• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

salsa~

Smash Cadet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGXdt0wsl5c&feature=related

Can someone critique this vid? I know it's really really old, but I think there's still quite a bit I could learn from it that I'm not catching ^_^
I'm not a pro but I'll give a shot.

0:23 u could've bair'd him

0:29 wut was that lol

0:36 when ur opponent is in a platform its better using nair since he would prolly fall off the platform and then u would db or fsmash him with no risk.

0:38 avoid using dolphin slashs when ur not 100% sure it'll hit him (at least when he's in low %)

1:13 momentum cancel it with fair, air dodge will just raise the moment and u'll die earlier

2:35 shieldbreakeeeeeer

2:48 u don't need to grab the opponent everytime when he's at 0% bcz of a true combo, if he sees u're trying it, he'll camp all day long till u hit him with another attack

3:30 when u're launched off, just fair > fastfall, if u jump will raise the moment just like the air dodge.

the mu against zss its a though one cuz she have a bigger range at aerials, so u could approach her in the ground using ftilts, dtilts and Properly spaced fairs. I know it's not that common but u could punish her using dsmashs/usmashs since it causes high damage (just in case ur using ur db a lot stalling it).

I hope I helped u anyway.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
best way to momentum cancel with most characters is fastest aerial > jump

air dodging does help cancel momentum, but not as much as fair > jump, however with some characters with terrible aerials, air dodge is the best momentum canceler. Don't remember which >_<

Thanks for the other advice though ^_^

salsa~

Smash Cadet
best way to momentum cancel with most characters is fastest aerial > jump

air dodging does help cancel momentum, but not as much as fair > jump, however with some characters with terrible aerials, air dodge is the best momentum canceler. Don't remember which >_<

Thanks for the other advice though ^_^
oh.. my bad then. always though that air dodge would just be worse in any case; prolly with a char that dont have a real fast aerial we like ike it should be nice. so the best to momentum cancel would be fair> fastfall>jump?

Reizilla

fastfalling is only if you risk dying off the top of the stage. jumping is for cancelling sideways momentum, sorry. so if you're heading up, then fair + fastfall, or dair is the best thing to do. If heading sideways, then fair > jump is best.

salsa~

Smash Cadet
fastfalling is only if you risk dying off the top of the stage. jumping is for cancelling sideways momentum, sorry. so if you're heading up, then fair + fastfall, or dair is the best thing to do. If heading sideways, then fair > jump is best.
hmm thanks dude. I prefer to use dair when i'm launched up cuz u kind of fastfall automatically XD.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y68MEp8Dz4

anybody want to crit steel samurai?

btw this is probably the 2nd best diddy kong in mw
- You seemed to have a backwards formula. it is very pointless to attack Diddy while he's setup (aka two nanas, you on the ledge + nana, etc.). However, with one or no nanas, you should go primal on him. The worst Diddy can do is Fair you.
- Steel's play was kinda predictable. When you get in a grab, mixups throws, pummels, DB, aerials, whatever! Coutn could've baited this so many times tbh. Leanr to mixup you actions, and utilize your options.
- Never try to beat Diddy in a battle of items, it just DOESN'T work smh. Diddy's item control outweighs Marth heavily, especially if you have a peanut and he has a nana.
- Your uses of the nana is not that great, atleast in this match. try your best to learn what you can do after you hit Diddy or his shield with nan. Learning nana use can help with gimping (Diddy recovering vertically should = death) and kill setups.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Me vs Candy (#1 player in the region)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag1dZapZyZY

his snake his unbelievable. i can see a ton of stupid mistakes i made from watching it. i was pretty nervous haha
In actuality you both made quite a few stupid mistakes LOL, but this was a good match.

0:06 - Thanks to Brawl's unexpected and marvelous tripping mechanic, I can't blame you for this. However, I think you coulda reacted fast enough to punish this with a grab combo or DB. Jumping back allowed Snake to control the stage and set up some kind of camp.
0:11 - I don't advise charging at a Snake whos sitting in shield with a grenade. You will either strike his shield and the grenade or mispace and get grabbed.
0:55 - In this situation, whenever Snake has some sort of trap setup, I woulda try to avoid it rather then trying to hit Snake. getup attack normally serves better at death percents when snake wants that Utilt KO. Otherwise a roll would serve best.
1:05 - Your ADing to close to Snake. He's alot faster than a heavy should be, but bleh. it costing you crucial percents on each grab.
1:12 - Spacing misjudgment I presume. Be careful cause you at real high percents, mistakes like these cost stocks.
2:05 - Db slip up, probably doesn't happen too often.
2:23 - A dthrow at these percents will most liekly never lead into a Dtilt trap. Either they will AD or jump, as they will DI up and way.
2:31 - Ok I've noticed a habit of yours. It's better to just SDI Snake's nair as UpB doesn't seem to hit right. This leads yto a stock loss.

- Less ADing toward sor close to your opponent
- Watch out for Snake's nades when pressuring
- Less Dtilt, it's not as effective in this MU
- Chase Snake higher in the air. His options below him, as I'm sure you know, aren't very good. Uairs high up give him serious hell, even with a C4 dropped. Just be cautious.
- Fair is your main tool agaisnt Snake. Whenever you were pressuring with it, Snake had little to do. Work on your aerial pressure and not hanging back due to nade spam.

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
Alright. I've got another match to judge. I had a match with my friend MX who also decided to play with Marth just for LOLZ really. Since he doesn't really play with Marth and I'm still a noob with Marth, the match was kinda weird. But still, please tell me what I did wrong and what I can improve on.

PK (P1 Marth) vs MX (P2 Marth) - Ditto used Transform.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Hey Bengalz.

Your evasive game with Marth is pretty good, but due to your lack of experience you definitely missed out on too many tight opportunities that needed you to switch into aggression.
I would say you need to put some practice into not being as evasive (yours is already good enough to piss off any snake on smashville with a percent lead), but tighter passive play (spacing) and gain more experience on when to go aggressive. From watching the vid I dont think I saw much if any aggressive play so Im not sure how well you can do that.

You did pretty well against Candy, be proud.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
Hello.

I am not a Marth player, but my brother is and I'm trying to train him up good and strong. I figured all you here would be able to say what my bro is and isn't doing better than I could. Below is a series of matches we played recently, so dig in.

1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mITP1u2idws&fmt=18
2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmj5vNMDtOg&fmt=18
3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M8ecZj9GDI&fmt=18
4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vPODywWplI&fmt=18
5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSnq8J3EPe4&fmt=18
6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRQQ633A99o&fmt=18
7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0pnkwPT4fU&fmt=18

And here's one against my Wolf instead of Fox.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apXs7Fgtr-U&fmt=18

I know there are things he should be doing but isn't, and things he is doing but shouldn't be. Not being an expert Marth player myself, I can't really help him too much. Any helpful input for my struggling brother and what he can do to improve is much appreciated.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Out of those videos pick one to get critiqued. One where loses would be preferable. Post 2 videos if you want, but that's the absolute max that you should post. People don't have time to go through 5 plus videos lol, so please ask your bro to choose one.

Reizilla

I only watched the Wolf one, but I'll give a crack at some things I noticed...

Tell him to fast fall his aerials. Also to work on his shorthops. And it seems like he uses direction + A for aerials. Tell him he should use C-stick for them as this will give him better control of his character and will help him space better, allowing him to do things like retreating fairs and falling uairs. Tell him to always be trying to tip with every attack.

On the ground, Marth's best move is Dancing Blade. He should use it more and replace Fsmash and Ftilt with it in most cases. Also, if you use dancing blade at the peak of your jump, it gives you a slight vertical boost, which would have saved his life at the end. Dtilt is also a good move on the ground.

Also, once he gets the hang of Marth's basic moveset and which moves are the best to use and which ones not to use, he should learn how to DI and momentum cancel.

The best thing you can tell him to do though, is to watch videos of good Marth players like NEO, and MikeHaze and look at what they do and try to replicate it ^_^ Too lazy to say anything else right now XD

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Thanks a lot for the help guys. Snake and D3 are my hardest matchups, I've been doing a lot of watching/studying/practicing against Snake so I think I'll have it down by my next tourney ;)

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnqwaowdEZU&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8U0u6014jg&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyZEhWx29ZQ&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79EFbWiZrj0&feature=channel

My first Marth critique videos. I know that I made lots of mistakes in them, and I want to get better! The first three are vs ROB and the last one is Kirby. Thanks in advance for any help. And sorry for the quality, I was experimenting with my capture card and compression program.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I guess I'll give some input on the Kirby one, I don't have enough experience to critique the ROB match-up yet.

@26, I'll assume you mean to pivot d-tilt, I find DB more reliable for punishing rolls.

@29 DS out of that throw was a bad idea lol. Kirby combos out of his F-throw, not D-throw.

@35 You should be attempting to retreat fairs against a grounded Kirby, otherwise, exactly what happened, happens. His F-smash will punish you if you whiff.

Try not to full-hop your fairs so much, it kept getting you u-tilted.

@~1:18 Too much rolling. Rolling is not a good choice most of the time. >_>

@1:36 U-smash OOS is for people who try to cross-up, or land in front of you. It's hitbox is big, but not THAT big.

@2:23 See my U-smash comment. Learn the hitbox range. >.>

@3:02 It had been working alright so far, but you're DS'ing a bit excessively.

@3:19 Bad guess on counter. It happens. Unless you know their habits, I would avoid guessing at random intervals. I save counter for stuff I can punish on reaction, and obvious edge-guarding attempts.

@3:23 Eeeeugh, bad DI on that one. Understandable, since you didn't expect it.

And...... then he SD'd. You should have been dead for that one.

So yeah, aside from that specific stuff, some general tips:

-Less reliance on DS
-Less rolling
-Tighten up spacing with fair, try to mix-up SHFF's and Full hops, but don't rely too much on either.

Hope some of this helps. ;)

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I watched the third match against ROB and I noticed that you could beat 90% of his actions by doing nothing. Play with more patience, don't always want to move first.

$c@R!!

Smash Rookie
well.. i'm new in this forum but i had tooo much time playing with marth also i am the best in my league a coulkd help you to get better i will upload.. a video.. bout me.. :)

Reizilla

What he said.

Also, never run into Snake's range, especially at death percents, or you'll eat a tilt like you did, and die. You seemed really eager to get some up airs in and whiffed a lot, giving up a good position some times, so yeah, more patience. Spamming up smash :X When you were off stage the first death, there's no reason for you to be swinging out fairs like that. Just concentrate on getting back, especially when he has nades around him to throw at you. My general rule of thumb when juggling Snake is to never do anything that would put me above him when going for uairs, which you did a few times, giving up a good position again. Oh, and nair is pretty much always the best option when they're down on a platform above you.

Sorry it was all jumbled and out of order. I'm sure if you just watch it again, you'll see what I'm talking about, if you didn't already catch most of it.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
1. Don't always land into shield. MIX IT UP GOD ****IT.
Seriously. Look at Snake's shield. If he doesn't have it up, why aren't you ****** him?. If he has it up, why aren't you ****** him? For everytime you hit his shield with a ff fair, you can db at around the same time he can grab... he only has rolls/dodges otherwise.

In general you shield too much when you don't need to/doing so decreases your over all speed and pressure.

2. I like the nair spacing :D *sheds a tear*

3. Take a look at your air dodging habits, you can't DI/change momentum when you airdodge early like you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom