• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I feel the need to shield pressure him quickly or he just runs away again (I'm not saying it's right though).

I will agree though that I am getting pretty reckless.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
yea you are getting reckless that snake seems to love grenades and your recklessness doesn't help your cause

but like emblem lord said choose your times to be aggressive X D

Ironstone

Smash Rookie
First post :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1n3_EiVsVw
First one is a Ditto, don't watch it if you don't want to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb6Mja4ioOI
Second one is vs. Snake on Norfair.

I'm probably horrible compared to most of y'all but thats why I'm asking for some critique!
I'd like a general overview of my Marth and a more in-depth review of the Norfair match. Thanks~

EDIT: Note to self, lay off F-smash, more DB and probably a tilt here or there. Also, stop killing yourself stupidly.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
At this point general advice is the best thing for you. For one... I saw way too much random attack spam. You and your opponent just threw out attacks whenever possible and at the soonest possible moments.

(Snake vid)
Some move habits you may want to get rid of:
f-smash: should be used at kill %'s especially against a heavy like snake. Sometimes you spammed it a lot, like just f-smashing 3 times in a row when the snake was on the platform above you. This leaves you unnecessarily open, due to post lag, and really does you no good. (No opponent will be walking into attacks)

dair: Saw wayyy too much of this. Don't care if you hit or not. Usually will have better options and also should mainly be saved up for when the chance arrives to spike somebody. Using it as a means of attacking while onstage is suicide. (way too much post lag)

bair: Bair is not a bad move, but you used it in a bad way. Bair should rarely be used while descending because it results in landing lag which is very bad.

U-air: When snake was on the platform above you, you only used this move. Uair is a great move and all however, it can leave you very open especially if you full hop and hit their shield. It's like begging to be shield grabbed. There were situations where fair or nair could have been better.

Overview: The Snake wasn't great either. He lacked any form of effective camping, and there were too many moments when you guys were just standing there and nothing was happening. Next time play on a neutral stage, which gives a better representation of skill and eliminates the ghey elements and general stupidity. The main thing for me is that your move selection was poor, lacked DB, dtilt, juggle traps among other things. There were many more mistakes however those are easily learned after you learn about Marth as a character and get a grip on his general playstyle.

What you need to realize: You have yet to understand Marth fully as a character. You seem to be playing reactive and observing your opponent primarily takes the form in the occasional prediction. You are also as a result easily baited and you do not consider your opponent's options. Watching some good players on youtube (like NEO, kadaj, Pierce) and reading some of the stuff listed in JunkintheTrunk's sticky "Everything about Marth" (or something like that) will definitely help give you a better sense of how Marth should be played.

I'm not trying to be harsh or anything but it's the truth. I look forward to watching your improvement as it is always interesting to watch somebody get better.

Ironstone

Smash Rookie
Appreciate the feedback 3xSwords. I've read through most of the stickied threads here, but its hard to apply theory to a match, particularly when you've built up bad habits. I just recently picked up Marth - Up until maybe two weeks ago I was a sonic player. BUT, "No Johns" as you guys say. :)

I've gotten in touch with Pierce7d, he happens to live pretty close by. Hopefully when he gets some free time he'll be able to teach me a few things. You might be close by as well, since you're in Bergen County. Toss me a PM if you're interested in meeting up.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
2nd snake match

:04, if he wouldn't have rolled he could have easily shield grabbed you. why did you jump over the grenades? they don't explode right away

:10, you roll away and get dash attacked

:29, playing scared gets you dash attacked

:33, failure to punish his dash grab

1:08, probably could have hit him with a fair if you dropped down from the platform but instead you just jumped

1:22, amazing juggle attempt

1:42, instead of doing a risky up b you could have like.. grabbed him

1:57, you roll right into his explosion

2:04, he takes out a grenade and you charge at him. you get blown up

A lot of times you would hang back too much and he would take advantage with his dash attack. Other times you'd put yourself in unsafe positions and just charge at him out of nowhere and get yourself blown up or hit.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I'm not good at the play-by-play mind of critique, but I'll give you an over view F3AR.

-Don't use Dair over the stage, it is laggy and bad.

-Don't dash dance. You will trip, like you did.

-More short hopping. You would go directly into your second jump, that is bad.

-Play better people. That Falco was pretty horrible.

-Use Up-B to escape multi-hit moves. You got caught in Falco's AAA thing, and you can use Dolphin Slash's invincibility frames to escape moves like those.

You are pretty good, play better people though, it makes it hard to critique when you destroy your opponents.

F3AR_101

Smash Cadet
thanks alot man,seriously.
i have my own lil smash crew,and whenever i get a lil chance,ill show ya one of our vids,that falco isnt that good, he just pushes buttons lol. well thanks again man.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Gar:

:06, start off the match by staying within D3's grab range and get yourself grabbed

:11, jab would probably have been a safer option, even a grab would have worked since he was just coming out of his spot dodge

:18, why didn't you throw him off the stage?

:29, you jump back a little too far and it gives him enough room to throw a waddle at you

:35, you probably should have gone underneath him and up smashed, would have covered most of his options and you wouldn't ahve gotten hit

:36, you try to get back on high and that's what d3 was looking for, you get hit back out

:39, definitely an unsafe decision to fsmash, you could have up tilted or even up aired

:47, same thing as before gets you hit by a waddle, gave him just a tad too much room

:59, couldn't punish this thing at all? in fact you got hit by it, disappointing

1:18, you air dodge right into him? you know dedede is looking for a grab 95% of the time, don't put your body into such bad positions

1:22, after his first bair you shielded for some reason which allowed him to get closer, then you tried to jump right into him and he puts his foot in your face. take a more defensive position here, just shielding would have worked fine

1:26, kind of a waste of your invincibility frames, i'd recommend dtilting once. chances are he would roll and then you could get a dancing blade in

1:29, up smash was random, would have worked though if you charged it. probably should have just jabbed and if he still managed to roll you could use the IASA frames and dancing blade

1:45, you throw in an extra dtilt and you are unable to react to his roll

2:01, jab or dancing blade probably would have beat his spot dodge spam

2:04, last time he released you he rolled behind you, you didn't catch on to this and decided to spot dodge. he grabs you again

2:40, if you left your shield up for just another split second you could have up b'd him sending him off the stage

And that's game. You pretty much dominated his last stock because you spaced well and gave him little room to breath. That's how it's done.

Not too bad. Any questions?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
say man, can u critique my friends marth..?? heres the link man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gtfdj4a03M
OK, he's better than you, no offense. Main thing is, he needs to use his Tilts more, especially Dtilt, that move is amazing. Also, he should use more variety of aerials, especially Uair and Nair, he only was using Bair and Fair. He needs to use more Dancing Blade as well, but he used Counter effectively and was pretty good at gimping as well. Tell him to work on those things more.

garrR

Smash Apprentice
(snip)
Not too bad. Any questions?
thanks for the critiques. this video was actually before i learned how to DS oos, so i never used it even once in that match. i think i've improved quite a bit since then so i'll be sure to take more videos soon and come back for more help. thanks again :)

F3AR_101

Smash Cadet
OK, he's better than you, no offense. Main thing is, he needs to use his Tilts more, especially Dtilt, that move is amazing. Also, he should use more variety of aerials, especially Uair and Nair, he only was using Bair and Fair. He needs to use more Dancing Blade as well, but he used Counter effectively and was pretty good at gimping as well. Tell him to work on those things more.
yea man,hes real good. hes the best in my whole smash crew,hes real good,yea its ok,i knw hes way better than me lol...well thaks alot for your help maan. laters... hope me and you brawl one day...

UWOcho

Smash Apprentice
you really need a better opponent before we can critique your marth. You fsmashed way too many times [normal opponent wouldn't get hit by every single one like he did] and he didn't punish you at all (also that random shield breaker, and he rolls into your dsmash??)

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Throw that P***y at me? B***h I think Im Babe Ruth
yeah i do i don't feel i did as good as i should have considering i know those match-ups pretty well. I literally played nothing but diddy and pit when i played Boss and The Fear all the time before The Fear went back to college and Boss (not the one who uses mario) just doesn't play as much anymore

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
ill fully critique the one vs boss later, havent watched it yet.

but the first ones you just made random mistakes here and there. ill point them out if you want but i'm sure you could basically do the same exact thing.

jays0nnn

Smash Apprentice
you really need a better opponent before we can critique your marth. You fsmashed way too many times [normal opponent wouldn't get hit by every single one like he did] and he didn't punish you at all (also that random shield breaker, and he rolls into your dsmash??)
umm no offense but I want steel to do this or fear, junk, solid and Bengal to do this...I didnt ask for you but ok thanks for the tips anyways

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
umm no offense but I want steel to do this or fear, junk, solid and Bengal to do this...I didnt ask for you but ok thanks for the tips anyways
Good advice is good advice, dont matter who it comes from. If some tells you something thats completely absurd, someone will comment on it lol.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
^^What ZMT said, also. From what I've seen, Steel, ZMT, and Shaya do the best critiques ^_^

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
can someone gives me some tips on this vid? My main problem is...I roll way too much! I just want to know what other options i should use

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dear3VzJuE

EDIT - my friend had a bad day so he screwed up alot *image him in person going WTF*
I'm going to give you an overall critique:

-At the beginning, there were some openings in your opponent's defense where you could have Fair'd or Nair'd, and instead you just retreated empty SH's and then grabbed the ledge, you should be capitalizing on mistakes like that, that's what playing Marth is about.

-You need to use more variety on your aerials, Nair, Bair, and Uair are all really good moves, use them.

-You should be Counter-gimping Ike's Up-B, that is using Counter as he does it to kill him, instead of going for meteor smashes with Dair. The one on the first stock was nice though must say.

-Don't use the down variation for the last hit of Dancing Blade, because it is easy to DI out of. You are luicky your opponent didn't

-I actually thought you used fsmash pretty well. Cut back on it a bit, but your use of it was pretty good.

-More tilts. Dtilt is one of Marth's best moves, you should use it. Ftilt can stop SH approaches, and Utilt is Marth's best upwards killer.

-I want to point out the part where you were falling and Ike started his Fsmash, and then he hit you with it. That move is telegraphed like hell, you could've air-dodged it and then platform drop -> Fair'd him.

-If you have any closer matches I'd like to see them, even though I can get a feel for your playstyle through this one, it's hard because it was very lopsided.

EDIT: AHEM BENGALS!!!!!

∫unk

Smash Master
My critiques are good for the next time you actually play because you can't remember blow by blow analysis but that's good when you are breaking down your game.

And I don't do it nearly as often.

UWOcho

Smash Apprentice
i wish.. i need a video capture card and i need competent opponents t play against before i can show you guys my stuff. Has to happen when i head back to toronto to play some of canada's all stars.

jays0nnn

Smash Apprentice
OHHH ok then sorry about that OWOcho, I didn't know who you were and plus i felt really unsafe from someone that not famous from the marth board lol and thanks for the tips everyone and a big thanks to SOLID for the tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom