• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Must've been a bad sprain. Usually if my foot gets twisted or caught over someone else's foot in basketball...it hurts then and for a day...but nothing bad.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Using a new workout and trying to be more conscious about what I'm eating/how much in order to decrease my body fat %. Seems to be going well so far.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
went to sleep at 5am this morning, woke up at 10:45, saw an email about a 5k at 11:00, beasted it. actually not really i was gasping for air the whole time and had to lay down for like 10 minutes afterwards. **** asthma. on my way back to my car I was hitting on some 20-21 y/o-lookin girls and it turns out they were teachers in their 30's. fml

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
I asked if they went to my college like 2 blocks away, and they laughed and one said "I graduated over 10 years ago!" it threw off my game. Maybe if I hadn't JUST run a 5k on no sleep I could have kept it going... ugh, johns. next time, guys. next time

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I remember running a 5k in the winter when I was 12 and it sucked.

Ice and snow and just terrible the air was so cold my whole respiratory system went numb.

I only did it because teachers made us lol.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
I asked if they went to my college like 2 blocks away, and they laughed and one said "I graduated over 10 years ago!" it threw off my game. Maybe if I hadn't JUST run a 5k on no sleep I could have kept it going... ugh, johns. next time, guys. next time
Well at least a lil old than a bit too young haha. Can't go to jail for dating chicks in their late 20s or early 30s.

terr13

Smash Journeyman
Looking to go for a cut over the summer, but I still want to progress a bit on my lifts. I plan on adding some sprints and bodyweight stuff throughout the week, anyone have advice on a good workout? I was on madcow's 5x5 before, but I don't know if there's enough break if I want to do stuff on the offdays.

Staz

Smash Lord
lol I didn't even notice this thread until now and I'm always in the pool room,

anyways I do cross country for my high school, last year was my first year and I always take a weight lifting or an advanced conditioning class to keep in shape, but now that the summer is here and I have no school on my hands I am probably gonna run 4-6 miles a day hopefully, that is my goal but it's really hard for me to get in shape when I am not eating healthy (which is most the time lol) but I am gonna cut down, after I am good with cardio stuff I am looking into getting some

SIX PACK ABS

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
This is like, the sixth week of my summer and once again today I am ditching working out to enjoy a delicious root beer float.

Breaking work out habits are so devastating. But no, no, for reals I'm starting for sure on Monday.

For real this time.

Seriously.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I am going to push myself really hard tomorrow.

I have been slacking of a lot recently when it comes to weights and stuff.

I always do well for a month or 2 then find it hard to stay motivated.

If I could afford the gym this wouldn't be an issue.

I just work out for an hour then swim for ages.

eschemat

Smash Journeyman
Anyone got help for running? I run middle distances, 13 years old, 5:54 for 1500m.... trying to lower that down to around 5:15 in the summer.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
I've read that doing sprint/hill work is good for improving pace over longer distances. Can't say from experience though, my 6 minute mile is pretty much at your level and I'm just running casually at the moment.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
So I've lost an additional 17 pounds, bringing the total up to 37 since I started in December. Though I'm pretty sure it's just all stress and not working out since I really don't do that.

Anyone have any advice on how to stay motivated, especially how to trim the fat around abs/upper body?

eschemat

Smash Journeyman
lol pro question: how do i work out if i'm so young and don't have access to a gym? xD i'm super weak in the arms lol

Chill

Red
BRoomer
So I've lost an additional 17 pounds, bringing the total up to 37 since I started in December. Though I'm pretty sure it's just all stress and not working out since I really don't do that.

Anyone have any advice on how to stay motivated, especially how to trim the fat around abs/upper body?
Cardio yo.

Motivation I think is a tricky thing to give advice on because everyone's motivation is different. Some people are motivated to be healthy, some are motivated to fit into that swimsuit while others just want to look good naked.

You've really got to figure out what it is exactly that you want and use that to keep you motivated.
lol pro question: how do i work out if i'm so young and don't have access to a gym? xD i'm super weak in the arms lol
If you're so young that you can't go to a gym on your own ask your parents if you can get a gym membership. I don't know where you live or how old you are but in my city there are family gyms for people of varying ages.

Depending on your age it may not be something that you even need to worry about. If you're 13 or 14 there's no rush to start lifting weights. Let your body finish going through puberty first before you start worrying about your arms. :p

eschemat

Smash Journeyman
OK, sounds good. I just wanted to get fit in my arms so I can work on my kick at the end of my races, and just overall sprinting/running ability. Thanks for the advice!

M.K

Level 55
Hey guys, I'm having a bit of a problem understanding a few concepts about a dietary "risk".

So basically, I've been dieting and exercising this summer in preparation for college coming this fall. I started about a week ago. I've given up every liquid except water, and I think that I'm eating really well. I do NOT go out to dinner anymore, and I'm pretty much addicted to stuff like Lean Cuisine because it really helps me count the calories the easy way.
The problem is, I'm on sort of a weird summer schedule. I usually go to bed sometime between 11 PM and 4 AM (yeah, large gap, but usually it's somewhere around 1 or 2 AM) and I wake up around noon or 1 PM. I'm on my own schedule, basically.

Basically, I wake up, eat a breakfast consisting of a 200-230 calorie ThinkThin Bar (delicious) and a big bottle of Water. After that, I went to the gym and did the following routine:

-30 minutes Elliptical, 7 Crossramp, 8 Resistance (I have a knee injury so that Crossramp is pretty much the threshold between content and pain with my knee)
-I do about 3 weight machines involving my upper body/back/chest/abs. I don't know specifically what they are called, but yeah.
-1 mile on treadmill, 5,0 Uphill Ramp, 3.3 Speed (Fast-ish walk) .

I come home, and I prepared a soup for dinner. The soup is 124 calories per bowl and I had one bowl and about 2-3 pieces of bread.

Okay, so that's 200 + 124 + whatever the bread was = 424+ calories.
I know that this is a big risk when dieting/losing weight. Eating too few calories can do wonders on my metabolism. But, how come my body isn't fighting back? My body isn't telling me I'm hungry, I'm not having hunger pangs, and I'm definitely not craving any sort of food. I'm just basically NOT hungry, and I hate to think that if I tried to up my calories it would work against me.

Any suggestions? Is the hunger somehow related to my odd sleeping schedule? I'm trying to do the best I can by exercising and eating "right", but I'd hate to think that I'm working against myself.

I'm 220 lbs and I'd like to be under 200 come August 20th, when I move into college, if that helps. I'm 5'8 too.

Please help haha.

@Motivation

I'm pretty much motivated to lose weight in order to get laid (or just attention) in college. Sure it's shallow, but it also is helping me stay motivated.
I also signed up for a Swimming class for my required fitness class in college, so then again, I don't wanna look like a beached whale in the class, so there is some more motivation.
Beyond that, intra-workout motivation is sustained by music. I get really into dance/techno/electronic songs so it helps me power through tougher parts of my workout.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
If you need help with motivation, it's best to get stronger willpower. Set the days that you want to workout during the week and when it comes to that day, do it. No excuses. If you do this for a month you'll get into a rhythm that will allow you to stick to that schedule.

The most important thing is to be consistant and not miss a workout, or else that one missed workout will turn into two, then a week, etc and then you'll be back where you started.

"Abs are made in the kitchen". What is your current diet like? Try to avoid having too many carbs.

Do push ups, body squats, pullups/chin ups until you can get access to a gym with free weights. Look up Convict Conditioning for more information.
---
Meta-kirby: It's good that you're only drinking water, but you need to eat more than 500 calories a day. With that little food you're almost starving yourself. Instead of lean cuisine, get food that isn't processed. Buy some chicken, beef, eggs, leafy green vegetables, oatmeal, fruit, fish, basically anything that doesn't come in a box. You'll get more nutrients out of it, and you'll learn how to cook :)

As for exercise, be sure that your workouts are intense. By the end of your cardio, you should be out of breath and your heart should be pumping like mad. As for weight training, ditch the machines. Learn how to use free weights, like barbells and dumbells (that doesn't mean learn how to do bicep curls). Free weight compound exercises such as the squat, deadlift, bench press, and overhead press make you use your stabilizer muscles, something a machine can't target.

---

Ok I have a question for you guys. Today I just joined a powerlifting gym. I'm going to be in the area for two months and only signed up for that time period. It's pretty hardcore - it has all these free weights and places to squat, an MMA section, dumbells that go up to 200, bumper plates and a whole bunch of other stuff to get me stronger.

The thing I'm considering is to get a personal trainer while I am enrolled in the gym.

The pros:

1. These guys know their stuff. They will be help me with reaching my strength goals and improving my technique on my lifts and I can even learn some olympic lifts.

2. I'm going to be getting a lot of sleep during my stay here (a possible 8+ hours a night) and I'm going to be buying my own food, so I'll be able to recover well.

3. I'm probably not going to be able to have the opportunity to join another gym like this until I graduate college.

The cons:

1. It's about $500 for the training sessions.

I can afford this. I figure if I'm serious during my stay I can make it count, and the information I get will last me for the rest of my lifting days.

what do you guys think?

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord

^ hmm tips on motivation would be nice.
Addressing motivation:
Everyone already said it; it depends on yourself. Some people wanna look good for summer, some wanna get girls. For me, it's a part of my lifestyle. Some things I found to help me keep on schedule is recording progress. Find out how much stronger you got since you started or take pictures to see how much weight you loss. If you have a gym buddy, they may or may not help you stay on track. I don't lift with my friends cause hearing them talk about mario or sonic or that hot chick on that treadmill messes with my focus. The right music can help to - preferably something that doesn't put you to sleep haha. Find out what works for you. If you don't have a set time, maybe set a time where you start getting ready and make it a goal to be at the gym at the set time - on the dot. Personally, I always get ready around 5:00 PM +/- 15 minutes.

Someone else said it, push ups, crunches, pull up, and all the other stuff you can do without any equipment. If you're still going through puberty, I wouldn't go crazy on the weights. Bad form can really F-up your spine and joints, especially if you're growing at a rapid rate. There are plenty of various stuff you can do in a house. Regular push ups, diamond push ups, my personal favorite - push ups from the hip (hands right next to your pelvis), crunches, side crunches for obliques, bridges, the thing where you hold your leg an inch off the ground, plyometrics for quads (and hammies?) - ie repeatedly squatting low and jumping as high as you can, declined calf raises on house stairs (stand on the edge of the step and let your heel dip below the ground level before raising to the ball of your foot), etc. If you do find or use a weight set though, go easy on the weights. Too much can be detrimental in the long run. You'll have plenty of time to get jacked :)

Hey guys, I'm having a bit of a problem understanding a few concepts about a dietary "risk".

Basically, I wake up, eat a breakfast consisting of a 200-230 calorie ThinkThin Bar (delicious) and a big bottle of Water. After that, I went to the gym and did the following routine:

Okay, so that's 200 + 124 + whatever the bread was = 424+ calories.
I know that this is a big risk when dieting/losing weight. Eating too few calories can do wonders on my metabolism. But, how come my body isn't fighting back? My body isn't telling me I'm hungry, I'm not having hunger pangs, and I'm definitely not craving any sort of food. I'm just basically NOT hungry, and I hate to think that if I tried to up my calories it would work against me.

Any suggestions? Is the hunger somehow related to my odd sleeping schedule? I'm trying to do the best I can by exercising and eating "right", but I'd hate to think that I'm working against myself.

I'm 220 lbs and I'd like to be under 200 come August 20th, when I move into college, if that helps. I'm 5'8 too.

Please help haha.

@Motivation

I'm pretty much motivated to lose weight in order to get laid (or just attention) in college. Sure it's shallow, but it also is helping me stay motivated.
I also signed up for a Swimming class for my required fitness class in college, so then again, I don't wanna look like a beached whale in the class, so there is some more motivation.
Beyond that, intra-workout motivation is sustained by music. I get really into dance/techno/electronic songs so it helps me power through tougher parts of my workout.
Less than 500 calories? That's almost nothing. I just ate a granola bar that has 130 calories. I can't imagine surviving off about 5 of those a day. From what I understand, you should be getting around 1,000 - 1,500 calories for your basal metabolic activity; however, don't quote me on this figure as this figure comes from general reading around and not a controlled scientific study. Regardless, someone else gave advice about food and it seems like sound advice. I personally think you should eat a bit more, but if you're not hungry then... I guess it's fine? Also, nothing wrong with workin out to get attention from girls :) Physique is definitely a motivational factor.

"Abs are made in the kitchen".

I smile every time I hear this phrase cause it's so true. :) This isn't to discredit workin out abs cause they definitely get stonger, but if you want them to show, diet and losing weight is the key. Love that phrase so much :)!

Ok I have a question for you guys. Today I just joined a powerlifting gym. I'm going to be in the area for two months and only signed up for that time period. It's pretty hardcore - it has all these free weights and places to squat, an MMA section, dumbells that go up to 200, bumper plates and a whole bunch of other stuff to get me stronger.

The thing I'm considering is to get a personal trainer while I am enrolled in the gym.

The pros:

1. These guys know their stuff. They will be help me with reaching my strength goals and improving my technique on my lifts and I can even learn some olympic lifts.

2. I'm going to be getting a lot of sleep during my stay here (a possible 8+ hours a night) and I'm going to be buying my own food, so I'll be able to recover well.

3. I'm probably not going to be able to have the opportunity to join another gym like this until I graduate college.gym

The cons:

1. It's about $500 for the training sessions.

I can afford this. I figure if I'm serious during my stay I can make it count, and the information I get will last me for the rest of my lifting days.

what do you guys think?
I say go for it! A gym with an MMA ring? I'm already jealous. If it's only for 2 months, then sure you can indulge. I'm sure it'll help round out a set schedule for you to continue afterwards, given the next place you exercise has any necessary equipment. Some people might say to just use the internet to look up form and look up different exercises. This can be true, but having someone to watch form in real time, spot you, encourage you, and give general tips and advice can be worth the money. I know I wouldn't be deadlifting if it weren't for my brother and friends who watched my form for the first 5 times I started up.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Hey guys.

I need some advice on a good muscle building workout routine. I have access to a machine and weight set, and am currently looking into buying a bench. I'm about 6'4" and weight 180, so I'm a pretty skinny guy. I don't want to get jacked or anything, I just want a nice muscle tone. Right now I'm just doing varying assortments of workouts, but I realize that a planned out workout routine would probably help me out a bit more. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
Invest in a power rack. you'll be able to do a lot of compound lifts safely inside it, including benching.

Look into a beginner strength training program such as stronglifts or starting strength. Whatever the program may be, it should have you doing sets of 5 reps with squats/deadlifts/bench with progressive loading on each workout. If you are consistant, you'll see results in the first 3 months. Also, eat more :bee:

@Dark yea i think I'm going to go for it. I'm not really interested in the MMA stuff, but if I put in the work and get as much out of it as i can, I think it'll be worth it in the long run.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
@MetaKirby, it was already mentioned but I didn't see anything about lunch in there so it sounds like you're eating about 500 calories a day. Yeah, that's not good. You should be at least in the 1,200 to 1,500 range.

Hunger pains aren't really a reliable way to tell if you should be eating or not because your body reacts differently in certain situations. In the past I've gone entire days without eating before just because I forgot and my stomach never growled so I didn't think about it.

If your body is "hungry" ,and at 500 calories a day it definitely will be, it's going to eat away at your muscle first and store your fat for later. It's ok to eat, over indulgence is the problem. Also, breakfast should be one of the largest meals that you eat so have something else aside from that diet bar.

edit: one more thing, stop eating lean cusines. Eat fresh foods.

eschemat

Smash Journeyman
@Darkshadow

For plyometrics, would just doing some bounding suffice?

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll start working out in my home now!

T.J.

Smash Apprentice
So I'm pretty out of shape. Been my hole life, And I'm sick of it.
I all ways say Ill lose weight but procrastinate like any average fatty.
So I'm gonna crush that habit and start that beginning guide thing.
I know I'll procrastinate that, so I'm stopping that before it happens, and doing it right now, at 1 AM.
Supp

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
So I'm pretty out of shape. Been my hole life, And I'm sick of it.
I all ways say Ill lose weight but procrastinate like any average fatty.
So I'm gonna crush that habit and start that beginning guide thing.
I know I'll procrastinate that, so I'm stopping that before it happens, and doing it right now, at 1 AM.
Supp
Yes! That's the way to go. Don't be like those guys who say "oh I'll do it tomorrow", because like the saying goes, tomorrow never comes =)

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
I love powerlifting/strongman.

Deff aiming for that bodytype. I consider myself in good shape at 180 but I want to continue to pack on muscle and fat. Maintain a fairly healthy diet.

To the fat posters: if u hate running and can't see yourself suffering on a treadmill and changing your diet; try just lifting. Some fat will burn off and some will turn into muscle. You'll still be big but yr body will be stronger and you'll look better. Consider it.

:phone:

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
My worst vice when it comes to trying to pack on some bulk is I don't eat enough/right.

It's weird but my appetite recently has been really bad.

To the point where I can't even eat all my dinner.

I'm usually a food horse too.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
The trick there is getting an early big breakfast. Like before 10 am. Skipping breakfast is the worst possible thing you can do if you are trying to get in the correct ammout of cals.

I just love getting bigger. =] I just have to do it in a healthy way. I don't mind a gut either. It's gonna be mostly muscle. I need to work on my arms and core and legs.

New goal. Lift 5 days a week and swim one day a week. I weigh 180 but I want to weigh 185 by the end of the summer.

:phone:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Got to see those reebok reflex shoes...they really are flexible and bendy. If I was a runner, I would take a serious look at them.

Top Bottom