• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Falco Critique Thread

Sph34r

Smash Journeyman
VS ROB:

First of all, (applies to both vids) your opponent wasn't particularly impressive, so it's hard to say how you would have faired against someone who would give you a challenge (both vids were 2 stocks, and you had a fully charged Fsmash kill -_-).

From what I saw though, you were pretty good with aggressive/defensive, though it kinda seems you didn't blend them much. By that I mean, you only really used SHLD/SHL when you were strictly camping, but not so much randomly or as an approach. I can't really say much besides don't spam reflector, if that ROB was a bit smarter he could've baited you into something, since at one point you stood there using it 3 times on the ground.

Oh and uh, lol @2:39, sniped.

VS Meta:

Don't use IAP at the beginning part of the stage. Again, if that Meta was a bit better, he would've punished at least one of them with something.

Yeah, that was short, try uploading a match where you lose or get taken down to one stock at mid-high percent.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Advantage of having separate critique threads for every players: More responses and thread is more easy to organise

Having a central critique thread: Less responses, videos are just scattered everywhere

Combining this with the video thread: Even less responses

That's how I see it :S

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
Part 1: I like your use of DACUS. And your laser usage. But the MK kind of sucked... Hard to critique domination. You were very fast paced and kept the fight in your control.
Part 2: 4:23 nice recovery. I'd have use more laser to pressure, and running away works. Frigate is small, but that can be worked around. @ around 4:42, you guys just did a lot of spot dodging. Dsmash would've been semi-helpful if you could predict him, or Utilt would have done something to him. 6:27, you let go of shield? The MK seems to want to glide attack every time. 6:33 don't be afraid to mix it up with FireFox, but I don't think it would've made a huge difference. MK was pretty close to you. 6:50 jump high into the air and spam lasers is kind of good.

Generally, hard to say how your playing is. One match dominate, next match dominated. That MK was very unorthodox...

Edit: Why do you grab release so much? Try to mix it up a bit?

Off topic: This is my first post in a long time! I'm baaaaaaaack!

Vlade

Social Outcast
Part 1: I like your use of DACUS. And your laser usage. But the MK kind of sucked... Hard to critique domination. You were very fast paced and kept the fight in your control.
I would just like to point out that dmbrandon is no scrub, and was probably still learning the matchup during the first game :p

erick gm14

Smash Ace
heres match 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R9dDK56WVc
me vs. Cable
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srAgaz_Ycj0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68NO8X0szcs
me vs. zucco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Atcz_fbxNo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzXVkunclOc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjDYIGbkO-k

... i'd comment that i fished for kills at frigate. that was probs my problem, he was up in my face..
darn, i hope he aint mad.. i didnt even know our matches were recorded.. hopefully he doesnt mind.

Vlade

Social Outcast
yeah, fishing for kills is always a huge problem, I've lost tonnes of matches because of it

It's pretty normal for my opponent to live to 150% at least once per match, but you just gotta be patient and have the mentality of 'taking the least amount of damage possible'

I'll do a more in-depth critique afterwards

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
im not, im clear with what i said, when u mash buttons, your likely to press the two jump buttons or up..
Then you're not smart.

A smart player knows the opponents options and will avoid a guaranteed kill at the expense of 2-3% damage and an unstale.

stealth edit

You don't see a smart wario not button mashing in the risk of air releasing, he does, he just avoids jump inputs.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
heres match 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R9dDK56WVc
me vs. Cable
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srAgaz_Ycj0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68NO8X0szcs
me vs. zucco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Atcz_fbxNo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzXVkunclOc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjDYIGbkO-k

... i'd comment that i fished for kills at frigate. that was probs my problem, he was up in my face..
darn, i hope he aint mad.. i didnt even know our matches were recorded.. hopefully he doesnt mind.
First vid: try perfecting your SHDL.

Second: 0:07 don't use use Phantasm at close range. Mix up your recovery a bit, it's OK to use Firefox. Don't always go for the grab. The times when Luigi spotdodges your grabs (or outdistances them), use the jab.

Third: Again, better timed lasers will be better in this matchup. Try to anticipate Wario's movements and shoot lasers to pin him down. Starting from 2:14, nice blitz. I wish I could do that... 2:33 yeah, use Firefox, but use it smartly! But I'm sure that you couldn't have done anything at that point. When you grab release, can't you pummel when waiting for the release?

Fifth: 1:35 too far away for Dsmash. And I'm thinking that in a couple places you could've tried for a spike.

Sixth: I'm thinking that you got outpredicted at the end. Would rising Nair be safer against a Lucario above you? And in all your videos, you seem to prefer Dthrow over all the rest. Shine out of shield viable?

Hope this helps a little.

Off topic: How do you do the thing when you Phantasm twice at the edge of the stage? It's a great mindgame.

erick gm14

Smash Ace
i dont understand then.. so i guess most the top players are not smart if they fall for this..

thanks bleach! yea, we r getting better, hopefully they dont pair us again.. that was stupid.. im not half black btw XDD

erick gm14

Smash Ace
Sonic is weird.
(I had too much fun that match, but w/e)
jon? ROFL jp serg, u shoulda charged... he charged his and his move has crazy knockback even uncharged.. u did a stale F-smash uncharged.. well, dont have too much fun next time, ill be MMing Kai at veridian.. id love to see how this goes, and he wont use my 5 bucks to turn to pennies and shower in them :DD. lol jp, ill try.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
Don't take low tiers lightly!

Yeah, the character caught me off guard.

Sonics Dash attack, when you get hit, tempts you to try to hit him back. Do not. It's a free attack, for him. Also jabbing and dash attack destroys him on the ground and bair beats him in the air. The only reason Sonic is any 'good' is because he throws off anyone who doesn't know what they are doing/you don't have a set plan.

Whatever you do, just don't jump a lot, force him to the floor and just shut down Sonic.

Also Sonics cancels are very specific and you should just try to remember that his Down-B can cancel into a shield/grab if he performs it in the air. Side-B can cancel into Shield/Grab before he releases on the ground.

You can grab Sonic out of his Up-B like Snakes Cypher. (Just don't pummel)
Never land near him, he can F-smash you out of landing lag.

Yeah, I did lots of research after I lost. I'm doing the same for Ness now.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord

Sonics Dash attack, when you get hit, tempts you to try to hit him back. Do not. It's a free attack, for him. Also jabbing and dash attack destroys him on the ground and bair beats him in the air. The only reason Sonic is any 'good' is because he throws off anyone who doesn't know what they are doing/you don't have a set plan.

Whatever you do, just don't jump a lot, force him to the floor and just shut down Sonic.

Also Sonics cancels are very specific and you should just try to remember that his Down-B can cancel into a shield/grab if he performs it in the air. Side-B can cancel into Shield/Grab before he releases on the ground.

sonic isn't low tier per the newest tier list, jumping 8 MOTHER ****ING SPOTS WTF?!?!

ness is though so yeah, learn that =]

erick gm14

Smash Ace

i know most of this from facing king shado in aib. sonic can cancel many things.. and BAN YI on him >_>..

ShadoFiend

Smash Lord
Lol KiD. I'm that "King Shado from AiB" xD

As a Sonic main i have alot to tell about the match up.

Never. NEVER approach Sonic. Abuse lasers and make him come to you. Jab with clank with his spindash and you will be able to jab again before he can do anything. Every good Sonic will bait you after a Dash attack. So dont be a fool and attack him after the initial hit unless ur at a low percent. Then you will be able too.

You will never grab a good Sonic out of his Spring. Instead of trying to do that try to punish when he will land. once coming back on the stage.

Thats pretty much all I have to say on it. Since i play Shugo's Falco all the time. And can never beat it. I get close but I cant. lol

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
Vid 1: 3:38 you charged up your Usmash... Overall, I like your laser usage. Phantasming could be cleaned up, though. Try IAPing. And you seem to have your DACUS down pat. That R.O.B. wasn't all that great, tbh. Also, a couple of times you grabbed R.O.B. and did only one Dthrow. You didn't chain. Personally, I go for the chain whenever I get a grab at early %s.

Vid 2: 0:24, lots of back and forth there. Know when to get away and when to punish. Know the range of your jab, too. FFBair is nice to use. Phantasm canceling would have mixed up your game and helped to prevent the killing of your recovery. I personally don't use Phantasm to attack when the opponent is in my face. It's too punishable. Know when to use Firefox and when to use Phantasm when mixing up your recovery.

Vid 3: Again, chaingrab when you can. R.O.B. was trying to Bair you out of your Phantasm, and if he was a better player he would've punished you every time. Mix up your recovery. Don't be afraid to try and gimp R.O.B. Hard, yes, but doable. More to pressure his offstage recovery than anything else (the R.O.B. never used megaburner...). You seem to double jump into the air after R.O.B. a lot. Again, mixing up your game is good. Try to fake him into using his second jump, and then go up and meet him. Overall, nice laser usage. Work on mixing up your recovery. And, though your opponent didn't exploit this, R.O.B. could play shark underneath the stage if he wanted to. One thing I like to do on Halberd is to make the laser fire a little ways away from the edge (inwards, towards the stage). That way you have a wall of hitboxes in front of you while you hide behind and annoy with lasers :chuckle:

Denzi

Smash Master
Also, a couple of times you grabbed R.O.B. and did only one Dthrow. You didn't chain. Personally, I go for the chain whenever I get a grab at early %s.
You can't chaingrab ROB...

And you aren't going to be gimping a ROB that has any idea what it's doing.

I'd also like to point out that Nair is one of your most versatile tools on Yoshis, and Rob can only beat it out if you come in from the front.

Top Bottom