• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Milk Bar [Archived]

Status
Not open for further replies.

c3gill

Smash Ace
does anyone else think that the nocturne of shadow and requiem of spirit should have switched, or even better changed, names?

while a nocturne is supposed to refrence night (and i get that), a requiem is literally a song for the dead.

they could have chosen a different type of song for the "of spirit"- nothing is dead in the spirit temple, quite the contrary actually. Even the pots in that place attack you!

Requiem of Shadow is FITTING.

requiem of spirit? doesnt really make sense.

Scott!

Smash Lord
While I see your point, and it's a good one, here's why i think it should be the way it is. These two songs, the Nocturne of Shadow and Requiem of Spirit, are for the Shadow and Spirit Temples respectively. Nocturne = night, which is essentially shadow. The requiem is for the spirits referenced in the name of the temple itself.

This of course is making me wonder how the Hylians see their dead. Do they have souls? It would seem that they think so, since there is this Requiem of Spirit. I wonder if they believe that the soul and body are separated at death, or something like that. They protect the bodies in the Shadow Temple, but more in memory of the fallen than to protect them in the afterlife in some way. Their spirits are gone elsewhere, and are honored in the Spirit Temple. It's all conjecture, of course, but I wonder.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
BTW, I've been a little out of the look recently.

Have they revealed any information yet about Zelda Wii?

Spire

III
BRoomer
While I see your point, and it's a good one, here's why i think it should be the way it is. These two songs, the Nocturne of Shadow and Requiem of Spirit, are for the Shadow and Spirit Temples respectively. Nocturne = night, which is essentially shadow. The requiem is for the spirits referenced in the name of the temple itself.

This of course is making me wonder how the Hylians see their dead. Do they have souls? It would seem that they think so, since there is this Requiem of Spirit. I wonder if they believe that the soul and body are separated at death, or something like that. They protect the bodies in the Shadow Temple, but more in memory of the fallen than to protect them in the afterlife in some way. Their spirits are gone elsewhere, and are honored in the Spirit Temple. It's all conjecture, of course, but I wonder.
Well, it's also a debate between what simply sounds better. We know that there have been countless mistranslations in Zelda, but aside from that, "Nocturne of Shadow" and "Requiem of Spirit" just work. They just work.

Nocturne of Spirit and Requiem of Shadow? Not so much. It's like the "Steel" type in Pokemon. Technically, it should be metal, so as to not exclude every other metal, but Steel just sounds so much better.

c3gill

Smash Ace
Well, it's also a debate between what simply sounds better. We know that there have been countless mistranslations in Zelda, but aside from that, "Nocturne of Shadow" and "Requiem of Spirit" just work. They just work.

Nocturne of Spirit and Requiem of Shadow? Not so much. It's like the "Steel" type in Pokemon. Technically, it should be metal, so as to not exclude every other metal, but Steel just sounds so much better.
this is why i brought of changing the names completely. Requiem of Shadow isnt bad- what about for Spirit though? any ideas.

I kinda like Samba of Spirit, but i dont think the idea of a samba goes well with the omnious feel of the Spirit Temple.

Spire

III
BRoomer
this is why i brought of changing the names completely. Requiem of Shadow isnt bad- what about for Spirit though? any ideas.

I kinda like Samba of Spirit, but i dont think the idea of a samba goes well with the omnious feel of the Spirit Temple.
There's absolutely no reason why we should even consider "changing" it. What are you going to do, mail Nintendo about the issue? This will go absolutely no where.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I agree with Spire on this one. The Nocturne of Shadow makes sense because we are talking about night, and shadow fits the theme of night very well. Requiem of Spirit makes sense as well, sense a spirit is usually referred to as what follows death. A requiem to the spirits makes very much sense, actually. On the other hand, Requiem of Shadow makes no sense because playing a requiem (a song for the dead) to the night cancels out its own meaning, because you're playing a type of song meant to be played for the dead to the night, if you know what I mean. Both temples are built in honor of the dead, so it is simply a matter of deciding which is spirit and which is shadow. And shadow fits the graveyard, not the desert, right? So the names they went with in the end were the most accurate.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Actually, I think Requiem of Spirit is redundant. A requiem, by definition, is a funeral song, so calling something a requiem of spirit is repeating yourself. Same with nocturne of shadow - Nocturnes are inspired by the night anyway. So it's the funural song of spirit and song inspired by night of shadow.

You could just call them "The Requiem" and "The Nocturne."

Of course, it's not as redundant as Porkie of Porkie of Porkie of Porkie

Spire

III
BRoomer
Actually, I think Requiem of Spirit is redundant. A requiem, by definition, is a funeral song, so calling something a requiem of spirit is repeating yourself. Same with nocturne of shadow - Nocturnes are inspired by the night anyway. So it's the funural song of spirit and song inspired by night of shadow.

You could just call them "The Requiem" and "The Nocturne."

Of course, it's not as redundant as Porkie of Porkie of Porkie of Porkie
No, Requiem of Spirit is not redundant. A requiem - a funeral song - is played for those passing. The Shadow Temple was not created to celebrate those that are passing from the world of the living to the afterlife, it is made for corpses to rest and rot in. It is a tomb. The Spirit Temple serves as a vessel to move spirits, not corpses. The Spirit Temple is thematic in mirrors, conceptually reflecting the world of life in the afterlife. They are meant for the individual to see themselves in a different light - as a spirit. So, I'd say that the verdict is:

Requiem of Spirit and Nocturne of Shadow are fine as is. Can we end this bizarre argument?

Wannabe Zombie

Smash Rookie
Regarding the new Zelda Wii concept art. I've got a weird feeling that the reason Link doesn't have the Master Sword in his possession is because that other character IS the Master Sword. But, with 249 pages in this thread, that's probably already been said lol

Spire

III
BRoomer
Regarding the new Zelda Wii concept art. I've got a weird feeling that the reason Link doesn't have the Master Sword in his possession is because that other character IS the Master Sword. But, with 249 pages in this thread, that's probably already been said lol
And Bingo was his name-o! Yeah, we spoke about it for ages (or was that pages*?). Anyways, welcome to the Zelda Thread Wannabe Zombie :)

Wannabe Zombie

Smash Rookie
lol I knew it, and thanks. But, he/she/it looks like the Fairy Queen from Wind Waker. I could be wrong, which is a possibility, but maybe it's involved with Wind Waker somehow lul

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
lol I knew it, and thanks. But, he/she/it looks like the Fairy Queen from Wind Waker. I could be wrong, which is a possibility, but maybe it's involved with Wind Waker somehow lul
Yeah we've said that too, lolol.

Someone posted a diagram showing which parts of the woman matched up with the parts of the Master Sword, to show how she looked like it. They were eerily similar, down to the exact same patterns on her legs and the patterns on the Sword's hilt.

Edit: Here it is

Wannabe Zombie

Smash Rookie
lol ****. Well, with a forum this huge I shoulda figured everyone threw out everything. I'm just hoping that this involves the flooding of Hyrule somewhow, I've always found that story more compelling than the others. And it wouldn't hurt if there was a sad ending for once too.

Edit: Dang, I never noticed many similarites, just the diamond and the blue dress... thing.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Yeah, we have discussed just about everything Zelda-related here, and half of it twice. If you want to see all the debate and stuff about the sword-girl theory, it went down about 20 pages ago, if you use the 15-posts-a-page set-up.

Concerning the picture above, I still can't help but see it as the other way around. I see her head as the pommel-thing, her neck as the handle, her cloak as the rest of the hilt, with the jewel matching the jewel on the hilt in approximate location as well as shape, and then her legs as the sword.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
No, Requiem of Spirit is not redundant. A requiem - a funeral song - is played for those passing. The Shadow Temple was not created to celebrate those that are passing from the world of the living to the afterlife, it is made for corpses to rest and rot in. It is a tomb. The Spirit Temple serves as a vessel to move spirits, not corpses. The Spirit Temple is thematic in mirrors, conceptually reflecting the world of life in the afterlife. They are meant for the individual to see themselves in a different light - as a spirit. So, I'd say that the verdict is:

Requiem of Spirit and Nocturne of Shadow are fine as is. Can we end this bizarre argument?
But I like this bizarre arguement.

I'm a little confused about the spirit and shadow temples now, but the Nocturne of Shadow literally means "The Song inspired by night of shadow." The Requiem of spirit also - a requiem is played for the passage of souls to the afterlife, and adding "of spirit" seems to just add a reference to spirit of a word that already refers to the passage of souls.

It seems a little redundant to me. It sounds awesome to say, though.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Now that I think about it, why doesn't LoZ get a forum of its own? I mean, F-Zero has one.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
lol ****. Well, with a forum this huge I shoulda figured everyone threw out everything. I'm just hoping that this involves the flooding of Hyrule somewhow, I've always found that story more compelling than the others. And it wouldn't hurt if there was a sad ending for once too.

Edit: Dang, I never noticed many similarites, just the diamond and the blue dress... thing.
Actually, the flooding of Hyrule was described in WW - the goddesses simply flooded Hyrule to protect the Sacred Realm since Ganondorf had been able to invade it so easily. There was no other adventure after OoT involved, because Link was not reincarnated until the WW years, and Ganon had not returned from his banishment in the Sacred Realm until just before Link had been reincarnated (after Link was warped away to his childhood).

Alzi

Smash Master
Zelda Discussion does need a seperate forum seriously this is serious buisness we deal in here.

I wonder who is going to be the final boss in spirit tracks...

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Zelda Discussion does need a seperate forum seriously this is serious buisness we deal in here.

I wonder who is going to be the final boss in spirit tracks...
Probably Ganon in an F-14 Tomcat jet. It would put Link's Train to shame at first, but don't forget the Tracks he's on are Spiritual. Use this to your advantage in the fight.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
That photo up there comparing her to the Master Sword is so wrong. Let me fix it.

I know it's rushed. I gotta get to class. All the basic shapes are there though.

XACE-K

Smash Master
That photo up there comparing her to the Master Sword is so wrong. Let me fix it.

I know it's rushed. I gotta get to class. All the basic shapes are there though.
The sword is suppossed to be right side up. The marks on the girl's legs are the same as the marks on the Master Sword's hilt.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
So, guys im replaying WW now and I am at the part where u have to gather the triforce shards...I completely forgot what I had to do lol. I had forgotten almost everything about this game...like the fact that makar and the koroks evolved from the kokiri tribe and medli has zora blood. :/ Also, sage laruto's theme is now one of my faves prolly top 11 song material.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
The sword is suppossed to be right side up. The marks on the girl's legs are the same as the marks on the Master Sword's hilt.
In addition, the tip of her head makes a point like the end of the Master Sword's blade.

Then again, the hilt goes down in a similar fashion to the girl's dress...

Ah, forget it. Either way, she's the Master Sword.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Why would it be the right side up? If it's meant to be carried on his back, it will always be point-facing down.

Look at the shape of her cloak in relation to the shape of the "wings" (sorry, I don't know the technical term) on the master sword. They face down, not up, with a yellow jewel in the middle. The legs on a person, like the blade of the sword, are the longest part on the body. Very linear.

Imagine for a second that her neck was abnormally long, and the was the only difference. Would the two shapes not be practically identical?

It makes more sense to me that if anything she'd do damage with her legs instead of her head.

The hips in relation to the triforce is a bit of a jump, I agree, but the slimness or the neck, the outward slop of the head piece and the top of the sword, the jewel in relation to the cloack, etc...

How can you not agree that she's not almost identical to the downward-facing sword? I guess her head does look like a tip in some ways, but check out a larger picture of the master sword from TP. There's a good one on Zelda wiki. Look closely and you'll see that the bottom of the sword (that little nub thing under the handle) has a VERY similar shape to her head piece.

Meh. Either way we're arguing the same thing. I don't see how people would think she's facing upwards though, unless you're basing it on the lighting of her head.

p.s., XACE-K, ROFL @ the profile picture.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Why would it be the right side up? If it's meant to be carried on his back, it will always be point-facing down.

Look at the shape of her cloak in relation to the shape of the "wings" (sorry, I don't know the technical term) on the master sword. They face down, not up, with a yellow jewel in the middle. The legs on a person, like the blade of the sword, are the longest part on the body. Very linear.

Imagine for a second that her neck was abnormally long, and the was the only difference. Would the two shapes not be practically identical?

It makes more sense to me that if anything she'd do damage with her legs instead of her head.

The hips in relation to the triforce is a bit of a jump, I agree, but the slimness or the neck, the outward slop of the head piece and the top of the sword, the jewel in relation to the cloack, etc...

How can you not agree that she's not almost identical to the downward-facing sword? I guess her head does look like a tip in some ways, but check out a larger picture of the master sword from TP. There's a good one on Zelda wiki. Look closely and you'll see that the bottom of the sword (that little nub thing under the handle) has a VERY similar shape to her head piece.

Meh. Either way we're arguing the same thing. I don't see how people would think she's facing upwards though, unless you're basing it on the lighting of her head.

p.s., XACE-K, ROFL @ the profile picture.
Whether the sword is right-side up or upside-down, it still has comparisons to the girl in the picture. I understand your view of it but I find it being more comprable with the sword being right-side up. Just as you said, either way we're arguing the same thing.

And thanks about my avi. :)

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I wonder if all this time the girl in the picture is for artistic demonstration and has nothing to do with the game haha

As for the timeline there is a video where a guy sent a email or letter? to nintendo showing them the user made timeline and a couple videos and nintendo responded saying there is no timeline.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I wonder if all this time the girl in the picture is for artistic demonstration and has nothing to do with the game haha

As for the timeline there is a video where a guy sent a email or letter? to nintendo showing them the user made timeline and a couple videos and nintendo responded saying there is no timeline.
It's funny that you say that...

Ctrl + F to start a serach (assuming you're using Firefox). Then, type in 'timeline'.

Saying that there is no timeline is a bad idea. It makes people not like you here.

EDIT: For good measure, here's the Aonuma interview confirming the split timeline: http://www.thehylia.com/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1173298152&archive=&start_from=&ucat=19

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
You should have a map showing you which islands have shards.

When the Zelda Wii game comes out, I hope they have some very detailed scene of the Master Sword transforming into this girl, that shows us whether the Sword's supposed to be right side up or upside down. lol

But I don't think they will, and will just leave the similarities relatively subtle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom