• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NEOH Thread - OP updated what?????

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
But he can moan suggestively and introduce a new generation to BDSM.....Oh wait that doesn't help his argument....Oh well, too late!
---------
So you're saying...Sagat isn't at least a LITTLE too OP? He's like the MK of Street Fighter :/

EDIT: By that, I mean that he's not game breakingly OP (At least not in SF4/SSF4...I hear baaaad things bout SF2's Sagat...) but he has little to NO bad match ups, and quite a few that are a bit in his favor...Sounds a loooot more like meta knight. If 'priority' didnt affect so damn much in brawl, Meta knight wouldn't be so unreachingly high so to speak. If he had match ups more balanced than 55/45 or 60/40 as his lowest, same thing. Sagat? He's just a tad OP, but the real problem lies with how UP a lot of characters end up being in comparison to the 'best'.

edit: Sole - See, but if you actually enjoy abusing cheap tactics and characters for the sake of abusing them....Then you're playing fighters wrong. Go play CoD, I'm sure they'd love your willingness to abuse broken tactics.
Fighters shouldn't be a 'quick street' to winning via broken tactics and characters. It should be a genre where you fight people, and you GET BETTER. I personally believe, more than any other genre, you HAVE to ENJOY what you're doing in a fighter, or it's just not worth it :/. If you're taking the quick road n abusing **** to win a ton, either you just love winning for the sake of winning rather than earning it....or somehow you really just enjoy playing cheap things. *shrug*

Argent - Ouuuch :/....

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Now I don't play Street Fighter, but know a whole lot of people who do. Are we talking about SFIV? The only character I've heard anyone ***** about so far was Yun...

EDIT: From what you write Eon, I'm starting to think you may be playing the wrong genre of games :p

King~

Smash Champion
Link, heihachi, and spawn where banned for being console exclusive, not for anyother reason. Like really the only character that has been seriously banned was akuma

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Yun is Arcade Edition. TBH, I've yet to get ahold of that one ^^;....I still just have SSF4.

I'm not playing the wrong genre. I just think people should play fighters to play who they enjoy playing based on the character or the play style of that character. I think it's sad that most people just wanna WIN WIN WIN without ENJOYING the character/fight. They enjoy the fact of winning, not the fight/'journey' itself. Trust me, I'm here to stay. I play Sakura in SSF4 for crying out loud, but I don't mind playing a middle tier character in that game. Why? I ENJOY playing as her.
For the same reason I'll never be able to quite give up Brawl's Wolf, and the same reason I play YLink in Melee. They're not bad, but they're not 'top tier'....but DAMN if I don't ENJOY playing em ^^;.

King - Yeah I would think they'd be banned for console exclusivity, nothing else.....

EDIT: I will tell you. Right now. If I had to choose between having 3-4 matches, or getting to the grand final and having an EPIC (And preferrably close) match....Either one, as long as I ENJOYED every fight....I don't mind if I win or lose.
At times, cheap *** techniques do lower my enjoyment, but I do try my hardest to stay focused and get around the cheap tricks....

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Your forgetting the sad thing about competitive gaming: Money.

If I can learn the cheapest stuff and win money from tournaments... then I'll do it. (is what most of the top players are thinking at some level)

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
*shrug* I'm not sayin you shouldn't play the best character you can at high level tournaments...but at lower level tournies? And even at higher levels....if you intentionally do the really cheap ****, or you pick someone to win and you don't really enjoy them...I can't respect that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxzw1kOH6SA
See this? This man may not have won many trophys...But DAMN if he doesn't make it ENJOYABLE to watch. Damn if he doesn't ENJOY IT himself. I'd like to be that kind of guy, but for video games.
Get where I'm coming from? Sure the medals are nice n I'd like to win my share....but sometimes, providing myself and others with a good match to watch is all I desire.

solecalibur

Smash Master
Yun is Arcade Edition. TBH, I've yet to get ahold of that one ^^;....I still just have SSF4.

I'm not playing the wrong genre. I just think people should play fighters to play who they enjoy playing based on the character or the play style of that character. I think it's sad that most people just wanna WIN WIN WIN without ENJOYING the character/fight. They enjoy the fact of winning, not the fight/'journey' itself. Trust me, I'm here to stay. I play Sakura in SSF4 for crying out loud, but I don't mind playing a middle tier character in that game. Why? I ENJOY playing as her.
For the same reason I'll never be able to quite give up Brawl's Wolf, and the same reason I play YLink in Melee. They're not bad, but they're not 'top tier'....but DAMN if I don't ENJOY playing em ^^;.

King - Yeah I would think they'd be banned for console exclusivity, nothing else.....

EDIT: I will tell you. Right now. If I had to choose between having 3-4 matches, or getting to the grand final and having an EPIC (And preferrably close) match....Either one, as long as I ENJOYED every fight....I don't mind if I win or lose.
At times, cheap *** techniques do lower my enjoyment, but I do try my hardest to stay focused and get around the cheap tricks....
So what happens, I liked playing metaknight when the game 1st started but there is a softban of guilt in my area when I play him, I like his play style but nooo he is top tier

edit - melee high tiers are da best to play then low

edit edit - define "cheap ****" because I can assure you everyone has a different definition

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Eon, by wrong genre, I mean competitive gaming. You don't have a competitive mentality, pure and simple. That's not a bad thing, but maybe tournaments aren't the best place for you then, as they will probably end up killing your love for the games you play. Maybe just stick to smashfests?

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Infinites in a lot of fighters have always pissed me off :/. Especially the MvC2 ones, but that's not brawl.
Typically something that's usually easy to start and/or continue doing that'll wrack up a ton of damage or it's an infinite. IE Ice climber's chain grabs, falco's (although i've been told quite a bit that falco's is escapable) and well done naner traps....But then again, perfectly executed naner locks are so hard to get...
Just typically **** that racks up a lot of damage and/or a ko easily or without much effort/risk (IE Chain grabs, infinites n such)
That's how I view 'cheap tactics' in fighters...

EDIT: Nah mate. I'm very competitive, and I usually do well. The problem is I don't enjoy brawl's comp scene, and most of the melee people in the area are either a) way below me or b) way above me. Most of them I only meet at tournies, so I rarely get to have smashfests with them where I can just play n play to improve.
I used to practice for comp FPS, and I've been keeping my skills sharp in case I ever get another chance to get into it. I believe my mentality doesn't limit my ability to play competitively...except maybe in fighters themselves xD

EDIT: Fighters as a comp e-sport are actually one of the most lax when it comes to using 'cheap' or 'unbalanced' things.
Comp FPS usually limit what weapons/abilities/perks/what have u can or cannot be used. That changes as time goes on.
RTS' get units patched, and unfair strategies usually die out, get nerfed, or get countered after awhile.
Likewise, AoS games (or MOBA for those of u who think that acronym is okay...ugh) such as DotA/HoN/LoL also get patched.

Comp scenes for fighter games usually fall back on the 'copy/adapt/die (aka quit)' ideology when confronted about the usage or acceptance of 'cheap' strategies.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Likewise, AoS games (or MOBA for those of u who think that acronym is okay...ugh) such as DotA/HoN/LoL also get patched.
I just want to point out that those games also get constant patching because they are constantly adding new characters, oftentimes breaking the balance. Amun Ra in HoN would be a perfect example.

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial

solecalibur

Smash Master
Can I get a tl;dr please? Too much text xD

I need to play some smash with people who aren't Denzi soon xD
Tl;dr : eon doesn't like cheap tatics to win, he's saying u should play legit to win, that's understandable but my arguement is

It isn't in the rules why not? Blame the ppl that make the rules and ask them to change. Unfair tatics might be factors outside of the game like yelling at them or things like that

And fros is
Don't bother playing with that mind set. (I think)

I'm pretty much done argueing that but I might host a minismash thing friday

Suyon

Smash Lord
Blame yourself. There will always be broken characters and people will find them. Play to win for tournaments. If you want competitive gaming then Mario party MM. Yayayya. Pong. Those sports game I dunno.
If there is one thing against my argument that would be lebron going to win to be broken and exploit it. Too bad something got hacked and debugged or bugged or w/e. Now I don't even remember what I'm talking about.

Ice cars ;-;

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
I would join...but alas no ride :( And that's when my friend is hangin with me. He's forced to take/pick up his sister during the week....cause she has summer school....in 6th or 7th grade :/.

*shrug* It's a mentality I've learned and had reinforced because, despite your arguments fro...fighters are the only genre in terms of competitive e-sports where using 'cheap' or 'abusive' tactics isn't nearly as frowned upon or punished. That's fine, it's apart of the community, but it is one aspect that, in some ways, is really sad.

I wasn't really arguring just trying to make sure I wasn't muddling the point I was trying to say ^^;.

I think I'll stay with this mindset. It works, I'm happy with it, and I know there's more than just fighters for competitive scenes if I reaaallly want to avoid 'cheap'. I'm a masochist (aren't all gamers) so that's why I stay n deal with 'cheap' tactics :p.

EDIT: Dear god suyon that was a train wreck...Something tells me you've been up as long as me, but you don't function nearly as well as I do...

EDIT: King - Oh yeah...forgot bout fei long. I heard he n madoka or w/e her name is got buffed in AE...I don't know WHY, they were already ****in powerful enough in Super 4 -.-

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
I was right. As of right now, I'm officially unemployed. So if anyone wants to practice for Kiest's tourney or anything this week let me know. I don't have much to do aside from sending out resumes.

Also,

yun isnt even the best character in AE, fei long is.
This. :cool:

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
SHUT UP ARGENT YOU DAMNED FEI LONG USER! I WILL BEAT YOU ONE DAY! I WILL SMASH MY HOMEGIRL'S JAPANESE SCHOOL GIRL BUTT ON YOUR FEI'S FACE!

I'm free today argent. Swing over. Bring dominion. Got another friend comin too :)

edit: and he plays brawl so...

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
It was more her ****ing palm thrust. Damn thing is annoying as hell. Charges across the entire bloody screen in half a second, and christ the stun the computer got doin that **** was insane...

EDIT: In regards to AE, I mentioned her cause I was told she's actually REALLY strong now...Truth or false?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
God...Damn...Amun Ra....DAMN YOUUUUU TO HEEEELLLLL RAAAAAAAA!
Not as bad as Beta Engineer though....
Do you mean beta as in when he first came out or when the game itself was in beta? I really only just got back into HoN recently, but used to play it a lot in beta, and I remember scout, Pred, Pudge (I think that's his name? The hook dude), and Chronos being RIDICULOUS back then. Since I've gotten back into it, Amun Ra has been my only complaint.

I'm glad Flint and Hag have gotten better since Beta though. I loved those heroes, but they used to suck so bad...

@ the SF stuff: *Shrug* As I said, I don't know much about the game. I don't even know which one Fei Long is to be honest XD
Makoto is pretty good though from what I hear/see. I hear our Abel user ***** about her quite a bit, as well as how his char got nerfed.

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Fei long is the bruce lee look-a-like.
-----------
Flint and Hag have ALWAYS been strong, even in beta. Dunno wut ur on bout. The problem with flint is that he's a major glass cannon, and there were still too many idiots in beta. Still are now, but it's gotten better.
Pudge = Devourer.
Chronos is only ridiculous if you let him farm. His earlier skills were actually a bit weaker on average than these due to how their randomness worked.
Scout's always been well received, and he's gone through sooo many changes.
Predator has also been a relatively stable mainstay of carry goodness.
Enginner came out like...4-6 months before official public release. His turret's statistics were affected by certain weapons that the engineer held. It's been so long and I never paid much attention to it, but from what I iirc, certain items would either be allowed in it's inventory, or would show in it's inventory, or would show if it was on the right spot on the engy's. I dont really remember, all I know is the turret was hella OP combined with the field. Then the turret was nerfed into the ground, and now the field is a pain in the ***. The techie mines from dota that are on him are new however....and iirc there's a much smaller limit on how many of these he can have compared to the dota version....

EDIT: pudge is another main stay. The only difference is they buffed his hook in post release. It went from scaling range like Pudge to constant 1000 range (its actually a lil shorter or longer or slower/faster than the original pudge and even the beta devourer...cant remember which of those 2 statistics changed though...)

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Sole: how early/late?
I work friday from 4:30 til close (10:30) unless its not busy (anywhere from 9-10pm instead of 10:30 really).
I miss your goofy smashfests/spontaneous hang out days.
....JENGA!

And lol @ Suyon. Best post of this convo so far :'D Mad props.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Alright guys and gals, we need to get more smashfests going and train more often. There's a reason Texas is so good and it's because their community is so close knit (and they live further from each other than we do) and they practice a lot. Even their random players are well above a good portion of the Ohio scene, and it wasn't easy to keep up with their peer level players at all. We gots work to do.

Blue Rouge, I think I'm going to the tournament Saturday. I'll probably be dead tired going but hell, it worth seeing you guys as well. I already have a ride so don't worry about me either. I'll be going with a friend whos really into Street Figther and Marvel.

KB - you better be there because we have a grudge match ready to happen in MvC3. I gotta see what you're team is made of! ^_^

solecalibur

Smash Master
Yah smashfest friday, details later but ill probly kick out ppl at 1 unless I'm driving you the next day.

Jiffyboob

Smash Lord
If Argent isn't taking anyone he could pick up links and Suyon and drive down to Canton.... if Argent wanted too. Then I could drive to and fro.

Argent?

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
If Argent isn't taking anyone he could pick up links and Suyon and drive down to Canton.... if Argent wanted too. Then I could drive to and fro.
That'd be fine. What time were you guys planning on leaving?

Alright guys and gals, we need to get more smashfests going and train more often.
What the heck, KB? Where were you all those times I was trying to host smashfests? And what about those times I said, "We need to get together and play. I'm not that far from you now that I'm in Cleveland." I followed up on that once or twice, and you never said anything to me about it again. So I've been trying to step it up. Where have you been? :glare:

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
That'd be fine. What time were you guys planning on leaving?

What the heck, KB? Where were you all those times I was trying to host smashfests? And what about those times I said, "We need to get together and play. I'm not that far from you now that I'm in Cleveland." I followed up on that once or twice, and you never said anything to me about it again. So I've been trying to step it up. Where have you been? :glare:
Girlfriend good sir, girlfriend.

I'm able to step it up now though.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
You know, I can't help but laugh. I've seen us all say this same stuff for the last year and a half, and it always ends the same way. You'll get 1-2 good smashfests, then everyone will john out again.

Beegs, we need to get some MVC3 in at OUGA.

Top Bottom