• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ~New~ SWF GYM! Newbies and New Years Resolution Peeps Wanted!

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Since last night I've started working out. I'm going to take a picture of me right now, and then take another one in about a month and post them both up then.

The only equipment I have is some 10lb dumbbells, and 2 others that weigh less but I never checked them. I'm not looking to get super built, I'm looking to have a nice chest and mid section in general, including arms.

I'm not striving to get better and better, just to get good and then basically keep it that way. I did 50 push ups last night, and 50 stomach crunches, and I've ate a whole load of protein rich foods (that aren't nuts or fish, don't like nuts and not too keen on fish) and I'm about to go and buy a smoothie and maybe a protein shake.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Long time no post!

I'm just coming back after five weeks of no lifting or sprinting... My appendix burst.

I'm down five kgs, but still relatively strong. No confidence though.

:phone:

Attila_

BRoomer
i was at work, and then half an hour later i was at hospital.

quite literally.

apparently it happens randomly; something gets stuck in your appendix, and causes an infection.

it burst because the hospital thought it would be fine to wait until the next day until they operated... it wasn't.

but yeah, pretty painful, but felt much better as soon as i woke up from surgery.

doesnt look like ill be running that fast this year though.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
How did I not know of this room's existence??!! o_____O;

Sign me up! lol

I'm 5'9ish and currently 215 lbs.

My goals are to weigh approximately 180 lbs or simply lose the freakin gut lol
To Dead-lift 405 lbs and Bench 315

I prefer dead-lifts to heavy squats I just don't like the feeling on my traps.

I'm kind of one of those people who's all gungho for a couple weeks or months and then burns out for a while then comes back really hard. I really want to get consistent with this and make a life style change rather than just a quick thing that I do. Just some days it's really hard to get the ambition for some reason.

I've been working out for a couple years now off and on. I can currently bench roughly 200lbs (I haven't had a spotter/work out partner lately so not sure on that one) And my dead-lifts are in or below the mid 300 range.

I'm a big fan of Kettlebells and I even bought a couple of them. My only other equipment I own is an 100lb heavy bag and gloves.

Me right now. Yes I know I'm furry. <.<
If I ever get a camera better than the one on my laptop I'll upload a better one.

That's horrible Shmot I hope you fully recover man. Go easy into it and best of luck!

Work schedule and different things have held me back lately but tomorrow I plan to get back on track.

My workouts are..probably not the norm and if anyone has some suggestions I'd appreciate them.

Home Workout:
[k-bell =kettlebell]
Warm up 1:
55lb Two and single handed k-bell swings
2 sets of 15 each each.

35lb One handed K-bell snatch
2 sets of 10 each

Warm up 2.
2 approx. 4 minute rounds on heavy bag. (Usually a song per round lol)

Home workout:
Windmills 3 sets of 6 per arm with 55 lb k-bell in overhead arm and 35 in hanging arm.

Close grip pushups: 3 sets of 8

Incline Stabilizer pushups: 3 sets of 6 each side. Not sure on the name on this but what I do place one hand on a k-bell and the other on the floor and elevate my feet so that I'm partially inverted. Having one hand on the ball-like k-bell works the stability muscles in the chest. My upper chest is lacking so I'm doing extra to catch it up basically and it's good just overall anyway.

Halos 2-3 sets of 6 each way.

Planks 2 sets with a 1 minutes rest between.

And sometimes bicep curls with the 35lb k-bell or negatives with the 55lb k-bell.

I end workouts at home with straight leg sit ups using K-bell as resistence or crunches.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
How did I not know of this room's existence??!! o_____O;

Sign me up! lol

I'm 5'9ish and currently 215 lbs.

My goals are to weigh approximately 180 lbs or simply lose the freakin gut lol
To Dead-lift 405 lbs and Bench 315

I prefer dead-lifts to heavy squats I just don't like the feeling on my traps.

I'm kind of one of those people who's all gungho for a couple weeks or months and then burns out for a while then comes back really hard. I really want to get consistent with this and make a life style change rather than just a quick thing that I do. Just some days it's really hard to get the ambition for some reason.

I've been working out for a couple years now off and on. I can currently bench roughly 200lbs (I haven't had a spotter/work out partner lately so not sure on that one) And my dead-lifts are in or below the mid 300 range.

I'm a big fan of Kettlebells and I even bought a couple of them. My only other equipment I own is an 100lb heavy bag and gloves.

Me right now. Yes I know I'm furry. <.<
If I ever get a camera better than the one on my laptop I'll upload a better one.

That's horrible Shmot I hope you fully recover man. Go easy into it and best of luck!

Work schedule and different things have held me back lately but tomorrow I plan to get back on track.

My workouts are..probably not the norm and if anyone has some suggestions I'd appreciate them.

Home Workout:
[k-bell =kettlebell]
Warm up 1:
55lb Two and single handed k-bell swings
2 sets of 15 each each.

35lb One handed K-bell snatch
2 sets of 10 each

Warm up 2.
2 approx. 4 minute rounds on heavy bag. (Usually a song per round lol)

Home workout:
Windmills 3 sets of 6 per arm with 55 lb k-bell in overhead arm and 35 in hanging arm.

Close grip pushups: 3 sets of 8

Incline Stabilizer pushups: 3 sets of 6 each side. Not sure on the name on this but what I do place one hand on a k-bell and the other on the floor and elevate my feet so that I'm partially inverted. Having one hand on the ball-like k-bell works the stability muscles in the chest. My upper chest is lacking so I'm doing extra to catch it up basically and it's good just overall anyway.

Halos 2-3 sets of 6 each way.

Planks 2 sets with a 1 minutes rest between.

And sometimes bicep curls with the 35lb k-bell or negatives with the 55lb k-bell.

I end workouts at home with straight leg sit ups using K-bell as resistence or crunches.
Nice man. I have a friend around the same stats as you, about 6 feet and around 200 lbs. He's a lot weaker than you though haha. It's funny. People ask him for tips at the gym but he rarely goes and even I can out lift him :p

Good stuff though. K-bells are really good for the core.
I think that's what the marine core was named after. /Michael Scott from The Office even though he was talking about something called ab core / run on sentence

Long time no post!

I'm just coming back after five weeks of no lifting or sprinting... My appendix burst.

I'm down five kgs, but still relatively strong. No confidence though.

:phone:
Ahh that sucks. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Does it hurt to run?

So yeah I bought a dumbbell sit up bench today. This should help me a lot.
Having your own equipment is always nice. Always there at your convenience.

Ugh...two day road trip...nothing but fast food. I feel disgusting.
At least you can always work it off. Where'd you road trip to?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well it wasn't much of a road trip I suppose...I live in Dallas, and we went down to Austin to move out my furniture from my apartment before the lease runs out. After that, we went to San Antonio and stayed in the hotel while exploring downtown. Then we headed back the next day.

And yeah, I'm hitting the gym tomorrow. Right now I just feel like crap. Had pizza for dinner to cap it all off -_-

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
Well at least it wasn't like you weren't doing anything all day xD
Moving furniture isn't bad exercise in and of itself.

I will NEVER give up pizza. EVER.

Edit: What does everyone do to get themselves woken up for the day? Lately I have more energy when I go to sleep then when I wake up.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yesterday was my first day of fasting and first day of working out.

Woke up at 4:30 to eat. Got about 650 calories in...can't really eat that much when I'm forced to wake up and eat right away x.x

Didn't eat again until 8:30. Most likely had around 1000 calories.

After prayers, went to the gym (12:30 am) and then had a gainer shake (600 calories).

Overall, only about 2200 =/

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I start my day with a cup of tea and usually some kind of cereal or toast.

Scrambled eggs on toast is a pretty amazing breakfast.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
i have some pretty big health/fitness issues with living in the provincial philippines. i've been on the road or sea 24/7 for the past week, eating the same gawddamn unhealthy goop everyday. and no gyms or tracks to hit either.

does anyone know what can be done to maximize muscle growth and exercises where you no access to gyms or protein solid foods? i be ti've lost a lot of the 'good' weight too. guessing 150-155 now

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
i have some pretty big health/fitness issues with living in the provincial philippines. i've been on the road or sea 24/7 for the past week, eating the same gawddamn unhealthy goop everyday. and no gyms or tracks to hit either.

does anyone know what can be done to maximize muscle growth and exercises where you no access to gyms or protein solid foods? i be ti've lost a lot of the 'good' weight too. guessing 150-155 now
If you're on the road and don't have access to equipment, the best thing to do it just exercises don't require weight. Things like push ups can work out your bi's, chest, back, lat to a degree, and tri's to a degree. These compound exercises will help keep a level of fitness to your body. If you find regular pushups are getting too easy, then change up your hand position such as diamond push ups or my personal favorite, push ups from the hip.

Crunches, V-ups, and isometric exercises can be used for abs. If crunches get too easy, hold something above/behind your head for added weight and resistance. You can grab a heavy book or some metal thing above your head so that your arms are straight - keep them above your head. The only thing moving would be you waist as your abs pull your rigid body up and down.

For legs you can try plyometrics which will get the heart rate going too. A simple jump rope can help too. Declined calf raises are pretty easy to do too. Just find some stairs, let the ball of your toes on the steps, and do calf raises allowing your heel to dip below horizontal level of the steps.

If you can find a ledge or some overhanging thing, you can do pullups. This is easy as anything that you can grip and hang off of allows you to do pullups.

While you don't that added umph resistance as with weighted training, you'll still get stronger. As the exercises get easier and easier, you'll have to increase repetitions or find some innovative way to add weight using conventional household items. Something cool I saw was people using ropes or karate belts as makeshift weight lifting belts. They would tie the belt in such a fashion that the belt would hang off the waist and you can still tie the ends of the belt to a weight. This allowed for weighted pull ups.

Anyway, good luck with your training. Don't feel discouraged cause you can still get really strong and really fit using non-weighted exercises. I've seen some pretty damn cut black friends who said they only did push ups haha.

terr13

Smash Journeyman
If you don't have access to the gym, I've heard of convict conditioning for bodyweight exercises. With minimal equipment and a lot of time, you could do something like p90x or Insanity, although those aren't really targeted toward muscle growth.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
If you're on the road and don't have access to equipment, the best thing to do it just exercises don't require weight. Things like push ups can work out your bi's, chest, back, lat to a degree, and tri's to a degree. These compound exercises will help keep a level of fitness to your body. If you find regular pushups are getting too easy, then change up your hand position such as diamond push ups or my personal favorite, push ups from the hip.

Crunches, V-ups, and isometric exercises can be used for abs. If crunches get too easy, hold something above/behind your head for added weight and resistance. You can grab a heavy book or some metal thing above your head so that your arms are straight - keep them above your head. The only thing moving would be you waist as your abs pull your rigid body up and down.

For legs you can try plyometrics which will get the heart rate going too. A simple jump rope can help too. Declined calf raises are pretty easy to do too. Just find some stairs, let the ball of your toes on the steps, and do calf raises allowing your heel to dip below horizontal level of the steps.

If you can find a ledge or some overhanging thing, you can do pullups. This is easy as anything that you can grip and hang off of allows you to do pullups.

While you don't that added umph resistance as with weighted training, you'll still get stronger. As the exercises get easier and easier, you'll have to increase repetitions or find some innovative way to add weight using conventional household items. Something cool I saw was people using ropes or karate belts as makeshift weight lifting belts. They would tie the belt in such a fashion that the belt would hang off the waist and you can still tie the ends of the belt to a weight. This allowed for weighted pull ups.

Anyway, good luck with your training. Don't feel discouraged cause you can still get really strong and really fit using non-weighted exercises. I've seen some pretty damn cut black friends who said they only did push ups haha.
tanks bro. bookmarked. too bad asians can't get cut on push ups alone though, aye? :9

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Already seeing an improvement. Need to buy better weights though, abs seem easy to get but my pecs seem to be more of a challenge no matter how much dumbbell flys I seem to be doing.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Getting any part of your body bigger takes time.

Especially if you don't have access to a gym.

I know this from experience :(

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I upped my weights dramatically tonight. Oddly my chest has gotten bigger but I haven't really felt that burn that I did when I did all those push ups about 2 weeks ago.

Maybe it's all the protein I've been having?

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Shakes. I have upped the protein in my normal diet but apart from that I've stuck to my usual one. It's not that unhealthy and I keep the weight off because I walk about 2 dozen miles a week.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
chill: squeee!
sent: aye. but luckily, i got access to a real gym yesterday, first time in a while, lol. fitness first is my saviour

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
I upped my weights dramatically tonight. Oddly my chest has gotten bigger but I haven't really felt that burn that I did when I did all those push ups about 2 weeks ago.

Maybe it's all the protein I've been having?
Have you been doing the same amount of reps with your pushups? Or same weight and reps with what ever exercise? If so, your body adapts to it so you won't feel as much "burn" as you did when you first started.

That's why soreness isn't a good indicator of a successful workout. Soreness just means your body is not accustomed to doing something.

Attila_

BRoomer
i'm thinking of making a youtube channel, demonstrating how to do certain exercises, and how to progress them.

first video would probably be a step by step guide to muscle ups.

any suggestions for a good (and suitable) channel? can't seem to think of one.

ideas please :)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
what do you mean by a channel? is it not simply a matter of uploading your video on youtube and putting it under a 'fitness/health' category?

also, ask wubing for ideas on video production since she seems to have a fair bunch of friends that shoot + she wants to hang out with you in any case <3

Attila_

BRoomer
yeah i mean channel name/username.

figure i should do things pro from the beginning.

and yes, i'm sure ash would love to help. wonder if she's going to stumble on in here...

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Have any of you ever considered and/or researched the idea that taking in excess amounts of essential nutrients might be bad for you?

Most stories I hear from people who used to use a lot of supplements suggest that if you stopped taking them, you would see a negligible decrease in performance and muscle mass.

I would recommend caution when getting nutrients from sources other than food, because it can put your body under a lot of unneeded stress if it has to filter out large amounts of unused amino acids, vitamins, and minerals.

Oh and...buff guys are quite often gross looking. 20+ pounds of excess muscle just looks weird and unnatural on most people.
Well toned guys usually look way better ;)

Top Bottom