• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Mario Video Thread Achive

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Okay guys, I FINALLY got a replay up.

There will be more, and I will demand critique for those videos as well as this one. This is my best recorded offline performance to date imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b0JbRB-Sak

I happened to discover I had a new camera with me, and it works really well! Yay!
Kinda new here, but I've really been thinking about (and now am using) Mario as a main. I liked your fight with Wario, you have some nasty air control. I saw in terms of comments that people talked about working on your ground game, the only thing I would point out in particular was that you used f-air a lot more than I thought you probably should. Uair has an interesting hitbox that I feel like you can use. Even backwards, the tip of the foot does some damage.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
woow bo your DI in the second mm vs ally at 4.07 was insane^^
good **** man O.o

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
There's a reason for that. I'm the worst Mario ever! I'm a disgrace to Mario's metagame and get 3-stocked by Xisen's Marth.
Don't make me show you my replays from just days before I played Xisin for the first time, I was -WAY- worse than you. (And yes, I do have replays from last March. :p)

Calebyte

Smash Lord

Calebyte

Smash Lord
You and Xero should come to cof on febuary 20th if you can.
It's on the 20th? o_O

For some reason I thought it was later. I wanna come though. Man, February is gonna be nuts! Three, maybe four straight tourneys! :psycho:

EDIT: Probably won't be at CoF on the 20th, but I should be at MSC#5, which is also a CoF I believe.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
@Calebyte.

I watched the first match. I don't know if I'll comment more in detail later, but I'm going to say...that match was a HUGE improvement over what you were doing before.

You're a little bit weak on properly using Mario's recovery, you need to be more confident with your B-air and U-air zoning, you don't use enough Up-smash (especially for kills), and you should try for some Jab cancels. But overall your performance was actually pretty good. The choices you made in general were quite smart, and to be fair, I think I should probably be critiquing your opponent too.

Calebyte

Smash Lord
@Calebyte.

I watched the first match. I don't know if I'll comment more in detail later, but I'm going to say...that match was a HUGE improvement over what you were doing before.

You're a little bit weak on properly using Mario's recovery, you need to be more confident with your B-air and U-air zoning, you don't use enough Up-smash (especially for kills), and you should try for some Jab cancels. But overall your performance was actually pretty good. The choices you made in general were quite smart, and to be fair, I think I should probably be critiquing your opponent too.
Thanks A2Z! Thanks to your advice earlier I've been trying to tighten up my playstyle. I still feel sloppy in a lot of ways...not all my matches go that well...but it's good to know that there's some visible improvement! :)

I'll keep working better application of usmash and aerial zoning, as well as jab cancels and grabs. Thanks again!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The second match was actually a lot better than the first, and you really really should have won it due to how well you were playing in most of it, but didn't, and this match overall clearly demonstrated some of your bigger problems.

Your offensive strategies actually were pretty solid overall, and once you got started, you did a good job of keeping up the pressure, like seriously, I was legitimately impressed by some of the strategies you used. However when you were on the defensive, you left much to be desired. You are doing a poor job of recovery and escaping stuff like generic juggle traps in general, and you do not punish out of shield very well. You need to learn to better implement Cape Stalling (which can be used to let Mario turn around to do B-airs while recovering for example), Fireballs, Airdodges, and your midair jump to make your recovery hard to punish.

Sonic realistically should not have been landing that many B-airs since you can avoid it on a basis of pure reaction time + observation.

Also quick random thing you should never forget on YI or Frigate...the wall jump. It's amazing for recovery when available.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Xisin's Marth is really good.

My Mario usually gets him down to 1-stock, :D.

And I took a game off of him in tourney with MK, the first time I ever used MK as a second.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I really didn't like the first match Calebyte. Your opponent really just ran into a lot of stuff and like didn't shield at all.

The second match however was pretty cool, but again your defensive game and recovery are on the weak side, although they look slightly improved compared to previous matches.

Also, on the last stock and a bit earlier in the match, you were trying too hard to kill with up-smash, and especially on the last stock, 98% is not really quite enough to kill Kirby reliably with an uncharged Up-smash.

Plus I just felt that you really didn't know what to expect from Kirby's B-air spacing, and that you were too conservative with edgeguards and sometimes juggles.

I might just want to discuss how I approach the Kirby matchup in general personally, because idk, you're getting pretty decent, and had you done a few things differently, you really would have had that match. I think Mario goes even (or who knows, maybe better) with Kirby when the matchup is done correctly.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I agree with the MU being even myself. Both characters can screw each other pretty evenly IMO.

Famous

Smash Champion
As Mario from what I saw...

1. You played too defensively
2. Lack of OoS options...
3. Utilized Camping at bad moments
4. Nervousness? Your reaction time was a bit off in some situations...

You'd be alot better if you worked on your offensive game such as zoning, tech chasing and so forth...Also, instead of rolling, just walk away sometimes...Walking away makes you more aware of your opponents next move...

There is alot more things I want to go over but...I gotta use the bathroom >.<...I'm also not done looking through your vids

[EDIT]
Definately making a tech video soon...Hopefully everyone can learn from it...Expect it early March maybe...

Also, my combo video is scrapped for the time being...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Juushichi, you made a lot of technical errors, relied too much on F-smash when other moves would have been much safer for punishing dodges, like famous said you camp at bad moments (and get grabbed a lot), not enough Cape Stalling, poor attempts to juggle, too conservative with edgeguards, bad DI, and you rely too much on rolls to move around.

I don't know how many Mario mains I tell this to, but it is really important to have technical mastery over this character to be competent with him.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
As Mario from what I saw...

1. You played too defensively
2. Lack of OoS options...
3. Utilized Camping at bad moments
4. Nervousness? Your reaction time was a bit off in some situations...

You'd be alot better if you worked on your offensive game such as zoning, tech chasing and so forth...Also, instead of rolling, just walk away sometimes...Walking away makes you more aware of your opponents next move...

There is alot more things I want to go over but...I gotta use the bathroom >.<...I'm also not done looking through your vids

[EDIT]
Definately making a tech video soon...Hopefully everyone can learn from it...Expect it early March maybe...

Also, my combo video is scrapped for the time being...
Tech video as in Lovage's Berserker like melee freestyling ? 0.0 or just combo video? lol

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Vs. Tactical

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ6Um5ixEGo - Game 3 (Others weren't recorded)

Vs. Joey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSWG1-XUWa0&feature=channel - Game 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHq2cgx0VHQ&feature=channel - Game 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmVTjsDyWQ8&feature=channel - Game 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lObRdFeCxDQ&feature=channel - Game 4

I was really nervous so I wasn't using many of my defensive options correctly, and was really really really bad about my spotdodge habit that day. I didn't feel I was playing to the best of my ability but I wasn't doing too terribly.

Comment/Give advice if you feel like it, I'll try not to be like "Lolwut" and just ignore it like I usually do.

Matt07

Smash Master
Aw, you add them now, when I have to head to class :(.

And go back home to a crap internet, that will take over 30 minutes+ to load them :urg:.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Honestly it's a relief to see your Mario Xero. For the most part, you played pretty competently, and I expect in the future for every Mario main on this board to play as least as well as you were playing right now.

Personally me I thought you could have mixed up your ground game a bit more, especially against floaties like Lucario and Kirby and Olimar you can legitimately Jab cancel to D-smash.

You don't use the Sliding Up-smash enough either lol, and you got like no grabs. Otherwise you look overall decent, despite being nervous.

I was thinking for a moment your playstyle reminded me of my own, except I'm more flashy haha.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I usually use alot of jab mixups, but I was also out of practice, as soon as my vid with Smash64 is uploaded I'll get that on here, because I was doing really well that day.

I also noticed I started getting really desperate for kills, which is an old habit of mine (it probably had something to do with being nervous as well.) but I plan on working on that, as well.

Plus that spotdodge habit, it's so ugly. It has to go.

EDIT: Also, I'm not a big fan of the Sliding Usmash, I prefer to Usmash OoS if I really feel like killing with it. Otherwise, I'm not against using it as a damage racker, which I find it fairly decent at doing.

Famous

Smash Champion
Tech video as in Lovage's Berserker like melee freestyling ? 0.0 or just combo video? lol
Yes, Lovage is a perfect example...Though it wont look as good...

I'm basically going to go over drills you can practice to build up your tech skill, zoning, etc...Kinda like Neo's Brawl Marth video...

Yea, sliding up smash is too good...Jab your opponents shield then run behind them with the USmash...

EDIT] Wow Xero, that Lucario player played campy even though he was losing...lol

Top Bottom