to be good at camping with the Dino you need to know when you can where you can and how you should throw them eggs. Delta vids should help.

:phone:

Top Bottom