• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NEOH Thread - OP updated what?????

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
GIRLLLLLL.

Eric said he wants to go as well and might drive. So just keep that in mind.

Then I'ma take yo money.

$$

Also...LMFAOOOOO at your sig.
That's the same day as a tourney at my old high school. It's for students and alumni so GF will be me vs my brother. Easy money. Lol but I MIGHT be up to Michigan for sweet 5.. Maybe..

But on the real, Pittsburgh melee ***** and all other scenes are bad. Put two players in bracket at apex. Get at us.

M@v

Subarashii!
That Ouga tournament is literally on the first day of spring break for me (march second), so I could theoretically make if i left psu thursday night. I would need housing though because its too far to go to burgh and back in one day. Can I house with of the neoh people?

Kel

Smash Master
OUGA tournaments are the best tournaments to go to. On Saturday we do side/ silly tournaments while everyone arrives. Saturday is Brawl/ any feature fighter tournaments and then Sunday we all hang out until everyone leaves.

Housing is taken care of and there are restaraunts all over. It's one of the biggest party schools in the nation too, so if you're out early you can go party or something as well.

M@v

Subarashii!
Hey MW, I need honest opinions here. Is there area generally in favor of the mk ban? Or does the majority here want mk legal?

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
@ M@V, initially a lot of us were for the ban, but it seems that the notion is wavering.

Ohio is dead again, but if it was active it'd be like 60% anti-ban, I think.
Michigan is against the ban, Kentucky is probably 55% anti-ban, no idea about Indiana, probably the same. Wisconsin/Illinois is probably about 50/50, they generally play either way. MO/NE/KS and them are anti-ban, I think.

So, overall I think most of the region is anti-ban. Michigan, Illinois, Missouri/Kansas are currently the most active states.

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
I'll probably be at Ohayocon either Saturday or Sunday... If there's a Brawl tournament, hopefully I can get there on the correct day. e.e;

D

Deleted member

Hey MW, I need honest opinions here. Is there area generally in favor of the mk ban? Or does the majority here want mk legal?
Most of the people I play with are for the ban in Ohio.

Please don't tell me the URC is already going back on their vote when we haven't even had time to get real data now that the ban is official.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
MO/NE/KS and them are anti-ban, I think.
This is pretty correct. (edit: Also I think it's cool that Nebraska was thought about before Kansas and Iowa wasn't even an afterthought)

Nebraska's active brawl players are pretty anti-ban, though we've had a few MK banned tournaments to try it out. I'm neutral tbh, even though I think banning a character is stupid when stages and non-IC's infinite;s (in that order) bother me more. :dedede: and :wolf: and :sonic: are the only characters in Nebraska that have really done damage in tournament from our state since 2009 tbh, though one of us does secondary MK. However, some of the people I'm trying to get back into the game ARE pro-ban so it's tough. I plan on holding both banned and unbanned tournaments in the future, but an MK legal tournament is probably going to happen next. Probably 75-25 anti.

MO is very anti-ban and have been from the start. Just ask anyone on the STL thread, lol. Probably 85-15 anti.

KS is kinda split, I know a certain URC member is second guessing the decision, but his roommate is in favor of the ban iirc, unless he changed his mind since I last talked to him. Probably 55-45 anti-ban.

Iowa is pro-ban, however. Outside of Bpow, every smasher in Iowa has been said to be pro-ban and we got into a debate about it the other day in that thread.

KS/IA/MO/NE have a circuit going on that started before the ban, so naturally you can't ban a character mid circuit.

However, it's my understanding that a certain URC member from Iowa is planning on having an MK legal tournament in the summer, mostly to get OOCountry attendance up.

MW:W is probably 65% anti-ban and 35% pro-ban if I had to give you estimation.

btw this is the first time I've ever been in this thread

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win-part-1.html
Everyone needs to read.

I'm not for or against the ban since it hasn't even been a month since the total Unity ban was instituted.we need more time to gather data and results. And, the fact that this is almost unprecedented in competitive fighting games (see article of you don't know about Akuma is SF2), we are walking almost blind into this.

I will, however, say that MK is overpowered and owned the metagame. He saw more tournament time than most characters. He has more options in more situations than the entire cast. And don't argue with me on this fact. I'm probably exaggerating, but dangit he has an answer for everything!
Now, I direct you to the MU chart:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=316173

One matchup under +1.
And that is a 50/50 MU with Pika.

Marth and ICs have a few minus -1 matchups, according to the chart

On top of that, (if I counted correctly) he has 9 +1 MUs
On a cast of what...37 or 38 with the inclusion of sheik/Zelda combo?
That means 20 of his matchups are +2 or more.

So playing MK would give you a good chance at winning if you have the skill to play him well. Combined with the fact that his metagame was advanced much farther than a lot of characters, he has a great advantage (in thought, not always in practice. Variables per match have to be taken into account...but we can't decipher every freaking match against an MK ever. That'd be dumb) as compared to the rest of the cast
Good chance of winning = more people will play him
Lots of MKs = MK dittos. And a stale metagame.

With the MK ban, we can at least see if we can get a more diversified metagame. That will be good for the competitive scene, which should be a major concern for the entire community.

Okay so this may be jumbled and unorganized....but I'm on a bus using my iPhone to type this (aka LOL TOUCHSCREEN).
I'll fix this up and probably add more later
Including an anti ban post?

I just started with pro-ban because it's easier IMO and most of this discussion here has been anti ban from what I've seen.
But once again, phone. I skimmed stuff.

....yeah.

:phone:

Jiffyboob

Smash Lord
Why are we all talking about MK here lolol???

Edit:

This MK ban is pretty much like a person debating having sex with someone for a while; wanting to do it, finally doing it, then a little bit later being like "idk if that was a great idea."
Then some people at school hear about it. The cool kids in school (Japan) put the person (USA @ Apex) on the spot, so under pressure they call "****". ("****" being going back on the decision here.)
Only problem is, the "****" was videotaped. *gasp* So it wasn't "****"

The community had all the time in the world to think about this. That's 4 years of videos, data, and discussion. Made a decision, now stick with it for a while.
Not saying never go back but seriously...after less than a month people are wavering in their discourse. Give me a ****ing break. WHERE IS YOUR BACKBONE!!!!

Another edit: I neither voted for or against the ban, nor did I care. I love to play this game in tourney but for me, the game is recreational over everythng.

DRDN

Smash Master
8623 Hickory Drive, Sterling Heights MI 48312
Why are we all talking about MK here lolol???

Edit:

This MK ban is pretty much like a person debating having sex with someone for a while; wanting to do it, finally doing it, then a little bit later being like "idk if that was a great idea."
Then some people at school hear about it. The cool kids in school (Japan) put the person (USA @ Apex) on the spot, so under pressure they call "****". ("****" being going back on the decision here.)
Only problem is, the "****" was videotaped. *gasp* So it wasn't "****"

The community had all the time in the world to think about this. That's 4 years of videos, data, and discussion. Made a decision, now stick with it for a while.
Not saying never go back but seriously...after less than a month people are wavering in their discourse. Give me a ****ing break. WHERE IS YOUR BACKBONE!!!!

Another edit: I neither voted for or against the ban, nor did I care. I love to play this game in tourney but for me, the game is recreational over everythng.

Post of the year

HariKyuubi

Smash Journeyman
*claps* Bravo.

Let's just try this ban thing for a while, see if it works, and if it works, good. If it doesn't, we can still go back on it, and as an added bonus we figure out that banning him doesn't work.

M@v

Subarashii!
Most of the people I play with are for the ban in Ohio.

Please don't tell me the URC is already going back on their vote when we haven't even had time to get real data now that the ban is official.
No they're not. This is just me wanting to gather some info for personal reasons :D

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
M@v, gonna hopefully do a formal write up on the MK ban in the near future (and I think itll be unbiased!)

So that'll give you some more feedback I think

:phone:

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
This is pretty correct. (edit: Also I think it's cool that Nebraska was thought about before Kansas and Iowa wasn't even an afterthought)

Nebraska's active brawl players are pretty anti-ban, though we've had a few MK banned tournaments to try it out. I'm neutral tbh, even though I think banning a character is stupid when stages and non-IC's infinite;s (in that order) bother me more. :dedede: and :wolf: and :sonic: are the only characters in Nebraska that have really done damage in tournament from our state since 2009 tbh, though one of us does secondary MK. However, some of the people I'm trying to get back into the game ARE pro-ban so it's tough. I plan on holding both banned and unbanned tournaments in the future, but an MK legal tournament is probably going to happen next. Probably 75-25 anti.

MO is very anti-ban and have been from the start. Just ask anyone on the STL thread, lol. Probably 85-15 anti.

KS is kinda split, I know a certain URC member is second guessing the decision, but his roommate is in favor of the ban iirc, unless he changed his mind since I last talked to him. Probably 55-45 anti-ban.

Iowa is pro-ban, however. Outside of Bpow, every smasher in Iowa has been said to be pro-ban and we got into a debate about it the other day in that thread.

KS/IA/MO/NE have a circuit going on that started before the ban, so naturally you can't ban a character mid circuit.

However, it's my understanding that a certain URC member from Iowa is planning on having an MK legal tournament in the summer, mostly to get OOCountry attendance up.

MW:W is probably 65% anti-ban and 35% pro-ban if I had to give you estimation.

btw this is the first time I've ever been in this thread
If we're counting active Brawl playing tournaments, KC and IA have the most consistent tournament hosting scenes, followed by Missouri.

KC is by in large Pro-Ban (the main exceptions being the three high level players and two mid level players). I've talked to almost everyone about it myself.

If Wichita and MO and NE got more active players, your numbers would be right. But as long as Joker and I are the main TO's we're running through for things, most of the MWW tournament attendance has been MK banned.

And I know that I haven't had many complaints about it (except the outliers I'm talking about) and IA doesn't seem to have many complaints except Bpow's

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
How dare you have an opinion different than mine!

If we're counting active Brawl playing tournaments, KC and IA have the most consistent tournament hosting scenes, followed by Missouri.

KC is by in large Pro-Ban (the main exceptions being the three high level players and two mid level players). I've talked to almost everyone about it myself.

If Wichita and MO and NE got more active players, your numbers would be right. But as long as Joker and I are the main TO's we're running through for things, most of the MWW tournament attendance has been MK banned.

And I know that I haven't had many complaints about it (except the outliers I'm talking about) and IA doesn't seem to have many complaints except Bpow's
Yeah, that's why I thought it was so funny that he mentioned Nebraska before Kansas and Iowa, lol.

When I speak in generalizations, I'm usually talking from players at-near-above my skill level and are active in their community for longer than a month, and it seems that the majority of those players in the MW:W are Anti-ban. I don't really care about the people that are only gonna come to 1 tournament. I care about people that have/want to commit to the game and get their opinion.

Also, I believe that KC is different than Kansas. KC is very much Pro-Ban. KS is probably closer to neutral due to the fact that Domo and Clel are two of your best players IMO and they both main MK. Though I do understand that the majority of the non-KC brawlers in KS (outside of MJG) are retired/retiring/basically retired.

Mo has plenty of players, imo. Cook, future, MMM, hylian, radium, FAE, Fuujin and JoWii has come out of retirement, they have more players even. All of those players have gone to the locals and some of the regionals in MO/IA somewhat recently, so I would consider them to be of at least even value with KC. And go into the STL thread and ask if they are pro-MK ban, they are way not pro-mk ban. They have players who only enter locals, and I believe those peoples opinions count because they at least are active in their community. yes, there is life after Nicole in MO (but I hope she moves back).

Like I said, Iowa is very pro-ban outside of Bpow, but he's currently their most active player (not best, but still). I would say that Missouri has more active players than Iowa does, even though Iowa has a more active tournament scene currently. Iowa and Missouri probably cancel each other out. (just to move on).

Nebraska...welllllllllll..........I guess you should just ask me :p

Nah, we have players who play at local tournaments that I do care about their opinions, that's half the reason that I don't do URC rules sets is because I cater to our scene (though I would be willing with a few small changes, mostly stages).

#1 MegaRobMan :wolf: :link2: :marth: :luigi2:-I don't care.
#2 ResTy :dedede:-Secondaries MK, used to be anti-ban until it became cool to be anti-ban. Plus Tyser is a company man so he goes with the flow of his friends (GregDang is violently pro-ban and that's Tyser's homeboy.)
#3 Trent :sonic:-Retired, but last time we talked he thought the idea of banning MK was a joke.
#4 Thugz :pikachu2: :metaknight:-Lives in MI currently, mains CG, secondaries MK. Violently anti-ban.
#5 Cue :snake:-Pro-ban because he doesn't want to deal with MK.
#6 MK Mike :samus2: :falcon:-Pro-ban because he doesn't want to deal with MK.
#7 JBM :marth:-Secondaries MK, is kind of in the same boat I am with feelings about it. basically he'll main Marth unless MK is unbanned, then he'd go back to MK probably.
#8 LeRoy :rob: :falco:-Is way too good to even care about MK, he destroys every MK anyway.

Honorable Mentions
GameGenie222 :falco:-Anti-Ban, and got banned from smashboards for posting Hentai.
Aurasturm :marth:-I think he might be retired, sadly, but I think he's pro-ban.

Receiving Votes
DarkYoshi :yoshi2:-Lives in Texas, but thinks banning MK is stupid, but glad they did it so he has an easier path.
Sm3esh :peach:-He was pro-ban, but I think he's coming to the idea that banning MK is for **** ies.

However, a lot of the new players (all 4 of them) I'm trying to get into the game were all like "Wait, why is MK banned?" when I talked to them about it. So...their opinions are just silly to regard anyway because they don't even know that MK should be banned because he's broken.

In general, I think people that want to run MK banned tournaments should go crazy, I think people who want to run MK legal tournaments should go crazy. I personally want to run a Kirby character banned tournament (and a Star Fox character banned tournament in Melee) so hell, maybe I should do that. (internet sarcasm).

TLDR; Probably 15 out of the top 20 players in the MW:W are anti-ban, but the rest of the players it's probably closer to 55 pro-ban and 45 anti-ban. Also Nebraska is coooool.

Also, it's kinda sad, but I'm probably the #3 active TO in the MW:W. Rauleen does a great job with semi-nationals and Cook with the Kahoka series...hmmm, maybe I'm more like #4 and those two can share 1 spot.

Trent

Smash Champion
Came across this thread when I randomly decided to log onto Smashboards today. I don't play the game anymore since college has taken over my life.

However, don't put words in my mouth. I've always been pro-ban.

Also I'm not a top player, nor have I ever been a top player, and wins against me are nothing to brag about.

Thank you.

King~

Smash Champion
lol thread Hijacked

as long as i can play him in friendlies i dont care.

anyway anyone wanna play sometime this week, i got my wii back

Roller

Smash Legend
you guys should come to Phoenix Saga 2. =o

Also. I'm against the ban, because otherwise peach is broken. And people will use peach. And peach beats ICs. And that's dumb. Nobody should beat ICs. So yeah, unban the peach killer, imo.

Top Bottom