• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Snake Video Critique Thread!

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful

From Ekans to Arbok

Snake Critique Thread

So this forum topic lacked a critique itself thread. So here's one! I've seen many people make new threads asking others to critique their Snake. This will help clean up the Snake boards and make it look more organized. So work with me here, guys!

Post a video of you playing friendlies/tournaments/money matches/etc with someone and ask for advice. It would be easier if you were actually trying and not posting any sandbagging matches. This is to help people better their Snake. People can post suggestions, ideas, what not to do/to do about your video to help out.

Les Rules:
1. No sandbagging videos
2. Actually try
3. Don't post too many videos in one go. Not that many people will look at 15 videos that you posted.
4. How you record doesn't matter. Whether it's directly from a dazzle or someone holding a camera. Just make sure it's viewable.
5. Preferable YouTube. Other uploading sites are okay; highly don't suggest making someone download.
6. Be Serious; People are here to help! Not to goof around.
7. Stay on topic!
8. Don't be rude or flame videos.
9. Have fun!

Remember! This is to help each other! So try not to make new threads and come here if you need help/have a question about a match you've done.

Navn

Smash Apprentice
I tried posting these in an earlier thread, but i didn't get much response. I'd prefer it if you don't mention the obvious stuff, since it's mainly just me doing some wrong inputs or something. I'd prefer comments on general playstyle and spacing errors or stupid / useless actions.

Match1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7CnXHZ_4qg

Match2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxweHtAeG1g

I've some other videos, but one of those / or both will do :)

Also, critique my avatar.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
After watching both of those, I think the #1 thing you need to work on is to STOP ROLLING. There were many times where the MK would just start Dsmash spamming and you'd roll behind him for whatever reason and just get hit. The MK also caught onto your rolling patterns pretty fast, and punished fairly well.

Navn

Smash Apprentice
Haha, you're absolutely right. I don't think my rolling problem is that evident in general (i think i counted like 3 rolls in 2 minutes in one of the matches) - but the specific cases with me rolling behind MK that you mention are just plain stupid, i agree :)

etecoon

Smash Hero
when was there ever a rule on this board stating that you couldn't make a thread for your own video critique?

if you really want to centralize it all to one topic which makes it extremely convenient to simply ignore then fine but it's not like the way it was done before was causing any kind of problem.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
@Etecoon, I think the problem was that there were just many threads for one and it makes things messy is all. The Snake boards haven't been organized much. People create threads showing off their combo videos, asking for critique, or asking a question when it simply could be asked in the FAQ/Q&A thread. XP But lately the Snake boards have been spam. I really hope things will get on track soon, though!

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
Haha, you're absolutely right. I don't think my rolling problem is that evident in general (i think i counted like 3 rolls in 2 minutes in one of the matches) - but the specific cases with me rolling behind MK that you mention are just plain stupid, i agree :)
Rolling was the biggest problem, but you should also watch for his habits. Like how he ALWAYS glide attacked, in a lot of cases at higher percents, you could've had a grenade in hand and sheilded the glide attack as well.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
I think he should get better at handling grenades more. He should try and approach with a grenade from his back side and shield. His timing with grenades were kind of off. I noticed once he pulls out a grenade he'd just shield for a long time waiting until it explodes which his shield almost broke. He should bair more than uair when DI'ing. Practice tech chasing and learn to air dodge instead of taking all those hits. He never dacus'd either. I'm assuming he doesn't know how so he should practice that as well! Try and get him to read some threads here on the boards.

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
It might be just me, but I felt like a lot of your grenade tosses didn't make any sense gheb. Like you want to throw some at wario, and somewhere you think he might go, and you want to cover the other area he might land basically. Also, you can shield drop full-hop bair and pick up the grenade and throw out a pretty safe bair. The wario was smart and pretty good at avoiding your stuff for sure, but you also tossed a lot of nades off stage and some in places that didn't make much sense like bouncing off the ground near yourself when he wasn't approaching. Also, you seemed to whip out the fsmash for no really amazing reason. You might want to toss out more pivot grabs also.

Scatt - Probably work on your edgeguarding and edge hugging skills, as you could have gotten falco a few times earlier than you did. You have the ability to leave **** on the stage that makes it scary to land on stage, and then you can edgehug and get a kill that way possibly. Also, you took a lot of risks against wario that you should have gotten punished for, he missed two cypher grabs/bites, so be more careful about that.

MC - Ankoku's marth doesn't seem to really be spacing his aerials too well and makes a lot of mistakes that marths I play don't usually. They usually apply shield pressure, and juggle harder, stuff like that. Can't really critique you off those matches.

TwentyTwo

Smash Ace
It's not necessarily wario specific but it's probably more effective against him as he just runs and jumps around air dodging. So it does work against others, but those that stay in the air for extended periods of time or when they approach from the air. Off the top of my head, peach, kirby's bair approach.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Awesome, Kirby is also a match-up that gave me some trouble at that tournament. It's true though that my grenade game was too one-sided and predictable.

About the fsmash thing: The one fsmash I got grabbed out of was the result of an input error. I did not want to use that fsmash there. The other fsmashes I think were fine. If the opponent is close to the ledge he can't roll away and the fsmash pushes him to the ledge which makes it safe to use.

:059:

Max113

Smash Apprentice
Could someone record/critique 2 matches for me? I am without the means at the moment... :[

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
You should be more campy! You're very very aggressive! I also noticed you used like zero grenades. And you love to roll a lot. XD; It's a habit everyone does, though! So stop doing it! It also looks like you just put C4's anywhere and explode them any time and you're just getting punished for you. You're always always trying to go for grabs which is good but you're just running and attempting to grab and he won't let you do that. Grab when you think he's going to shield.
The videos are kind of old so maybe you should take some new ones and ask again! You probably improved since November!

frayike

Smash Cadet

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
Uhm! To change your name you have to buy Premium. It's only $4.00 for three months. You get two name-change requests, the ability to prank someone, a green name, and access to the Disco Room. But that's the only way.

Either way, your Snake is really decent! You did some things and got punished for it, but I think those were obvious in the video. At the end when trying to get back on stage you shouldn't have let yourself open like that. You bair which left you in lag and you got grabbed because of it. Pikachu is generally going to go for grabs and going to try and be aggressive so watch out for that. Uh.. I notice every time you try and approach you got hit for it. I also notice you don't approach with a grenade in hand. You always drop it, pick it up, and throw it. But that's about it. Overall, I like your Snake!

frayike

Smash Cadet
Thank you day. I do need to approach with a grenade in hand more often but yes i feel whenever i try to appoach anyone I end up getting hit which is odd. idk maybe more spacing. Thanks for the help I will try to be more defensive and get those grenades close to me. I don't know if I want to go through the hassle just for a name change haha I just think it would be easier to leave it in my sig and deal with those that still call me frayike. I will post more vids on here soon of a recent tournament that I feel I did decent at. I think those vids show more variation of me and against marth which I have trouble with.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
Sorry for the wait! But yeah! You could also have bad timing as well. And spacing is really important when it comes to Brawl.
Brawl = patience and thinking.
And can't wait to see more videos! And yeah, you could always make a new account as well? XP But premium isn't that bad.

Shinde425

Smash Apprentice

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
Ung. I'll try and look through those videos tonight. Promise.

Although, other Snake players should watch and help your fellow Snakes out as well.

Also, I think SuSa was the one that created the Ekans reference. As for it being stupid, I think it fits quite well.

etecoon

Smash Hero
afro is offended by the pokemon reference because he considers it an affront to snake's manliness because real men are supposed to be completely insecure with liking cute things

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
that kittens eyes....you could get lost in them. its like they're staring into your soul and judging you and your manliness which is apparently lacking in me cause that cat is awesomely cute

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I suggest this thread be stickied, since critique threads normally don't see as much activity as the FAQ or social thread, but is important to keep on the front page so that ppl don't miss it and make other critique threads.

Top Bottom