• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

∫unk

Smash Master
no problem sir

ugh i didn't even follow my own advice this weekend... i just tried to do whatever the hell i wanted to do and got ***** XD

this game is hard

Ebo!

Smash Apprentice
lol yea thats me are these boreds active this is pretty much the first time i've posted here

Albert.

Smash Master
lol yea thats me are these boreds active this is pretty much the first time i've posted here
Yeah these boards are active lmao

cool places to check out:
-Marth General discussion (chat with fellow marth players)

-Marth Metagame thread (discuss marth in-game ****)

-Video Thread v3 (worked on by me!)

But yeah, I'll prolly add these. Get recorded more.

∫unk

Smash Master
ebo i didn't watch the whole vid (i will later). watching the first vid

you're letting him get behind you a lot.

follow his landing movement better with dash away pivot grabs/etc. you know what to do if you know they're trying to get behind you

i like your pressure game, i think you just have to throw in the mike a little more (when they want to escape you **** them for trying)

also don't lean forward every time you f-air, thats why a lot of your fairs aren't tipping

you have to adjust your f-air movement depending on the location of the opponent (again why clawing is better because it's much easier to do this right off the jump)

edit: yeah the more i watch this video the more i can see you like overextending... your spacing just has to get tighter... tip everything and you'll be safer (overall)

as the match went on you got a little repetitive... you didn't use shieldbreaker or counter those are really good situational moves

not a whole lot of jab f-tilt or dolphin slash... obviously all good too especially vs this toon link since all he wants to do is attack it seems like

ugh you lean forward so much XD like a noob in a marth ditto that only did retreating f-air would beat your current style, although it might just be you're using it vs toon link but i still dont think its great because when you land with an unspaced f-air you're letting them inside for free

and why isn't this toon link patient on recovery has he played vs a good ddd that's a gimp every time... and then he lets you grab him for free all you're doing is shielding (not setting up the grab)

this match is getting more and more >___>

okay like 3:25 is an obvious airdodge. you gotta ff u-air or n-air right there he does that every time and you're letting him get away

like right now youre playing

block an attack (holding shield up really early) -> retaliate

and he's just attacking your shield. all toon link has to do there is just go back to camping if youre waiting in shield for you to attack him. instead this toon link thinks its smart to just attack into your shield with his 2 inch sword and constantly get punished.

you get combo'd by b-air because you DI in towards the stage when you get near the edge. all you have to do is hold away, fast fall then double jump and you won't take so many b-airs. hell toon links just repeat b-airs and you know its coming so you should be attempting SDI

yeah i mean the toon link got spiked twice cause he doesn't know how to recover >__>

i ended up watching the whole video XD i dunno you guys aren't really adapting just doing the same things.

V

Smash Ace
@EBO

You sit in shield a lot when you don't need to. In the second match at one point you were on bottom secton and he was above you on the top platform and you just sat in shield. Platform pressure. You almost never retreat your fairs it's always approaching fairs and you jump over him and leave too many openings. You can retreat fair while still playing aggressively, it's just easier to space them that way. I saw you DB when he was sitting in shield a couple times. DB is good OoS as a punishing move, not an approach. When anybody is just sitting in shield, try SB. Either they take the broken shield or they let go and take damage, but it's a good position for you.

Overall work on creating a safe spacing game within your aggressive playstyle and you'll be punished a lot less.

Ebo!

Smash Apprentice
thanks drew that makes alot of sense to me i read junks essay like 4 times and still dont get it lol thanks alot tho junk your probably right im just kinda dumb when it calms to smash talk

Player-3

Smash Hero
stop pressing directions that aren't up on the control stick every time you get near him in your shield

NH Cody

Smash Champion
My fail marth
This was my first time doing marth vs sheik, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4sBOBrCPOM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJJGizlCbuw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEdrgiOiSoc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjVQwiJpEIs

But yeah, Marth's about a month old. Critique the heck out of these. I don't care if your mean; I just want the Marth to get better. :)
From the first video,

There are a few things I noticed.

IMO marth doesn't really need to roll. Jumping is usually the better option. And I think you rolled too much. More SH > spaced fair, less up-B in an attempt to kill at way low %s, and maybe even more pivot grabs/utilt on occasion. I would say less fsmash too but that's just me.

When you're falling, don't just fall, attack or airdodge. That's why you got grabbed when you were landing. If you did a spaced fair you would have gotten either a hit or been far enough away from Sheik to avoid being shieldgrabbed.

It's hard to explain...just try and be faster in your playstyle...maybe as in more aggressive.

MCladS

Smash Rookie
Hmm yes he needs probably a lot of critique but that's not his main character.

But his level stay very correct.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
give us singles matches first

the obvious meteor was obviously stupid

your dairing on stage far to often

your rolling improperly and too much

you need to work on the control of the character it seems your far to hesitant

to much poorly spaced f smash

your spacing is pretty terrible as well

for the first set of vids I promised to critque
link 2 said it was a malformed URL

on video 3 30 seconds in you tried to dair when you could have killed him with bair,

when he got back on you dair'd on stage for no reason when nair fair or dtilt would have been better options against his ledge options

junk mentioned this earlier but your doing a lot of what marths commonly do and thats not space correctly. I see a lot of non tips where other moves could have easily done the job, its not that its bad but could use more work as marth is such a spacing oriented character

at 3 minutes in you got hit by a a second mortar that could have been avoided

n vid 4 at 40 seconds you could have done a retreating fair away to avoid getting hit by mortar and not gotten grabed (as if you shielded you would have)

the snake needs a bit of fine tuning as well but....

MCladS

Smash Rookie
Thanks !

Yes that's right I use too much meteor, now I try to Bair in the cypher like you said.

But I'm rolling too much ? Or that's a critique for K11 ?

Sorry I'm a french player and I try to understand xD

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I was critquing 2 seperate players

after spacing is pretty terrible I critqued yours

the melee dude was rolling way to much not you

edgeluca

Smash Lord
NNID
Edgeluca
3DS FC
2879-0257-1267
I was critquing 2 seperate players

after spacing is pretty terrible I critqued yours

the melee dude was rolling way to much not you
It's funny how a melee player is rolling too much.
I mostly play melee, so I rarely roll, although it could be cause I use Samus in melee
I play brawl rarely, but when I do play it, I don't roll alot

ChibixD

Smash Apprentice
It's online, but the conection was good, and I think it wouldn't change much offline, and I don't have good players to fight offline =(

Anyway, critique as if it were offline

Chibi (Marth)x Lan (Pit) 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzCPVhmdST4
Chibi (Marth)x Lan (Pit) 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GwW5ch0T0w
Chibi (Marth)x Lan (Pit) 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOaJBGJ4I8A
Chibi (Marth)x Lan (Pit) 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBOqIar_LVw
Chibi (Marth)x Lan (Pit) 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhihf67U9pY

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
.........EVERYTHING CHANGES OFFLINE. even a 2 frame lag difference could easily affect a powershield and the MINUMUM lag (iirc there is a baseline lag coded in the game probably to process information) is .1 of a second or 6 frames.

salsa~

Smash Cadet
I still wonder why u didn't fthrow>fsmash at 1:58

keep up with the good work u almost got him (:

∫unk

Smash Master
****ing Shaky

Yeah you gotta just wait for his dodge movements and Ness shenanigans a little bit better. I think Marth has enough movement to get to his landing points so you just have to hide what your going to do until last second.

You just showed what you were going to do too early in most situations, and showed the same things too many times. He was mostly just reacting to you messing up.

Try to be innovative like in the beginning of the match you didn't have to get hit by the second part of the PKT you could counter.

Don't let him roll in on you when he's close to the ledge multiple times.

Don't hold towards the stage when you're getting hit near the the edge, that's how you get f-air'd 3x in a row.

Watching this match gave me an idea on how to beat players like Shaky so thank you :]

Mr-R

Smash Champion

Dopl-G

Smash Apprentice
*watches match 2*
*is impressed*
oh my god kasper !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~ i love his playstyle xD
anyway why is it that u got chaingrabbed andy ? couldn't u up b out of it ?
i'll try giving u some advice later when i get home even though im not so good at giving advice xD
From Anaky (As I Am Banned):

No if he times it perfect you cant UpB out of the chaingrab, i was spamming Upb like hell, but it is really hard to get the timings perfect. So i usually dont worry about it cuz he messes up, and i would ban FD against Keith but i decided not to.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
From Anaky (As I Am Banned):

No if he times it perfect you cant UpB out of the chaingrab, i was spamming Upb like hell, but it is really hard to get the timings perfect. So i usually dont worry about it cuz he messes up, and i would ban FD against Keith but i decided not to.
ur banned lol ?
i thought even if he buffered it, he could only get 3 grabs max ?
*summoning shaya*

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Brawl sucks incredibly and I wish it could be a different game which includes a factor which makes it interesting.
Anaky wanted me to post this for him.

Anaky Says:

Yeah me and Kasper were experimeting with it, he can get 5 grabs on you, but even if he gets the 5 grabs to spike, Marth can still recover, i just wasnt ready for it in the 2nd match. Boost pivot grab i think he can do it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom