• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Chat with Emblem Lord Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPEternity

Smash Journeyman
i would dare to say a person who is jobless with kids they see often would be just a tad more concerned about that. but thats just me

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
its just hard as hell to space :(
More then just that for me at least...

1) Dancing blade is a gamble and only works right half the time.
2) 95% of Marths moves seems way slower than they are supposed to.
3) Counter is trash online.
4) Its almost impossible to punish someone when you need to.
5) He loses his speed advantage, meaning slower characters will have a easier time with you.

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure where to put this, but I decided to do a few range tests

Marth's standing grab range > Meta Knight's standing grab range

Marth's standing grab range > DK's standing grab range
This one surprised me. DK's grab range is actually a bit shorter than it looks; Marth grabs at the tip of his fingers, DK grabs closer to the middle of his hands.

Shield Breaker > Lucario's FSmash
Again, I didn't expect this.

Marth's FTilt > Marth's DTilt
By very little.

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
Who does better against Snake and DK: Marth or MetaKnight?

I've been trying to use Marth as a Snake and DK, and I'm having some success, but I still lose to people that know what they're doing.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I forgot what world I'm in honestly. I would have to load up my character again and look.

I usually start off liking anyone unconditionally and then you have to do something really stupid or ignorant to get me to dislike you or at the very least I would just ignore your existence.

Obviously Metaknight does better vs anyone then Marth does other then the characters that Marth has grab release set-ups on. MK is the best character in the game and Marth is not.

Eh, I got into the smash community about 3 years ago. Some of my college friends played smash, but they were casuals and I ***** them. Then on a day that I didn't have classes one of my boys brought his friend to the college. He was a Fox main and he ***** everyone. So the next day we played and we went even with each other. We started training and going to tournies together and we bonded very quickly. After only 3 or 4months we were closer then brothers. He started a crew called TSA and I joined maybe a month or two later as the second in command. After that TSA started hosting Melee tournies and bi-weeklies and more and more people were joining us.

TSA is disbanded now and I'm in a crew called Montage. My former leader was named Warrior of Zarona (WoZ). He also became a mod since he became so popular in the Melee tournament scene.

There is a smash wiki page about TSA. Here is the link. http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/TSA

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
Wow, this is really cool. It's awesome to have something casual like this and get to learn about each other, probably brings us closer. (Insert sentimental phrase from Full House and a hug here).

Anyways, Emblem Lord, and anyone else who wants to answer this - Do you play any sports or just any sort of activity like hiking, sailing, rock climbing, etc?

I personally run XC and Track, and I find that it helps my mind wander if i'm feeling frustrated or anything. It's a good break from Smash if I find myself stuck or if i've just been playing too long. Also, it doesnt hurt to be really really good looking....jk.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Nah, I was never the outdoorsie type. I did Martial Arts when I was younger, but I feel off with that as I got older.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I play Basketball a lot. There is a park right next to my house with a court and me and lots of my friends from my neighborhood play a lot, but none of them play Smash. Basketball lets me blow off steam if I get angry, which doesn't happen often, but I always go out and play if I'm PO'ed. I also enjoy baseball, but i haven't played in a while. I also used to spar in Kung Fu, I got good but then I moved.

Tears, why do you change your avatar so often?

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
I play Basketball a lot. There is a park right next to my house with a court and me and lots of my friends from my neighborhood play a lot, but none of them play Smash. Basketball lets me blow off steam if I get angry, which doesn't happen often, but I always go out and play if I'm PO'ed. I also enjoy baseball, but i haven't played in a while. I also used to spar in Kung Fu, I got good but then I moved.

Tears, why do you change your avatar so often?
Very nice. I run for mostly the exact same reasons. Basketball is awesome, also.

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
cool cuz me and my friend are starting kung fu next month cuz now im working as a lifeguard (it sucks sitting in the sun for 8 hours)weregoing to get realy into it since i wanted to do it from when i was a child but never had the chance
in my whole life i did swimming, football, basketball, volleyball, tennis, hockey....i can go on forever
i was realy into rollerblading on ramps until they closed the place that had those ramps to put a bouncy castle place (LOL) and so all my friends and others who used to go there all suddenly stopped since it was the only one that was in the city at that time :(

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
smashpedia said:
Emblem Lord is often the target of many cruel inside jokes that are aimed at him in public, which lead some people to believe that TSA hates him, when in fact, it's true. Ouch. Just kidding, of course.
Oh boy, there is no love for marth mains...

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
One of the things I disliked about TSA. WoZ had a habit of teasing me which I usually just ignored since I'm pretty indifferent, but it was annoying having to hear a joke about myself almost every time I posted in our thread.

∫unk

Smash Master
Gishnak and I were having this argument... is it okay for Marth to f-smash when the opponent is <20%.

I argue that it'll be fresh by the time you want to kill with it because of dancing blade, he doesn't think so.

And I know f-smash isn't something I should be spamming at any time but the situation comes up a lot with low percent set ups where the dancing blade won't reach (I get hit with shield up so I get pushed away into tipper f-smash range, etc.)

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
At lower percents it's w/e since by the time they are within killing range it should be back up to full power.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
This is a very unique thread and I like the way it's headed so far. Hmmmm...ok! I have a question: Emblem Lord, do you think that all of your time invested into Smash has been worthwhile? I know that you want to be remembered, but there are many things you could apply yourself to and do well at, yet you chose to help us Marth mainers. Have the people, places, and overall experiences been as you expected them to be?

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
what approach do you use on MK? and whats your playstyle against a zelda (no sheik)?

anyone can answer this.
You probably shouldn't approach Meta. Keep him away with fairs and dtilts and if you see an opportunity use dancing blade to either punish him or take advantage when he is trying to zone you.

I played a few zeldas yesterday and they rely on punishing your mistakes. If you play smart you really shouldn't have any trouble against them. Smash DI out of the up smash. Shield approach/short hop air dodge the din's fire. Zone her with tilts and fairs, she can't beat Marth's spacing game.

If you're able to predict where her teleport recovery will land you'll get a free fsmash/dancing blade in.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I feel like I will definitely be remembered, not just for my work with Marth in Brawl, but also what I helped do for the smash community in NJ and for what I did for Marth in Melee.

Going to tournies and meeting people is always awesome. It's always fun to meet someone in another state and they already know who you are or they are eager to meet you. It's like coming home all over again even though I'm not at my own house.

Some experiences I have had with people are negative and some are positive, but I choose to learn from the negative things and focus on the positive things.

Overall my time with Smash has been worthwhile. I accomplished all my goals and did what I set out to do. At first when Brawl came out no one really cared what I had to say and it was a constant struggle to be taken seriously. But I just said ,"f*ck it" and kept doing my research. After I made the Marth strategies thread, everyone did a 180 and gave me props.

Honestly I was surprised. I didn't think one thread would change anyone's opinion of me, but suddenly the same people who criticized me in my Marth match-up thread were on my nutsack. LMAO!!!

BTW I bear those people no ill will at all. It's human nature to be skeptical of anyone or anything at first. I guess that second thread really changed people's minds about me.

But I didn't do all that to gain recognition. Being remembered is just a bonus. The real reward is just sharing what I know and making the community great. I love the Marth community because so many of us do our part in taking Marth to the next level.

I have this vision of the Marth community with all of us in white lab coats writing down formulas and data while we unlock the secrets of Marth's metagame. I feel like the Marth boards are the most advanced in terms of research and the most analytical out of all the character boards.

It gives me a really good feeling inside when I think about it. So to think that I had a hand in the development of the Marth community and how we as a community approach Marth's metagame makes me feel really good about myself and happy to be a part of this great community.

Lirok

Smash Journeyman
You probably shouldn't approach Meta. Keep him away with fairs and dtilts and if you see an opportunity use dancing blade to either punish him or take advantage when he is trying to zone you.

I played a few zeldas yesterday and they rely on punishing your mistakes. If you play smart you really shouldn't have any trouble against them. Smash DI out of the up smash. Shield approach/short hop air dodge the din's fire. Zone her with tilts and fairs, she can't beat Marth's spacing game.

If you're able to predict where her teleport recovery will land you'll get a free fsmash/dancing blade in.
yes, fairs are good, just you need to really abuse their range because MKs fair will beat it in priority. i also use nair for that reason. dtilt is a new one, i will try that. otherwise i fight MK with sheilding and spacing, maybe how most people do it.

never fought zeldas, 0 experience left me getting punished. i do notice that they play a sheilding game, might get opening for sheild breaker.

thanks for the tips.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
That is a truly amazing response. It's great that I get to learn from somone so dedicated. I also have one more(less profound) question: does it ever get tiresome to critique/watch lower-level Marths? With this great urge to help it must be difficult when the majority of those that ask for help are having serious trouble(myself included sometimes lol).

xXZeroXx

Smash Cadet
What consoles do you have? Yes, I know you have a Wii, GameCube, DS and maybe N64, what else? Kind of games you like?

What is what you like most of Marth? I mean, MetaKnight is faster and is a perfect-for-gimp character, why not any other?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
That is a truly amazing response. It's great that I get to learn from somone so dedicated. I also have one more(less profound) question: does it ever get tiresome to critique/watch lower-level Marths? With this great urge to help it must be difficult when the majority of those that ask for help are having serious trouble(myself included sometimes lol).
If anything, he probably doesn't mind, nobody is an instant pro, not I, not EL, nobody. We all had to start somewhere, I am pretty sure he would say the same thing but that is my opinion, so I should probably stop answering some of the questions directed to him...

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I agree, but it never hurts to get his perspective on a few things that I'm curious about. Anyways, even with this knowledge, it can still be somewhat tiresome, so I was wondering what his thought processes were behind critiquing/watching other Marths.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I like analyzing vids and helping people improve so it's no problem for me. If I don't feel like critiquing a vid I just don't do it and I will do it some other time.

Yeah, that's really me in the picture. The pic is horrible and old and that's why I posted it. My hair is all messed up and my facial hair is shaved off.

I'll post a good pic someday.

I have a PS2 which I adore. I love fighting games, RPG's, and action adventure games.

I like Marth because he is good, but it takes effort. When I play MK I don't even have to try and it's just too easy. I think MK is a skill less character that takes very little effort to be good with.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
hahaha.

Everyone says that.

"You're black?!"

Indeed. EL is black. rofl.