• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
@Vibe, on the match against Snakeee:

Tbh I did look at your match and wasn't really motivated to comment (no disrespect, but you suck, just being honest here). But since that's a bit mean I'll give you a more general review:

- You start the match off by whiffing grabs, get stage control and get those armor pieces out of there (if you really want to play with your toys, stick to controlling one of them in a defensive/sure-to-hit-offensive manner).

- Don't jump in the water, I won't go into that kind of stuff from now on, you should know that yourself. Another tip: Upload vids in which we can see how good you play optimally (which does not mean how you **** noobs, but it does require you to post vids in which the things you do actually make sense, jumping in the water like that does not make any sense. At all.).

- Why try to spike him back? Don't look for payback, return to the stage safely and don't do silly things in the process.

- You try to spike him again, good going. KEEP STAGE CONTROL.

- You jump in the air and fastfall a nair (lol?) when he's sharking you, pretty much guaranteeing him a hit on your landing.

- DI.

- Don't overestimate the range on your moves.

- Don't attack someone with a position advantage which is only temporary.

- DI.

- Fthrow on 2:28, I'm not saying your choice was terrible per se, depending on what you answer to the following question: Were you expecting him to do something specific, if so what and why? You don't necessarily have to answer that directly, just contemplate it.

Sorry for my bluntness, I hope the review helps at least a little bit.

Player-3

Smash Hero
albert every time you ran up to him:

if he had a nade: you shield grabbed

if not: you spotdodged/shielded

V:

at least the majority of the time

what shaya said also

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace

Tbh I did look at your match and wasn't really motivated to comment (no disrespect, but you suck, just being honest here). But since that's a bit mean I'll give you a more general review:

- You start the match off by whiffing grabs, get stage control and get those armor pieces out of there (if you really want to play with your toys, stick to controlling one of them in a defensive/sure-to-hit-offensive manner).

- Don't jump in the water, I won't go into that kind of stuff from now on, you should know that yourself. Another tip: Upload vids in which we can see how good you play optimally (which does not mean how you **** noobs, but it does require you to post vids in which the things you do actually make sense, jumping in the water like that does not make any sense. At all.).

- Why try to spike him back? Don't look for payback, return to the stage safely and don't do silly things in the process.

- You jump in the air and fastfall a nair (lol?) when he's sharking you, pretty much guaranteeing him a hit on your landing.

- DI.

- DI.

- Fthrow on 2:28, I'm not saying your choice was terrible per se, depending on what you answer to the following question: Were you expecting him to do something specific, if so what and why? You don't necessarily have to answer that directly, just contemplate it.

Well the review helps, but I don't understand why you didn't want to in the first place. Of course I suck, that's why I want people better than me to critique me xD. And why would I post vids on how GOOD I do, when the simple critique would be "Lol you did good."

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I personally critique bad habits, styles of play, tendancies, etc.

The old style of critiquing which was moment by moment is more helpful for newer players as they point out what their options are/should have used etc etc.

It's why I tend not to critique newer players because of the over all time it requires to explain various options and what not.

Snakeee

Smash Master

- DI.

- DI.

Wow, are you nuts? I bet he's a million times better than you :p . He's progressing at an incredible rate. Yeah, he does need to work on some things, but considering how new he is to the scene, it's really impressive how well and quickly he's been adapting so far.

Also, it looks like you said a lot here...but you really didn't say much at all. You just said a few vague things and repeated yourself a few times. You didn't really address any of his mistakes, but for some reason addressed the more "nit-picky" issues like going for water spikes.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
It is funny because in a mood of boredom I just post a few lines which were never supposed to turn lives around in the first place, with me actually acknowledging that in the first place, people still manage to rant about all kinds of things impertinent to the idea of this thread. I don't like to critique friendlies, neither do I like to critique less-than-decent players who (imo) probably can't get to work with more indepth critique. Boredom makes one do a lot of strange things, which includes doing stuff one actually isn't all too fond of.

All this should not make a difference, however. Snakeee hops in and states that a random player he seems to have played in friendlies is a lot better than a random European player of whom he probably has never seen videos (or even heard a single thing about) in the first place. I don't really care about how high you rate me, but keep your integrity (and hell, your credibility) intact and don't resort to silly ad hominems (because really, not that I'm someone who tends to take offense by this sort of thing, but such remarks are just pointless and crude), stay classy.

And why would I post vids on how GOOD I do, when the simple critique would be "Lol you did good."
Because if you show us a video in which you're just messing around (I sincerely hope you can do better than that), we'd just be wasting our time cringing on mistakes you wouldn't make in a serious match anyway.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
The key is to post a video where you lost, but performed well, and made minimal obvious mistakes, imo. >_>

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
It is funny because in a mood of boredom I just post a few lines which were never supposed to turn lives around in the first place, with me actually acknowledging that in the first place, people still manage to rant about all kinds of things impertinent to the idea of this thread. I don't like to critique friendlies, neither do I like to critique less-than-decent players who (imo) probably can't get to work with more indepth critique. Boredom makes one do a lot of strange things, which includes doing stuff one actually isn't all too fond of.

All this should not make a difference, however. Snakeee hops in and states that a random player he seems to have played in friendlies is a lot better than a random European player of whom he probably has never seen videos (or even heard a single thing about) in the first place. I don't really care about how high you rate me, but keep your integrity (and hell, your credibility) intact and don't resort to silly ad hominems (because really, not that I'm someone who tends to take offense by this sort of thing, but such remarks are just pointless and crude), stay classy.

Because if you show us a video in which you're just messing around (I sincerely hope you can do better than that), we'd just be wasting our time cringing on mistakes you wouldn't make in a serious match anyway.
stfu, nobody cares about europe's ****ty players

∫unk

Smash Master
Lord Chair shouldn't be allowed to critique.

Not because of his skill level, but because of the way he posts. I have yet to read a post from him that didn't give off the vibe "I'm always right, you're always wrong, even if I'm wrong".

Lord Chair

Smash Master
But... but... trolling those who feel obliged to feel trolled (you) is too much fun :X

Of course, you won't see me being that bored all too often. Don't worry, you can ignore my posts as easily as you can ignore any other post you'd deem unworthy of reading. Or can you?

I'd give a Freudian analysis, but that's not quite what we're waiting for, are we? Contemplate the following: You're taking offense to something that tends to amuse a select group of people, and even though it might be written in a rather offensive fashion, the following facts apply:

- No offense is ever meant, I tend to state that whenever required.
- Even though they may appear offensive, I believe they often add at least the slightest bit of insight, as opposed to a certain amount of other posts, e.g:
Really, way to blame me for posting offensively and ignoring this kind of trollish behaviour.
- This is the internet, everything can be interpreted as being offensive. Your decision to rate my posts as such hurts your sake more than that of anyone else (perhaps mine, if it weren't for the fact that I have quite the clear vision on things).
- I shall repeat my state of being bored at times, posting the way I do may be a way of outing my frustrations towards the world and all that embodies it, or perhaps it's just a way to keep my usual realistic, sober way of taking the English language into practice in tight shape. Some people try to get rid of their frustrations or boredom through less practical means than my posting on these forums, the fact that I tend to help new players by giving them advice (no matter how crudely) should be regarded as a positive thing.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
No, kind sir. You fail to acknowledge the fact that you are overcomplicating something and cannot comprehend why you are being trolled the way you are. You charge in from out of the blue, accusing a helpful fellow of being offensive and rude, and subsequently ask for my removal from this thread! One could simply ask, and I'd gladly oblige. But no, indirectness is seemingly the way for you to go, as well as giving unpuncuated oneliners regarding all sorts of impertinent matters.

Would that be all? I'm afraid we're going severely offtopic. This matter should be taken to the social thread or hell, probably just private.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Being blunt is one thing, being an ******* during a critique is another. I recommend you don't critique anymore unless you want to give them constructive advice while maintaining a positive attitude, or else your post is overall negative to the player and doesn't help anyone. Plus, your critique wasn't even good.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
o________________________o
Can I just get a decent critique ffs?

I understand i'm not even close to a brawler with a name behind him, but I just want some tips. Maybe a little hint on some tricks that you can do in certain spots and what not.

OF COURSE I know I didn't DI perfectly, and I KNOW I didn't play without flaw, but I ALSO know that there's more than just DI, and perfect control to becoming good.

Player-3

Smash Hero
yeah i know right

vibe from what i saw you used alot of rising fairs, which agaisnt zss isn't very safe since she has a pretty NICE UP AERIAL

you got punished for it multiple times,

work on your punishments, alot of the times you failed to punish a whiffed grab, or you would punish with a fair when a DB would have been much better for damage and move refreshing, and positioning for that matter

that's really all i saw since i have no idea what a ZSS can do besides use her really NICE UP AERIAL

Player-3

Smash Hero
not necessarily but just mix up your SHs more, you did a whole lot of rising fairs, try more shff nairs or just sh > ff fair, it covers more and you aren't vulnerable to a uair

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Vibe, you rarely, if ever, fast falled your aerials or aerial movements in general.

Also you need to NOT throw out aerials when you are not in a position to hit someone.
Like the last stock last hit of your match against snakeee. Completely avoidable on your part.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
Greetings gentlemen,

You are waiting for a response that should and will never come, Chair is a god amongst men and knows exactly what his options are in these sorts of situations. Chair is very much aware of the fact that you are waiting for him to reply to your obvious trollish remarks, and he knows that responding to any of the aforementioned remarks is a bad thing to do, a waste of time as well as food for the obvious trolls whose named do not have to be mentioned, for those who I am talking about should already feel addressed at this point.

Anyhow, him answering to your desires of getting a response would only bring about the following things:

-A silly discussion is going to be extended.

-His wise words will go to waste, since his audience is obviously composed of obvious trolls.

-He will appear to be someone who always wants the last word, which is a childish concept and Chair is nothing even remotely close to childish (after all, he is a divine entity).

-It will only be a cause for infractions to be given, after all, you people would immediately retaliate through offensive, trollish or otherwise unnecessary means.

Do you understand, lads? There is no reason for him to continue this discussion, whatever profit you would be able to extract from an extended amount of silliness is not of Chair’s interest, at all. You have entertained him as much as you were (ignorantly) capable of, this is the end of his ventures within this subject, if he were to continue this discussion then he will do so whenever he pleases, but not now or any time soon.

Oh of course, you people would be shallow enough to expect this post to be written by Chair, but he would’ve written this message in a severely more entertaining, enlightening and, most of all, sacred manner. I am merely his spokesperson, the one to explain his motives and actions, for he has chosen to abandon this cause temporarily, but felt that removing his divine presence from this specific thread on this specific message board would have a taste of betrayal if not justified properly.

My name is Grizzer, and hereby I conclude this passage of reconciliation. May you all fare well, I bid you a warm and pleasant day.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I am being very heavy here, I know.
But apart from the conversation at hand not being specifically related to this topic's purpose (critiquing of game play videos), all of the one liner supports from friends, family and fans doesn't help.

Especially once the young'uns from the states wake up to the smell of fresh brewed trolling.
As I wish to go to sleep soon and don't want to keep handing out infractions, a lovely lock for the night.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Good morning, let's remain civil!

Just because of the last stream of posts cluttering things up,
If you have missed out on being critiqued / wish to be critiqued further, please [re]-post so we all have a clean slate here.

∫unk

Smash Master
vibe- i watched your match vs snakeee.

this applies to most marth's, and sorry in advance if i come off as harsh.

you just need to play this game a lot more. you don't understand when you're open and why things work. you're playing on your own pace, and not adjusting to the opponents playstyle and spacing (that's why almost none of your attacks are tipping, watch Mike or even me most of our attacks are tips). you run into a lot of obvious attacks. you stick to one idea and keep doing it. you need to know ahead of time what's good/bad and never repeatedly attempt the same thing.

for example, in the first minute of gameplay you attempt 6 grabs, and otherwise do f-air. Virtually all of Marth's moves are good, why am I basically seeing only 2. Out of the grabs, 1 was off a lucky powershield, 4 were misses, and 1 was legitimate. are grabs bad? no they ****. but you don't really know how to set them up, you can't just think "i'm going to grab them" and do it on command. it requires a lot of patience, tricky spacing, and pressure from your sword for them to start shielding where you can get grabs.

example 2, on the first stock, you unnecessarily put yourself in the water, which put you in a horrible position, then you kept on running into the move ZSS wants to hit you with the most twice. if it means going to back in the water at that point, it's better than getting hit with a d-smash.

this game takes a lot of thinking. right now i see your marth and (because i was there at one point), i understand. they're in x position so do y. that's not how it works because they're constantly moving too.

the only way to get follow ups and hits in a defensive game with little hitstun is make a lot of reads. if things don't go according to plan you need to immediately switch it up.

you need to understand matchups. zss has a bad grab, why aren't you constantly pressuring her with db1? she has very limited options against a spaced db1, and once you know snakeee's habits when it comes to pressure, you **** the **** out of him for it. it's a free hit so you have to make sure you follow up.

right now you have zero follow ups because you do the same thing after you hit someone every time. you have to look at your opponent and study their DI/air dodge habits/whether they attack, etc. since he's a smart player he's going to adjust, and that's when it starts getting interesting :]

a lot of times you just stand there, then try to react to snakee's movements. that's not how marth is supposed to be played, and you're reacting with the wrong option (attack). often times he's already attacking you and you're behind, that's why you get hit.

play smarter, play faster, play safer. unless you're playing mk it's impossible to beat good players playing auto-pilot. you should be constantly thinking and adjusting. constant movement, not the little spurts that you're doing right now.

After you read all that, look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1AmD97meFI

Hopefully a video like that, or any of Mike's videos makes more sense now.

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
So I've picked up Marth recently to secondary to my Ike, and while I know I've got a pretty solid Marth going already, I'd be very interested to see what the Marth mains think since recently a friend of mine has uploaded some vids for me.

I'm generally looking for any tips that might improve my game since I haven't had TOO much time to really grasp all the subtleties of the character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCZUTeGw45M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mA2swLV9xo

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I know it's usually more beneficial to post videos of losing in critique threads, but I don't have any of those :<

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Watched your vids. Can't really give you a critique right now, but it's really hard to give a critique when you're clearly superior to your opponents. Just the fact that you're able to up b so much shows that they are doing a lot of things wrong. I'll try to get back to you later though.

zer0.

Smash Apprentice
right now you have zero follow ups because you do the same thing after you hit someone every time. you have to look at your opponent and study their DI/air dodge habits/whether they attack, etc. since he's a smart player he's going to adjust, and that's when it starts getting interesting :]

a lot of times you just stand there, then try to react to snakee's movements. that's not how marth is supposed to be played, and you're reacting with the wrong option (attack). often times he's already attacking you and you're behind, that's why you get hit.
I feel so stupid right now. I already kinda knew all of this, but somehow I ignored it while playing in multiple occasions, reading this I "clicked". And this seems really basic to me, so that's why I'm feeling a little noobier now. Well, I hope I improve with this advices, even though they weren't addressed to me. Anyway, thanks Junk.

Fist time I'm glad all the USAxEU trolling happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom