• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Match-Up Chart v2

otg

Smash Master
Icy atleast I enter things and I'm known for sucking. Wtf have you ever done besides make baseless claims based on youtube videos and then create threads that make you self-important?

As for me failing as a Doc main and a smasher, I've taken games off players you **** ride all the time in pools/tourney/mm's/friendlies with this horrible ****ing stubby italian. What was the last tourney you've gone to and done well? When was the last time you made $ at a tourney or placed first in any event?

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Icy atleast I enter things and I'm known for sucking. Wtf have you ever done besides make baseless claims based on youtube videos and then create threads that make you self-important?

As for me failing as a Doc main and a smasher, I've taken games off players you **** ride all the time in pools/tourney/mm's/friendlies with this horrible ****ing stubby italian. What was the last tourney you've gone to and done well? When was the last time you made $ at a tourney or placed first in any event?
Pretty much nothing, and I just repeat what others have said and make stuff everyone else is too lazy to do. Dashdancedan was the guy that went to Cambodia and said all about them. I PM'd one guy from Cambodia about them and said that they're pretty good, but aren't like the American Young Links. Regardless of how good they are, it'd be sweet to see what they're capable of. And anything I claim are speculations or my opinions. The only thing I really stick to is Yoshi being a decent character if someone masters parrying, but even that itself is being very optimistic.

Regarding QERB vs a top Marth, again, it's pretty obvious he won't win because of both raw skill and character disadvantages, but it would be neat to see what a G&W can potentially do in the match-up. Again, this is because of Cactuarz's claim, and just in general too since we never see good G&Ws.

Also I'm mostly a spectator and can't travel much due to school/money, but I did get 5th in Singles, 3rd in Teams at my first Melee tournament, after only one day of playing other people. Nobody in my city plays and I don't have superb reflexes, so I do indeed suck.

But this thread isn't about me. If you want to chatter about Doc's match-ups, go for it. If you don't then you don't need to be here.

john!

Smash Hero

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
When GaW comes down after being launched, provided he gets out of stun in a timely manner, he is one of the few characters with relatively fast disjointed range beneath him because of his Dair. And it trumps any direct action Mewtwo does from below. The fact that it hits through most platforms also hurts Mewtwo's ability to create clean follows by range abuse. I will concede that shielding protects Mewtwo from a lot of this nonsense, as does moving out of the way. But then we just create an RPS follow model, where GaW can defeat that by wavelanding away or simply landing. Which means nothing of Mewtwo's is guaranteed at all, and that's not a good thing.

Mewtwo's F-smash is terrible and him using it at all is like a huge boon for the GaW player. Even if it has the range to compete with GaW approaches, I would think the startup time would negate its usefulness a great deal. That Mewtwo leans forward also hurts the disjointedness of the move. This strat's effectiveness is probably low and does not influence the MU very much at all. At best it sounds like a trick.

KOing early is a concern but GaW has a simple KO combo (D-throw Nair) into good percents for every level but Dreamland. Ground D-tilts will start KOing Mewtwo early enough to keep pace too, if he can hit them. Same applies for arbitrary Fairs and Nairs. GaW can keep pace. His moves also conveniently do twice as much damage as Mewtwo's main move in the MU (which, unsurprisingly, is tipped D-tilt).

I think beyond U-throw, GaW has the means to avoid Mewtwo's KO moves most of the time. U-throw is difficult to dodge because it can be thrown out on the ground and Mewtwo's grab is fairly long. But Fair and Uair seem like they'd be fairly manageable things to deal with simply because they require Mewtwo to be airborne and that's where GaW likes Mewtwo in the MU because GaW's aerials are straight up better, and Mewtwo has few ways of linking to Uair or Fair legitimately so he has to pseudo combo them. This can be difficult against a character with disjointed hitboxes and reasonably good aerial mobility.

Doser

Smash Ace

Stop posting in this thread, all you are doing is spamming, most of the posts you have made in this thread have nothing to do with the topic besides you disliking it. Get mad somewhere else.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Id rather see querb vs TAI or IB or HBK or something like that. M2k/mango would tap and we wouldnt get to see any potential.

[COLLAPSE=KIRBz of KAze]@KK-M2s uair, uptilt both reach thru most platforms. Ive also done things like crouch the landing and then uptilt.

M2 has dthrow fair on GW still, regrardless of the disjointedness of dair past 100 dtilt to uair can kill. Its worth the trade imo. Especially since fair on an airborne foe kills sooner than up throw.

GW doesnt want m2 diagonally below him tho. thats exactly where dtilt and downthrow place m2. Its that pocket in front of GWs dair and under his fair. I dont want to be head on with GW in the air like nevver.

once u get to like 105 then Ftit is dam near knocking u offstage(from center) setting up edgeguards. Ive neverr struggled to kill GW. Its not hard to avoid GWs moves, but for the most part they do beat out m2s.

You dont simply fmsmash everytime GW approaches. Most of the time, like super most you just move out the way shield and roll, or punish oos if possible. occassionally u throw out fmashes. Most often WD into an fsmash, its really just about the spacing so you would have to assume that Id be spacing it correctly, then none of that lean forward stuff really matters. In the right situation its usable.

You would be surprised to find that despite m2s early kills on GW he can still take adv of offstage edgeguarding and get kills in the 70-80's[/COLLAPSE]

@cactuarz-word. I pretty much agree with what you said. Altho, I cant really comment on M2 on Kongo, Ive felt like m2 could really make teleport magic there, but I hate the stage, and I hate brinstar....Ill ban them both haha. Overall I think that both characters have kill moves, and both characters have good mobility. Id say GW has a little more speed/quickness but when u factor in teleport and m2s longer WD Id say m2 covers more ground but GW is quicker. They both can avoid eachothers moves but I think M2 has slight adv simply because he has solid edgeguards and low percent kills. like stupid low. like fox m2 on yoshi story low. lol. But I think GW prob has better MUs with the high tier characters.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
I would like to play QERB with my Marth to see how it would go. We played in tournament at Pound 4 and I 3-stocked him with my Fox. Although that matchup is horrible and I know the G&W matchup. QERB is mad nice though and he's cool.

Mario does not get ***** by Marth. Of course Marth has the advantage. Its just tough and kinda annoying to get inside Marth (thats what she said) if the Marth knows the matchup. Although patience is the key and Mario can combo the **** out of Marth and get low percent gimps.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
@KK-M2s uair, uptilt both reach thru most platforms. Ive also done things like crouch the landing and then uptilt.

M2 has dthrow fair on GW still, regrardless of the disjointedness of dair past 100 dtilt to uair can kill. Its worth the trade imo. Especially since fair on an airborne foe kills sooner than up throw.

GW doesnt want m2 diagonally below him tho. thats exactly where dtilt and downthrow place m2. Its that pocket in front of GWs dair and under his fair. I dont want to be head on with GW in the air like nevver.

once u get to like 105 then Ftit is dam near knocking u offstage(from center) setting up edgeguards. Ive neverr struggled to kill GW. Its not hard to avoid GWs moves, but for the most part they do beat out m2s.

You dont simply fmsmash everytime GW approaches. Most of the time, like super most you just move out the way shield and roll, or punish oos if possible. occassionally u throw out fmashes. Most often WD into an fsmash, its really just about the spacing so you would have to assume that Id be spacing it correctly, then none of that lean forward stuff really matters. In the right situation its usable.

You would be surprised to find that despite m2s early kills on GW he can still take adv of offstage edgeguarding and get kills in the 70-80's
Regarding U-tilt/Uair through platforms:

I already know all of that. What I am saying is that:

- If you U-tilt to hit him through the platform as he's coming down, and he does move, your move loses
- If you wait to U-tilt him because you expect him to attack as he's coming down, and he chooses to move out of the way instead, he gets out

Making the opponent take into consideration the prospect that you can escape follows by just muscling your way through can force them into positions where their follow is dependent on you trying to muscle your way onwards... so if you just don't, and you do a more conventional escape (DJ --> waveland, waveland, air-dodge, etc) then you counter their counter

GaW gets this sort of scenario vs Mewtwo very often

As for stuff that combos... D-throw Fair does not combo GaW at KO percents if GaW DIs away. You don't even need to jump, you can just shake and land on your feet.

F-tilt is either piss weak or you've sacrificed your range advantage. Even then the trajectory should make it easily survived with good DI. "Once you get to 105"... if you're killing GaW at 115%+ (after the hit) then I tend to think GaW has gotten some excellent mileage out of his stock.

The trouble with "assume I'm spacing properly every time I do it" is that spacing is a two player game, not a one player game. And you've noted that GaW is quicker than Mewtwo, whatever that means. Lean forward affects the relationship between range and disjointedness and affects trades. So no, it's still relevant. WDing back might mitigate this to some degree, but then you're slowing the strategy down by tacking the quarter second to move back on. If the strategy works, more power to you. But it seems so situational I'm not sure it's that influential of a force in the matchup.

I don't ever hear anyone say, "Gosh, I'm really worried about Mewtwo's WD back F-smash. That one really grinds my gears."

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
DJ, why is a girl trying to get inside Marth

Does she want to like

Penetrate him?

'cuz that would be weird

Unless it's Sheik

But then that doesn't make sense 'cuz it's not hard to get inside Marth with Sheik

You just sort of

Poke him

Make him miss

And grab him

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
thats nothing short of fair.

I will say that m2 up smash beats down air and also is a kill move.

if gw is actually shaking out and living off the down throw then there are still available mix up like using WD up smash.

but I can agree its not as reliable as gw's throw to neutral air.

lmao @ nobody says ....m2 f smash. yea well nobody even gives a **** about mewtwo lol.

idk I just think they both are mobile enough to avoid each other's approaches and they both have adequate kills. on paper I can agree they look as if they tie if that is what you are getting at.

I guess I just feel that way from experience. I use to think GW was hard but I no longer think that. basically I got nothing else on the MU. so it is what it is.

I can say that dj combo is definitely a competent player (he's tight) and his GW is pretty good, but that is the experience I have had with GW.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
GaW goes REALLY far from Mewtwo's D-throw when you DI it away, if you DI it away at a percent he can shake out then he hits the floor too quickly for a legit follow and you don't get to do "mixups", he's out of the combo and back in neutral

Mewtwo's U-smash is horrible

Other than lower percent D-throw tech chases, Mewtwo doesn't have reliable combos from throw on GaW at all

I doubt DJ Combo understands the intricacies of GaW's awesome duck and why you have to learn to shake stuff --> waveland, or shake stuff --> normal landing, because otherwise you either jump or tech and those both suck and empower/enable horrible strategies like WD U-smash mixups with Mewtwo

Oh well

Competent player using low tier they don't really play / understand

Mains Marth

Hmmmmmmmm

Why you're treating GaW like he's a crappy Marth makes much more sense now

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
mewtwo's up smash is usable. lasting hit box and decent priority. its not bad at killing floaties.

dj combo definitely understands GWs duck and about shaking out. his GW is pretty tight. don't knock it until you have seen it lol.

if gw goes that far then im just wrong about it. I just don't recall struggling to get kills. so if GW can avoid all these kills at top level then id say he wins the MU.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I really want to see DJ Combo's GaW

No, really, I'm actually interested... most people really don't get how important shaking out of stuff is with him...

VGmasta

Smash Lord
somebody weigh Ganondorf's matchup values?
Ganondorf vs Doc

Final Destination =
Battle Field =
Yoshi's Story <
DreamLand 64 =
Fountain of Dreams =
Pokemon Stadium =

Feels evenish (I still think Ganon slighty wins overall) on most neutrals. But Yoshi's Story feel too small for Doc to control much space. This makes it harder for Doc to space pill approaches or to defend himself in general. So Doc has to fight near Ganon alot more, which is both good and bad for Doc. It's only good for Doc if he can somehow contain Ganon from escaping combos. But that's easier said than done since Ganon has what I like to call "combo breakers". Ganon definitely has an easier time killing Doc on this stage than any other neutral.

I'll try to post more Ganon and Doc matchups later on...

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Mario does not get ***** by Marth. Of course Marth has the advantage. Its just tough and kinda annoying to get inside Marth (thats what she said) if the Marth knows the matchup. Although patience is the key and Mario can combo the **** out of Marth and get low percent gimps.
That's what I like to hear.

If Mario has the lead, it's really hard for Marth to make a comeback, imo. Mario can kind of camp wd out of shield and do retreating bairs and occasionally fireball and stuff.

IDK, just my take on it.

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
I always forget to shake out of stuff haha, I got in a habit of jumping > waveland when those situations come up haha. M2's teleport is awesome in this matchup haha. Too bad it sucks on yoshi's/FoD (the matches where G&W wins cause of his awesome movement ;) )

I wanna play melee =c

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
kirbykaze

is there a reason

why you post like this

are you like

trying to be like mango?

or what
Usually I have random afterthoughts that I don't feel like fully fleshing out. And some of them don't really deserve being elaborated upon (or so I think). Like my claim on Mewtwo's U-smash being garbage, for instance.

If you're talking about joke posts, it's mostly because paragraphs go unnoticed on this board.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
@KK-thats crazy haha. I post like that for like the same reason. I just never really thought about why I did. ur tight homie

@cactuarz=m2s teleport isnt bad on yoshis story. U have just never played a boss m2. lol

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
someone should talk about ness matchups... cause i really like ness but don't know enough to make assumptions on matchups >.> who plays ness nowadays, that guy from NY? windowl?

CloneHat

Smash Champion
I've sandbagged with Ness before, and from what I've seen, he has huge trouble getting to people with range. He really doesn't have a safe approach.

That's the only real info I have on his matchups, though, I'm no Ness expert.

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
I play a lot of ness these days. Mostly cause PK Fire + brimstar is awesome =D

Also ness is one of my better chars, but i know i'm missing a lot of stuff ness mains would do

Top Bottom