• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Yoshi FAQ/Q&A Thread -- [Please look here before posting!]

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
You can jab, nair and bair to beat arrows and jolts. So umm for pit if you really think you have to beat them you can bair through it, and for pika you can walk and jab them. You can also throw eggs back at Pika if you want to. I can't really think of anything else lol

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
Thanks,

I mean, it should be pretty simple, but my normal methods don't work too well, wanted some new input

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I usually walking ftilt pika's jolts cuz then we dont have to time jab and you dont stop walking.

AfRo ToAd

Smash Cadet
NNID
AfRo_ToAd
Hey guys! Ummm...iVE been maining Yoshi for 2 years now..& iWAS wondering..is it possible to use/do his Egg throw REVERSE with sheer will?? Like..when u do Egg toss..you go backwards in the air?? Reverse Egg Toss...

iUSE the GC controller btw

if its possible..could you plz explain?? Thx :p

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Yeah it is, and here's how it works. To throw forward and go jump backwards you have to tap or hold forward directly before using eggtoss, then flick backwards immediately after pressing up b. For a full reverse (flip both direction and momentum) just flick backwards directly after using up b.

Sharky

Smash Master
against pika I'd just go with a stage you're comfortable on, I like pictochat and castle siege, personally.

Sharky

Smash Master
you can cancel your double jump with any special, he just double jumped and egg layed, you aren't missing any super complicated technique, it's just what you see lol.

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
you can cancel your double jump with any special, he just double jumped and egg layed, you aren't missing any super complicated technique, it's just what you see lol.
When you say cancel with any special, I assume you mean with Yoshi's Egg Lay and other characters specials. That doesn't happen with any other Yoshi specials because they're different? I've never tried it, but it looked cool lol

Is that really the first time you've seen it? lol Its a Double Jump Egglay. BnB stuff right thar. It helps alot with mobility and offense.
>< I saw it in another Polt vid, never knew how though. BnB? It looks useful. It's really just DJ > Egg Lay quickly?

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
When you say cancel with any special, I assume you mean with Yoshi's Egg Lay and other characters specials. That doesn't happen with any other Yoshi specials because they're different? I've never tried it, but it looked cool lol

>< I saw it in another Polt vid, never knew how though. BnB? It looks useful. It's really just DJ > Egg Lay quickly?
Egg lay and the various ways you can use it (double jump cancel, b-reverse, etc.) are amazing. Learn it and love it. When you do learn it, you will love it. <3

BnB = Bread and Butter. It's not another fancy term, don't worry. =P

by any special, I mean you can cancel his double jump with egg lay, egg roll, and egg toss.
Technically, ground pound cancels our double jump too. =D

10derps

:005:

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
Egg lay and the various ways you can use it (double jump cancel, b-reverse, etc.) are amazing. Learn it and love it. When you do learn it, you will love it. <3

BnB = Bread and Butter. It's not another fancy term, don't worry. =P

Technically, ground pound cancels our double jump too. =D

10derps

Still need to work on B-Reverse Egg Lay. Failing and doing Egg Roll sucks :/

Lol thanks. I was scared for second

So they all do, but not with the same effect as Egg Lay. Gotcha

Thanks Guys

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Yeah, getting B-reverses going consistently is frustrating at first (especially when you get a move like egg roll to come out when you mess up) but once you get the muscle memory down, it gets really easy to do. Just keep at it, and you'll get there. =]

OnlyUseMeNades

Smash Journeyman
Oh, don't worry. I'm still working on that myself. ^_^
At least when I mess up with Snake, it's just the missile, which is not quite as bad. (:

Yeah, getting B-reverses going consistently is frustrating at first (especially when you get a move like egg roll to come out when you mess up) but once you get the muscle memory down, it gets really easy to do. Just keep at it, and you'll get there. =]
Are there different timing for different moves? It seem slightly different than Snake's

Yikarur

Smash Master
you b-reverse if you hold in the opposite direction in the fourth frame of the special, doesn't matter which kind of special as long as it is reversable. So actually it shouldn't really differ. (especially that you move the stick different because you do an up special first)

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
All those techs are easy, yall need more techskill :<. Question, I remember reading that Sheik can Crouch Slide on a slope to travel pretty good distance. Can we do this?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I think we can but only a little, not as much as sheik. Then again, not 100%.

AfRo ToAd

Smash Cadet
NNID
AfRo_ToAd
hey guys...its me again...just wanna know is dragonic reverse possible with a gc controller?? iREALLY wanna master this technique!! >:D

and if its possible, how????

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
If you switch your controls so that your B button is jump and X button is special, you can flick your thumb down the controller pushing the Y button, B button, and down on the C stick (the yellow one) in that order. That will make you jump twice as Y and B are both jump, and then attack with the C stick making DR. It takes practice and you won't get it right away, but trust us when we say it's the best/easiest way. And as for learning how to use new controls, just play with that setup for a couple hours. At first you'll most likely hate it and do horrible, but give it time and it'll be worth it.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
My DR guides coming soon! Should i make a new Thread when I'm done? Or do I just throw it somewhere? Also another question, has anyone tried to DR super jump up to a high recovering snake? I wanna know how effective it is. I tried it once but i missed the upair

AfRo ToAd

Smash Cadet
NNID
AfRo_ToAd
Ok!! Thanks dude!! iWiLL try this NOW!! Your smart Zgashi!! :p

Thanks a billion!! > ET <

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Quick question... since early 09, I've always been told that Ganon can get out of Yoshi's CG to spike. Most Yoshi's never even seem to bother to try it because they seem to be under the same impression too. And when they do, it usually doesn't land when I DI down and Uair.

I always thought you couldn't DI grab releases though so... should Yoshi have a guaranteed CG spike on Ganon? If it is escape-able, then what's the proper way to do it?

Yikarur

Smash Master
you can escape by just hold away, the uair isn't necessary but you get a hit for the try lol
you can't DI Grab Releases but the fact is that Yoshi can't hit Ganon with the fair within the 50 frames he can't move, Yoshi probably hits in 52 or 53 so he can move away from frame 51, thats enough to avoid the spike.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Good answer, thanks for the quick reply.

edit: actually thinking about it a bit more, what can Ganon do in those 2-3 frames to avoid getting hit by the Fair? I doubt he can move far enough to the side to avoid the Fair altogether, and I don't think the Uair would come out fast enough.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Ganon actually does move far enough away to avoid the Fair. He releases pretty low, so there's a lot of distance to travel, and even after he's free, he's still falling at the speed he normally falls at. We barely end up hitting him, so continuing to move away just a little would cause the miss.

AfRo ToAd

Smash Cadet
NNID
AfRo_ToAd
Alright so...about DR..Ive changed the controls to where X is Special & B is Jump & I love it! I cant go back to default, but Im still havin trouble with DR!! I Press Y and flick my thumb to press B and have my Thumb flick off the C stick. So im Pressing/Flicking " Y, B, C Stick " Really fast but its not working..What I end up doing is a D-Jump then D-Air Or a Fair.

This is REALLY hard & Ive been doing this for like 2 Weeks...What does DR do & what should it look like?

NE1 wanna show me DR??

FC is 5284-9833-9330, dont need a match, just a guide on DR

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
That just means you're flicking too slow. You have to get all 3 inputs in in about 1/10th of a second.

Top Bottom