• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Should/Will Metaknight be banned?" Thread (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Ha, true I forgot about that wreckage.

I was just saying if you ban MK you really should ban snake too, I mean they're like a package deal right?
In as much as Snake has one bad match-up, no.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Overswarm really does know what he is talking about.

We only have one Meta player who comes to tourneys and no one really cared about Meta, until recently. here are some examples of what is happening here:

1. One of our top ten smashers plays a **** diddy and does extremely well vs almost everyone. Last week he got worked by our meta player, so he decided to pick up meta in the tourney this last saturday he was playing mostly Meta against everyone and doing just as good, if not better, as his Diddy would have.

2. three other players have also recently switched their mains over to Meta recently.

3. The meta player is my best friend and we play each other many hours each week. He beats me very consistently even though we are of pretty even skill and we have both been playing brawl the exact same amount of time (because I am the only person he ever smashes with, not counting tourneys).

On Thursday, after getting sick of getting worked with my mains, snake and oli, I was frustrated and decided to see how I did in Meta dittos. I had never really used Meta before and within the hour my Meta was doing better and winning more than any of my other characters had ever done. I then decided that if I ever go up against a Meta in tourney I was going to counter with Meta.

4. In the tourney I mentioned on Saturday, I got to the finals and I was playing against an extremely good sonic player who had only ever lost to two other players in tournament before (1st in state and my Meta friend). He counter picked Rainbow Cruise - which is bad for both of my mains, snake and olimar and really good for sonic- and I thought I was screwed and had lost the match no matter what. I decided to go Meta just for the heck of it. I two stocked him. Seeing how well my Meta did against him I finished out the rest of the set with Meta and didn't come close to losing another match. My Meta did better than my mains ever have, and probably ever will against him.

This is probably my number one reason for wanting him banned. Remember, I had only been using Meta since Thursday. No one should be able to beat the top in state with a character they have only been using for the past two days, let alone two stock him, myself included.

I have been talking to my Meta friend about this and even he agrees that Meta should be banned after reading part of this thread and seeing our experience at the tourney on Saturday. He thinks that he should be banned and he is the only one in the entire state who will be greatly impacted because he has been maining Meta since the beginning and has rarely used any other character.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Or Olimar, Or DK, or Falco (Falco did have an advantage on him).

Or hell, play all four in the tournament and just laugh as Snakes try in vain to adjust.

lol.
Don't forget Wario.

Also, more Olimar's and DK's is great for Peaches like myself.

Less MK's means more characters that us mid tiers can counter.

Mmac

Smash Lord
1. It was online.

2. We didn't have stage bans and you CP'd me to a stage with a walk-off and I didn't feel like camping the second transformation of Castle Siege. Since there were no bans, I switched.

3. Since the chaingrab was discovered, you were the first Yoshi I had ever played. I have since played a few more with posistive results on my end.
1. I don't see how the fact it's online has any significance due to the fact that both players suffer from the same amount of delay. If we met and played in real life, it will probably generate the same general results.

2. Even if Stage Bans were in play, I could easily pick one of the other Hard Counterpick stages Yoshi has on MetaKnight.

3. That's a long time you know. The Chaingrab was discovered about a month after the US Release. Anyways, as rare as Yoshi Mains are, Good Yoshi mains are even rarer. Only about 1/3 are actually good. I can't really judge if the ones you played recently were good or not.

D

Deleted member

lotsa text
Wow, Meta Knight is truly infectious. At a rate like that, the character will have taken over like I theorised (fifty-percent of the populace) by the end of the year, unless he's banned. Immediate action needs to take effect! :chuckle:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Lets not forget about TL lol
Oh yes, Chip ***** Snakes. Is this a common Toon Link thing?

Even Zero Suit Samus and regular Samus have at the very least neutral matchups against Snake.

There's a lot of Snake counters. He COUNTERS a ton of characters, but is in turn countered by quite a few.

G&W is probably going to be the MK replacement. He's similarly easy to pick up, and has similarly good matchups. In fact, he has only two genuinely bad matchups with MK gone- Toon Link (a counter), and Marth- and only a couple neutral matchups (Olimar, DK, and one or two others I think).

Marth is in line as well. He doesn't counter as many characters as G&W does, and has a LOT more neutral matchups than G&W does, but he has very few if any truly bad matchups. Well rounded.

D

Deleted member

This is interesting...

Even from the latest page of this thread, you see how much the tournament scene will indeed open if MK is banned. Dedede counters Snake, G&W counters Dedede, G&W has mostly even match-ups... scratch that, I just read the above post, he has mainly counters but he's doable. The fact TL counters him is golden.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
DDD is his most glaring weakness, but Donkey Kong, Pikachu, and even Diddy can give Snake a lot of trouble.
And don't forget about all the characters that counter those characters. In other words, the entire cast (except falcon QQ). Diversity ahoy!

Sounds like that tournament will be alot of FUN!

NeoCrono

Smash Ace
This is interesting...

Even from the latest page of this thread, you see how much the tournament scene will indeed open if MK is banned. Dedede counters Snake, G&W counters Dedede, G&W has mostly even match-ups... scratch that, I just read the above post, he has mainly counters but he's doable. The fact TL counters him is golden.
Yeah, if banned. The whole cast becomes playable, instead of just one person dominating everything.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Oh yes, Chip ***** Snakes. Is this a common Toon Link thing?

Even Zero Suit Samus and regular Samus have at the very least neutral matchups against Snake.

There's a lot of Snake counters. He COUNTERS a ton of characters, but is in turn countered by quite a few.

G&W is probably going to be the MK replacement. He's similarly easy to pick up, and has similarly good matchups. In fact, he has only two genuinely bad matchups with MK gone- Toon Link (a counter), and Marth- and only a couple neutral matchups (Olimar, DK, and one or two others I think).

Marth is in line as well. He doesn't counter as many characters as G&W does, and has a LOT more neutral matchups than G&W does, but he has very few if any truly bad matchups. Well rounded.
I can see G&W being the MK replacement, I had a far easier time picking him up than MK and if you though MK's Dsmash was stupid G&W is just as fast but hits on both sides at once rather than one than the other. I still don't get why G&W isn't the "best" and most bannable in the game, is it the speed or something?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
OS said:
There has been a lot of talk of "counters".

DKs, like Bum, have been beaten. Inui's fresh and untested MK beat him.

Diddys, like Ninjalink, have been beaten. Inui again.

Snakes have been beaten and DSF, the best one, has picked up MK.

Lucario? Azen's the only one and he even switches to MK when push comes to shove.

G&W? This matchup has been increasingly falling in MKs favor as more info is discovered.

ROB is hard countered by MK. I invented the character, built him from the ground up, and switched to MK.

Yoshi? No. It's not even an option.
Wheres WARIO.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
I can see G&W being the MK replacement, I had a far easier time picking him up than MK and if you though MK's Dsmash was stupid G&W is just as fast but hits on both sides at once rather than one than the other. I still don't get why G&W isn't the "best" and most bannable in the game, is it the speed or something?
Less range than MK, worse recovery, lighter, long cool down time on several moves, not many "safe" approaches.

:)

Fletch

Smash Master
1. I don't see how the fact it's online has any significance due to the fact that both players suffer from the same amount of delay. If we met and played in real life, it will probably generate the same general results.

2. Even if Stage Bans were in play, I could easily pick one of the other Hard Counterpick stages Yoshi has on MetaKnight.

3. That's a long time you know. The Chaingrab was discovered about a month after the US Release. Anyways, as rare as Yoshi Mains are, Good Yoshi mains are even rarer. Only about 1/3 are actually good. I can't really judge if the ones you played recently were good or not.
I usually like your posts, but that couldn't have been serious. Are you saying that online matches = in person matches? It doesn't matter if you beat him online, you might just be a better online player, which is nearly completely irrelevant due to the vast differences of online play.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
GnW is indeed easier to play at a basic level. However, I destroy basic GnW's with Marth because they have predictable approaches and predictable strategies. Better GnW's are a force to be reckoned with, however, but certainly not ban status

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Let's list them!

Snake is countered by:
DDD, Donkey Kong, Wario, Falco

Snake goes even with:
Pikachu, Diddy, Peach, ZSS, Samus, Pit, Toon Link, ROB, maybe more I can't think of right now

Game & Watch is countered by:
Toon Link, Marth, Snake (?)

Game & Watch goes even with:
Olimar, DK, maybe Diddy?

Marth is counted by:
No one? (excepting MK)

Marth goes even with:
Like half the cast

Sound accurate? I think this makes G&W the best choice, except that the Marth players will be able to take out the G&W's, and many characters can fight the Marth's just fine. The Snakes will also give the Game&Watches trouble, which means there will be a lot of Snakes, but if you pick up a character that counters Snake, you'll probably be able to go even with the Marth as well, and only worry about G&W.

DK becomes an especially good choice because he counters Snake and goes even with G&W and I think Marth. More DK's means more DDD's just to counter DK. More DDD's hurts Snake even more, but helps G&W along.

Of course, my lovely Peach will **** DK and DDD and Snake (Snake is my favorite matchup, despite it only being even). I might need to pick up a secondary for G&W, or I can hope the influx of Marth's and DK's will take him out for me and just practice the matchup (G&W is Peach's worst matchup, Marth goes even, DK and DDD are disadvantaged).

I look forward to a world without MK. It would be interesting.

I still don't get why G&W isn't the "best" and most bannable in the game, is it the speed or something?
Actually, I have a lot more trouble with G&W than MK, but the difference is that G&W can be counterpicked. Take Toon Link or Snake or Marth and you have the advantage. You can't do that with MK.

GnW is indeed easier to play at a basic level. However, I destroy basic GnW's with Marth because they have predictable approaches and predictable strategies. Better GnW's are a force to be reckoned with, however, but certainly not ban status
You underestimate G&W, because you have a character that can defeat his predictable approach. For 90% of characters, his predictable approach (bair) is not punishable. Toon Link (bombs), Marth (counter and sword range), and Snake (grenades and tilt range) can, so it seems easy. :)

But this is EXACTLY why he shouldn't be banned- characters CAN beat him.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
They leave room for punishment. At the end of an imperfect GW attack, you can pretty much always hit him. This just isn't the case for meta.

Foxy

Smash Master
We only have one Meta player who comes to tourneys and no one really cared about Meta, until recently. here are some examples of what is happening here:

1. One of our top ten smashers plays a **** diddy and does extremely well vs almost everyone. Last week he got worked by our meta player, so he decided to pick up meta in the tourney this last saturday he was playing mostly Meta against everyone and doing just as good, if not better, as his Diddy would have.

2. three other players have also recently switched their mains over to Meta recently.

3. The meta player is my best friend and we play each other many hours each week. He beats me very consistently even though we are of pretty even skill and we have both been playing brawl the exact same amount of time (because I am the only person he ever smashes with, not counting tourneys).

On Thursday, after getting sick of getting worked with my mains, snake and oli, I was frustrated and decided to see how I did in Meta dittos. I had never really used Meta before and within the hour my Meta was doing better and winning more than any of my other characters had ever done. I then decided that if I ever go up against a Meta in tourney I was going to counter with Meta.

4. In the tourney I mentioned on Saturday, I got to the finals and I was playing against an extremely good sonic player who had only ever lost to two other players in tournament before (1st in state and my Meta friend). He counter picked Rainbow Cruise - which is bad for both of my mains, snake and olimar and really good for sonic- and I thought I was screwed and had lost the match no matter what. I decided to go Meta just for the heck of it. I two stocked him. Seeing how well my Meta did against him I finished out the rest of the set with Meta and didn't come close to losing another match. My Meta did better than my mains ever have, and probably ever will against him.

This is probably my number one reason for wanting him banned. Remember, I had only been using Meta since Thursday. No one should be able to beat the top in state with a character they have only been using for the past two days, let alone two stock him, myself included.

I have been talking to my Meta friend about this and even he agrees that Meta should be banned after reading part of this thread and seeing our experience at the tourney on Saturday. He thinks that he should be banned and he is the only one in the entire state who will be greatly impacted because he has been maining Meta since the beginning and has rarely used any other character.
Fantastic post, I think that more people need to acknowledge it.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
some good stuff.
And that's not even taking into account dual mains, secondaries, tertiaries, counterpicks and any other multitude of other optional characters players have. Aside from metaknight this game is quite the chess match.

However, there is still one character that really doesn't need a secondary, which is marth. However he doesn't **** the entire cast. Most characters can deal with him, or at the very least everyone has proficiency with a character that can deal with marth effectively.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I usually like your posts, but that couldn't have been serious. Are you saying that online matches = in person matches? It doesn't matter if you beat him online, you might just be a better online player, which is nearly completely irrelevant due to the vast differences of online play.
I didn't say that exactly. I'm well aware of the difference between offline play, and the .25 Second Delay on Online play. I said Generally the outcome will remain the same. I play just as well online as offline. Overswarm will do better Offline (Probably everyone does), but you also got to remember that most likely the person you are playing will do better offline also. You got to look at it both ways.

Zelc

Smash Cadet
They leave room for punishment. At the end of an imperfect GW attack, you can pretty much always hit him. This just isn't the case for meta.
Maybe that's why people feel so bad about MK? Perhaps player skill has a smaller effect in the MK matchup. You can't mindgame to bait out an attack and punish if MK is too lagless to punish.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Let's list them!

Snake is countered by:
DDD, Donkey Kong, Wario, Falco

Snake goes even with:
Pikachu, Diddy, Peach, ZSS, Samus, Pit, Toon Link, ROB, maybe more I can't think of right now

Game & Watch is countered by:
Toon Link, Marth, Snake (?)

Game & Watch goes even with:
Olimar, DK, maybe Diddy?

Marth is counted by:
No one? (excepting MK)

Marth goes even with:
Like half the cast

Sound accurate? I think this makes G&W the best choice, except that the Marth players will be able to take out the G&W's, and many characters can fight the Marth's just fine. The Snakes will also give the Game&Watches trouble, which means there will be a lot of Snakes, but if you pick up a character that counters Snake, you'll probably be able to go even with the Marth as well, and only worry about G&W.

DK becomes an especially good choice because he counters Snake and goes even with G&W and I think Marth. More DK's means more DDD's just to counter DK. More DDD's hurts Snake even more, but helps G&W along.

Of course, my lovely Peach will **** DK and DDD and Snake (Snake is my favorite matchup, despite it only being even). I might need to pick up a secondary for G&W, or I can hope the influx of Marth's and DK's will take him out for me and just practice the matchup (G&W is Peach's worst matchup, Marth goes even, DK and DDD are disadvantaged).

I look forward to a world without MK. It would be interesting.

I still don't get why G&W isn't the "best" and most bannable in the game, is it the speed or something?
Actually, I have a lot more trouble with G&W than MK, but the difference is that G&W can be counterpicked. Take Toon Link or Snake or Marth and you have the advantage. You can't do that with MK.

You underestimate G&W, because you have a character that can defeat his predictable approach. For 90% of characters, his predictable approach (bair) is not punishable. Toon Link (bombs), Marth (counter and sword range), and Snake (grenades and tilt range) can, so it seems easy. :)

But this is EXACTLY why he shouldn't be banned- characters CAN beat him.
However, there is still one character that really doesn't need a secondary, which is marth. However he doesn't **** the entire cast. Most characters can deal with him, or at the very least everyone has proficiency with a character that can deal with marth effectively.
Yep, but as I mentioned in my post, despite the fact that there are no counters and you don't need secondaries, you have a LOT of neutral matchups. Most people you fight will be going even with you if you play Marth- you'll rarely have the advantage, but you won't be disadvantaged either.

So if you main Marth with no secondaries, you simply have to be better than your opponent to win. Opposite of MK.
:chuckle:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
It looks like people are getting seriously close to banning MK. That's....interesting.

I just got done owning a Meta Knight (yes it was wifi) in 4 out of 5 games. They were all pretty close...but then he told me that he's only been using MK for 3-4 days. >_>

ehhh I still don't think he should be banned yet. YET.

D

Deleted member

The prospect of maining Marth probably just became a whole lot more delicious. Delicious, I tell you.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
This will probably be passed over, but I am going to give my number one reason as to why I think MK should be banned.

Some of you may know this, but I've thought MK is broken long before it become such a hot topic. I've started a lot of discussion on the matter (and unfortunately angered a lot of people), so I've covered almost all ends of the arguments.

The main reason I think MK should be banned:

No bad matchups or stages. When you go double blind first round, do you risk it and pick someone with at least 3 potential counters? Hell no! You go with the character that is not only a step above the rest, but has no weaknesses, bad matchups, or bad stages. Why risk it? Then there's....

Counterpicking. It is a huge part of the Smash tournament system. When you lose the first round of a set, you not only get to choose which stage you'd like to use, but you get to choose your character after your opponent. It gives you or your opponent the chance to win a match using unique stages and tactics.

When you main a character like Snake you really have to think wisely about your choice of character. Do you stay Snake because he is your best character, or do you change for fear of your opponent picking Falco, D3, or ROB? What if he picked Rainbow Cruise? It's a tough decision and it's a game of wits.

Unfortunately, Metaknight mains (or really even secondaries) do not have to worry about this. If you win the first round, it doesn't matter what stage your opponent picks. Once he picks it, you instantly know what to use. Because he has no counterpicks, character or stage wise, he is always and 100% the safe choice in the counterpick round. In a situation where one person should be able to use a unique stage and counter picking abilities to give himself an advantage, he achieves nothing because there is no situation where MK is at a disadvantage. It not only ruins our counterpicking system, but it also destroys diversity amongst characters because unless you are extremely gifted in Smash, you have to pick up MK at least as a secondary to remain tournament viable.

He is ALWAYS the 100% safe choice in any situation.

salaboB

Smash Champion
I'm fairly certain the host suffers less delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom