• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Critique Thread

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
i don't mean any offence by this, but are you trying to do all these AT's all the time just for the sake of doing AT's?

there are so many times where you b-reverse lasered when you could simply just SHDL (which i saw very little of you doing that properly if at all btw)

also I noticed you used BDACUS a lot, imo that should be saved more for killing rather than throwing it out every 20-30 seconds wherein it becomes predictable

it seems you can perform your AT's with falco well but I think you need to pick up on falco's basic gameplay more

just my 2 cents

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
i just picked up falco literally last week, thanks in advance lul
i don't mean any offence by this, but are you trying to do all these AT's all the time just for the sake of doing AT's?

there are so many times where you b-reverse lasered when you could simply just SHDL (which i saw very little of you doing that properly if at all btw)

also I noticed you used BDACUS a lot, imo that should be saved more for killing rather than throwing it out every 20-30 seconds wherein it becomes predictable

it seems you can perform your AT's with falco well but I think you need to pick up on falco's basic gameplay more

just my 2 cents
i think it can be implied that i pretty much had no idea what i was doing - my playstyle atm is just rack up damage doing whatever then kill

i already know its a very bad playstyle for falco, but eh, i just want pointers on what to do or w/e because i have a tourney coming up and i want to use falco over snake this once

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
oh sorry my bad, i forgot that you just picked him up. Falco is AMAZING at racking up damage so that's definately a good mindset

-practice SHDL more, it's falco's bread to his butter and we know falco loves his bread.
-jab, jab, jab cuz you know... jab
-in the snake MU, if you're in danger of being blown up by a grenade don't spot dodge it, just shield it
-watch plenty of vids of other falco's and notice their basic playstyles, although a lot of them can be similar in some regards, each one is at least slightly different than the other. Try to incorporate some elements of the basic playstyles you like from some of those videos into your own gameplay until you get a good feel for it.
-speaking of getting a good feel for it, I think the most important thing you need to do is get a better feel for falco. Play more matches against people and get more practice in, try out all of falco's moves and get a feel for which moves work best in different situations.

it's hard to offer any more advice other than this since you just picked him up, but I can tell you're an experienced brawl player already: nice DI, good tech skil, etc. After you've practiced falco a bunch more and gotten a better feel for him put up some more vids and we'll be glad to help you out.

Also if you haven't heard this yet, welcome to the falco boards!

Edit: i've recently remade the new falco video thread so go here and check out a ton of different vids: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=294823

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Dude Calvo stop with the fancy crap. DACUS is good for killing not racking up damage. Make better usage of your lasers like ChaosDrifter said. I think you need to just chill out and think about what you're doing and not rush into everything.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
>implying i havent stopped

thanks again for the tips Chaos, i appreciate it

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
tell him he goes off stage too much relying on up-b to recover after. falco's up-b is a TERRIBLE recovery and should be avoided if you can. if that sheik had more MU knowledge he would've killed you everytime for it resulting in a very quick game. Your friend will get punished hard in tournaments if he does that alot.

Also i noticed he was trying to bdcaus to get the kill alot on the first stock. There were a few opportunities he could've just u-smash OoS to kill that sheik. bdacus isn't the only way to get a usmash kill, in fact it's not even the best way. u-smash OoS is a great method to punish laggy moves like sheik's f-smash and get the kill (this situation happened in your friend's match 1st stock but he did not u-smash OoS). Tell him to watch a few videos in the falco video thread of players like DEHF or FGCU Viper and pay attention to 1. how they recover back to stage, 2. how they edgeguard, and 3. how they punish.

i think ur friend can do decently in tournaments, he just needs to avoid some of his bad habits that will be exploited hard for an early kill

Die !

Smash Cadet
Pretty Much what the guy above me said

On a Side note:
He plays similar to rain

Kasper!

Smash Lord
Hey Falcos since it seems like the day that MK gets ban is never going to come. It seems i need to put an extra amount of time in learning the mu as it is the one i have the most trouble with by a long shot.

can you guys work me through these games i would appreciate it.

vs. ExDeath (MK) 1, Dec 2010
vs. ExDeath (MK) 2, Dec 2010

[/CENTER]
i only saw like game 1 (listening to ma cassidy tracks haha xD)

powersheild tornados and angle up
if a meta glides at you, nair him
DONT YOU DARE EVER JAB AFTER A CHAINGRAB WHEN URE NEAR THE EDGE EVER AGAIN unless he's mid/high in percent
jab after downthrow at mid percents
wavebounce, be flashy, play faster

also

Predict when meta is gonna land e.g. after dair, you can punish with alot of stuff like grabs, jabs etc
Predict when meta will go on platforms e.g. after u hit him and proceed to double lazer (both lazers aimed at the peak of your jump of course, saw u do it in game 1 like once or twice but not nearly enough)

i could see ure lack of confidence in the mu just by watching as there were times were u could have punished but didnt. You seemed almost scared :(

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Hey Falcos since it seems like the day that MK gets ban is never going to come. It seems i need to put an extra amount of time in learning the mu as it is the one i have the most trouble with by a long shot.

can you guys work me through these games i would appreciate it.

vs. ExDeath (MK) 1, Dec 2010
vs. ExDeath (MK) 2, Dec 2010

[/CENTER]
Viper overall I think you know what to do in the matchup but need practice with certain situations. xdeath is a plain MK so he's pretty good practice. I destroyed him with everyone but Falco (since I didn't use Falco).

Match 1
Your beginning and first stock was very good. You recovered nicely and kept a safe lead by camping and keeping it at your pace. After your first stock was gone things slipped. You got more reckless, aggressive and sloppy with your camping. At the edge, like Kasper said, do not jab after a chaingrab. Spike. It's a better option at that position. You could even possibly pull a me and spike or edgehog the shuttleloop. Overall it was a good match.

Match 2
It started off kind of rough. You don't have to start the match by short hop double lasering. That didn't work well for you. I liked your use of nair throughout the match. I noticed that you have a tendency to roll and airdodge quite a bit. In this particular match, rolling didn't hurt but the airdodges did. I know from experience, that you're pressured - but don't do it unless it's totally necessary. I also get that the stage selection didn't really help either. But you did pretty good.

Also, RAR bair (run up to him, turn around, and short hop bair) and BDACUS would have helped. Wish the other matches were there, too.

I think you've improved so much so quick. With the matchup practice I hope you continue to do that. GGs, and hope we can actually play at your next tourney.

Exdeath

Smash Master
i could see ure lack of confidence in the mu just by watching as there were times were u could have punished but didnt. You seemed almost scared :(
Viper has quite a bit of experience against me both in and out of tournament. I use a few different playstyles, and I believe that Viper was fishing for a set of adaptations that he already has instead of adapting to me like he would normally.

I destroyed him with everyone but Falco (since I didn't use Falco).
I two-stocked your Snake, Marth, and possibly your Meta Knight (I forget all of the characters that you used, but I believe that I two stocked all of your characters) and three stocked your Falco. To your credit, I believe that you won a few games in the hour or so that we played friendlies. :reverse:

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Viper has quite a bit of experience against me both in and out of tournament. I use a few different playstyles, and I believe that Viper was fishing for a set of adaptations that he already has instead of adapting to me like he would normally.

I two-stocked your Snake, Marth, and possibly your Meta Knight (I forget all of the characters that you used, but I believe that I two stocked all of your characters) and three stocked your Falco. To your credit, I believe that you won a few games in the hour or so that we played friendlies. :reverse:
My claim was pretty exaggerated. I remember I counter two-stocked at least with Snake and won with Marth. But I'll definitely do what I said next time and haul ***.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
I got two of my video's uploaded and I did worse than I thought. I need advice fellow Falco's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6IJiDq5ENo&list=WL
G1
the start i was wondering why you did not shark him with nair up air and bair. Then i realized that you were waiting for the stage to turn to the beach good thinking.
once on the beach you need to understand that your IAP will be less useful due to the uneven ground.
All he is trying to do is camp you till he is outof CG presents. Its up to you weather you want to take the easy hits or wait it out for a grab to come your way.
I take the easy hits due to the fact that if he puts % on me while i am only hitting him with lasors i am risking not even getting the grab and giving up easy %.

You did not recover to the ledge one time. You need to mix up your recovery in order to avoid being easly predicted.
As you were playing in g1 you were punished over and over for taking the stage every time.
Good use in retreating Dair jab cancle was good as well. I dont feel like you rushed for the kill as i did not see many stray smashes and thats a good thing that you did not panick.
overall you know the basics of falco and that player was just better overall

good ****

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
G1
the start i was wondering why you did not shark him with nair up air and bair. Then i realized that you were waiting for the stage to turn to the beach good thinking.
once on the beach you need to understand that your IAP will be less useful due to the uneven ground.
All he is trying to do is camp you till he is outof CG presents. Its up to you weather you want to take the easy hits or wait it out for a grab to come your way.
I take the easy hits due to the fact that if he puts % on me while i am only hitting him with lasors i am risking not even getting the grab and giving up easy %.

You did not recover to the ledge one time. You need to mix up your recovery in order to avoid being easly predicted.
As you were playing in g1 you were punished over and over for taking the stage every time.
Good use in retreating Dair jab cancle was good as well. I dont feel like you rushed for the kill as i did not see many stray smashes and thats a good thing that you did not panick.
overall you know the basics of falco and that player was just better overall

good ****
I know the basics but I messed up of some of the AT's and a kill and at 3:32 to 3:40 out of a grab release and messed up on shield grabs cause of Falco's grab range. What does IAP mean and what do think about game 2?

Edit: I still got 3 stocked.

omega zero

Smash Cadet
game genie, have you read the matchup guide? If not, you should read ours and theirs. One thing that will really help you is learning the range of DDDs standing grab, that way you can space yourself better. Learning Snakes F-tilt range really helped me from running headlong into it.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
game 1, end of your first stock, if you were on any other stage, you would have had no choice but to side b into ddds up tilt and die, which is what you did. But at that particular moment, you would have actually been able to up b straight up, and land on the next transformation with out dying, had you thought of it.
second stock, you do a couple dash grabs when ddd is all the way across the stage, after wards I realise that is you failing to dacus. but 2 problems. 1. you need to tighten up your techskill. 2. dont dacus at anybody randomly with no set up like that. its an easy way to get yourself *****
at around 2:35, note how you are shooting lasers and he is putting himself in a position where he cant be hit by them. and he stands there... and he waits...
take a page out of his book, and learn to be more patient.
you pretty much spent the entire match mindlessly attacking his shield (and subsequently getting grabbed) and side b ing into his uptilts. You have to think about what you are doing, why would you side b at all when ddd is all the way across the stage?

game 2, you ate SOOOO many bairs from ddd, by getting greedy and trying to combo him further than you shoulda been.
on the second boat sequence you played well, you stayed away, you played patient, side bd when he got close. but the third time around on the boat you got in to a pattern, and patterns in brawl = death. so you started side b ing into him when he was nowhere near you. which got you up tilted and grabed some more.
at 3:55, you could have just stood on the donuts and rode them down to the ship instead of taking the CLEARLY more dangerous route of going around and having to go thru ddd to get to the ship.

all in all you just have to keep playing and work on your spacing and timing for things and your flow. You whiffed so many grabs, dairs and up smashes in the set that it made my stomach hurt. knowing the actual range on those moves will prevent this. Your falco was kinda slow too, you just have to tighten up and do like tmacc did and minimize as many of your vulnerabilities as you can.

lastly, this goes out to all falcos, you need to stop acting like side bing on to the stage is the only way to get off the ledge, you all are getting ***** for it constantly. Yes. ALL of you. Especially YOU.

clowsui

Smash Legend
every single falco i see nowadays that isn't performing they way they want to doesn't have control over their character

and even some of the ones that do decently have barely acceptable levels of proficiency w/ falco's movement

learn how to control your character

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace
every single falco i see nowadays that isn't performing they way they want to doesn't have control over their character

and even some of the ones that do decently have barely acceptable levels of proficiency w/ falco's movement

learn how to control your character
I agree. I also suffer from this, but the reality is my lack of wii doesn't let me buff up on tech skill. I recently read that people think falco is easy...

The basics might be, but Falco has a lot of things that need attention. We need to stop thinking our spot on the tier list means falco can just randomly win... cause we need to put in work.

And I don't want to stir up conflict, I just think we as falco players have a lot of potential, we just need to learn how to polish our characters.

One last thing... we need to mind game properly xD, it's the only sure way to get kills.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
up smash oos and drop shield hyphen smash are guaranteed punishes on a lot of the cast.

especially if we can get them to not space things right.

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
Its sad Falco's upsmash cant come out a little faster...I think it takes something like 11 frames for the hitbox to come out. =/ I find myself killing with upsmash only with shdl>bdacus and even that can be perfect shielded with laser hitstun.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Its sad Falco's upsmash cant come out a little faster...I think it takes something like 11 frames for the hitbox to come out. =/ I find myself killing with upsmash only with shdl>bdacus and even that can be perfect shielded with laser hitstun.
i am pretty sure that its 8 frame up smash.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
game genie, have you read the matchup guide? If not, you should read ours and theirs. One thing that will really help you is learning the range of DDDs standing grab, that way you can space yourself better. Learning Snakes F-tilt range really helped me from running headlong into it.
game 1, end of your first stock, if you were on any other stage, you would have had no choice but to side b into ddds up tilt and die, which is what you did. But at that particular moment, you would have actually been able to up b straight up, and land on the next transformation with out dying, had you thought of it.
second stock, you do a couple dash grabs when ddd is all the way across the stage, after wards I realise that is you failing to dacus. but 2 problems. 1. you need to tighten up your techskill. 2. dont dacus at anybody randomly with no set up like that. its an easy way to get yourself *****
at around 2:35, note how you are shooting lasers and he is putting himself in a position where he cant be hit by them. and he stands there... and he waits...
take a page out of his book, and learn to be more patient.
you pretty much spent the entire match mindlessly attacking his shield (and subsequently getting grabbed) and side b ing into his uptilts. You have to think about what you are doing, why would you side b at all when ddd is all the way across the stage?

game 2, you ate SOOOO many bairs from ddd, by getting greedy and trying to combo him further than you shoulda been.
on the second boat sequence you played well, you stayed away, you played patient, side bd when he got close. but the third time around on the boat you got in to a pattern, and patterns in brawl = death. so you started side b ing into him when he was nowhere near you. which got you up tilted and grabed some more.
at 3:55, you could have just stood on the donuts and rode them down to the ship instead of taking the CLEARLY more dangerous route of going around and having to go thru ddd to get to the ship.

all in all you just have to keep playing and work on your spacing and timing for things and your flow. You whiffed so many grabs, dairs and up smashes in the set that it made my stomach hurt. knowing the actual range on those moves will prevent this. Your falco was kinda slow too, you just have to tighten up and do like tmacc did and minimize as many of your vulnerabilities as you can.

lastly, this goes out to all falcos, you need to stop acting like side bing on to the stage is the only way to get off the ledge, you all are getting ***** for it constantly. Yes. ALL of you. Especially YOU.
Thanks for the info fellas I have read MU before for D3 in this board but not the D3 boards and I don't get a chance to play often against D3's and used what I learn to action by reading up plus I forget sometimes but otherwise thanks for the advice.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I got another video against Joker the snake I keep on losing to but we forgot to record match 1 and it's was bad that all u guys need to know anyway here it is. I'm mad nervous in this fight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pysgxpg7gLg&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
2 things :
1-learn to use your ground game, like jab and tilts and stuff.
2-stop doing stupid stuff, like approaching with hyphen smash, reflecting things that haven't been thrown yet, keeping on camping even when the statues block your lasers or you're getting outcamped by Snake (at the beginning of your second stock I was like "why do you do this to yourself ? ;_;"), doing grounded phantasms that end right next to Snake, etc.

All in all learn to use your options, your zoning and make yourself an offensive game so that you can mix it up with your defensive game.

MARLX

Smash Journeyman
Very nice performence and great battle style. The thing was predicted Dacus NEED TO GO FOR LEDGE! and keep going with lasers best for MK breaks through all of his moves and stops all his approches.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Hey tommy how long does this offer stand cause I'm going to a tourney tom. and might get something recorded :p.
Edit to the video thing: I will try to time stamp review all videos that you all ask me to do, but I'm making it my priority to get everyone's first video out before anything, then school, the other videos.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Edit to the video thing: I will try to time stamp review all videos that you all ask me to do, but I'm making it my priority to get everyone's first video out before anything, then school, the other videos.
quite logical. And nice of you. thx tommeh.

Top Bottom