• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh haaaai Attillaaaaaaaa, I just happened to stumble throuuuuughhhh.

: P

Be happy to help though, let me know what you need, we should catch up and discuss. n___n <3

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Have any of you ever considered and/or researched the idea that taking in excess amounts of essential nutrients might be bad for you?
Excess anything can be bad for you. (It's the first tenant of toxicology.) I dunno if it's common knowledge though.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
So after 3 or 4 weeks of weight lifting and protein shakes it's clear that I've bulked up a bit when I take my top off.

Well I went and got on our scales and apparently I've lost weight, wtf?! We need new scales.

:phone:
This is my progress so far.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i'm running more, still putting on (good) weight. paying more attention to macros and SLEEP is amazing.

makes a huge difference.

i'm heavier now (and leaner) than before i had appendicitis two months ago (i.e. put on more than the 4 kgs i lost, and dropped 1.8% bf).

life is good.

Oh haaaai Attillaaaaaaaa, I just happened to stumble throuuuuughhhh.

: P

Be happy to help though, let me know what you need, we should catch up and discuss. n___n <3
baaaawww. i squish you.

i'm too busy for anything right now; this would be a uni holidays project. but we should catch up soon anyway :D

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
i'm running more, still putting on (good) weight. paying more attention to macros and SLEEP is amazing.

makes a huge difference.

i'm heavier now (and leaner) than before i had appendicitis two months ago (i.e. put on more than the 4 kgs i lost, and dropped 1.8% bf).

life is good.

baaaawww. i squish you.

i'm too busy for anything right now; this would be a uni holidays project. but we should catch up soon anyway :D
everything in this post is amazing & inspirational

what's a macros?

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
I look forward to this.

Also, I have no access to a gym, no weights, and gym equipment.
What I do have is a mini trampoline, DDR, and the ability to do push ups and sit ups.
Is this good enough to get into shape and lose fat?
I am looking to just gain muscle and lose the fat.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'm back to school and getting back into the groove. It's gonna take me a week to figure out my schedule and adjust, but so far I'm already on my creatine and protein, and my minifridge is stocked with tasty and healthy munchies!

GUN GET SWOLL

I look forward to this.

What I do have is a mini trampoline, DDR, and the ability to do push ups and sit ups.
All it takes is motivation to slim down. Gaining significant muscle requires weights though.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
I look forward to this.

My workout used to be solely DDR before I joined a gym (waay back in High school...), but I lost quite a bit of weight with it and it remains as my fun back up when I'm too lazy to go for a run or go to the gym. So for losing fat, it's awesome for cardio, providing you're playing hard enough and getting a bit puffed out. It's a fun way to get motivated at least. n__n

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
My apartment complex has free gyms and a paid Athletic Center. Since I was pretty erratic in my working out, I just used the free one (mostly treamill, elliptical, and some weights). Monday, when I went, after being sick for a week, there were two kids just playing on the weights (under 13), a woman on the elliptical and a guy in line. I bought a membership to the Athletic Club.

I think doing this has really helped me get focused on working out daily. Right now, I am trying to build my stamina back up. I did 25 minutes on an elliptical yesterday, and I am only slightly sore. Since I've been sick or in hospitals for the last year, basically, I really have lost a lot of stamina.

My goal is to have enough so on Friday, I can do 25 minutes of elliptical, followed by a steam bath, then swim for a bit.

I really like how I feel, and I hope I can keep this trend going.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
My apartment complex has free gyms and a paid Athletic Center. Since I was pretty erratic in my working out, I just used the free one (mostly treamill, elliptical, and some weights). Monday, when I went, after being sick for a week, there were two kids just playing on the weights (under 13), a woman on the elliptical and a guy in line. I bought a membership to the Athletic Club.

I think doing this has really helped me get focused on working out daily. Right now, I am trying to build my stamina back up. I did 25 minutes on an elliptical yesterday, and I am only slightly sore. Since I've been sick or in hospitals for the last year, basically, I really have lost a lot of stamina.

My goal is to have enough so on Friday, I can do 25 minutes of elliptical, followed by a steam bath, then swim for a bit.

I really like how I feel, and I hope I can keep this trend going.
Very nice! Just getting started is the hardest step for most people.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Ever since my cold during Ramadan, I felt like I've been barely eating anything. I think it even shows cause I felt like I am barely carrying much muscle and as much weight on me. Once this ends on Monday, I'm getting back into the groove as well.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Today was good.
So, I had a generally really good day. So when I was driving home I decided I might go work out at these free gym thing where I live. I come home and the electricity is out. So I'm thinking okay, now I have nothing better to do, might as well. So I go there and like, the doors are locked. /: So I couldn't get in. Then my mom calls and says the electricity is back on. So, I head home deciding that I'd just work out some other time. But then, spontaneously, I said **** that and decided to go over to this abandoned school across from me and decided to run on the track. I ran about 3 miles before getting exhausted.

But yes, my conscious decision to not go straight home to the internet and whatnot and actively decide to do something alternate with what I had available instead of just going home made me feel proud of myself, haha. I'll try to get in that gym thing tomorrow. :mad:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So, on campus today, I got a free bottle of muscle milk, chocolate flavor. Never have tried it, but I'll be sure to use it (since I got it fo free) after a workout or something.

Just five more days....

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Those things are delicious. I'm always on the look out for the MM Lady. Significantly better than that Redbull crap they keep unloading on us.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, that's why I never bother buying to go bottles. Stuff is expensive, and if I'm gonna spend around 5 bucks for one, might as well go for something like Syntha-6.

In any case, I heard Muscle Milk has a lot of metals in their product (which is a bad thing).

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
So I did this 8 minute ab workout thing I read about and my god I almost died. Those crunches were much harder than weighted sit ups for some reason. I think it was because I did so much different ones in a short space of time.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Yesterday, I added in 4 minutes on the rowing machine, because I never used one, and yeah, I'm making that part of my work out. Today, my goal is this:

- 10 minutes on the rowing machine
- 20 minutes on the elliptical (maybe 25)
- Steambath
- 30 minutes in the pool

Question: Since I am doing mostly cardio, how important is it to take days off? I was planning on repeating this regimen tomorrow as well, and take off Sunday, but I feel a lot of soreness in my foot and leg, so I don't want to mess anything up.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Yesterday, I added in 4 minutes on the rowing machine, because I never used one, and yeah, I'm making that part of my work out. Today, my goal is this:

- 10 minutes on the rowing machine
- 20 minutes on the elliptical (maybe 25)
- Steambath
- 30 minutes in the pool

Question: Since I am doing mostly cardio, how important is it to take days off? I was planning on repeating this regimen tomorrow as well, and take off Sunday, but I feel a lot of soreness in my foot and leg, so I don't want to mess anything up.
I do almost the exact same thing for cardio. :)
If you stretch a lot before and after you shouldn't need to take a day off. Taking days off is more important is you're wanting to focus on muscle development. But if you are feeling too sore you could consider cutting out the rowing and elliptical one day and just do swimming.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Drink wont affect me badly will it? I did my chest workout yesterday and I feel a bit tender, but I have a double birthday party to go to tonight, it's 2 of my best friends, but I'm a bit paranoid that drink'll do something to muscle development.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I do almost the exact same thing for cardio. :)
If you stretch a lot before and after you shouldn't need to take a day off. Taking days off is more important is you're wanting to focus on muscle development. But if you are feeling too sore you could consider cutting out the rowing and elliptical one day and just do swimming.
I agree with Taku. It's not as important to take rest days for cardio. If your legs are sore, then you could take a day off if you really want to. You're adding muscle to your legs regardless - just more of those white fibers for sustained activity.

Drink wont affect me badly will it? I did my chest workout yesterday and I feel a bit tender, but I have a double birthday party to go to tonight, it's 2 of my best friends, but I'm a bit paranoid that drink'll do something to muscle development.

You can drink. As long as you aren't drinking a lot everyday it should be fine. I'd say drinking will affect your liver more than your muscle development. Just stay hydrated and rest up afterwards.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Welp goodbye gains from yesterday. I'm assuming you'll just disappear through magic or something.

Don't go counting out your gains yet. Sure alcohol hinders protein synth but all your gains aren't gonna disappear. Your muscles rebuilds over time so you'll still get stronger as long as you aren't drinking too often. You'll probably just have a slightly longer recovery period and maybe less efficient muscle rebuild this one time. I don't know how often you drink, but if you crazy for one night, I wouldn't worry about it. Long term, there probably won't be a difference.

And sometimes you need to enjoy too :) Junk food and spirits.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
At worst you'll see a temporary 20% reduction in muscle protein concentration, and you have to drink a god awful amount for a long period of time to see that happen. If you're not an alcoholic you shouldn't worry about it. Just remember, everything in moderation and you'll be fine.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
so um I have a few questions I hope you guys don't mind answering.. I've been lifting for a few weeks now but I just want to lose weight. Is it true that lifting weights can help raise your metabolism and thus help you lose weight? also, what's the quickest way to losing weight besides a good diet? should I focus more on cardio than on lifting weights?

Top Bottom