• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The New Mario Video Thread Achive

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
aww lol, l was planning to make one for awhile now too... just never had the recording devices... it'd consistent of some lots of cape dashing, some dacing, alot of mix of aerials, etc.. obv not as great as Lovage's Melee tech lol, and nor will it look super fancy as Melee is 0.o.

Matt07

Smash Master
Xero!

vs Lucario.

Good stuff overall, you had nice spacing tricks, and had very nice Fireball approaches. However things that you could've done better, in my opinion.

1) Cape Stall -> B-air, everytime you Cape stalled, you follwed after a b-air, try for different aerials.
2) Your spotdodging was predictable and you used it at bad situations, just be more careful with them, and less predictable.
3) You had him on the last stock with an up smash a few times, the opportunity happened, but you charged it a little too long instead or sat in your shield. I'm assuming you did that because you were nervous?

Okay some questions I have to ask you/other Mario's, how do you miss the second hit of Lucario's d-air?

And your spotdodged his fsmash? Everytime I try it I always get hit..:ohwell:, what am I doing wrong :(.

Second set:

First match.

1) You played this match, wrong...kinda. You needed way more Fireballs, remember Kirby has poor approach options, and SH, FH Fireballs would've helped a bunch! Kirby just beats our aggresive game too much, back off a little and camp.
2) His fsmash's were easy to read, he'd either do a falling b-air, wait for you to long, then fsmash, or he would stand there wait for you to land on the stage, and fsmash. Pick up on habits like that and punish.

You had overall nice DI in the match, and wtf happened at 3:50? He hit Kirby with his up B, he got knocked back, but took no damage? I thought Phantom Hits only occured in Melee? Correct me if I'm wrong.

PS guys: I'm glad we've improved in critiquing others videos lately! I'm liking it.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
The thing about using Bair after Cape Stall is that if you properly space Bair Lucario can't punish you as easily as if you were falling down with another aerial. I probably should've retreated after a few of those, though. But that could've put me right in Fsmash range (Not good.)

Honestly, I SDI the Lucario's Dair and half the time I get out before I get hit by the one that gives knockback.

Spotdodging Fsmash... don't do it. It's a bad idea, just shield and punish instead. (Srsly) The only reason I was doing it was because I was nervous.

Matt07

Smash Master
Oh? Lucario can't punish that Cape-> B-air?

Heh, good to know! Disregard that point then, and I'm going to have to do that more often then vs Lucario.

Also I added new info Xero, I just edit my post.

Which way do you SDI out of d-air?

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Well, I just know Lucario won't be able to grab you if you Bair is all. His other options are all too slow so you'll have time to react if you use Bair properly.

And uh, SDI up out of Dair? (I think)

Also, watch first game of the Kirby set. I tried camping and it didn't work well (at all), Joey plays WiFi all the time and he knows how to deal with really campy Marios.

Half the time I knew I was getting Fsmashed, but yeah uh... nervousness (**** semi-finals).

Also, Up-B hates me. It doesn't ever do damage for me! (Seriously that happens all the time.)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Ehhh... doesn't UpB do 12% if all hits hit? That's not that bad...
Also, if it gets SDI'd, you don't get the knockback either :p

Finally, thank you very much Xero. I've been wondering how to SDI that Dair... SDIing away hasn't been working for me.

Also, Joey came from pretty high with his Bairs. You probably could have used FIHL to punish him, since Bair lasts a long time anyway unless ACed, and FLUDD should keep him up there long enough for you to get in range of it, shield, and punish.
Otherwise, maybe try rolling behind his Bair from time to time?

I watched the matches a few days ago, but didn't have time to comment (and right now I don't have time to rewatch them), so maybe I'm wrong.

If we go to the same tournament anytime soon, I'll try to give you experience with the Kirby MU.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If you want to be really conservative with Mario's Up-B and are really afraid they will SDI the middle hits, reverse Up-Bs are good GTFO moves. They do only like 5%, but they are at least always safe on hit.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Up b has worked pretty well for me when I see a missed MK dair. Obviously, activating up b so that you hit him shortly after it finishes. It doesn't do much, but it's worth doing if one of his options becomes unsafe. Admittedly, I have not tested this out a lot, but the times I've tried it on really good MK mains, it has been successful. I just thought I should throw that out there.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion

vato_break

Smash Master
well first of all why are you running away when he's offstage? are you hoping he chases you and you punish him? or trying to reset neutral position? o.0 try not to use upB at low percents because you can either miss or they can di it so you can still get pusnished...

you can use more fireballs and more agressiveness too...

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Kinda hard to take seriously with you running off the edge so much. XD But lets see...

Fireballs are hard to use on Yoshi, but it's still good for fireball approaching. This Yoshi in particularly you didn't really need to since he didn't camp nor use pivot grabs, but on the ones that do you'll want to use fireballs more on.

You're too grounded. Against Yoshi that's rough to deal with due to Yoshi's B-air and grabbing (though this Yoshi didn't grab much). Using B-air and N-air against Yoshi is important since his aerials extends his hurtbox as well as his hitbox.

Work more on your DI and Momentum Breaking. 2:14 is an example of bad DI.

I like how when you get going you're hard to stop. When you set up a juggle you just keep dishing out aerials. You're definitely an offensive Mario, though you'll want to work on your defensive play. Yoshi's aerial mobility against Mario is tough to deal with, so spacing is key for the match since it'll stop him in his tracks.

U-Smash moar. It beats Yoshi's aerials.

I think I hit the main points.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yoshi is easy. Camp all day and he doesn't really have a real answer to it. Up-smash kills him at 130% too.

Yoshi is hard if you go aggro on him all the time since his specialty is punishing approaches. You don't need to approach him. At midrange you have better and safer camping. Approaching him is only good if you can force him to shield.

Veggi

Smash Champion
When the Luigi touched your shield with a punishable move like weak nair, you roll dodge away when you can punish it. don't be really obvious when you go for uairs or bairs, a lot of times I saw you jump toward the Luigi and do the most obvious aerial like uair when he was above you or bair when you were facing backwards and you never mixed it up.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah, I agree. I should restate, those matches are really old. Like over a year old?

Uploaded because they were hilarious. Thanks for the critique though.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Can someone please smack some sense into vato break, he's turning into Monk now. XD

On the meantime guys watch these matches from my last tourney.. It looks like I've gotten much slower but they're still good.

http://www.youtube.com/user/4KTScotty#p/f

Look at all the matches in my favorites, I have no time to spread em out now as I have to go to school very shortly.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Man, Bo, I really don't like some of these matches nearly as much as some of your older ones. You've had better.

Famous

Smash Champion
Lol, Ganon was giving you the business Bo, jk...

Oh yea, about the Anther/Pika MU....I'll share some stuff after class...lol

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
There's some obvious rust on your Mario Bo, it's fine you'll get it back, I'm slowly getting mine back ^^

You missed some cape gimps on Chu's Kirby though on Battlefield xD

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Lots of vids...

I'll go through them one-by-one.

vs Ganon(1): Holy jesus what's up with the first stock? Fireball camp more, apply your shield more to block D-air because it's punishable on block, and if you're gonna apply shield pressure make sure you move behind Ganon instead of up front otherwise you'll get punished for it. Overall too much flash and not enough basic tactics that would've worked just fine.

vs Ganon(2): Space better. You were practically running into **** when you kept attacking with obvious aerials and Ganon blocked them then D-air'd you(0:14). Don't jab cancel all the time either, especially if he's blocking them. The basic Jab combo works in terms of adding damage and if you have the sweetspot of the jab (front of the fist), then you can apply PPK and Breakdance combo no problem. Overall much better than your first match, but caution was thrown out here. It worked out in the end.

vs Ganon(3): You know those mad scientists that made a super doom device that could destroy everything, but then there's a miscalculation for unknown reasons, but they say "Fire it anyway!"? That was you. It was like you had everything figured out but when Ganon starts to mix things up you failed to adapt to it (0:28 is a decent example). You need to be able to read your opponent and thwart their tactics with your own. You didn't really apply this and let out your usual stuff, which is why Ganon was able to massacre you until you cameback and he SD'd on his last stock.

vs Ganon(4): Dunno what was up with the first stock... you really should've had that one in the bag, but you essentially left yourself wide open and he captialized by spiking you. But I guess it evens out when he right into that charged F-Smash... nevermind, you did it again at your last stock. Essentially, just read vs Ganon(2) again. Space better, be more cautious, and stop running into ****.

vs Ganon(5): Apply critique 1 and 2 and that sums up my thoughts about this match. On a side note, land with an aerial after using Up-B to grab the ledge. the RCO lag got you D-aired.

Generally... a lot of stuff that happened honestly shouldn't have happened. Those matches never made it over 3 mins, and while I don't judge matches based on length, that generally gave me the idea on how each match was going to go. In all, you were too reckless and flashy. "All style, no substance" they usually say. Your pressure and mindgames are excellent no doubt, but you really have to re-evaluate the basics and look at your options. There are better things you could've done that would've sealed the deal.

Looking at the rest of the vids. More to come.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Gonna use this post to evaluate the random matches with no sets.

vs Metaknight: Use. More. Fireballs. That is Metaknight's only exploitable weakness. The only way he can cancel fireballs is by shielding them, or using Tornado/Drill Rush which is often seen as weak approaches. You cannot beat MK at his own game (being offensive), and spacing is hard. You have to stay away from him and outlast him. You did a good job punishing his mistakes though, and 2:04 was pretty awesome.

vs Snake: Not the best Snake I've seen (or had to deal with). He should've grenade camped more and utilized his safe options. Not nearly enough F-tilt either. Generally I'll have to say you got a lucky break here. Your style applied well against him and he had a hard time keeping up. Just remember to DI upward whenever he grabs you. It doesn't hurt to do so, and it definitely hurts if you don't and he B-throws you, which is how you lost your first stock. Against Snakes that know how to space, you'll want to utilize cape jump.

vs Diddy: Got mindgamed hard this match. Essentially, he was camping you by throwing down his bananas to cause you to react. In this case, "Fight fire with fire" and use your fireballs more. Demand a reaction out of him. Of course, you'll want to hop (short or full works) when you do this so you don't get punished with bananas. Now, if you don't know how to JCT or DACIT, you're better off isolating the bananas at the edge of the stage or throwing them upward, or keeping a hold of it and fireball camp. NEVER just throw them off the stage, you're essentially giving it back that way. Your best bet however is to get creative with the bananas and use it against him. You had a decent moment at 1:20, but after that Diddy regained control and wiped you off the floor. You stopped using cape and by God you were way too grounded. You were way caught up in Diddy's momentum and it hindered you greatly. If you play by Diddy's rules, you will get destroyed, period. Re-evaluate the match and look at your options. The match is all about momentum.

Vs Olimar(1): Yeah... you looked lost trying to fight this one. Generally, use N-air more. It's actually your best approach option since Olimar can't shieldgrab it. It also ***** pikmin thrown at you and lower his numbers, and it also prioritizes all of Olimar's attacks except for his own N-air and I believe U-tilt. You'll want to FLUDD more this time around, essentially so you can knock Pikmin away and force Olimar to call them back. What you shouldn't do is stay grounded this match unless you're comboing. Concentrate on gimps as well.

Vs Olimar (2): Too reckless on the first stock, and you got camped hard the last stock. Apply the first critique to this and we'll see from there.

vs Kirby(1): You were doing well the first stock, but once Kirby figured you out and countered you pretty much crumbled till you fell apart completely. There's honestly not much that I've said already. Regain control of the situation by looking at your options, and don't be too reckless.

vs Kirby(2): Whew, B-air was ripping you apart. Two options for that. You can contest with B-air, or you can shield then Up-B OOS. Also, for edgeguarding kirby you'll want to fireball alot, mainly to avoid any kamikaze attempts. Not much else to say on that.

Top Bottom