• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

Scatz

Smash Champion
Alright so...about DR..Ive changed the controls to where X is Special & B is Jump & I love it! I cant go back to default, but Im still havin trouble with DR!! I Press Y and flick my thumb to press B and have my Thumb flick off the C stick. So im Pressing/Flicking " Y, B, C Stick " Really fast but its not working..What I end up doing is a D-Jump then D-Air Or a Fair.

This is REALLY hard & Ive been doing this for like 2 Weeks...What does DR do & what should it look like?

NE1 wanna show me DR??

FC is 5284-9833-9330, dont need a match, just a guide on DR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVEyqPXbn8w

AfRo ToAd

Smash Cadet
NNID
AfRo_ToAd
If I gotta flick it THAT fast then is it really worth it?? Does it help you out in a match alot cuz I know alot of advanced yoshi techs..except this one.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I don't even USE YBC and I can do DR perfectly fine in tourney matches with YYA. My set up is close to yours with X being Special and B jump. But I have R as special as well.

Y+R for basically ETS on platforms that're wavebounced or just doing it on stage.
As for B+X that's for Off stage since whenever I tried R for offstage egg camping I always did Eggroll or just Neutral B.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
So, Yoshi air release -> spike...

It works on MK, so what's the biggest underlying issues with it, preventing it from being used by top yoshis? Need some clarification :p

Edit: aside from mashing, that one's pretty clear.

edit: found out it doesn't work on MK in the first place, never mind :p

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I'm pretty sure it works on Falco. If not off of guaranteed frame data, then off of the fact that it covers most of Falco's conventional options for recovering off of release.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
GR > Egg lay works on falco. Doing that on the right ledge of Frigate is godly btw

Scatz

Smash Champion
So, Yoshi air release -> spike...

It works on MK, so what's the biggest underlying issues with it, preventing it from being used by top yoshis? Need some clarification :p

Edit: aside from mashing, that one's pretty clear.

edit: found out it doesn't work on MK in the first place, never mind :p
Only works on Squirtle and Sheik.

Squirtle, Ganon, and Lucas get hit with DR Fsmash from release. MK would be on the list if he didn't have a 3 frame airdodge.

Falco and Wolf only allow egglay to connect.

There's other stuff, but much more situational.

Sharky

Smash Master
so it's only the airdodge that prevents it with mk? nobody airdodges the cg, we should totally take advantage of this lol

Scatz

Smash Champion
They're over the ledge when you can do it (dunno the specific placement off my head). Air SL doesn't have invinci frames, and you have to be practically frame perfect to force only an airdodge from grab release (which then, he can airdodge cause of his 3 frame startup).

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Heh, I already knew it was very disjointed. I've even directly beaten Dedede's d-air on more than one occasion. >.>

Yikarur

Smash Master
Yeah we all know, this pic shows the exact length of disjointness because they trade hits the frame after.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Trade hits? I thought Yoshi's u-air hitbox only lasted one frame...? :confused:

EDIT: It appears that I was wrong. It lasts for two frames.

Yikarur

Smash Master
uair hitbox lasts frame 5-6, 2 frames :p there is no hitbox in this game that is out for only one frame afaik. (maybe rest because that was the case in melee but idk)

Depster

Smash Champion
It's a pretty fun team, actually. I play it a lot at Smashfests, but I'm going to be honest and say I can't remember how it actually works...

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Ummm... They both go balls out and try not to hit each other? I have actually never team with a good snake, and there's like, 3 of them in my state O.o

Airborne

Smash Lord
Do you guys have a hitbox video/thread?
We can apparently not determine our hitbubbles correctly because there's some glitch in the coding or something where the hitbubbles for Yoshi's tail moves grow infinitely large due to the swelling of his tail during the the animation. And yet, older people around still keep asking for them when Eternal Yoshi told them about 4 consecutive times... -____-;

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
We can apparently not determine our hitbubbles correctly because there's some glitch in the coding or something where the hitbubbles for Yoshi's tail moves grow infinitely large due to the swelling of his tail during the the animation. And yet, older people around still keep asking for them when Eternal Yoshi told them about 4 consecutive times... -____-;
Thanks, that sounds extremely strange...

Snake Ducks and Yoshi Throws eggs over him. Snake then proceeds to Tilt anything that gets in the way of that : D. Idk that was just some silly gimmick. Also if snake is stale, we can egglay him to give him back his freshness
Why does Egg Lay freshify Snake's move?

AfRo ToAd

Smash Cadet
NNID
AfRo_ToAd
Still having trouble with DR...changed my controls to "X" = Special and "B" jump....and whoever does DR with Yoshi...can you do it with Sheer Will or does it take a few trys, i only did it like....4 times in the past 2 months xD

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
It takes a lot of practice, so just keep working at it. I can pull it off 90% of the time, but even with all of my experience with it I still occasionally mess up. Just keep working at it and practicing and you'll get it down eventually.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Check this thread in 2 hours Afro. I got what should help you at my house, but I'm currently in class

:phone:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Still having trouble with DR...changed my controls to "X" = Special and "B" jump....and whoever does DR with Yoshi...can you do it with Sheer Will or does it take a few trys, i only did it like....4 times in the past 2 months xD
My controls are close to what you use.
X Special > B Jump. But what's different is R for Special.

I noticed whenever I tried DJC Egglay for Y+X It seemed to have different inputs and made me mess up Reverse Egglays off stage. So I tried R For special and it was fine.
For DR I really cannot figure out how the other Yoshi mains get YBC down so easily so I go with YYA which helps me quite alot. Along with getting Ledge DR timing right with YYA; that's basically how I got my timing down for DR with YYA and I find this method much easier outside of doing YBC.

Top Bottom