• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

AfRo ToAd

Smash Cadet
NNID
AfRo_ToAd
It will SUCK once Yoshi's a high/mid tier, then ppl will main him & he'll be more popular. Its better for him to be a low tier so people can be amazed @ how such an unused char can **** high tiers like MK, & Snake.

Yoshi VS Diddy just doesnt work tho. Diddy owns Yoshi @ Pretty much everything. Ground Game. Air Game. Offense AND Defense. I find it hard to beat diddys >:/

BTW, I mastered DR!! >:.DD Its really cool!

Yikarur

Smash Master
It will SUCK once Yoshi's a high/mid tier, then ppl will main him & he'll be more popular. Its better for him to be a low tier so people can be amazed @ how such an unused char can **** high tiers like MK, & Snake.

Yoshi VS Diddy just doesnt work tho. Diddy owns Yoshi @ Pretty much everything. Ground Game. Air Game. Offense AND Defense. I find it hard to beat diddys >:/

BTW, I mastered DR!! >:.DD Its really cool!
steal their nanas and you're suddenly the bst character in the game :troll:

btw it would be good if more people play Yoshi because this way we get people that want to do work.
Yoshi will still feel low tier for people that doesn't do work for their character though.
Players Potential is needed for a character to rise and Yoshi is a character that highly depends on the players skill. We all know Yoshi has a lot potential, but the players right now are just not good enough.

AfRo ToAd

Smash Cadet
NNID
AfRo_ToAd
steal their nanas and you're suddenly the bst character in the game :troll:

btw it would be good if more people play Yoshi because this way we get people that want to do work.
Yoshi will still feel low tier for people that doesn't do work for their character though.
Players Potential is needed for a character to rise and Yoshi is a character that highly depends on the players skill. We all know Yoshi has a lot potential, but the players right now are just not good enough.

Its hard for me to steal nanas from Pro diddys they are like...Nana spam, throw em @ you, grab/dash attack or Forward B.

Whenever I play pro Diddys Im always defensive. Like Gaurding and staying air bourne as much as possible. Yoshi cant even Gimp Diddy x(

AfRo ToAd

Smash Cadet
NNID
AfRo_ToAd
Alrite, now im legit @ DR'ing. Its not just, Y, B, C↓.

You gotta have Tap Jump off. Then Do Y, B, C↓. Then Smash Up On the Anolog stick. Thats how you DR >:)

Btw, How does DR'ing pick up items?? All Yoshi is doing is slightly sliding downsmashing/jerking or bouncing on the ground. How does that pick up nanas?

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
He's technically in the air for a few frames (jump -> double-jump -> aerial), so the aerial will pick it up right before he lands.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Alrite, now im legit @ DR'ing. Its not just, Y, B, C↓.

You gotta have Tap Jump off. Then Do Y, B, C↓. Then Smash Up On the Anolog stick. Thats how you DR >:)

Btw, How does DR'ing pick up items?? All Yoshi is doing is slightly sliding downsmashing/jerking or bouncing on the ground. How does that pick up nanas?

Yeah you don't need to do that at all. And It picks up items just try it

AfRo ToAd

Smash Cadet
NNID
AfRo_ToAd
Woah! Your Right Dude! 0-0

Now im ready to fight diddy >:p

Btw, the guy above me, wanna Yoshi Ditto? :D

Killanator90

Smash Journeyman
once marth gets in he shuts me down. I don't know how to approach him properly and when ever im off stage i always seem to get gimped

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
While I haven't played much Marth mains outside of Nike to make a long Write up.
I will say Marth will do the usual Fair, and occasional Dancing Blade cause it ***** us.
I don't think we should really approach at all, At most we should probably be using Egglay most of the game since (I believe) The Reason MK beats him is cause his range is much further than Marth's range.

So basically Pivot Grab or Egglay Marth when he's near us trying to Fair, Dancing Blade, Nair us. Or just camp with Eggthrow when he's nowhere near us. I think our Nair/Bair is also pretty good moves on Marth.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Er, yes, he does. He may not be as versatile as MK is with his moves, but if you had to compare the overall range of their attacks Marth would win.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I'm pretty sure every one of Marth's aerials (except maybe b-air?) has longer range than MK's respective aerials. Marth should have a larger u-tilt and d-tilt (although I guess MK actually has more f-tilt range). Up-smash is basically the same (of course, Marth's is far more useful), for f-smash it seems that Marth has more, and d-smash... probably MK.

Marth's jab has more range than MK's, but they both suck. :troll:

Down-B... I guess Marth has more range (although it wouldn't matter anyways). Marth's side-B definitely has more range than MK's (and is much better than MK's anyway). Not sure about up-B; they both seem to hit around the same distance grounded, but MK's is more versatile.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Marth does outrange Metaknight in aerial vs aerial. We actaully beat him there. However, his ground attacks are what he'll be spacing with.

Marth can tipper fsmash Metaknights ftilt1 and ftilt2. Ftilt3 beats it though.

Marth can tipper fsmash Metaknight's dtilt with perfect spacing and godly timing.

On topic: Polt, why do you always ban brinstar on me? x)

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Ask Chaz. Marth can be stupidly good there.

Anyways, I was just doing a move-by-move comparison. Marth has more range, but MK is able to space Marth out pretty well, making it a pretty hard match-up for Marth, right?

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Camp, look for an opening to do some good damage, punish his landings and ledge options.

Also, don't get ***** by Dancing Blade (easier said than done, though :glare:).

Nike.

Smash Hero
From the other side:

The best thing Yoshi can hope for is to spam spot dodge and hope dancing blade completley whiffs. Slush does this whenever he can. There's time's where he'll do a jab or dsmash after the first spot dodge. If timed right, it'll hit Marth between one of the DB hits. It's infuriating as a Marth main lol.

Despite that, it's usually a 50/50 thing. Other half of the time, DB will still hit you out of it.

It does completely **** your shield though.

EDIT: Need to unsubscribe from this already x)

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
It's a really hard match up if the Marth is zoning you properly. You need to be able to analyze the way he's spacing and adjust yourself accordingly. It's a really hard match up. I used to say it was even, but Marth does put more pressure on us with his zoning than we can to him, so I'd say he's got an advantage. We do have some decent edge guarding on him though.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Well, it does work off of reads and certain situations. HOWEVER, upon playing the MU once more recently, I've decided that Marth has a larger margin of error in dealing with those reads than we do, so it's not so simple. It's still not godawful like people say it is, though.

Also, Yoshi's Island is AWFUL for this MU. Like, the options Marth gets from the platform **** us SO HARD.

Killanator90

Smash Journeyman
Whats a good counter pick for marth? A place where they wont switch to MK if you pick it. I hate when ppl do that

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Stages without platforms in general. SV is good because it gives us more recovery options. Delfino is good as well. Platforms gives Marth godlike options against us, so you want to stay away from them.

Sharky

Smash Master
I hate sv against marth and I haven't a clue why. =/

I still insist on it being a pretty even mu, but I feel it's an impossible mu to explain to people. =/

Killanator90

Smash Journeyman
Stages without platforms in general. SV is good because it gives us more recovery options. Delfino is good as well. Platforms gives Marth godlike options against us, so you want to stay away from them.
Thanks never thought about that

Top Bottom