• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Snake Video Critique Thread!

SolarSkurge

Smash Journeyman
I watched the first two matches.

Match 1: You were in the air way too much, and NEVER use Fair as an approach.

Match 2: You double jump everything. I noticed you didn't do it much near the end, but it shouldn't be done at all in the first place. Try to just full hop c4's and Nairs. The second jump is one of Snakes only air defenses, and you need to make sure you don't waste it on one attack.

SolarSkurge

Smash Journeyman
Match 1: Um.. just camp more, and make sure you leave a mine and c4 at a good distance.

Match 2: You're always gonna have the advantage against Mario users here. Due to Mario's ability to so freely juggle Snake, a stage with platforms is always ideal. Make sure to have at least one platform armed with an explosive though.

On another note, I love your choice of music.

Mike2

Smash Ace
Not a full critique but just a few random things about sonic: placing a c4 next the ledge on one of the sides of YI isn't a bad idea IMO(I usually just ban the stage since Picto is no longer legal). Sonic can punish your grenade toss and lob even at mid range. I usually shield drop one and have it near me or in front of me. Makes it harder to approach with his spindash bs. Just dont get grabbed. Sonic really wants to bait you into something laggy. Don't fall for this. Just be patient and don't get punished for stupid stuff. Machine gun jab beats or clanks spin dash approaches most of the time. They like to buffer a ftilt right afterwards. Be ready for it. You may be able to buffer you shield in time though I'm not sure because I havent played around with this. Been meaning to try it. Also every Sonic wants to time you out :p

And fair is a really bad move FYI :p

:phone:

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Match 1: Um.. just camp more, and make sure you leave a mine and c4 at a good distance.

Match 2: You're always gonna have the advantage against Mario users here. Due to Mario's ability to so freely juggle Snake, a stage with platforms is always ideal. Make sure to have at least one platform armed with an explosive though.

On another note, I love your choice of music.
thanks
and that music is on my friend's (dr.yogi's) wii lol

SolarSkurge

Smash Journeyman
Someone should critique mine as well please lol
I got you covered. You did well against that Marth, but let me address the seen flaws.

1: Never Fair as an approach. I saw you do it a couple times and that is a nono.

2: When playing marth, fastfall bair isn't gonna be too effective. It's best to just land away from him, gain your footing, and set up.

3: Be careful with the use of the nair. From the looks of it you would just short hop and do it. Your best options are to full hop so that you pull off the entire move (you can also double jump but it isn't recommended). Your best options there would be to use some sort of tilt or jab cancel into a roll or perhaps a grab (again, not recommended, very rare opportunities where it would be used.), though you must be wary when doing so with Marth, as the Dolphin Slash will punish a LOT of Snakes moves.

PEACE7

Smash Champion
I got you covered. You did well against that Marth, but let me address the seen flaws.

1: Never Fair as an approach. I saw you do it a couple times and that is a nono.

2: When playing marth, fastfall bair isn't gonna be too effective. It's best to just land away from him, gain your footing, and set up.

3: Be careful with the use of the nair. From the looks of it you would just short hop and do it. Your best options are to full hop so that you pull off the entire move (you can also double jump but it isn't recommended). Your best options there would be to use some sort of tilt or jab cancel into a roll or perhaps a grab (again, not recommended, very rare opportunities where it would be used.), though you must be wary when doing so with Marth, as the Dolphin Slash will punish a LOT of Snakes moves.
Thank you so much man.
You pointed out good things i didn't notice and could deff work on thanks again

DiskaSM

Smash Apprentice
Not a full critique but just a few random things about sonic: placing a c4 next the ledge on one of the sides of YI isn't a bad idea IMO(I usually just ban the stage since Picto is no longer legal). Sonic can punish your grenade toss and lob even at mid range. I usually shield drop one and have it near me or in front of me. Makes it harder to approach with his spindash bs. Just dont get grabbed. Sonic really wants to bait you into something laggy. Don't fall for this. Just be patient and don't get punished for stupid stuff. Machine gun jab beats or clanks spin dash approaches most of the time. They like to buffer a ftilt right afterwards. Be ready for it. You may be able to buffer you shield in time though I'm not sure because I havent played around with this. Been meaning to try it. Also every Sonic wants to time you out :p

And fair is a really bad move FYI :p

:phone:
I'm gonna critique your match (I rarely critique matches so yeah) for you. I usually enjoy the Snake vs Sonic matchup a lot and I'm ok at it, I play people like Zero, Tesh, Might and I even beat Speed in a ranked set online a while back =P

Anyways I'm gonna rattle off my comments on your video so enjoy. I may sound harsh but I hope by picking on your mistakes, you may notice them yourself and be able to improve.

Right off the start, he went in on you. You should have pulled a nade right away to limit his attack options. Like Mike said Sonics like to grab, and they like to wait for you to do something laggy and then punish. Nades are fast, they're your friend in this MU. If you think Sonic will grab, just roll away or spotdodge usually, or pivot grab. Pivot grab, if you can time it, is AMAZING in this MU. Also if they like to approach with Spindash, machine gun jab is pretty good like Mike said. If it clanks with Spindash, try jabbing fast again or grab/ftilt.

Once he got you in the air, you cyphered. It's a good option but you should have just double jumped if you could have. Wait for them to follow up, then airdodge (sometimes an aerial is good too, it's all mindgames). If you do have to cypher at low damage, go straight up so you're not directly above him and so you have the option to land on the stage, or to go for the ledge.

0:08 - Fair worked but it was not a good reward for the risk. Try nair next time.

0:10 - nice utilt, that was a good read. He punished your roll though. When you utilt like that at low damage, you should try running away and then pivot grabbing if he lands close to you. This way, you'll be able to punish if he gets close and if not, you'll get away. Rolling is not good very much, especially against Sonic.

0:15 - nice pivots to get away. he read your spotdodge though, so next time try Ftilt1 or a single jab to bait him in that situation. Or grabbing him. On a platform, that has good damage potential if you're good at tech chasing, as it limits his options a lot.

0:21 - good use of nades and c4, try and keep the stage set up on him. Motion sensor if you have an opening to quickly plant one is really nice in this MU. Just make sure you have enough room to safely plant it (usually if he gets knocked away with something powerful, or at high damage).

0:28 - NEVER dacus if you see him charging a spin dash (Spin dash beats it almost 100% of the time - also mortar itself will be beaten by spindash too, it's stupid). In this MU I mostly recommend dash attack if you have to approach quickly. Dacus is just not very good vs Sonic.

0:32 - work on your DI a bit. DI up more, since you have more options to recover that way. Also, airdodging offstage was really bad, especially since your c4 was on the stage. This forced you to recover close to the edge (which is really bad for Snake - you're lucky he didn't cypher grab you).

0:36 - The moment you saw you weren't gonna make it, you should have c4'd (I assume the nikita was a mistake, if so then that sucks). Make sure you do not fast fall when setting the c4 off. Work on that a bit more. It happens to all of us and it's kinda sad when it does. D:

0:41 - Fsmash? That rarely works on Sonic unless he's recovering, and even then, not often. This move is basically a free punish for Sonic, so avoid it.

0:43 - It's really hard to punish spin dashes from the air. Focus on getting nades out and setting up the stage.

0:50 - What are you waiting for? Plant a c4 on the platform, drop nade, etc. Get the stage set up. xD

0:52 - failed Dacus probably.

0:54 - he read your spotdodge. Also be aware Sonics like to roll behind you and grab.

0:56 - you shouldn't have cyphered, cause it's too slow and you were too close to him. Just head for the ground.

1:02 - good nair, pity he SDI'd it.

1:06 - Don't use fair, like almost ever. It's way too slow. Airdodge or do one of your three quicker aerials (uair, bair, nair), or just drop back and go for the side of the stage.

1:09 - Sonics like to use homing attack to punish your slow recovery. if he does this, you can try airdodging/nair. In fact I like to bait Sonics into following me up when I recover, I've gotten a LOT of kills on them by hitting them instead, which eventually led to them being a lot more careful about punishing me in the air. Your uair (if you can sweetspot it) will kill them VERY early at the top of the screen. make them scared to chase you, but as for homing attack, airdodging is best.

1:14 - nice grab. Since the nade was gonna blow up you should have fthrown him.

1:19 - when on platforms, shield drop a lot of nades to make them be more careful in attacking you. The smarter ones will try to wait for your shield to go down so mix it up if that happens.

1:27 - lol he sd'd. xD

1:30 - Planting the motion sensor was a good idea. Rolling behind him was not. I would just full hop a bair, moving away, in that situation. Be aware Sonics love to bait rolls and charge fsmashes. If they can't kill you with that move, they have to use bair usually (which they usually space with, so it's stale and you live longer).

1:34 - nice c4, lol.

1:39 - good reads. don't Snakedash though. As you see it usually gets you punished.

1:46 - Try leaving the c4 put, you don't have to detonate it right way. It leaves great stage control for you if you leave it be.

2:00 - He's too close, don't risk dropping a c4.

2:02 - Cypher is underrated, proof here.

2:18 - Lol, nice c4.

2:26 - Like I said before they love to do that up b - uair thingy, just hit them out of it, airdodge, or if you're feeling risky, pull a nade (sometimes if your damage is lower than theirs it will kill them but not you, xD).

GG.

I played this Sonic at HOBO and beat him in almost all our friendlies. Play him again and you may get him. Keep working on your Snake.

Btw I'm know as Diska. =P

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
The only things I can say is the Dash Attack is awesome in this mu imo, because if they have a banana in their hand you can pretty much just run at them, & cover a good deal of their option. I say that because if you can guess when they will throw their banana then you can Dash Attack, take their banana, & potentially hit them depending on how close you are to them. If they just shield you can simply Dash Grab. Also I do realize that doesn't cover spot dodging though. o-o Also that Diddy didn't seem to keep track of your mines at all lol. =p

C.J.

Smash Master
I'll look at them Sunday. In the meantime, go to the Marth boards and there's a huge guide from the Marth perspective on the MU. You can extrapolate from there in case you have a tourny Saturday you wanted help before. As for vs Mario just play super safe and basic and keep nades everywhere. Don't try to do anything fancy. I don't think that you'd be facing a Mario in tourny immediately so I'll just deal with that Sunday.

mikeray4

Smash Ace
argh tips versus the helmeted mother****er?
http://youtu.be/wOE_U0TEZew

also vs falco. note: i had just remembered the grab release stuff and was trying to kill him with that instead of utilt. as you can see it comes back to bite me in the *** lol but beyond that, tips for this matchup?
http://youtu.be/EPi4O9aWYl8
I have a couple tips.

when playing both those match ups dont concern yourself with the damage out ratio. As long as you are even in stocks(or you have more) you always have a better chance at winning then they do. And if you do have less stocks then them. just focus on making the stocks even again. dont worry how much damage you might have to take to do so. (This doesnt mean fish for kills)

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Straight up I suck against falco. Im wondering how I can punish people for rolling behind me or any other recommendations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzjTBwdU-qc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNxgK9XROFY
When you get in the position where the Falco is near the ledge, & your approaching him, shield dropping a grenade can possibly either hit him out of his illusion, or just scare him from doing so. Also dropping c4 while you're in the air, & they are following you, can either scare them away, or you can blow it up, & hit them. Also don't mortar slide near Falco when you're in CG %, because it's just not worth it lol. Also I don't think you should try, & DI with nair.

I may just be wrong though. T_T

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
Tips against falco:

-Sometimes I run up to Falcos and just roll back to bait an illusion and punish accordingly.
-EVERYBODY DO THE FALSE EDGEGUARD! I named it this because I'm the only to do this in the Falco MU and it *****. Whenever you get a Falco offstage, plant a landmine directly in the center of the stage, and edge guard using your tilts and grabs at the edge when they grab the ledge. (This covers phantasm and rolling, and it destroys that pesky demon bird.) I've tried it on top Falcos in my area (Keitaro, Bleachigo) and it gets the job done.
-If you know about RCO landing lag, and you manage to hit Falco int he air after he does a Firebird or phantasm, and you manage to grab him: grab release to shield dash uptilt works. Falco is in **** tons load of lag. Otherwise, tech chase or GR chain grab.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Or use pikachu like i am now ;)

Lol jk.

In all seriousness i like banning battlefield and letting them go to fd cuz of the gr chaingrab. Once you have it down the amount of benefit you can get from 1 grab is absolutely ridiculous. Especially in terms of refreshing moves and edgeguarding.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
False is bad. He loses to cheerleaders.

Give me a G, give me another G!

(It spells "GG," cuz you're ****ing ugly too.)

(You should mention that JC-throwing a grenade up is tricky because a lot of us try to reflect it up. It's mad annoying when you do that mixup.)

Top Bottom