• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Marth Video Critique Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjmQNq48ojc

My brother wants his Marth critiqued. All/any advice would be appreciated.
It was mostly pretty good, though I think he dashed in with a fair too much. Dashing when you don't know your opponent's position is pretty bad in general if you're only shielding and fairing because such few options can be shut down easily, the Kirby just didn't know how to capitalize on it in this case. I think he should replace his fairs with DBs sometimes, or maybe more than just sometimes because DB is much harder to punish/shield on reaction (upon seeing marth dash) than a fair. Also, less ftilt and more dtilt (without crouching!). Finally, a trick that I like to use near the ledge against multiple jump characters is to RAR and then double jump -> bair if I'm anticipating their double jump. Its vertical hitbox goes up surprisingly far, and it has a good chance of killing at high percents if you tip it because it's almost never stale. For example, at : 45, after Kirby's first double jump after getting knocked back, that would have been ideal time for him to double jump again, even though he didn't.

That's just what I thought was worth noting, I'd like to see what the other Marths think. Oh, and also does your brother use the "claw"? It looked like it to me.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
It was mostly pretty good, though I think he dashed in with a fair too much. Dashing when you don't know your opponent's position is pretty bad in general if you're only shielding and fairing because such few options can be shut down easily, the Kirby just didn't know how to capitalize on it in this case. I think he should replace his fairs with DBs sometimes, or maybe more than just sometimes because DB is much harder to punish/shield on reaction (upon seeing marth dash) than a fair. Also, less ftilt and more dtilt (without crouching!). Finally, a trick that I like to use near the ledge against multiple jump characters is to RAR and then double jump -> bair if I'm anticipating their double jump. Its vertical hitbox goes up surprisingly far, and it has a good chance of killing at high percents if you tip it because it's almost never stale. For example, at : 45, after Kirby's first double jump after getting knocked back, that would have been ideal time for him to double jump again, even though he didn't.

That's just what I thought was worth noting, I'd like to see what the other Marths think. Oh, and also does your brother use the "claw"? It looked like it to me.
No, he doesn't use the claw.

So should he shield more? He zones a lot and usually is constantly attacking. He doesn't know basically how to get through a camping nade throwing Snake.

All advice is good and thanks for anyone giving him advice.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Well, there's a few things I have to say on it, I guess.

He has a good grasp of the fundamentals, but he's throwing out attacks when he doesn't need to. Marth is an excellent reactionary character, and he should be waiting, so that he isn't giving his opponent spaces to attack. Otherwise he's very technically sound and seems to know what he's doing.

He should also work on playing reactionary when edge-guarding, I noticed he did some silly things like trying to use shield-breaker to edge-guard. He also got away with some risky things like walking up and using DB. I wouldn't do that too much, if the opponent was more skilled, he probably would have gotten punished more on block.

The Inhale-cide pretty much goes without saying. That should be something that happens once, then NEVER AGAIN.

To sum it up: Play reactionary more, Marth is really good at it.

And yes, in other match-ups, he should be shielding more. Kirby it isn't so bad, since we out-space him pretty hard.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Oh and he was wondering what do you specifically verse camping nade throwing Snakes with Marth? I know what to do with Wolf, but Marth I don't know what to say to my brother.

Fizzeler

Smash Rookie
Oh and he was wondering what do you specifically verse camping nade throwing Snakes with Marth? I know what to do with Wolf, but Marth I don't know what to say to my brother.
Pretty much that's what I need to know.^

Also Mk knowledge please. I lose to my brother's Mk ALOT.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Neo... you switched to default blue, you can't hog more than one color >____>

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Random dude offers critique services, we refuse, then proceed to ignore two people looking for critiques.

Good job, guys! *thumbs up*

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Random dude offers critique services, we refuse, then proceed to ignore two people looking for critiques.

Good job, guys! *thumbs up*
The funny part is, you didn't even look at the vids. Last I checked, this isn't a place to critique Brawl+.

Sake, you get way too courageous with your pokes against Dedede, and it costs you a lot because Dedede has superior range and absurdly meaty attacks.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Really? B+? Youtube doesn't agree with me, or I would have. Haha XD

dubesinhower

Smash Cadet
where should i post my brawl+ uploads where someone will critique them? didn't mean to post in the wrong thread.

zer0.

Smash Apprentice
yup, one of them is B+, but the other one is regular brawl and still you guy ignored it. not completely though, color is really metagame relevant ._.

Player-3

Smash Hero
i've always lost to dededes with marth so i'm not going to critique lol since i can't even play the **** matchup myself

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
Hi, maybe some of you know me, well I'm an european Falco main but I'm starting to use Marth more and more and I kinda have trouble versus MK. I'll use falco vs mk in tourney but I have the risk of being counterpicked so I aim to learn the match-up.

It would also be nice if I got feedback not only on the mk match-up but about marth , here are some recent friendlies I have with Marth, thanks in advance :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PKsoxE2_qY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jc0CTRWkUM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufedHoHlFPc

Devinish

Smash Cadet
Here are some things I noticed about those games.

1) You took most of your damage near the ledge. You might want to practice dealing with MK near the ledge specifically. Know your ledge options, and more importantly, know his and how to avoid getting hit.

2) Take advantage of that grab release every chance you get. You gave him a few freebies. Every percentage point counts, especially on MK.

3) There was one part where you got a bit DS happy, and he punished you for it.

4) When MK won, he often did it by a slight comeback. Make sure to keep your head in the game, even when you think you have the game in the bag.

That's all I got.

GingaNinja

Smash Rookie
Watched both vids steel. Noticed a couple things that stood out.
+++ Defense: In both fights the majority of your damage came from when Clowsui approached while you patiently respaced and waited. Which is the smart thing to do when someone becomes over aggressive/borderline reckless. Good retreating fair's, try some retreating shff nair. I saw you enjoyed jumping as well, you could mix up your timing by throwing in a sh db1, and situationally sh with a full db.

+++Offensive Approaches: You had too few approaches and too few mixups. You approached with dtilts, sh fair into double jump fair, full hop fair, sliding shields, and run in dancing blades, and dash grab. You have also developed a habit where depending on your spacing you would use the same attacks/approaches. The only time you were punished for this was in the first fight against falco(first 45seconds), you approached predictably while he stayed just out of your range and punished. Though once you got near kill percentage he became too hasty and soon lost his composure, just like his mk he began attacking out of desperation.

+++ Holes in Gameplay: +You mainly took damage when you approached (especially against mk), took some damage when you would try and force moves vs mk. Try to mixup your play more, if you find your approaches not working (i.e him staying just out of range,shield grabbing, or getting predicted) +Start observing his style more. For falco you could use the platforms on battlefield more for avoiding lasers, baiting, and mixups. +Maintain more map control while keeping up the pressure on him (note. as you near high knockback % mapcontrol begins to mean less.) +Fast fall a lot more. +The sliding shield is an effective tool for approaching and maintaining pressure, be aware that your opponent might still continue attacking either because he expects you to release your shield or he is desperate(A desperate opponent will not stand down when you threaten with map control). +Adapt to opponents styles. +Punish falco's upB more with fair and dolphin slash. +Learn your chaingrab vs falco. +Mix up how you return to the stage, *don't always go low especially vs mk.

+++ It's difficult to say anymore because..... your opponent refused to punish you. You learn nothing when you win. Regardless, you basically just need to tighten up your gameplay in a few aspects. You have a good understanding of the game as well as execution. Other than that, good videos man. And if you come out with nothing else from this overkill of a response, become unpredictable. Easier said than done right?

I guess I gotta post a video of me now so everyone can rip into my ****storm of a Marth. lol

clowsui

Smash Legend
I will have a more complete response to your post later, but overall I'm confused w/ a lot of the points you made in your post considering I'm almost sure I made an effort to do a lot of the things that you said I didn't do. Maybe I'll watch the videos again.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Hi, maybe some of you know me, well I'm an european Falco main but I'm starting to use Marth more and more and I kinda have trouble versus MK. I'll use falco vs mk in tourney but I have the risk of being counterpicked so I aim to learn the match-up.

It would also be nice if I got feedback not only on the mk match-up but about marth , here are some recent friendlies I have with Marth, thanks in advance :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PKsoxE2_qY
- Be careful when jumping in on MK. He has a lot of options to **** obvious aerial approaches.
- Learn to UpB, Counter-on-reaction, and Fsmash Nado. It helps a BUNCH!
- Your ADing out of his attacks way too much. This sets you up for some painful damage chains.
- Mixup your ledge options (the few you have -_-). It feels like an impossible task, but if keep MK guessing, you'll have greater results. Learning the UpB Instant Grab helps utilize more invincibility and greatly increasing your options and chances.
- You had so many chances to abuse your grab game on MK. You couldn't see with each dash in you did, he shielded? God, you coulda had a field day on the guy!
- Speaking of, patch up your GR combos. I never heard of GR --> Jab working.... And OMG if only you utilized GR --> UpB!!!
- Ok last thing on grab lol. When MK is landing from a laggy move, a Dsmash and Usmash would provide as better punishments then grabs. And since you were fishing, you missed a lot of damage opportunities.
- You must really watch your double jump by the ledge. This has to be the most annoying, unfortunate disadvantage to Marth in this MU. Kadaj taught me the hard way about conserving your DJ.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Hey guys. Got 3 tourney sets from this past weekend.

Winners Semis

Espy (Sonic) vs Nike (Marth) 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWpemztQUKA
Espy (Sonic) vs Nike (Marth) 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cSmRNWNHTE

Espy is my cities best player. I've never taken a tourney from him and they usually end up like this.

Losers Semis

K Prime (Pikachu) vs Nike (Marth) 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdD05j1Sqyg
K Prime (Pikachu) vs Nike (Marth) 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3iUj_yJSRo
K Prime (Pikachu) vs Nike (Marth) 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJFDKP849a0

K Prime is my cities #2 player. It's the first time I've ever beaten him in tourney, but I feel like I still have stuff to learn.

Losers Finals

Ozz (Fox) vs Nike (Marth) 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbElI7SZYEU
Ozz (Fox) vs Nike (Marth) 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-NnpZ2eEvs
Ozz (Fox) vs Nike (Marth) 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoqRSdU-b-I
Ozz (Fox) vs Nike (Marth) 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu6dwfIJfBI

Ozz quit falco and mains fox. He's top15 in Texas atm and decided to come to our tourney.

Any criticism or help would be appreciated :)

∫unk

Smash Master
okay guys u should all go to theelectricscribble.com havok is giving free critiques there.

im pretty sure havok even advertised in the social thread but yeah i know he already critiqued uchihas marth. whatever havok doesnt cover ill look at when i get back but go to him first and if u dont get a response for a while ill look. maybe i should just critique a set a day on my own blog...

Marcbri

Smash Lord
NNID
Marcbri
- Speaking of, patch up your GR combos. I never heard of GR --> Jab working.... And OMG if only you utilized GR --> UpB!!!

Great advice, although this one is mainly because I fail buffered moves ( then Marth jabs xD) and I don't gr upb unless for the kill to not stall it. but all the other stuff you wrote help me, thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom