• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NEOH Thread - OP updated what?????

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
No. Yu Gi Oh is bad and hasn't been good in years.
I play Magic though. Far more balanced and enjoyable.
EDIT: I will say I still enjoy the original yugioh series n I still enjoy all the shows n games prior to bout....uh...i think bout the end of battle city? Whenever that was...By that time, in the IRL card game, I started seeing legal cards that did like 2 or 3 or 4k damage in one turn :/....Without needing sacrifices...or cards that could be buffed to 1 shot you in the first 2 or 3 turns :/

solecalibur

Smash Master
Lol magic more balanced?
yugioh acutally has a metagame compared to back then when my beatdown exodia deck would take 2nd in my county back then, or other various GIMICY decks

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
It's more balanced in a lot of ways, yes. For one, there is not a single card or deck in all of magic that can end the game in 1, 2, or 3 turns. Granted, there ARE decks that by 3-6 aim at early victories or early game gaps in an effort to improve their late game or get more safety to try and further build up the deck. But those decks can often be overcome by a simple counter or remove. Being aggressive early game against those decks can often help as well. Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect, but the game is best balanced if you play cards from one block against cards of the same block. I don't necessarily like it myself, but it is a good way of doing it, and it's worked for the past 15 years or so...so...Yeah, some/a lot of decks and players, especially newer players and newbie decks, tend to sit, turtle, not be offensive, or try to stock pile, and that's why they lose...and some decks are just late starters (or not built right, thus CAUSING them to take a while to get going). Obviously they're not the best at playing early game decks, but that's a risk you take. Just like playing an early game deck will cost you the game if they can defend it relatively well.
An early game deck, if headed off by a mid game deck, will probably lose if they're of equal skill.
An end game deck with early game gap creating cards might lose if their early game protection is beat by another end game deck.
It's all about risk vs reward, like soooo many other games. But I digress...
EDIT: Looked up some stuff for yugioh...Raigeki and Snatch Steal are banned from tournament play? Lawlwut? 'Waaaaaah my monster cards all died from a spell I couldve countered with a spell card or trap. OP! Ban!' Snatch Steal is banned? You gain 1k of health for every turn the enemy has your monster card...Now assuming you have a half decent deck, you could destroy that monster via traps or spells or defense or what have you without taking significant damage. And if one monster card from your deck can end your own deck...Then your deck is hardly balanced enough to go up against other people if it's that lacking in options...Meh. To each his own....I don't like YuGiOh anymore, but it still draws in money, so someone still plays it....
Ya know what card game I've not seen played in forever? Pokemon xD (AKA Magic Junior xP)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I'm hosting a smashfest Tuesday at 4.

Oh and Lokii, like I said at Pools pools, if I consider the work good, I don't mind throwing you a few extra dollars.

Denzi

Smash Master
You're bad.

Magic is (possibly) slightly more balanced because it goes in set rotation, which is a stupid concept to begin with, because it forces you to drop money on the game to stay competitive. Yugioh has a list of banned, limited, and semi limited cards (most of which are old) that updates every 6 months, keeping the game from getting stagnant as well as preventing the same decks to pick up wins at championships.

Now for the cards you mentioned:

'Waaaaaah my monster cards all died from a spell I couldve countered with a spell card or trap. OP! Ban!'
Yes, that's exactly right. A card that can completely annihilate a field that took your opponent turns to build up with no drawbacks whatsoever is ridiculous, not to mention it promotes the luck aspect of the game. As for it being stopped by another spell or trap, if you have to have a card in your deck specifically to stop just one other card, the card you need to stop is only proven more overpowered.

Snatch Steal is banned? You gain 1k of health for every turn the enemy has your monster card...Now assuming you have a half decent deck, you could destroy that monster via traps or spells or defense or what have you without taking significant damage.
This card was often used in Simochi/Nurse burn, and by their effects you would take your opponent's monster and they would lose 1k life per turn. This card also allows you to acquire a tribute monster at no cost whatsoever (as you would tribute it before your opps standby phase), and it allows you to clear the way for a game winning swing during the late game. You could also combo it with book of moon, a commonly played card, allowing you to keep the monster without helping your opponent.

If you have any more complaints let me know.

Also it looks like I was just shut down by Fro.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Lol my bad Denzi. Would have announced it earlier but my internet was out for a few days.
I host mine either Tues or Thurs every week.

Usually text ppl to let them know, since no one seems to care when I post them, and Wiinet sucks for constantly updating stuff.

Denzi

Smash Master
Lol my bad Denzi. Would have announced it earlier but my internet was out for a few days.
I host mine either Tues or Thurs every week.

Usually text ppl to let them know, since no one seems to care when I post them, and Wiinet sucks for constantly updating stuff.

Lol no big deal.

I'll probably have one on Wednesday anyway, for people who can't make it to yours (or who just feel like going to two).

Bead

Smash Ace
Denzi, I play Yugioh, well at least used to. I have a pimped out deck but stopped at pharonic guardian or something like that. I'll play you in a $1 MM but the thing is, 25% of my deck is illegal according to Sil. He's got some frog deck or w/e that is 1st tier or something. It was fun playing against him because his deck was **** and mine was old school ****. The matches came REALLY close. I used to go to tournaments at Diversions and Mr cards and comics. At Diversions I would usually win but they stopped hosting so I stopped. At Mr C&C i would usually place in top 5 out of like 40.

I also play Magic. Used to have a pretty sweet goblin deck around 2001 but stopped because people raged and destroyed my deck =( but I picked it up last year because my two best buddies started to get into it.

I dont know anything about the current Yugioh meta but from what Sil has told me it sounds pretty sweet. Yugioh is alot faster pace game than MTG which is nice. MTG can get SUPER boring because it takes so long. But yeah, MTG balances in "patches" with each new set and just forces you to dish out more money which is a big =( Both have a specific taste and just depends on what you like imo. Brawl vs melee kinda thing. One is faster and can combo hardcore and the other is slower and more thought out.

@king - smash before i leave, yes?

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Welcome back, King :o

Yaay for 2 smashfests this week!!~ -updates the OP-

Edit: updated the OP to make it more streamlined...kinda.

Moar edit: Major favors to ask of all of you! Major tournaments coming up, whether they be local or out of state...if they seem like tournaments that NEOH would go to, post the links here! I'm compiling tournament lists for the OP

Also, since i randomly decided to redo the OP, gonna make a new banner. Everyone make a list for the 3 characters that you'd like to see on the new banner. Then we'll vote or something. Idk. Gogogo!

Anyone have any suggestions on things to add to the OP?
Suggestions for this thread in general?
Etc?

Also, stop fighting.

Denzi

Smash Master
Not really fighting.

@Bead: I've played against some old school decks before, so I don't really care if you have some banned cards. $1 MM sounds fine, as long as you aren't going to Yata-Lock -> Victory Dragon me or draw through your entire deck for Exodia 1st turn or anything.

Bead

Smash Ace
Not really fighting.

@Bead: I've played against some old school decks before, so I don't really care if you have some banned cards. $1 MM sounds fine, as long as you aren't going to Yata-Lock -> Victory Dragon me or draw through your entire deck for Exodia 1st turn or anything.
I would love Yata but it is WAAAAY to cheap. It's just a classic beatdown deck pretty much
Lots of really good cards thrown together pretty much

@bead sure

however i just realized i no longer have my TV so we need to find somewhere to play
I has 2 tv's =p

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
King, where DO you live? Cause they're all far from me, and if they're far from you, you're either as far from me, twice as far, or close to me...

EDIT: Sorry if it seems like fighting. We both just really love our chosen interests it seems :p.
And I kind of agree with the slow/fast paced thing, kind of dont.

You haven't seen fast paced (and broken as all hell) till you've seen a squirrel deck. Old school late 90s/early 00s squirrel deck. Within 5-10 turns, you could a few, if not dozens or hundreds of squirrels, with flying, I believe possibly shroud, and all other sorts of nice little OP goodies. Totally banned, but it's one of those 'FOR LULZ' decks. I'm sorry, but there is NOTHING funnier than someone pulling infinite squirrels out on you to attack...Course, if they're only 1/1 or 2/2 or so, and you happen to have 2-4 bloatflys + some negative counters....And the right combination of cards...You could kill every card and do infinite damage to them via that xD.

Legally though, goblins are fast paced, interrupt decks can be made fast paced...Elf decks are slower but far more deadly...uh...Artifacts tend to focus on decreasing the cost of artifact cards ('with this card out, artifacts cost (1) less to play', and since all artifacts use almost exclusively colorless mana, its reducing the total mana of EVERY artifact practically...get enough cards to do that, and you can have artifact cards that cost 0, instead of 6 or 7 xD...Takes A LONG time to get there though...)
Goblins are about getting out fast, and attacking fast.
Interrupts are bout stopping your enemy fast and early, usually in anticipation of you getting some big bads end game and/or milling them or just shutting them down and killing them with your crappy tims n such....
Elf decks are about relying on your elves for mana, defense and offense.
As far as fast paced, that depends on how quickly people think on their decisions and plans and strats. I've seen yu gi oh games take 30+ minutes (usually took 20-40 minimum for me, much like magic, but since that was almost 7 years or so ago, im sure it's changed in its play speed since then) and I've seen magic games end in 10 minutes because of a forfeit due to bad judgement on drawing a hand full of mana screw or creature screw (little to no lands/creatures) or due to early game shutdown/rush. *shrug*. Also, in my opinion...Yu gi oh doesn't really combo. Again, maybe it's changed...but I never saw more than 1 or 2 traps and spells, maybe 3 or 4 tops, come out in a single turn from yu gi oh. If it was past 1 or 2 in a turn, it usually meant 2 or more players were countering counters or w/e...But in magic? It's not uncommon to see a counter creature countered by a counter counter countered by a counter countered by a creature's sacrifice to counter ability, etc. etc. ;). Also not uncommon to see people flash buff their own creatures in response to a
-3/-3 'buff'/'debuff' card so the creature in question survives or isn't severely weakened.
To each his own.
I will admit the 'constant need to spend money' can be a problem (it frustrates even me)if you want to remain entirely 'tournament legal' in regards to type 2, but type 1 tournaments still exist, and they're still relatively balanced. Most of the cheese decks in mtg are either type 1 and require specific cards to win, in which case...any deck with the right cards can secure a win early game in played right......or they're type 1 and/or silly cards from the uh...I believe it's called unhinged series...Either t hat or they're just banned cards.
In general though...Yu Gi Oh bans SO MANY deck combos and cards for being 'OP' when THEY'RE the ones who made the cards. MTG bans, yes, but generally they're banned if they already have abilities or effects listed as not tournament legal in the rules...or if they're specifically released BECAUSE they're not for tournaments...Far less cards are banned in MTG from what I've gathered then in Yu Gi Oh.
I will admit, destroying just your enemy's side of the field is not balanced. But then again, MTG has a card like it, but it IS balanced. 'Kills all creatures. They can't be regenerated.' Basically, if it's on the field and it's a creature, it's dead. Period. There's also one that simply returns them to your hand...Course, with MTG, unless you have the 'unlimited hand size' card...You will be doing a LOT of discarding if someone pulls that and you have a lot of creature cards :p.

In the end...different strokes for different folks. Both games can play quickly or slowly, and while it's not a perfect analogy...I think the brawl v melee analogy, considering where we are n what we play, fits :p.

Also just wanna say...I generally only buy cards every few months or so, so I'm rarely 'up to date' for long, but my cards are still fine, they can still relatively hold up fine against other enemy cards. Is it perfect? No. Could I easily go to one of my many other decks to combat my brother's newer decks? Yes. Could I buy or get him to buy me a few boosters or a deck or two to alleviate the issue? Yes.
Trust me, I would know a few things bout being cheap in card games....
I play an overkill deck, and my specialty is merfolk, with hopefulness of creating a versatile changeling deck one day....You haven't seen cheap till you've seen a merfolk/fairy mill combo deck...or a merfolk/fairy combat combo deck...Likewise, remove just a few blocks (cards) from my lineup, be it removed from game or killed or discarded, and my building (deck/strategy) crumbles...Course, with changelings and versatile types like Merfolk...even with a deck specialty, within that deck, my strat could be changed. I still have milling cards n abilities even in my combat deck. Diversion from the real threat as it were, but still deadly...I could also just slip in my 15 extra cards from my sidedeck and wing it. I used to do that until my bro n friend convinced me to just keep a sidedeck n lower my versatility a lil bit so my deck could be a bit more specialized...It's nice, but there are times I find I wish i had my milling cards when fighting with hordes of merfolk wizard tokens xD
(Screw Goblin cards. Screw them with a giant fiery passion...Them and elf decks and fairy decks and artifact decks and Niz Mizzet and tim decks and fffff hate them...why must they pick on my poor merfolk :( )

EDIT:
tl;dr: Upon reading this, I realized it was a wall of text. I just hit everyone who read this for 9999.

clowsui

Smash Legend
I just wanted to say that NEOH is lucky to have a queen like Lokii. It's all thanks to her I won a lot of my games during Nope's Monthly ;p

Denzi

Smash Master
If we're talking Banned, Yu-Gi-Oh! totally beats out MTG. Turn one wins everywhere.

@Bead: Sounds good then.

Colwsui: CUSTOM CONTROLS SON. Get at mt L-Specials.

King~

Smash Champion
@eon: twinsburg, everyone is like more than 40 minutes from me =/

if i had a job and/or money id be up for the drive but i dont

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Yeah, that's my issue with yugioh. Magic's banned stuff tends to mostly be things that are just outright silly (You win the game if your fingers get the card greasy from junk food...If there are food crumbs on this card, you gain such n such or do such n such etc. etc....Those are just the unhinged though xD) Banned cards...Oooh boy uh...Let's see, beyond certain cards which are limited to 1 period or none at all. ALL cards have a 4 card limit except for land, unless they have less as stated about that card specifically.

In terms of banned, MTG may not have as many 1 turn winners, but it has it's fair share of cheese.
My issue with yugioh is the number of monster cards that have like 2 or 3k attack for a 4 star or under card. Wait a turn, put a spell buff or 2 on him, oop, you have 4k attack. Guess what, if your opponent doesnt have a monster card, they lose. If they do, that card's probably dead! Now maybe that's changed, but I saw that card like..4 years ago or so, back when I had just started magic back up...
It had like 2600 or 3000 or something attack, and I wanna say...400 or 800 or 1200 defense....Was a 4 star (MMMAYBE a 5 star...) Call me crazy, but that high of a damage that early in the game...yuck :/

EDIT: Ah...Im near Argent and Fei myself (Cleveland)...bleh T_T

Denzi

Smash Master
I can't think of a 4 star with over 2400 attack, but they all have restrictions on them. And the game must've changed from what you're thinking, because it'd be really no big deal anyway. And hell, it's never really been a problem, because even back then you could Kaibaman -> Blue Eyes for a turn one 3000 attacker.

Silly kids trying to out-Yugi me. I just won my local today.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
PARTY AT DENZI'S AT 4 ON WEDNESDAY!
...uh...
i mean...
Denzi just texted me the time. Updatin teh OP. Again.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I was quite competent in Yugioh back in the day. Won a few locals but nothing really beyond that. My deck of choice was admittedly one of those gimmicky beatdown decks (raigeki, harpies feather duster, gemini elves, etc.) but I didn't know it at the time seeing as it was a popular arrangement to use.

I often switched over to my Gravekeeper deck because it was fun to use and I liked centering my play around the Necrovalley field card.

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Well, what's the starting life point total then? :/....
Also yeah It's not hard to out yugi me nowadays. Except from what I hear n see, I really don't know jack. I knew a ****ton at it's birth though. It was soooo refreshing, and at the time I enjoyed it far more than Magic (heh...I just realized it came out round the time as Kingdom Hearts 1 xD...I remember playing both of them while a baby sitter babysat me....she was a family friend. Oooooh the memories...) But alas, I grey distant and eventually stopped. I still have my cards though ^^...Id like to try it again sometime, but...Just too used to magic ya know? XD
EDIT: 8k?...jesus, it has been awhile...I swear I remember when it used to be 4k....Or maybe it was just the regular settings in my area...? (Coulda swore the rulebooks used to say 4k...I'll have to see if I can find an old one...)

Denzi

Smash Master
They just got a few new combo cards. They have a monster that can tribute another GK to destroy an opponent's card, a monster that, when sent to the grave will let you add a GK with 1500 or less Def from your deck to your hand(ie Gravekeeper's Commandant), and a spell that lets you add 2 GK monsters from your grave to your hand (and it isn't negated by Necrovalley). Gravekeeper's visionary is also pretty good, as it's a 2000 attack one-tribute monster that gets an extra 200 atk for every GK in your grave, and when it would be destroyed you can discard a Gravekeeper to keep it alive (and give it 200 extra atk).

I think I know too much.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Man, wish I didn't work Wed... Ah well, I'll be racking up that OT instead.

Heh, we all have our passions. I could tell you way too much about my instrument for example (well, and Brawl.), and never get me started on literature/writing in general.

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
English nut as well here. As far as general lit knowledge goes though...I'm still not quite up to snuff there. I play viola, but with a 3 year break and constantly forced to play it...I haven't been enjoying it as much recently as I wish I could in earlier years :/A
EDIT: I think it's a matter of earning back my confidence of playing...I think that's what is messing up my notes the most right now....

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Sounds like you just hit a plateau. While those suck, persevere and you'll find that it'll be worth it. Overcoming a plateau is one of the best feelings there is IMO.

Been playing bass about 13 years myself. Once you get to the point where hitting notes is all muscle memory, confidence or lack thereof won't be enough to make you miss notes.

Just keep in mind though, the main difference between an amateur and a professional musician isn't that the professional doesn't make mistakes, it's that the professional becomes so good at covering up his mistakes that no one can tell he made one.

Eon the Wolf

Smash Ace
NNID
Ethinial
Well, the fact that the section leader seems to get on my ***, and only my ***, about things, especially when I've had a 3 year break, is rather frustrating. I tend to be fine playing the songs, for the most part, when no one's paying attention, but times comes for everyone to watch me or hear me, and all of a sudden I screw up on simple things. Never used to do that, so I think confidence has a tiny bit to do with it...Trying to get over it though.

Top Bottom