• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

M.K

Level 55
I've gotta say, when I bought my Reebok ZigTech, the guy was like "omg don't run in them, the sole will wear down and you're gonna feel the zig-zag against your foot!"

But seriously, they are the most comfortable shoe when I'm working out. They're awesome.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I have Nike something or others. lol I bought them for running a few years back and they seem to be holding up just fine.

Also, bulking again. :D

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
If you want to have "Pretty Muscles" then you're going for more show than strength.
Work muscles against weight muscles are what I personally prefer in a man.
Like a man who works construction or something like that, they may be pudgey but they have muscle.

MASAHIROx

Smash Lord
Omg I've already been over this.

I agree that natural muscles look better than 'pumped' muscles. I think the best way to get bigger more natural muscles is by sticking to complex lifts that work multiple muscle groups at once. I like the way strongman/powerlifters/football players look. Sometimes you develop a bit of a gut. I would not call it 'chubby'. Usually your 'gut' is mostly muscle if your maintaing athletic work outs and eating a lot.

Football type lifts: BENCH PRESS, SQUAT, DEADLIFT. I also do snatches, hang cleans, goodmornings, rows, arnolds, flys, skullcrushers, bicep curls, lunges, front squats, step ups, incline bench, dumbbell bench, ect.

I do 6-8 reps heavy weight. Full motion. Fairly slow. Great form.

To achieve 'pretty boy' muscles you need to do highly specific excersizes with high reps and low weight.

I go for strength. Not looks lol. And I believe most people are there for strength... Those pretty boys are weak.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
I didn't ask what to do in order to gain muscle. I was asking how someone could actually tell the difference between gaining muscles from the gym and gaining them from physical labor.

NNID
Tofer_Magicant
Usually you can tell from their body, the slender waist going up in a "V" is usually the frame men get when they work out a lot in the gym. Because that's what they're training their body to look like.

A man who is not aiming their body to look a certain way in particular usually has a straight body without the "V" look. And they're usually pudgier looking.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Eh, not all people with the V-taper or people who are shredded are in it just for the looks. Without a doubt, a person who's more "naturally strong," ie doesn't go to the gym but does regular physical labor, tend to be not super cut and will be thick and bulky. Those people in bodybuilding contests are without a doubt strong; yet even though you can see their vasculature and every muscle fiber, they won't be able to out-lift a person who trains for strongman competition.

Whether someone lifts to get shredded or to get that bulky strength doesn't matter me - the attitude they have is what interests me most.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think why football and construction workers have said "pudge" around some of their body parts is mainly due to diet. If you look at the more fit athletes like say...Terrell Owens, the guy is a gym rat, but is super serious about his diet as well. Big reason why he is in the shape he is. Now go to some offensive linemen who eats anything he sees...well yeah lol.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
Felt like i should start posting here. I weigh 127.6 lbs and measure 5.74 ft. I do some gym stuff 3 times/week and bike to work/school 5 days a week but i can't really decide whether to gain more bulk or work with what i have. I'd appreciate suggestions/advice on what to do :bee:

(My body. Not much :s)
[COLLAPSE="Hidden Message"]
[/COLLAPSE]

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Felt like i should start posting here. I weigh 127.6 lbs and measure 5.74 ft. I do some gym stuff 3 times/week and bike to work/school 5 days a week but i can't really decide whether to gain more bulk or work with what i have. I'd appreciate suggestions/advice on what to do :bee:

(My body. Not much :s)
[COLLAPSE="Hidden Message"]
[/COLLAPSE]
You are very thin. You should eat a bunch of food and lift a bunch of weights.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
We're the same height, and I remember being 130 lbs. I'm much happier being at 150 - took about a year to gain those 20 lbs, but they fill you out so much. If it's the first time you've gained weight, it'll be pretty drastic. I suggest bulking.

You should eat a bunch of food and lift a bunch of weights.
Always the best advice.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Anyone got a suggestion for a good weight gainer? I'm talking about protein products like Cytogainer and Serious Mass. Priorities pretty much just lie in what tastes the best and price.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I get pretty gassy if I intake too much dairy. By too much, I mean two glasses of milk in one sitting.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Just finished watching this documentary of this average joe guy going for professional level body builder gold. Bargain basement production, but I was just fascinated watching the guy. He's dorky and pudgy in the beginning, but by the end you see a huge difference in his disposition and confidence. It's also pretty insightful on how a trek like that can warp you mentally, he's crying at one point.

It doesn't apply to people not going for less than 10% body fat, and under a time limit, but it's interesting to see where that road leads. Takes a **** ton of work.

http://vidreel.com/video/NTk0MDU0/

Also, rofllllll: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYHAR8Xzsyo

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Just finished watching this documentary of this average joe guy going for professional level body builder gold. Bargain basement production, but I was just fascinated watching the guy. He's dorky and pudgy in the beginning, but by the end you see a huge difference in his disposition and confidence. It's also pretty insightful on how a trek like that can warp you mentally, he's crying at one point.

It doesn't apply to people not going for less than 10% body fat, and under a time limit, but it's interesting to see where that road leads. Takes a **** ton of work.

That's a lot of fish and rice cakes in a day haha. I like fresh fish but I don't think I could eat that much fish and ricecakes in a day even if I wanted to. I'll watch the whole video later -CoT5 livestream yea!

Chill

Red
BRoomer

I've seen that second video before. 'Hmm, I wonder what comes after fish and a rice cake? Oh, yeah! Fish and a rice cake!'

I like that he says "me fish". :p

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I have totally lost my abs, but I'm ok with this as long as I keep making gains in the other important areas.

The abs can be gotten back easily.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I love it when kids on roids in my school can bench 300 pounds...and only weigh 160. Lol

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So hard to argue with my mom when she refuses to listen -_-. She thinks being 170 is "too much" for my age, and that I'm fine staying around 160. She thinks eating 3000 calories is too much.

Basically, I'm having to sneak food around her -.-

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm about 5'11. So trying to get up to 170 or 175 isn't bad at all. I mean, yes there are different kinds of builds, but being a basketball player, I do focus on staying lean more than anything else.

Desean Jackson is 175

But then you look at a guy like JJ Barea who is 5'10 as well.

Mom thinks JJ Barea is too much LOL

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
so my friend who was in the military came back on leave and visited me. we worked out for about a week since i decided i wanted to lose some weight.

so far, after 2 weeks of his workout program, ive lost 10 lbs. i want to lose at least 30 by august 27th. u guys think i can do it??

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
so my friend who was in the military came back on leave and visited me. we worked out for about a week since i decided i wanted to lose some weight.

so far, after 2 weeks of his workout program, ive lost 10 lbs. i want to lose at least 30 by august 27th. u guys think i can do it??
It's possible but you will feel like **** -- a lot of that first 10 pounds was probably water, and it gets harder from here on out. It's good to have goals but try to stretch them out more gradually so you don't get discouraged or cheat to get the weight off. It took longer than ~50 days to gain all that weight, don't expect it to come off so fast!

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
It's possible but you will feel like **** -- a lot of that first 10 pounds was probably water, and it gets harder from here on out. It's good to have goals but try to stretch them out more gradually so you don't get discouraged or cheat to get the weight off. It took longer than ~50 days to gain all that weight, don't expect it to come off so fast!
ya i know it's gonna get tougher fast. it's remarkable how much easier things r getting for me now. i have to constantly up the workout to... workout. lol

Top Bottom