• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR Brawl Tier List v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

M@v

Subarashii!
Whatever happens, Fox and Wolf should be right next to each other on the next tier list, whether thats in high or middle. Why? read on:

-Their matchups overall are very similar

-Both have good top tier matchups.(Fox goes even with Snake and DDD, and 55:45 vs R.O.B)

-Both suffer the same hard counters for the same reasons(Pika-CG,Sheik-Ftilt) ZSS is a disadvantage to both of them, but not as much of a deal as the first two.

-Each one seems to be good in an area the other's not.
-Fox's recovery is a lot better than wolfs. Fox can curve his firefox, so he doesnt get stuck under ledges. He also has shine stall, which can be used to throw off edgeguarder's timing. Also, using Fair when he jumps gives him a HUGE jump boost. Lastly, firefox goes farther.
-Wolf's projectile is slow, strong, and flinches, fox is weak, fast, and non flinching.
-Wolf has an overall superior ground game(with the exception of fox's uptilt/upsmash)
-Fox has an overall superior air game(With the exception of wolf's bair)
-Fox is faster and lighter, wolf is heavier and slower(power about the same)
-Fox is harder to gimp than wolf, but wolf can edge guard better
-etc, etc, etc

I personally believe they are almost exactly equal in how good they are, it comes down to what you prefer play style wise. For now I would say it should be Wolf and then Fox right behind, mainly because Wolf is more popular and is more common in tourney placings at the moment.

Ravin

Smash Lord
Your missing the point.

Samus has no issues killing.

God forbid if a brawl smasher has to think...

Ive mained Samus for a very long time. And have more then enough understanding of how to kill or gimp people. Jabs have nothing to do with..

Because you know... She can kill with Dtilt, Dsmash, Utilt, Fsmash, Charged shot, bair, Dair, smash missile, WoP gimps.

But you know, she can't kill...

:laugh:

Also, your point arnt accurate. And again, its all very situational, I could say the same about any character attempting to do a kill move because it "can be shielded" ect.

Samus can kill. Just think a little. I strongly encourage anyone who mains low tier to prove the stereotypes wrong.

Ravin

Smash Lord
Get back to me on aim then :/ So im not trolling like JK would be.

Kk, Still waiting for a good reason, or excuse, to why Samus can't kill.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Top Tier
Snake (Chuck Norris of Smash)
Meta Knight (Don't go by Ankoku's list, only the same players score high with MK)

High Tier
King Dedede
Mr. Game & Watch
Falco
R.O.B.
Marth
Wario

Upper Tier
Lucario
Donkey Kong
Diddy
Pikachu
Ice Climbers
Kirby
Pit
Wolf
Toon Link
Olimar
Fox
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus
Bowser
Luigi
Peach

Middle tier
Ike
Sheik
Lucas
Ness
Mario
Pokémon Trainer
Samus

Steak tier
Sonic (He's an odd character. Bad initial moveset, better with mind games and spin tricks.)

Low tier
Yoshi
Jigglypuff
Captain Falcon (He isn't the worst, speed+power+above average weight+jab combos)
Link (His attributes nullify other attributes. Ex: Link is an above average weight but that doesn't matter since he dies early anyways for having a bad recovery, gets no momentum with his up+B and falls fast. Link is mid tier on stages such as Bridge of Eldin, Green Greens, etc.)
Ganondorf (Has really bad match ups)
This list sucks. It is much like the version 1.0, and your rationals for why character belong in certain spots, are just meh.

Silver13

Smash Cadet
After a full spring and summer of competition, the SBR felt as though it was time to take the first stab at a tier list for Brawl. Before I post it, let me remind you all of a few important things:

1. Tier placement doesn't necessarily reflect your ability to beat your friends with a specific character. You might beat your friend's Metaknight with Sonic, but that doesn't mean Sonic is top tier. It means you win that matchup against your friend. Tiers are not absolute measurements of match outcomes.

2. Instead of measuring match outcomes, tiers are more a measurement of potential of characters against the rest of the cast in a competitive, 1v1 tournament environment. It shows general strength of a character's abilities in a specific tournament environment. So yes, maybe Yoshi is a beast in teams or Ganon is REALLY good with items turned on... but this list measures somethingd different than those things.

3. This list is based on a combination of tournament result data, extensive discussions with top players and tournament hosts and looking at general trends in play in the current competitive metagame. It took a lot of work on the part of some of the best minds in Smash to compile this list.

4. This list might change with time. It is based on how we perceive the game to be and play it competitively NOW. However, if a replacement for l-canceling is discovered or new tactics cause the game to evolve over time, this list could change. So if you main a character that isn't near the top, keep playing and evolving their game. You might be the one, like Chu Dat's Ice Climbers back in Melee, that cause people's opinions to change.

5. That said, don't give up hope! Just because your character isn't ranked at or near the top, doesn't mean you can't do fantastic things with them with enough talent and effort. We do not publish this list to encourage players to change their main tournament character. If anything, it should serve as a challenge to take the game to the next level.

6. In Smash, any character can win in any matchup if you are smarter and better than your opponents by a wide enough margin. So keep playing to win and work hard to be the best player you can be, regardless of which character you use.

And without further ado, I present to you the official SBR Brawl Tier List (v1.0):

Meta Knight
Snake
King Dedede
Mr. Game & Watch
Falco
R.O.B.

High
Marth
Wario
Lucario
Donkey Kong
Diddy
Pikachu
Ice Climbers
Kirby
Pit
Wolf

Middle
Toon Link
Olimar
Fox
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus
Bowser
Luigi
Peach
Ike
Sheik

Low
Lucas
Ness
Mario
Pokémon Trainer
Samus
Yoshi
Sonic
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf
Link
Captain Falcon
Meh... I think this tier list was made in 2 minutes. There is only 4 groups... Top, High, Mid, Low. Thats uber lame IMHO.I think they should spread it out more, with a BOTTOM tier this time. Also I dont think there should be that many smashers in Top Tier. Cmon... 6 Smashers in top? 3-4 would be more reasonable.

BTW off topic - Wolf needs to be in Mid high tier =)

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Get back to me on aim then :/ So im not trolling like JK would be.

Kk, Still waiting for a good reason, or excuse, to why Samus can't kill.
Well Samus can kill, I have admitted that. What I did not mention is that her kill potential is a lot worse than a lot of characters; The percents they need to kill her are better than the percents she needs to kill them. Do notice that everyone of the Top tier characters and most people in High tier can kill rediculously early compared to her. What does she have that allows her to kill at 120% easily? Though I must note that I can kill with her more easily than I can with Ganon if that means anything.

Ravin

Smash Lord
The point being, High tier is the easy way out. But I have killed way below 100% (A GaW at 78%) so...

Again, if gimping and playing smart isnt a way to kill someone, its simply showing high tier isn't a better character, its a easy to play character.

Lower down the tier list you go, the bigger learning curve you get.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
I always found Samus' best killing moves to be her bair and her dtilt, and of course her dair, but really, if you want to kill your opponents at a decently low percentage you need to get to get your opponent near the edge of the stage.
Sometimes I found myself smashing my opponent from one side of the stage to the next and it would take forever to kill. But if you use her right then she can kill almost as well as any other character.

Side note: Fsmash and charge shot work well when it comes to killing

Just my opinion =D

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
Samus is fun. I love how her fair and Zair push people perfectly for edgeguarding. She can deal a lot of damage to her opponents there and almost nullify her killing problems.

D

Deleted member

The point being, High tier is the easy way out. But I have killed way below 100% (A GaW at 78%) so...

Again, if gimping and playing smart isnt a way to kill someone, its simply showing high tier isn't a better character, its a easy to play character.

Lower down the tier list you go, the bigger learning curve you get.
Why not play people who actually DI well. Samus has bad kill potential, u can kill early if you are better than your opponent or set up for a spike, which samus is good at, but against many characters(and people who are good with them), this wont work.

I hate when people say crap like "high tier is the easy way out". I main low tier, i place well in one of the best regions in america. I wouldnt have an easy time placing the way i do with a high tier, id just have better options in many situations.

And yes, meta knight is an easy character. But so is samus.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Why not play people who actually DI well. Samus has bad kill potential, u can kill early if you are better than your opponent or set up for a spike, which samus is good at, but against many characters(and people who are good with them), this wont work.

I hate when people say crap like "high tier is the easy way out". I main low tier, i place well in one of the best regions in america. I wouldnt have an easy time placing the way i do with a high tier, id just have better options in many situations.

And yes, meta knight is an easy character. But so is samus.
I agreed with most of with what you said but...lolwut?

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
I kind of get what he's saying. Samus is one of those characters that can be played decently once you are familiar with her Smash Theory. MK is similar but with more options.

Ravin

Smash Lord
If Samus was so easy, a lot of people would be playing her.

Have you visited the Samus boards? A total of about 10 people maybe use her competitively.

Her Arm cannon, Fsmash, is actually a great killing move.

Utilt is great on platformed stages, BF, Helbread., Yoshi, and has a great killing potential.

And no, the higher up the list you go, the less you have to do to kill your oppionet. How complicated is it to play MK? Not very, just make sure your C Stick is in good working order and your good to go.

As a person said before "If your balanced, Your bad. If your broken, then your high tier."

Samus has a very good balance about her, just her complicated style and how to handle her discourages a lot of people. Her "Lack" of kill moves, Her Float. But really, if you took the time to discuss with a good Samus main. She has ALOT going for her then a lot of people reliease. I could care less about tounriment results, because when your low tier. Its one of you vs 60 MK's. Its a hard road to go, and your going to go down somewhere.

But if you had it 1 mk and 60's Samus's, you don't. Thats the huge flaw with tier lists, everyone rushed to get the easier broken charcaters and used them. now other characters, like the low tier, and not being developed at all simply because everyone wants the win.

As alot of melee people say in canada, Brawl is easy money.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Not necessarily, if tourneys are as much of a Meta Knight invasion as you make out, you'd better have a **** good Meta Knight yourself to win...

Ravin

Smash Lord
Not necessarily, if tourneys are as much of a Meta Knight invasion as you make out, you'd better have a **** good Meta Knight yourself to win...
Not really again, I watched M2K MK three stock Planks MK, yet when plank rolled over to Axis he placed pretty high for the fact of ledge camping to Neutral B repeat to run the clock down.

You dont need to be food with MK to win, you need a basic understanding of B and what Dsmash is.

Diddy I hope does move up, he really does deserve it, alongside Peach.

Umby

Smash Master
Maybe what people are trying to point out is that Samus is easier to get used to playing than most characters. Most of the things about her playing style is pretty straightforward, unlike, say Diddy. It doesn't seem like they're talking about how much easier it is to win with Samus, but how much easier her learning curve is.

Ravin

Smash Lord
Maybe what people are trying to point out is that Samus is easier to get used to playing than most characters. Most of the things about her playing style is pretty straightforward, unlike, say Diddy. It doesn't seem like they're talking about how much easier it is to win with Samus, but how much easier her learning curve is.
If she had a easier learning curve umby, more people would use her.

She is complicated, Diddy is as well, considering the both have a completely different playing style.

Samus isnt straightforward. Thats a huge misconception.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Not really again, I watched M2K MK three stock Planks MK, yet when plank rolled over to Axis he placed pretty high for the fact of ledge camping to Neutral B repeat to run the clock down.

You dont need to be food with MK to win, you need a basic understanding of B and what Dsmash is.

Diddy I hope does move up, he really does deserve it, alongside Peach.
You're stupid, seeing as out of a 305 man tournament i ledgecamped one match to move me from 4th to 3rd, in a match I probably would've won anyway, not to mention consistent top placings and tournament wins on the east coast.

good job man, 1 match with m2k proves everything LMAO

+1newbie2008joiner

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
If Samus was so easy, and was a good character, a lot of people would be playing her.
fixed that up for you.

Have you visited the Samus boards? A total of about 10 people maybe use her competitively.
because she is BAD

Her Arm cannon, Fsmash, is actually a great killing move.
its a little on the low side, i think its over ten frames. so that qualifies as slow for me

Utilt is great on platformed stages, BF, Helbread., Yoshi, and has a great killing potential.
thats kinda situation

And no, the higher up the list you go, the less you have to do to kill your oppionet. How complicated is it to play MK? Not very, just make sure your C Stick is in good working order and your good to go.
not really, at this point every character requires a decent amount of skill. but you have to realise that that fact that it takes less to kill with them is what makes them a good character.

As a person said before "If your balanced, Your bad. If your broken, then your high tier."
Pretty much. Thats Fox in a nutshell actually

Samus has a very good balance about her, just her complicated style and how to handle her discourages a lot of people. Her "Lack" of kill moves, Her Float. But really, if you took the time to discuss with a good Samus main. She has ALOT going for her then a lot of people reliease. I could care less about tounriment results, because when your low tier. Its one of you vs 60 MK's. Its a hard road to go, and your going to go down somewhere.
Part of what makes a bad character bad, is the fact that they have to play complecated to do achieve the same things that the good characters can do with ease, and just being straight forward.

But if you had it 1 mk and 60's Samus's, you don't. Thats the huge flaw with tier lists, everyone rushed to get the easier broken charcaters and used them. now other characters, like the low tier, and not being developed at all simply because everyone wants the win.
Low tiers are being developed, its just that not as many people are doing it because there no point it since A max level Samus is still going to be infinited by scrub D3s and shuttle looped by basic MKs and blown up by meh Snakes
And everyone rushed to the easier characters because they were easy and good. it has nothing to do with the tier list. you seem to think that the tier list influenced people to play MK and snake, whereas the actuality is that people started playing MK and snake because they were really good and easy, something that people can see for themselves. And that, in turn, gave them them the top spots on the tier list

it cant be easy money for everyone...

not everyone wins...

Umby

Smash Master
If she had a easier learning curve umby, more people would use her.

She is complicated, Diddy is as well, considering the both have a completely different playing style.

Samus isnt straightforward. Thats a huge misconception.
I'll take your word on misconception, but it's not necessarily the case that an easier learning curve warrants more use. Once again, also a possible misconception, but I consider Sheik really easy to use, but I don't see a lot of people using her.

Nightmare KoRn Kid

Smash Champion
Plairnk is like such a huge tool
and the reason he isn't even slightly a tool is because he never even attempts be a tool... or cares if anyone thinks he is one.

Captain Falcon is too good... lol

sonic for bottom tier.

Ravin

Smash Lord
I havnt been infinite by a D3 in a very very long time when i discovered Zair completely ***** D3 and anything he can even attempt to throw at her?

Shiek is the same way, but if noone is playing them, then that makes them bad.

Lol @ Kid - You say anyone is bad if they are low tier. Stop talking please? God forbid their be a version 1 of anything. And the reason the Samus board lacks if because of how hard she is to use. This used to be the case with the Mewtwo boards.

and ive been around a lot longer then 2008. :3 Lurks can read before speaking. Stop being a tool.

Umby

Smash Master
Shiek is the same way, but if noone is playing them, then that makes them bad.
That's what I'm trying to get it. The fact that no one is playing a certain character is most likely because they are bad. It's not necessarily how hard they are to use/learn. I'm not arguing that Sheik or Samus aren't bad characters, just that they might seem easier for people to really use than other characters regardless of their placement on the tier list.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
"Lurkers" always use the "Lurker" excuse as if it's justification for being around longer than they have. I don't care if you've been looking at the boards since 2002, I can guarantee you are still absolutely awful.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
+1newbie2008joiner
Give us '08ers a break, or then again, go nuts because you only have about 2 weeks left to insult them.

The final sentence is definitely untrue. I will be the first to confess that I just suck hard as MK. I don't like his playstyle, and I don''t care to learn it. Hell, the fact that I main Falco means I have no real issue with ledgecamping, and MK is by no means an unwinnable matchup. I'm tired of people making judgments about MK players and whining, rather than actually looking for effective strategies to counter his gameplan.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
As a guess for a new Top/High Tier, here's what I say...

Top:
Meta Knight
Snake
Mr. Game&Watch
King Dedede
ROB

High:
Marth
Falco
Diddy Kong
Wario

that's just for now...

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
Comments in bold.

One more thing: Why do you make Zelda and Shiek 2 chars, but make PT one?
he did that because when u die with pt you have to switch and with zelda and sheik you can stay zelda and sheik when you die

but i hear a hack will be out soon so that pokemon never get tired and u can have the same one out the whole time with down b disabled like for example if u want charizard only then thats what u can get so maebe we will see it rising

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom