• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official APEX 2012 Results Thread! ALL RESULTS UP. International takes it all!

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
You have to realize though that it's just the one matchup that takes that long. What other Melee set in the tournament have you seen go to time?

stelzig

Smash Lord
As far as I know, there are other competitive games that actually take (WAY) more than a few minutes to play out. I can't disagree that the long matches do seem to put off alot of fighting gamers though. But it just isn't a given that a match should only take 90 seconds.
I also don't see how you think that 3 stock matches with a 4 minute timer would become more agressive, they would just be easier to time out... Is it that you think the guy behind will become more impatient?

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
omg starcraft takes hours to finish how do they keep anyone interested lolololol a set can take dayssssss theres no way anyone could ever play that game lmaooooo

X- Sylar -X

Smash Journeyman
Shoutout to alex strife for putting together this phenomenal event. Shoutout to everyone who could make it out to witness it. Shoutout 2 weon x.and i.b for 25th shoutout to unkown for 9th and kk for 5th way to go canada.

:phone:

BigWenz

Smash Ace
First of all why 7 minutes? Is it necessary 7 minutes to defeat an opponent. Second which characters benefit for this kind of rule set? It comes to mind that campers like jiggs and other benefit from that rule.

I dont really know how this should be adressed but something must be done.

One ruleset i've tried with my friends is 3 stocks and 4 minutes. It makes the match more agressive. Something that would have helped a lot in the past GF.

any match up that invovles anyone not in the top 8-10 will take a while. Low tiers are low tier for a reason, and have no means of going super aggro, or having a decent way of approaching. Even then some matches between characters in the top 10 will take a while like doc v. jiggs for example. Played correctly, that match up will take some time, especially on dreamland (~5-6 minutes) So lowering the timer, would just result in more matches going to timeout, regardless if it was due to camping/intent to time out or the fact that its not plausible for a certain character to play a high speed match.

also overall, i had a great time at apex. Met alotta cool people, got white castle and fat sandwiches which were awesome.

props to alex strife for organizing this event, you may not be great at running the actual tourny but i take my hat off to you for organizing all the different events, getting sponsors etc.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
There is a reason why smash will never return to either MLG or Evo for that matter. First is an old game and second, considering tge game was new, the ruleset is hurting pretty bad the scene.

Apex GF melee was sad. It showed how old the ruleset for time and stocks it were. Any other fighting game the most a match will take is 3 minutes. And that is a rare case. Melee matches are 7 minutes. That is too long for a match and to keep entertained a croud. Could u imagine that in Evo. It would be embarrasing. And if for some reason players decide to play like in apex GF at least we dont have to watch for so long.

Same happened to third strike in Evo 2k8.

Now why are the ruleset for melee so old.

First of all why 7 minutes? Is it necessary 7 minutes to defeat an opponent. Second which characters benefit for this kind of rule set? It comes to mind that campers like jiggs and other benefit from that rule.

I dont really know how this should be adressed but something must be done.

One ruleset i've tried with my friends is 3 stocks and 4 minutes. It makes the match more agressive. Something that would have helped a lot in the past GF.

I'm not exactly an expert or even super knowledgeable about Street Fighter IV, but i'm sure there are one or two matchups that are inclined to go to time most of the time. This means in 1 grand finals set you could take 25 minutes- Whereas in brawl and melee the max is 40. That's still pretty long- and im sure people get just as frustrated when street fighter and marvel run to time. Its the way things go sometimes, it just happened to be in grand finals. Play to win.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Fun yet tiring weekend. Hard to believe I still made it into bracket but I did it somehow.

All the Peach players I met- Nice to see you all again and some new faces like Illmatic and z0mfg from mexico. Fun hanging with you guys

NYC people- Thanks for the support and advice. You guys also played a big part for me to do well here.

Kingtoon - "Now you can't say you suck anymore, you made it into bracket" Heh, I don't know. But I guess I can somwhat say to myself that I am not a bad player and actually mean it. Thanks for the support.

Zenton- Thanks for the advice, wish I had played you in pools like I did you in friendlies. My emotions get too me too much. Think at this tourny, I over came then a lil better.

Steep- it was fun hanging out with you and jessie in NYC. Along with teams. Don't worry about out getting beat bad in teams bracket and that MM teams we did. it means nothing to me and should not mean anything to you. See you around.

Mink- Fun matches. Idk how I was able to go wild with Peach somewhat and I was trained on energy. But I just did not wanna lose to you, hahaha.

Veggi- Not a bad mario. Keep it up. Want peach help, you can contact me in many ways on here.

DEHF- Dude, you and me with peach and meta knight is freaking sick. If I ever go to the WC to a legal meta tourny we have to team. Good seeing you again.

dmbrandon- Thanks for the congrats dude. it was so random for you to even say that to me. Somehow that ment alot.

K.I.D Goggles- Funny dude. "What, Dark.Pch made bracket!?!" Thanks though for thinking after all my failures in tournament that I was still a beast and can do damage. Took me three years to do so since SNES.

DLA- Love your freaking ganon, **** is insane. fun matches man.

Ripple- GGs. Maybe now you will believe what I say when it comes to Peach and DK. And you can also ask will about it. Though I have to thank will for playing him alot and beating him at the last tourny to give me confidence that I know this match up fully and could win.

K Prime - Dude, you was the most hardest and scariest match I ever had. All because I am not use to fighting pika at all. And I had to figure out the match up on the spot, then figure out the player. That was double the work and so hard. You had a better chance then me since you played Illmatic alot. But our set was one of the best I ever had and might be one of the best hype matches at apex.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't remember anyone else so good games to all. I played alot of people. Oh get at me and rain hyping people up thinking it was a pools match when we played a friendlie and people watching. I won that match. I just wanted to get one win off of him for revenge at apex 2010. And I finally did. So many wicked things happen to me at this tournament. To unreal.

But I would have to give the most thanks to my brother. I know he was with me in spirit at this tournament. right when I just given up in matches, he help me get through it all. Thanks alot bro, you always had my back, even for something silly like a video game.

R.I.P Frankie Lugo. This **** was for you big bro. Let it be known!

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
it is pretty sad -.- **** america, i'm ashamed to live here
wtf? because people don't cheer for you? i don't understand why people think the community is obligated to cheer for someone even if they don't care to see them win, just because it's your nationality..

someone that feels obligated to be cheered upon and then calls america out because they don't, shouldn't be cheered for at all anyway.

you have spoiled yourself within this community!

edit; this is definitely not just a brawl thing, I and MANY others cheered AR MA DA during genesis 2 grand finals.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
@Alex:

You may remember I was at Apex 2010, you may not. I was not there this year but I have long since left the Smash community for other games anyway (primarily MvC3, so I see a lot of the talk from the FGC side of things concerning Apex). First of all, the FGC is like 70% idiots, so don't let their flak make your decisions. Secondly, these are the things I remember from Apex 2010:
-Meeting/playing awesome new people
-Project M is awesome
-Alex Strife ran the best-run tourney I've ever been to

I'm certain that you did your best to make this tournament the best experience for everyone, and certain that you'll do better if you return. If it is time to retire though, ignore all the flak and make that choice based on your own criteria.

Also, at all the cheering for the home team drama: nationality is nothing more than coincidence, get over yourselves. Pride should be reserved for accomplishments. If a player is from your local region and you directly played a big part in getting them to the top by training with them all the time, you can take pride in their accomplishments. If you happened to be born in the same ~10 million square kilometers as a person but have no other connection to them....who the **** cares?

edit: miles are not kilometers

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Also, at all the cheering for the home team drama: nationality is nothing more than coincidence, get over yourselves. Pride should be reserved for accomplishments. If a player is from your local region and you directly played a big part in getting them to the top by training with them all the time, you can take pride in their accomplishments. If you happened to be born in the same ~10 million square miles as a person but have no other connection to them....who the **** cares?
This, so much.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I cheer for my friends, then upsets. So basically I cheer for lower tier characters.

If M2K started using a different character in a stylish way, i'd probably cheer for it since its new to watch.

R3N0

Smash Lord
i cheer for m2k all day, because he worked hard to get where he is.

unless its for like mango. i <3 mango.

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
M2K maybe if you want people to cheer for you, you should make them want to be around you. Not **** in their beds when they let you stay there, not Charge for smashing lessons while staying at their house, drink their milk from a glass....stuff like that I still remember reading all the stories (some may not be true because they are stories but I doubt all of them are wrong). I will cheer for Ally because I think he's the best AND he's a cool NICE person. And even though he is from canada I feel he represents what I want my fellow americans to be much more then you. Also stop doing gay crap to win like picking SV and gliding scrooging for 2 minutes because a Diddy will beat you on stage.

Tl;dr don't piss everyone off and maybe they will cheer for you in some games

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I have a few mins at work so I figured this would be the last post I make on smashboards.

Over this last year and a half I have worked with the best staff possible. I feel that the ideas we all came up with for this event were simply amazing. The only thing I was disappointed in were the amount of setups this year vs 2010 and just little things that were not in my control.

I wanted to say that everyone should really look at a few people for this event being the way it is.

Crismas - She made the site / designed EVERYTHING / and made the artist alley amazing. People never seem to shout her out but she deserves a lot of credit for everything when it comes to how Apex looked and felt.

Doom/CM/Chibo/Fats - These guys RAN and organized the bracket for brawl. Throughout the whole day I saw these guys running 3-4 pools at a time / announcing matches/ just working hard. These guys fixed everything and Chibo is just a god at the things he does.

Hyuga/FullMetal - These two ran Melee and made everything awesome with it. It was a great idea to have them involved and I hope everyone realizes that these are the two of the best TOs for melee ( since Alukard was not helping and beating people in Marvel I will say we did not have the perfect melee staff ;) )

Refs - These people volunteered to help and took time out of their days for working hard for the event.

Bionic/Jaxel - They made the stream great...period...it was the best Smash stream ever conceived.

Keitaro - You helped a lot with PR and really got it out there to the casuals at Rutgers. I blame you for 400 people in brawl...jk

FGC - When Apex 2013 comes around we will make sure you are taken care of properly.

DM - We got through it. Bottom line is that you Chibo me and Cristin all did so much work that we were all at stressed out but it worked out in the end. You helped with many of the sponsors and did great commentary for Doom. If there was another Apex I would not do it without you or the same staff I had.

Doing an event like this is not possible without great people helping. For me it was the first time I relied on others to run my event. I simply had so much to do I could not physically run the event. I tried to make sure everyone got a break and for those who did not I am sorry. It is over now and I hope you can forgive all of that was done.

This is my last post so I just wanted to say this. Do not think I am not replaceable. Everyone is it is a matter of people caring enough to do a great event. Hopefully I have shown the potential we have for our community and proved how great it is for all of us. The next two months are crucial cause we need to evaluate this event and find solutions to all the problems we had. It is something we can do and I know we can.

Thank you guys for everything. You made these years so great. I will miss you all. Once I pay everyone and such that will be it for me. I do not feel like I have given you guys my everything but I feel that I have let you down .

Thank you for all understanding.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
I have nothing to complain about in terms of the tournament as I didn't go, but for future tournaments for anyone, I think all TO's need to understand how important a stream is for growing the community..we had so many newcomers that dont know smash, get to watch our stream which was the featured stream on twitch, and besides doubles which is already too much for a newcomer, they all got to see 2-3 hours of first round of a single pool (4 players over and over and over). I understand there's no way you had time to take care of this alex, but im sure someone could have. The streamers were yelling about this for hours and jaxel practically unacknowledged us as a whole for it. This was extremely irritating.

This is not a real complaint whatsoever, as I understand the constraints, just more of a suggestion to future TO's. The stream is incredibly important! Also any TO who turns down streaming for the purpose of "you should be there instead" is literally tarnishing the community as a whole. If we want to grow, making VIEWABLE streams as a standard for even regionals is a must..

the fighting game community makes our streaming depressing. Apex did it right for the most part but that was a first for our community. They have top notch quality streams practically every day to every few days..i guess it's just a matter of dedication. If we had a few AJP_Anton's in america we'd probably be doing great.

Tony T

Smash Ace
@ Alex Strife: You are one of the Best TO's that I know and I also know that no one can replace you because there can be only one Alex Strife. I'm giving credit were credit is due and I hope you will at least attend next years APEX at least. Thank You for the amazing tournaments you hosted over the last 3 years man and I'm sure everyone in the community feels the same way if not that's their own opinion vs everyone elses. You will definitely be missed Bro.

From,

Tony T

P.S. I Still like that custom made Sonic ID band it suits you well.

Thino

Smash Master
we had so many newcomers that dont know smash, get to watch our stream which was the featured stream on twitch, and besides doubles which is already too much for a newcomer, they all got to see 2-3 hours of first round of a single pool (4 players over and over and over). I understand there's no way you had time to take care of this alex, but im sure someone could have. The streamers were yelling about this for hours and jaxel practically unacknowledged us as a whole for it. This was extremely irritating.
What possible solution could there be for that? Additional setups on more TVs?

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Strife, people may have been pissed about the first day or two (maybe even day 3) of the tournament but in the end the hype was there and most people had a GREAT time. You did an awesome job at getting a great venue, over 700 smashers, and the biggest smash tournament in the world finished within 3 days. This was hard to do and although there were problems, it was done.

I hope you decide to continue Apex. It is the only tournament series that can get over 300 for both Melee and Brawl. You are a great TO and with the proper help you can become even greater.

And on that note, whether I'm staff or not in the future, PLEASE try to listen to my ideas regarding scheduling. Almost everything I said would happen regarding time, did. People tried to complain about things not going according to schedule but if they had half a brain they would have realized that over 200 people with 2 rounds of pools and bracket will not finish in one day. With proper scheduling you'll be able to run 400+ entrants for Brawl and Melee each, on time with time to spare. We'll eventually speak more about this and I'll show you just how good I am with scheduling after I propose my future tournament schedule soon.

Once again, you did a great job. I swear you're International TO management is *** without Crismas LMAOOO but since she's there you two can make things epic like they already were at this Apex. If you run another one, propose your plans to the community on how it'll be planned out better and I'm sure they will listen and spend hundreds of dollars to come to your tournament again cause they did and still trust in you. We shall smash drills together soon!!

big bad wolf

Smash Journeyman
Shoutouts to all the people who hustled to get to this event , I know it wasnt easy for everyone , but I am glad people made it out there . A lot of players are taking a leave to focus more on school and life including myself .Soooo seeing everyone one last time was very fulfilling . Thanks for the efforts from everyone !

Tony T

Smash Ace
Shoutouts to all the people who hustled to get to this event , I know it wasnt easy for everyone , but I am glad people made it out there . A lot of players are taking a leave to focus more on school and life including myself .Soooo seeing everyone one last time was very fulfilling . Thanks for the efforts from everyone !
You will definitely be missed bro.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
shoutouts to crimsas. I didn't know she did so much work. As for the lack of setups that's the community's failure.But still imo tourney ran smoothly.

Also cya Alex. Great job on hosting it. We'll miss you. :luigi:

also shoutouts to the genius who bought a tv with no video or audio ports. nice troll it got so many people.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
@thino

It would've taken like 5-10 minutes i'm sure which is time, but they coulda rotated the pools once or twice. Like have 1 guy tell both groups "hey you guys are swapping TV's go right now" which if everyone is there should happen instantly.

But we literally got to see the same 4-5 people playing eachother for a really, really long time.

those kinda calls/decisions are basically either making the tournament run better, or grow the community as a whole in the long run.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
The event itself wasn't perfect, and I know that definitely because I was part of staff. Nevertheless, I cannot describe how amazing the hype was, and to be able to experience it all in person was breathtaking. I got to meet people from around the world and have fun in the funniest ways possible. I learned a ton of stuff. I had the best time.

Ultimately, Apex 2012 definitely ensured my love for all you guys, even all you people I don't know. I love the Smash community, all you guys are ****ing awesome, even the few of you I don't particularly care for. We're all Smashers; Brawlers, Meleers, 64ers, all of you. You all da bess.

Shoutouts to everyone. I've talked to many of you personally to show you all how much I really appreciate the work you've put in. Diem, Doom, Strife, Cris, D1, Fats, Chibo, Dogy, Pierce, Gunblade, Will, PD, all my NY/NJ peeps, Leap of Faith, New England, Blackanese and the NYC peeps, hell even the Nova Scotia players I met. And everyone else. I'm not forgetting you, there are just too many of you guys to name.

Glad I was part of the event. From the unpacking of systems to the finals of each game on Sunday, I am glad I was ****ing there. You all should be too, even if some unfortunate circumstances did occur.

We didn't need to call it Apex, but it was certainly the Apex of this community, and I hope we continue to grow and get to bigger places. We don't need acceptance from the FGC or #esports to do so, we got this everyone. I can't wait to see where we'll be in one year, two years, three years, hopefully more than five years so I have enough time to get good at this game.

Love all you guys. Every single one of you, trust me on this. Much love to everyone, no hatred to any one of you guys, not one. Anyone who thinks I hate them, I don't, you'll all cool in my books. I'm so glad to be part of this community, even if many of us can be complete idiots sometimes. <3

Thino

Smash Master
@thino

It would've taken like 5-10 minutes i'm sure which is time, but they coulda rotated the pools once or twice. Like have 1 guy tell both groups "hey you guys are swapping TV's go right now" which if everyone is there should happen instantly.

But we literally got to see the same 4-5 people playing eachother for a really, really long time.

those kinda calls/decisions are basically either making the tournament run better, or grow the community as a whole in the long run.
I see what youre saying, but yea you seem to be aware of the constraints at the venue too ( cables, wires, moving capture cards setup to another TV, splitters, cutting off the whole stream, restarting)

you say 5-10 minutes in a very easy way but you prolly have an idea of stream monsters reaction to 5-10 mins of stream being offline:

WHERE IS THE STREAM??
THE STREAM DIED
-50 lines of spams-
-viewers dropping-

etc..

so yea this is why the community keep on helping even more when it comes to organizing these tournaments, even though Apex was real good

As a stream monster, quality was top notch, and I plugged in my HDMI to my TV for fullscreen awesomeness during the whole weekend

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
"( cables, wires, moving capture cards setup to another TV, splitters, cutting off the whole stream, restarting)"

Wait why do any of that? Just keep the setups as is, and rotate the new players onto the TV. The worst the streamers will see is the two empty chairs on the main stage, which already had happened countless times.

I do agree the stream itself was amazing. Very professional, very much appreciated Jaxel.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
A quick shoutout to all of the Apex staff and crew for such an amazing job at this. I would especially give props to doom, dm, and the rest of the Brawl crew considering how ridiculously huge this tournament became >.> Except Keitaro, I still want my money back for AllBrawl!
You know I'm kidding, nice job with AllBrawl =P

My only real confusion with how things were handled was this block of time during doubles bracket when I was just sitting with Ussi in front of an empty setup and we saw like 3-4 open setups even though there were definitely still matches to be called. We must have sat there for maybe an hour and not a single match besides stream matches were called... but this may have been because of the confusion of which setups were free and which actually had matches on them. I think more people should have been called out on being inconsiderate and playing friendlies while doom's shouting on the mic not to.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Alex's posts would make a lot more sense if he ran Pound 5.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Whats even more shocking is I for once an not the emo one.
Alex's posts would make a lot more sense if he ran Pound 5.
lol

Sorry i couldn't make it out this year folks, ever in need of the strict MLG enforcer let me know

No idea what the random emo and "this is my last etc." you all know that's not true even in the slightest

Everyone at this event, put together, made the event amazing. Adding in more faces and more talents next year will make it an even more amazing event. I loved the stream and stayed glued to it on my tablet all weekend it was so fun to watch (save for melee grand finals!)

Can't wait to get this level of excitement generated locally in this area!

tekkie

Smash Master
@alex naw it was awesome

@everyone else, i'm still delivering a novel of shoutouts but there's a smashfest today so hold up :awesome:

Top Bottom