• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official "Should/Will Metaknight be banned?" Thread (LISTEN TO THE SBR PODCAST!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordXblade

Smash Apprentice
MvC is full of broken characters, Magneto isn't the only broken one.

3S doesn't suffer as much because of the ability to parry. And if I remember correctly, 2008 EVO's final 8 of 3S was eight Chun Lis. Whoopie.

Additionally, there's also no effective counter to Yun or Urien (last I can remember). The ridiculousness sort of balances out.
MvC has 3 broken characters, Storm, Sent, and Cable, and one mindlessly broken character, Magneto. The best way to fight MSP (Magneto/Storm/Psylocke for those that don't know) is to play MSP. Even Justin Wong, who was the undisputed overlord of Marvel before 2007, had to switch to MSP from his main team to be able to fight Yipes more effectively. Marvel players still don't ban Magneto, they fight him. They work that much harder knowing that he's that much more broken than what they're playing.

No, 3S suffers a **** ton even though parries exist. Go look up option selects, SGGK, and Kara throws, 3 things that help you combat parry fishing, and Chun-Li happens to be the best at them. Yes, Chun-Li did represent 5/8 of the top 8 at Evo, but they don't talk about banning her. After Evo, there were dozens of posts looking to discuss effective ways to combat Chun-Li, because she has no bad match ups. Yes, there are very effective ways to counter Yun, their names are Chun-Li, Ken, and Makoto. And you mentioning Urien let's me know you really don't know anything about the game. Urien is 8th or 9th at best. He gets annihilated by YCK.

Banning a character like MK will completely cut away its progress. In the Melee days, people developed their characters to fight Fox and Falco, and after M2K came along and ***** everyone with Marth, people found ways (Mango anyone?) to effectively combat Marth. Stop waving the ban stick.

Ulevo

Smash Master
^ omg 0.0 go OS

Also ulevo even if it is scrub talk it matters because tournaments need scrubs. Other wise there will be nothing but say 20 people who go for money not fun and that would be a pathetic prize pot.
I wasn't arguing that. Obviously there needs to be appeal in the tournament in order to keep a pool of players to keep a tournament scene.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Yoshi? No. It's not even an option.
How is it not ever an option? Out of the 2 sets we played, I won one and I probably would have won the 2nd one if you didn't switch to ROB.

But I do agree with your overall statement and comparison to Melee Fox. Fox needed Skill and Dedication to get to the place he is. Plus even at the maximum level, Falco, Marth, and Sheik were practically at the same level of play he was.

MetaKnight requires only basic skill to master, and no other character can compete with him at the same level of play he's currently is.

NeoCrono

Smash Ace
Sure, I could main ROB and do well in the midwest... but if I ever wanted to travel I'd be screwed simply because I wasn't playing MK.

There has been a lot of talk of "counters".

DKs, like Bum, have been beaten. Inui's fresh and untested MK beat him.

Diddys, like Ninjalink, have been beaten. Inui again.

Snakes have been beaten and DSF, the best one, has picked up MK.

Lucario? Azen's the only one and he even switches to MK when push comes to shove.

G&W? This matchup has been increasingly falling in MKs favor as more info is discovered.

ROB is hard countered by MK. I invented the character, built him from the ground up, and switched to MK.

Yoshi? No. It's not even an option.

There's nothing you can do to make MK a bad choice.... so why try?
This is what got me, it made me think. "Is there a real way to beat MK?"
the only answer I could come up with is to actually play him. That's it, the only REAL answer to beating him now.
Good job OS

WVI

Smash Rookie
Man, it's surprising how many Meta Knight fans don't know how to spell his name.

Or what he looks like behind the mask.

Daimonster

Smash Journeyman
Thank you for trying to compare options of one fighting game to another fighting game. If we can get back to the topic of Metaknight in Brawl. I would like for you to explain my options against a character who's hitboxes stuff mine and come out in faster frames..:Those two aspects of metaknight just for reference:...

CR4SH

Smash Lord
The most important thing to really be proven is this. There is no competitive reason not to play metaknight. As long as you main metaknight, you have, undoubtedly, the best possible chance to win a tournament.

The logical conlusion of this, is that everyone interested only in winning, should really only be playing meta. This is unlike any other character in the game, marth included. So, the ideal tournament setting, logically and competitively, is everyone plays meta. Then everything is fair, and a competitive balance is gained. So why in the world would we want to ban him? He's the perfect character!

The problem with this, is that we're humans, not robots. This is a fan-service game at heart, and we're all fans, mostly not of metaknight. The vast majority of us go to tournaments for reasons other than to win the purse. So, if metaknight was banned, would that make tournaments more or less appealing? In other words, would it help, or hurt the competitive aspect of this game?

In my view, the rest of the cast is set up such that, having proficiency with more than one character is preferable to playing only one. This adds to the variety of the game, and makes the game itself more interesting.

If bans aren't in essence measures taken to make the game more fun, there would be no reason not to keep, say, akuma. If everyone is akuma, its fair, its competitive, but its no fun.

So the question is, given that meta is the best character, in basically every situation, and anyone can play him. What reason is there for anyone to not take meta to every tournament? Simply, fun. Thats the crux of the whole argument.

WVI

Smash Rookie
Who's metaknight?

Also, your argument holds little water, since organized tournies have nothing to do with fun.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Who's metaknight?

Also, your argument holds little water, since organized tournies have nothing to do with fun.
Thats where you're wrong.

Organized tourneys have quite alot to do with fun. Otherwise, where the hell do bans come from?

Maybe even more importantly, spectating an organized tournament has EVERYTHING to do with fun. Do you really want to watch meta Vs. meta every single time?

Boolossus

Smash Ace
If you guys are gung-ho about banning MK, make or find a signature that clearly states "ban MK" and put it in your sig. The constant visual effect is a powerful one and makes me happy. :)
I'm going to add that picture into my sig. Actually, for the little character icons by the rest of our info (where the Samus is by my name) there should be an option to have MK with a red X over him.

WVI

Smash Rookie
Organized tournies are the video game equivalent of Roman coliseum battles. That's why.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
Everyone against MKs ban should just prepare themselves. It's gonna happen, and there's nothing you can do to stop it.

I personally can't wait for a tournament without a single MK in sight.
There are 2 tourneys about to happen in back to back weekends. One in FL and one in N.O. MK is banned in both of them.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
Organized tournies are the video game equivalent of Roman coliseum battles. That's why.

As in, the people playing in them have to be FORCED into the arena, they'd never set foot in there willingly. Gotcha, just like that.

WVI

Smash Rookie
As in, the people playing in them have to be FORCED into the arena, they'd never set foot in there willingly. Gotcha, just like that.
Yes. Yes, that is exactly where I drew my comparison. Don't forget that they involve lances and helmets! That's just what I was getting at!

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Yes. Yes, that is exactly where I drew my comparison. Don't forget that they involve lances and helmets! That's just what I was getting at!
You act like his point isn't valid. When instead it completely invalidates yours.

WVI

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't really describe Meta Knight as a behemoth. I mean, he's so...little.

WVI

Smash Rookie
You act like his point isn't valid. When instead it completely invalidates yours.
Or - Or just maybe - It was less of a point and more of a complete misread of what I was getting at, since whether players are playing willingly has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

What I was getting at is that nobody goes to a serious tourney to play. They go to win. Yes, that's a generalization, but that's what I was trying to explain.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
How is it not ever an option? Out of the 2 sets we played, I won one and I probably would have won the 2nd one if you didn't switch to ROB.

1. It was online.

2. We didn't have stage bans and you CP'd me to a stage with a walk-off and I didn't feel like camping the second transformation of Castle Siege. Since there were no bans, I switched.

3. Since the chaingrab was discovered, you were the first Yoshi I had ever played. I have since played a few more with posistive results on my end.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Or - Or just maybe - It was less of a point and more of a complete misread of what I was getting at, since whether players are playing willingly has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

What I was getting at is that nobody goes to a serious tourney to play. They go to win. Yes, that's a generalization, but that's what I was trying to explain.
But you're completely wrong!

I get the feeling you haven't ever been to a serious tournament. Because a VAST majority of the participants at serious tournaments are there primarily because its FUN!

Raise your hand if you've ever been to a tournament that you didn't expect to win.

:raises hand:

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
But you're completely wrong!

I get the feeling you haven't ever been to a serious tournament. Because a VAST majority of the participants at serious tournaments are there primarily because its FUN!

Raise your hand if you've ever been to a tournament that you didn't expect to win.

:raises hand:
impossible sir. I play Meta Knight, thus i can not lose

WVI

Smash Rookie
Okay. Great for you. I didn't quite intend for anyone to take it that seriously to begin with, but alright.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion

WVI

Smash Rookie
I'm not a troll. For God's sake, I made an offhanded comment about the mood of tournies in general, someone had to jump in, mouth agape, fingers pointing, "Wait a second, sir! I do believe that video game tournaments AREN'T exactly like that comparison you made, for reasons unrelated to your point to begin with!". Thanks for that. I mean, how am I supposed to respond?

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
I'm not a troll. For God's sake, I made an offhanded comment about the mood of tournies in general, someone had to jump in, mouth agape, fingers pointing, "Wait a second, sir! I do believe that video game tournaments AREN'T exactly like that comparison you made, for reasons unrelated to your point to begin with!". Thanks for that. I mean, how am I supposed to respond?
You have like 10 posts, and did nothing but come in and start insulting someone bringing up a point that they just invalidated in the post you quoted.

Okay maybe you're not a troll. You just epic fail.

Gindler

Smash Champion
There are 2 tourneys about to happen in back to back weekends. One in FL and one in N.O. MK is banned in both of them.
So in those tournies Snake won't have a problem at all winning? Yeah that was a good idea :psycho:

1. It was online.

2. We didn't have stage bans and you CP'd me to a stage with a walk-off and I didn't feel like camping the second transformation of Castle Siege. Since there were no bans, I switched.

3. Since the chaingrab was discovered, you were the first Yoshi I had ever played. I have since played a few more with posistive results on my end.
Oh how I love CS as a counterpick just for the walkoff. Some reason alot of MKs forget about that "death grab" until it's too late (good thing it's only 1/3 the stage :lick:)

WVI

Smash Rookie
So I was supposed to say nothing when someone inanely misidentifies a half-hearted comparison and passes it on?

I'm such a troll, I guess.

WVI

Smash Rookie
You have like 10 posts, and did nothing but come in and start insulting someone bringing up a point that they just invalidated in the post you quoted.

Okay maybe you're not a troll. You just epic fail.
...That's it, I give up. This is totally mindless.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
So I was supposed to say nothing when someone inanely misidentifies a half-hearted comparison and passes it on?

I'm such a troll, I guess.
This is a topic about Meta Knight being banned in Super Smash Brothers Brawl and not a Comparisons to Roman History class, so yes I suppose you should have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom