• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR-B Brawl Tier List v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
...Pork...?!?

Ah well, I don't really care, but I hope in Frown's new tier list he/(she? D*** this internet!!) gets it right.

I would join the bandwagon but I'm lazy, so yeah I'll just repeat old stuff and say Sonic needs to move up two more spots and so long as the metagame doesn't change he can stay there.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Someone needs to explain to me why everyone keeps putting Pokemon Trainer in their Bottom Tier list.

Even if you know little about the character, I don't see how they could get lumped in with, like, Link.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Everyone thinks PT is lol,gimp and camp food.

The real reason why People such as PT,Yoshi,ad Peach are underrated,Is because their learning curves are high,Which leads to no people playing them.This leads to laziness on their part.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Everyone thinks PT is lol,gimp and camp food.

The real reason why People such as PT,Yoshi,ad Peach are underrated,Is because their learning curves are high,Which leads to no people playing them.This leads to laziness on their part.
More like: high learning curve with minimal reward in PT's Link's and Yoshi's case. People are willing to learn Peach, she can do fairly well and can actually place in the top 8 of some larger tournaments. Those 3 on the other hand, take a lot of time, for quiet honestly very little outcome. Sure, the first month or so after you get really good with one of those characters you will be rocking the smaller tournaments where nobody knows the match-up. But once the match-up is learned, you're back down to struggling to place in the top 8 due to the character's limitations.

Once you get down to the lower half of the tier list, most of those characters are going to have far more secondary use then main use, if any usage at all. For example, a couple people might pick up Yoshi because their main has a horrible time against MK, and they want to use a character that hopefully the MK main they are up against has never really played against before.

The mains are crazy people like us/me that like having a "Why the heck are you using him/her?" character as a main, and have accepted the knowledge that they most likely not going to place as well as if they used someone like Snake or MK.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
With the way ZSS has been placing lately i think she should move up quite a bit. She's been winning a couple of 60+ people tourneys lately.

Also i'm from the Ness boards and :ness2:>>>:lucas: (i do play both BTW)

I honestly believe lucas belongs in the bottom tier with link, jiggly, Ganon, and C.Falcon

Browny

Smash Hater
Care to name a single one? ZSS has been placing decently in 30-40 people tourneys and only winning a 21 man tourney (this years results) iirc

Mudde80

Smash Rookie
*sigh* The problem with Captain Falcon's standings is that not enough people are using him in tourneys. Their are smashers out there who are skilled with him, just not enough of them are entering tourneys. Come on people, give him a chance.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
*sigh* The problem with Captain Falcon's standings is that not enough people are using him in tourneys. Their are smashers out there who are skilled with him, just not enough of them are entering tourneys. Come on people, give him a chance.
I think the main problem with Falcon is that he's not Melee Falcon. While I know that Falcon in indeed terrible in Brawl, I think that the majority of Melee Falconers left after seeing how severely he got nerfed, leaving him in a pretty hopeless situation. If we could get some really good Falcons, he might get bumped up a spot or two.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Just who exactly IS using Falcon anyway?

P.S. Ally does not count. I mean people who actually use the guy for more then one set match.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Hey, why is falco above D3 anyway?
Falco is one of D3's worst match ups next to the Ice Climbers. D3 can get chain grabbed fairly easily by Falco. And gets out camped by his Laser game.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
More like: high learning curve with minimal reward in PT's Link's and Yoshi's case. People are willing to learn Peach, she can do fairly well and can actually place in the top 8 of some larger tournaments. Those 3 on the other hand, take a lot of time, for quiet honestly very little outcome. Sure, the first month or so after you get really good with one of those characters you will be rocking the smaller tournaments where nobody knows the match-up. But once the match-up is learned, you're back down to struggling to place in the top 8 due to the character's limitations.

Once you get down to the lower half of the tier list, most of those characters are going to have far more secondary use then main use, if any usage at all. For example, a couple people might pick up Yoshi because their main has a horrible time against MK, and they want to use a character that hopefully the MK main they are up against has never really played against before.

The mains are crazy people like us/me that like having a "Why the heck are you using him/her?" character as a main, and have accepted the knowledge that they most likely not going to place as well as if they used someone like Snake or MK.
No not really.have you ever seen a PT in a major tourney? How can someone like Yoshi and PT try to do well in a tourney,If there is noone playing as them? Lucario and Peach are a perfect example.
Learning curves should not be a factor on how XX good he is.All it means is a little more effort.If you think they have little reward,then you just do not know them very well.

I do not think they are High tier,but I do not think they are low tier either.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
No not really.have you ever seen a PT in a major tourney? How can someone like Yoshi and PT try to do well in a tourney,If there is noone playing as them? Lucario and Peach are a perfect example.
Learning curves should not be a factor on how XX good he is.All it means is a little more effort.If you think they have little reward,then you just do not know them very well.

I did see both a PT and a Yoshi at Final Smash V. Yoshi was Bwett, the PT didn't make it out of pools (like me >_>)

And Learning curves do indeed play a small, but never the less evident factor in tier lists. It affects tournament results, which in turn affects the tier list. *points to Link as proof* He takes a lot of effort to get good with, and what is his current tournament result ranking? Dead last. It's for a reason.

Peach takes a lot of effort, but she can actually get things done in a tournament, hence her placement, even with her rather small amount of mainers.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
I did see both a PT and a Yoshi at Final Smash V. Yoshi was Bwett, the PT didn't make it out of pools (like me >_>)

And Learning curves do indeed play a small, but never the less evident factor in tier lists. It affects tournament results, which in turn affects the tier list. *points to Link as proof* He takes a lot of effort to get good with, and what is his current tournament result ranking? Dead last. It's for a reason.

Peach takes a lot of effort, but she can actually get things done in a tournament, hence her placement, even with her rather small amount of mainers.
Was the PT an expert ? I am not talking about some random guy, I am talking about someone exceptional playing with him.
Lucario rose because people like Azen used him and won some matches , Same with Peach.

Link I am not sure,as I have no experience with him.

It needs an expert player showing how the character can do to the max.Pokemon Trainers Metagame has not fully evolved(No pun intended).Same with Wario, His metagame has not been reached to the fullest yet.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Not sure, I don't know much about PT mains. His tag was Elite 4, or something like that.

Link has at least one expert, he isn't exactly rising up through the tiers.

And you can claim "so and so's metagame has not fully evolved" with any character you want. I could say that about Ike: I have to see an Ike that abuses his grab releases yet, and just the other week we found out we had a chain grab on Bowser. A "not fully evolved metagame" is NOT a good arguing point. Anyone can say that about any character. Heck, I could argue that MK's metagame is not fully evolved because they currently have it too easy and no reason to dig further.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
Yes,but it seems as some have slow down alot,this is with the case of Mr.GW.

Edit:I should really stop mentioning characters,I feel like I am being repetitive.

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
"Formerly?"

Did he get killed or what makes him not a good Link anymore?
I vaguely recall someone saying he doesn't play Link anymore. He's obviously still good with Link that's not gonna blink away overnight but he uses a different character now so it's irrelevant.

[Disclaimer] I said "vaguely recall" remember. i could be totally wrong. [/Disclaimer]

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I vaguely recall someone saying that PRiDE doesn't play Brawl anymore. Is there any truth to that statement?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
It's just a little saddening, though, when they actually follow through with what they say and quit.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Or more people would have an easier time earning some tourney wins.

... Meh, just trying to be witty.

DemonFart

Smash Lord
I already have no prob winning tourneys,I can easily 3 stock m2ks :metaknight: with :falcon:.
lol yeah kinzer that's true,still...it would be weird if he quit.

:094:

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I think the main problem with Falcon is that he's not Melee Falcon. While I know that Falcon in indeed terrible in Brawl, I think that the majority of Melee Falconers left after seeing how severely he got nerfed, leaving him in a pretty hopeless situation. If we could get some really good Falcons, he might get bumped up a spot or two.
I think the main problem with Falcon is the fact that he really has nothing going for him to ever put him above Ganondorf, Link, Jiggs, or Samus... Falcon is just... bad this game. No amount of skill is going to change that (unless you're talking about hacking/homebrew skills, but they don't count in competitive play). He has horribly sub-par killing abilities (Like Toon Link I guess in a way. He has great kill moves, but he'll never land them, except TL has a much much bigger chance of landing his), no more Melee Knee, no more Gentleman, he has no range, no priority, no Melee combos (Uair Uair will only get you so far. It's not a big enough damage racker to make him that special Ganondorf has better combos than that), no Melee jump physics to take advantage of his speed, no dash canceling or dashdancing (meaning his speed is limited to just running away out of danger like half a dash dance counter, without the counter... and to set up aerials less effectively than Melee :<), no projectiles, no approach, no real defense, no more double jumping after an aerial falcon kick, a ridiculously average recovery (he can use Uair to fend off enemies to a degree, and both Raptor Boost and Falcon Dive have had their distance and recovery buffs, but they're still both ridiculously easy to gimp by most characters that matter). All in all, he's a ****ty, severely nerfed Melee character based on Melee and SSB64 physics, in a Brawl game, like if Brawl Jigglypuff didn't have the new Rollout, DACUS, or Fair, and only had one of her ****ty jumps, she'd still be better than Falcon, probably. He just plain SUCKS in this game. Sakurai hates Captain Falcon, though, and we've all known that since Brawl came out, so let's just move on now and argue about Yoshi/Sonic or something. Or let's talk about Lucario. He's fun to talk about.

Haven't Reflex and Typh gotten their fair share of wins? They haven't exactly won any tournaments recently with Pokemon Trainer, but I do know they've gotten quite a few wins, especially against good players. Pokemon Trainer sucks, but people still use him and get some results. Really, though, if stamina didn't exist, Pokemon Trainer (or at least squirtle and charizard) would probably break throughmid tier. <<

Though I'm not sure if Lucario is a good example of a character who fought their way up into high tier because of a few late-entry fighters... Lucario has excellent stats that should've by default made them high tier, I'd imagine. I believe the H2YL list way back when had Luc and Peach in high tier, didn't they, or something like that? Sure, they had Azen in their crew, but meh. Either way, Lucario was brought into the spotlight by Azen when Brawl came out. Sadly, we'll never know how Lucario would've fared if he didn't get those first few months of fame, so we can only speculate based on his stats as a character and overall "greatness" from a distance, as we would've looked when the game came out. However, if you look at a distance at this complicated character, you get either a "this character has to be at super high %s in order to start ******, so it's not worth it, regardless of all his range, combos, and power at high %, because you need to be losing anyways to win" or "this character has great redeeming factors like range, combos, and one of the best projectiles in the game by far, so this character is definitely great, and he even becomes super strong at high %s, so you can just take some damage, get the first KO, and then wreak havoc on their next stock. I'd imagine a great survivalist would be nigh-impossible to stop if they just start a streak and keep it going throughout the second and third stocks, so long as they don't die..."

reflex is seemingly the best PT going right now
Reflex is the best everything right now. Pokemon Trainer, Wario, grab-release escape artist...He needs to slow down and leave some win for the rest of us.

But seriously, I thought there was some Typh or some PokemonMasterIRL that was a better PT, wasn't there? I could be wrong though. Reflex has an Ivysaurio avatar. It takes some severe... reflexes... to pull that off.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Haven't Reflex and Typh gotten their fair share of wins? They haven't exactly won any tournaments recently with Pokemon Trainer--
Number of entrants: 35
Entry fee: $10
Where it was: Georgia
Top 8, with character main for each of the top 8:
1: Reflex (Pokemon Trainer)
2: Kismet2 (Falco)
3: BigLou (Luigi)
4: Desu (Meta Knight, D3)
5: Player1 (Diddy Kong)
5: Rayku (Lucario)
7: Dynomite (Marth, Meta Knight, Wario, Pokemon Trainer, D3)
7: Octix (Lucario, Diddy Kong, Meta Knight)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=206029&page=193
Brawling at the Game Galaxy II, February 28, 2009
Entrants: 32
Singles Fee - $10

1. Reflex (Pokemon Trainer)
2. Will_ (Meta Knight, DK)
3. Kismet2 (Falco)
4. Milln (Lucario)
5. DanGR (Olimar)
5. Phloat (G&W, Meta Knight)
7. Frank (Peach)
7. Kalm (DK, Kirby)

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=205928
That's in the last two weeks. Not exactly huge, but it's something.

Reflex is the best everything right now. Pokemon Trainer, Wario, grab-release escape artist...He needs to slow down and leave some win for the rest of us.

But seriously, I thought there was some Typh or some PokemonMasterIRL that was a better PT, wasn't there? I could be wrong though. Reflex has an Ivysaurio avatar. It takes some severe... reflexes... to pull that off.
And no one is a better PT than me.

HYPE! HYPE! SCREAM AT MEEEEE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom