• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I went the extra mile on my triceps the other day. The soreness lasted for two days. I haven't felt anything like that for a long time.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
What exactly did you do? I can never really blast my triceps anymore. I do extensions, skullcrushers, dips, close grip bench, the whole 9 yards. They get really tiring to the point where I can't do them anymore but I never really feel like I worked them out proper.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
So the gym I go to is closed for ~6 weeks for renovation. My college's gym, which mooches off another college, is closed till the fall. I haven't lifted in 3 days and I feel like I'm shrinking already :/ Well, there's an alt gym that I think I'll try.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
No but if I did I'd use certain things which could damage your kidneys and shrink your testicles because I'm an ***hole.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I've heard steroids aren't as harmful and permanent as they're popularized to be. Still super scary though.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
hello all I'm new to this gym but not new to working out :)

I recently started doing dumbbell workouts at home and it's been pretty fantastic.
I just have one question though: when will the soreness go away? :(

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
So does anyone here use any supplements?
Whey protein, vitamins, and a product containing a mixture of NO and creatine.

I saw a guy a GNC who is on steroids. He bought needles from my brother who is a pharmacist. Hahaha, he said drug abusers buy needles, but this guy had very specific details on the needle size and syringe volume. Apparently he's training for shows.

@Connor
Welcome! For me, the soreness begins 2 days after the workout and lasts for about a day or two. If you just started working out a new muscle group then it might be sore for longer. I started doing legs this year and my last session had me sore for 3 days, with soreness onset during the course of the whole exercise hahaha. I would think soreness can vary between person to person also.

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
tyrosine, zinc, multivitamin, vitamin C, magnesium, calcium, vitamin D, D-aspartic acid, fish oil, etc... are these even supplements?
I dont take protein powder though. I'd rather just eat a bunch of meat.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
tyrosine, zinc, multivitamin, vitamin C, magnesium, calcium, vitamin D, D-aspartic acid, fish oil, etc... are these even supplements?
I would consider them supplements - dietary supplements. If a person were taking new medication, they would need to tell their physician that they are taking these supplements, as they do affect our health. They might not be extremely prevalent to weight lifting or body building, but I would still consider them supplements.

As for eating a bunch of meat, that can work just as well.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
hello all I'm new to this gym but not new to working out :)

I recently started doing dumbbell workouts at home and it's been pretty fantastic.
I just have one question though: when will the soreness go away? :(
Soreness is usually a good sign for beginners. However, try to stay on schedule. So if you're doing three times a week...be sure to get your workout in the day after despite how sore you are.

Eventually, your body will get used to it.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I've heard steroids aren't as harmful and permanent as they're popularized to be. Still super scary though.
They aren't if used in a controlled fashion but most people get addicted to the effects and start overdoing it. Also, they find it hard to come off and train without them.

But hey like Omis said, it's not like testicle size is really important anyway LOL

Although most places steroids are illegal without prescription so you shouldn't take them naughty!

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
@Connor
Welcome! For me, the soreness begins 2 days after the workout and lasts for about a day or two. If you just started working out a new muscle group then it might be sore for longer. I started doing legs this year and my last session had me sore for 3 days, with soreness onset during the course of the whole exercise hahaha. I would think soreness can vary between person to person also.
thanks! yeah I figured the soreness would depend on me. I barely started lifting weights like 2 days ago so it makes sense for my arms to be dying right now.

Soreness is usually a good sign for beginners. However, try to stay on schedule. So if you're doing three times a week...be sure to get your workout in the day after despite how sore you are.

Eventually, your body will get used to it.
wow yeah I'll be sure to keep a consistent routine. I had to take a break today because my arms made me want to get them amputated. thanks for the advice! I can't wait to see some results :)

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
Don't take a break if your body is sore. Working out the sore areas actually helps more since it gets blood flowing to that part.

If you are consistant in your routine you won't feel sore. When I first started squatting my legs were sore as ****, but as I progressed and put on weight I never felt soreness for 6 months until I didn't squat for a week.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
They're considered supplements if you get them from a non-food source like a vitamin pill. Ideally, you should be consuming these things anyway and supplementary products (like multivitamins and protein powders) can make up for anything your diet is lacking. Just make sure you actually need the supplement. Anywho. . .
/endlecture

Omis

my friends were skinny
Ball shrinkers are definitely not that bad for. You just have to be smart in the type and frequency of use. Some people say its "immoral" but those people typically have no body to speak of. No reason not to start a cycle.

daballa100

Smash Cadet
I'm not going to get in an argument, I am pro steroids if you are very well educated, or a person who is helping you dose is very well educated in what each steroid used can do specifically, and if the rules of competition, if there is a competition do not restrict usage of such PEDs. I will make it clear I have never taken any anabolic steroids, although I've been on some stimulants, like caffeine, and 1,3 dimethylamylamine(a WADA banned stimulant found in a lot of preworkout supps). I know a few guys who have taken steroids for bodybuilding, athletics, and for just muscle, and none of them ever suffered any real residual damage.

Anabolic Steroids are not all the same, they all have different effects on the body and mind. Some will make you sleepy, some will give you great muscular effects but make you tired, some will not aromatize, so estrogen can't be produced to keep up collagen synthesis in joints.

That said, I will stand by what I said in the beginning. If anybody here is planning on taking steroids, and you don't know what the steroid you're taking does, don't do it.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I plan on writing a blog about the mindset of lifting and exercising as a lifestyle. Hopefully when I make it, it can get linked in the OP for anyone who wants to read up on what goes on in the mind of someone who lifts consistently and seriously.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Went to the gym yesterday with my friend and he took me through his chest/shoulder/tricep workout.

Then we chilled in the jacuzzi and steam room for a bit.

I am pretty sore today I gotta say.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Trusted my back and squatted for essentially the first time since being run over by a van almost one year ago.

I did 3 sets of 8x115 and my legs feel like they're going to EXPLODE looooool. I had to limp down the stairs. I missed this feeling!

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Seems like everybody is getting back into the groove. Good **** guys.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm trying to figure out how I'm gonna stay somewhat in shape once Ramadan starts. Fasting from sun up to sun down, starting in August, and going until the end of August .-.

Indigo 3G? I thought everyone was hopping onto the 4G bandwagon :troll:

Takumaru

Smash Lord
I'm trying to figure out how I'm gonna stay somewhat in shape once Ramadan starts. Fasting from sun up to sun down, starting in August, and going until the end of August .-.

Indigo 3G? I thought everyone was hopping onto the 4G bandwagon :troll:
If I may offer some suggestions: Try doing just enough exercise to maintain what you have. Reduce the intensity of your work outs OR do several through out the day. Like do a quick routine in the morning, a quick one during the day and a longer one at night when you can eat.

Something I do on long days when I don't have time to eat is do several 30 second sets of different types of push ups, ab exercise, and mountain climbers/jumping rope. You can hit all of the major muscle groups well enough to maintain them without using a lot of energy. It's quite efficient. I also focus more on having good form above all else. If you get up early you can do that and get a good protein shake or meal in before the sun comes up. I don't know if that is considered cheating or not. You can recover any sleep loss with a nap.

One more thing: stretch, stretch, stretch, stretch, stretch. Even if you can't work out, stretch. It does more for you than you think.

Hope I helped.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, thanks for the advice. My goal is to "maintain" what I have. I'm thinking of just doing a bunch of compound lifts (dead lift, squat, etc). I plan to have a gainer type of shake along with my breakfast, eat naturally for dinner, and after prayers (ends at like midnightish) go workout and possibly have another gainer shake afterwards.

And yes, stretching is definitely important.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
I have a question(s) for everyone in this thread:
What do you do to maintain a healthy body image/self image?
What is your major motivation for exercising?

I've struggled with body image issues for my entire life. I'm either too skinny, too chubby, lacking muscle definition, etc. I've been thinking about my motivation for exercising, and it's usually something like "because I was to look like sex on legs in this outfit. . ." But that's never really kept me going and I tend to beat myself up for not looking like David Beckham. So I though asking you guys might help me find a better reason to do what I do. Help?

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I have a question(s) for everyone in this thread:
What do you do to maintain a healthy body image/self image?
What is your major motivation for exercising?

"because I was to look like sex on legs in this outfit. . ."
Sex on legs, haha. What a unique phrase.

What do I do to maintain a healthy body image/self image.
Well to maintain a healthy body image, I would have to say that it's mainly just working out. I've fallen into a routine that works out all muscle groups and the results are evident. This isn't just about lifting weights but eating decently given my body type, genetics, and metabolism. Self image wise, it's being happy with what I currently look like, but not settling for what I have. To clarify, I'm happy with the development of my pecs and lats, but I want them to be a bit bigger. Tracking my progress and seeing the physical change over the years helps a lot with self image. I know I got stronger but I'm still pushing myself. I know some people that THINK they know someone strong, someone who's jacked or the pinnacle of fitness. I think what matters to me the most is how proportionally fit I am. If I know I'm living a healthy life style, then it's good enough for me. There can be a 200 lbs guy putting up 200 lbs and my friends will be in awe, but in the end, it's a 1:1 ratio. Am I fit, am I healthy, and most importantly, is this what I want to do to be happy?

This goes hand in hand with motivation. It's become routine for me. It's a part of my lifestyle and I can't imagine going without it. Since I first started my motivation went from being the strongest kid in elementary school (haha, I was a silly kid), to becoming shredded, but now it's about the lifestyle, pushing myself to the max (as cliche as it sounds), and a little brotherly competition :) Motivation is a fickle thing but if something drives you to continue, some of the lesser aspects will fall into place. I lift only for myself but other people start to take notice when they see results. This adds a positive factor. In the end though, it's ultimately gonna be about you. Some people only lift for sex appeal. Some people wanna get shredded or vascular or bulky. Some just enjoy the general health benefits. If you can find something to get you going everyday, then you've hit your sweet spot. I gotta say, being a punctual habitual person helped me. I dislike breaking routine, so I usually have a schedule of getting ready, going, and finishing all within +/- 15 mins.

I hope you find your sweet spot and your motivation.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I hope you find your sweet spot and your motivation.
Fantastic post!

Also, where is this? It sounded awesome:

I plan on writing a blog about the mindset of lifting and exercising as a lifestyle. Hopefully when I make it, it can get linked in the OP for anyone who wants to read up on what goes on in the mind of someone who lifts consistently and seriously.

Top Bottom