• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Milk Bar [Archived]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Here's why it's $40: because a lot of people are willing to pay $40. Not everyone, but a lot. They know this because of the unrivaled affection for the title since its original re-release. Ocarina of Time is worth $10 on the Virtual Console and despite myself owning the original N64 version, the GCN Master Quest disc, and the VC version, I therefore paid $10 for the actual game and $30 extra for the ability to play it with new graphics on a 3D handheld system. I was willing to pay that extra $30 because beyond the enhanced graphics and new features, I simply wanted to know what it was like to experience my favorite game of all time again, and in a totally new experience. Money sometimes isn't a question. I had the money to spend, and on Ocarina of Time 3D I happily did - because I knew within that package lied a cartridge that would unlock so much nostalgia.

I'm willing to spend what you'd consider extravagently priced because I have a certain trust in Nintendo. They are a company that continues to produce fantastic products again and again. They bust out classics left and right. Throughout the majority of my life, and the lives of several hundred million others if not more, Nintendo has been a huge influence. I see more kids wearing Mario and other Nintendo shirts than I see Disney anymore. Kids are especially excited for Nintendo games nowadays more so than much else; girls and boys. But I digress. Ocarina of Time 3D is an old game to many and a new to many more. If you're not willing to pay $40, then the ten kids behind you in line who have never played it before or are still young enough to be completely excited for every aspect of it as they had seen their older siblings do years before are certainly willing.

So why is it $40? Because they can profit off that price.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't understand why people use Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass as an excuse to hate on Skyward Sword. <_<

IMO, the handheld zeldas until OoT3DS were all either bad (PH) or 'okay' (ST). But then look at the console games.

OoT was amazing. MM was pretty good. WW and TP were both pretty awesome as well.

Then we know nothing about Skyward Sword, which looks good in content and style, and appears to have a villain who isn't Ganon... which only happened once on the main console titles.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'll just take this moment to rate my Zelda games in order from worst to best:

15. Four Swords
14. Phantom Hourglass
13. Four Swords Adventures
12. Adventure of Link
11. Legend of Zelda
10. Spirit Tracks
9. The Minish Cap
8. Twilight Princess
7. Wind Waker
6. Oracle of Seasons
5. Oracle of Ages
4. A Link to the Past
3. Link's Awakening
2. Majora's Mask
1. Ocarina of Time

Coincidentally, you can see a lot of couples in there. I'll be happy to give Skyward Sword the top spot if it earns it.

etecoon

Smash Hero
link's awakening is better than WW and TP. I haven't gotten around to playing oracles yet but LA alone tells me that being on a handheld is no excuse for how terrible PH is.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
wtf? Link's Awakening and the Oracle games are great. Better than WW or TP for my money.
Probably one of the best games in the series, imo.

There combination of the Zelda formula, but with a spice they could call their own, all coupled with intriguing dungeon concepts, outlandish items well implemented into gameplay (Such as the magnetic gauntlets) and a delicious array of tunes that still a joy to listen to, thrown into a portable package.

I can't see how those games couldn't be considered the cream of the crop.

If I had to personally rate them, here would be my list from best to worst

-A Link to the Past
-Link's Awakening
-Majora's Mask
-Oracle of Seasons
-Ocarina of time
-Oracle of Ages
-Wind Waker
-Minish Cap
-The Legend of Zelda
-Four sword Adventures
-Adventure of Link
-Phantom Hourglass
-Spirit Tracks
-Twilight Princess

Not to say any of these are bad. These are just how I figure them.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I need to go back and play the Oracle games. I was so young when I beat them, I have no idea what I did or what the game was about. I just remember plenty of frustration =/.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
i'm not sure why a Zelda tier list has me so excited, but here we are!

1. Link to the Past
2. Majora's Mask
3. Ocarina of Time
4. Link's Awakening
5. Zelda 1
6. Zelda 2
7. Oracles (can't remember them in enough detail to rate seperately)
8. Wind Waker
9. Minish Cap
9. Twilight Princess
10. Phantom Hourglass
11. Spirit Tracks
70. the CD-I games

and, unless SS is the biggest let down of all time, I have a feeling it will be pushing its way into my top 5

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
1. Majora's Mask
2. Ocarina of Time
3. A Link to the Past
4. Link's Awakening
5. Four Swords Adventures
6. Twilight Princess
7. Oracle of Seasons
8. the Wind Waker
9. Legend of Zelda
10. Adventure of Link

Any other Zelda I have not played or have completed.

Spire

III
BRoomer
#70 lol

Man, the Oracle games were top quality games—and Capcom made 'em. They freakin rocked. Oh man they need to revisit those ideas somehow. Imagine if they remade them using the OoT 3D engine: transforming Holodrum and Labrynna into fully realized 3D worlds. They could include both games on the cartridge, just as OoT 3D contains the Normal and Master Quest adventures.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
That sounds just as awesome to me as seeing a remake of AlttP.

But we all know it will never happen unless some dedicated fans with the talent do it themselves and it doesn't get shot down like Chrono Trigger and Streets of Rage Remake.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I think I may draw Holodrum and Labrynna in the style of OoT's map, or one as OoT and one as MM. Holodrum in OoT style, Labrynna in MM style. No, the MM style is very unattractive. It doesn't feel like Zelda to me at all. A cheap excuse for toilet paper, that's what it is.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I think I may draw Holodrum and Labrynna in the style of OoT's map, or one as OoT and one as MM. Holodrum in OoT style, Labrynna in MM style. No, the MM style is very unattractive. It doesn't feel like Zelda to me at all. A cheap excuse for toilet paper, that's what it is.
What!?

I'm not even sure what you said here, but I think it is a little extreme. MM is not so radically different from OoT as to love one and think the other one is intolerable.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Dude, the MM map style compared to OoT's. I liked what they had going with OoT's map of Hyrule, but Termina's was a huge let down, even at age 10.

Starting to scare me guys. By the looks of it, you'd DIE for that game. Let a man have his opinion without being disappointed. Be GLAD that you have the opinion you do since you so treasure it grandly.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I like both but what I can see is that another game probably shouldn't use MM's style. granted I haven't played oracles yet so I'm not totally sure what you're talking about but MM's map was very unnatural and worked within the narrative of that game, I do see how it would be bad for a more traditional zelda game. but within MM I really can't see anything wrong with it...

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Dude, the MM map style compared to OoT's. I liked what they had going with OoT's map of Hyrule, but Termina's was a huge let down, even at age 10.

Starting to scare me guys. By the looks of it, you'd DIE for that game. Let a man have his opinion without being disappointed. Be GLAD that you have the opinion you do since you so treasure it grandly.
MM's overworld design is very "video-gamey". It seems intentionally designed to have the player constantly realize they are playing in a video game world, not a conceivably "real" fantasy land. It makes it much more like a dreamscape. It's blatantly unreal. I can understand not liking it, definitely... I for one love it. I liked how compact Termina is. It is much more lively and visually stimulating than OoT's miles and miles of barren, flat, featureless land. Given Link's Awakening story, I kinda wish ITS overworld was a little more ridiculous/bizarrely designed like Termina.

but hold on a minute here...I "would DIE for this game" just because I feel that saying the game looks like "a cheap excuse for toilet paper" is a little over the top? Those statements you made are more adamant and emotional than anything I said.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm not talking about the overworld, I'm talking about this:

It feels half-***** and irrelevant to Zelda. Rather than sporting any semblance to cultural patterns, shapes, and markings throughout Termina (mainly Clock Town), it just has a generic border with generic fonts seen elsewhere too much. Compare that map to this:

etecoon

Smash Hero
still not seeing a major problem with that except for how ridiculously off scale it is to what you see in the game, but that's par for the course for the zelda series, we already see how different zelda looks compared to her concept art in skyward sword for instance, there's always been that weird disconnect

at the ninja edit: it seems half ***** because the game indeed was rushed, this was likely something they made in the planning phases and then quickly moved on to other things. a lot of things in MM are rough around the edges and aren't polished like most other zelda games...I don't really object to it because that is MM's identity, it's an impromptu game that overtly reminds you that it is a game every step of the way.

Spire

III
BRoomer
That's no excuse for a horrible looking map when the game prior had a classicaly beautiful one. Maps don't take a year to draw. This looks like it was done over night without any supervision.

etecoon

Smash Hero
edit: nevermind, I do actually agree with you on this. I'm still not particularly BOTHERED by it, but I do see that this could have been improved a lot without much time spent on it. I was using the shortened dev cycle as a justification for it but then I started listening to MM's soundtrack and realized that a lot of it is actually more "difficult" than OoT's. a few cut corners like the area themes being the same composition with different instrumentation, but overall I see a lot more use of unusual time signatures, keys, and other things that would take most composers more time and effort than normal. thinking about it, although the game also only has 4 dungeons, great bay temple and stone tower temple are possibly the most intricately designed dungeons in the series. so it's not like everything in the game suffered from the time constraints, some of the game design was more elaborate than ever

majora_787

Smash Hero
o_O Is the quality of OoT versus MM being judged by their artistic maps? Really? <_<

1. Ocarina of Time
2. Twilight Princess
3. The Wind Waker
4. Majora's Mask
5. Oracle of Ages
6. Spirit Tracks
7. Four Swords Adventures
8. Phantom Hourglass
9. The Legend of Zelda

JUST going off what I've played. But if I remember right... The Adventure of Link, A Link to the Past, and Link's Awakening are all on virtual console...

I dunno how I'll ever get to play Oracle of Seasons, Four Swords, or The Minish Cap.

And I don't see how someone could beat TWO newer, quality adventures. But, you know. I guess I don't need to understand every opinion, considering there are people who think Phantom Hourglass is better than Ocarina of Time. o_O

EDIT: Oracle of Ages, anyway, was good. The best Zelda Handheld I've played. But to be honest, there were just things about it that I didn't like. Partially the atmosphere. But every handheld game had that atmosphere until Phantom Hourglass... r_r

etecoon

Smash Hero
same, my first post was going under the mindset that he was talking in a much more broad sense than what he actually meant

majora_787

Smash Hero
If it's just about those maps, does it really matter? o_O I can enjoy the games perfectly fine without looking at those maps. I mean, sure they're nice to look at sometimes, but... I don't see the importance...

etecoon

Smash Hero
he started talking about it because he was going to draw the oracles maps in those styles, I also missed that detail at first

majora_787

Smash Hero
... Oh. I get it now. O_o Lol I needed to read all of that like five times before I got everything. Okay. I get it.

I forgot how rough it is to Let's Play a Zelda game. x_x God forbid I lose footage and have to start over to make new footage... Ugh.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'll just take this moment to rate my Zelda games in order from worst to best:

15. Four Swords
14. Phantom Hourglass
13. Four Swords Adventures
12. Adventure of Link
11. Legend of Zelda
10. Spirit Tracks
9. The Minish Cap
8. Twilight Princess
7. Wind Waker
6. Oracle of Seasons
5. Oracle of Ages
4. A Link to the Past
3. Link's Awakening
2. Majora's Mask
1. Ocarina of Time

Coincidentally, you can see a lot of couples in there. I'll be happy to give Skyward Sword the top spot if it earns it.
My order is surprisingly similar, but I didn't play the oracle games enough to judge them. My game broke...so I wasn't able to finish it.

I guess if I ever find a used copy

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I know Majora's Mask fans are very vocal, but they could just as well be a vocal minority.

I know I am a huge fan of the series, but a lot of people just skipped over it

etecoon

Smash Hero
MM is hugely popular with the core zelda fanbase, but it doesn't have the pop appeal that OoT or TP do, or even the wind waker to a lesser extent. a MM remake would almost certainly sell enough to be worth nintendo's while, but it will always live in OoT's shadow

I have no intention of ever buying a 3DS so it doesn't matter much to me personally though

Spire

III
BRoomer
Remaking Majora's Mask would be a gamble. The devout fans will surely buy it, but will the general public? They would have to wait a certain amount of time until OoT 3D is no longer fresh, or else sales would suffer immensely. They'd have to come up with a whole new advertising campaign to promote it as well - something convincing enough by today's standards to make money. Blood, gore, sex, drugs, rated M? SURE WHY NOT, EVERYONE DIES AFTER 3 DAYS ANYWAYS.

Also I laughed at that whole map situation hard. gg guys

@majora_787 - it doesn't matter to most, but it does to me. I love maps and always have. I love when a map feels true to the world it represents. I also love when maps are hand drawn without any sense of repetition. OoT's map of Hyrule depicts a land in which every area was given great attention, whereas MM's map of Termina is blotchy and reminds me of generic fantasy PC games from the early-mid 90s. For a series relished for originality, Termina's map sticks out like a sore thumb, despite being tied to what is arguably the most original title in the series.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I don't think a game about the apocalypse should be that hard to market, but as for blood/gore/sex/drugs, I think that grates too much with nintendo's current image. for better or worse they've pretty much become the disney of video games. the people that are into games just for those kinds of visceral experiences...mostly hate nintendo to begin with, they're not buying a 3DS for one game that looks interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom