• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Milk Bar [Archived]

Status
Not open for further replies.
^I could care less about the 3D. Increased power means more in-depth games like a console that is portable.
why is everyone so hooked on the 3ds..
console games ftw.
Because the game boy color games (and most of the gba) were kick arse, so I am hopeful for a repeat. However, the games on the DS were disappointing. And OoT 3DS is not as great as the original (had more exploits).

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
^I could care less about the 3D. Increased power means more in-depth games like a console that is portable.

Because the game boy color games (and most of the gba) were kick arse, so I am hopeful for a repeat. However, the games on the DS were disappointing. And OoT 3DS is not as great as the original (had more exploits).
The original is better because it had less exploits? I mean, unless you're a TAS speed runner (and even then, it's actually a good thing for them) then exploits shouldn't matter to your average gamer.

EDIT: or did I misunderstand your post? Are you saying OoT3DS isn't as good as the original because OoT3DS has less exploits than the original? I wouldn't agree that lack of exploits makes the game "not as good". Bad for speedrunners? Yeah, sure.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The original is better because it had less exploits? I mean, unless you're a TAS speed runner (and even then, it's actually a good thing for them) then exploits shouldn't matter to your average gamer.

EDIT: or did I misunderstand your post? Are you saying OoT3DS isn't as good as the original because OoT3DS has less exploits than the original? I wouldn't agree that lack of exploits makes the game "not as good". Bad for speedrunners? Yeah, sure.
One thing that's worse is I can't turn my Biggoron's Check into a bottle.

At least let me remove it from my inventory

The original N64 had more exploits. The 3DS version has them, but there are fewer of them and less entertaining because of it.

The n64 exploits do not exactly have to be used for speed running. It just makes playing the game more interesting and refreshing if you have played it through multiple times already and are familiar with the game.

Just imagine you no longer have to play the game in the same order as always, and you can get to places more quickly. There is even an element of strategy because attempting one exploit might require you to go visit other places first before doing it. For example, say you want to get that double defence (halves damage & found near ganon castle) as early as possible. You would have to use exploits to get out of kokiri forest, a door of time skip to become an adult, then get into the shadow temple to get hoover boots early. From there with the hoover boots and a superslide with a bomb, you get the double defence. You can even go about beating dodongo or the deku tree with adult link as well.

You do not even need tool assist to do most of them either. With a bit of practice many things become rather easy. The only problem is that some really are very difficult (door of time skip). Anyway, the point is that the N64 version was a good game in it's own right, and with the glitchs/exploits it had, it increased the depth of the game. So to me, the 3DS version isn't really needed and I see no reason for a port since the games are good as is anyway on consoles. I'd rather see another new game like skyward sword to keep things 'fresh'.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Er, the 3DS version isn't a port.

Also, it's portable. There is a whole generation of gamers who a) never played OoT 13 years ago and b) want to play graphically superior remake that is portable, includes a more difficult Master Quest, gyroscope aiming, etc etc etc

So, that's why it is "needed" (in reality, no video game is "needed", these are luxury items), because people are willing to buy it.

You aren't the only gamer in the universe.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I like the 3D effect in the game, the gyroscopic aiming, the increased graphics, master quest after I beat the game (Since I never owned Master Quest), etc.

Though I wish they had added more, instead of staying with the original creative vision. It's good and all, but I HAVE beaten the game so many times I had everything memorized.

Master Quest reminds me. The original Legend of Zelda had a more difficult mode if you named yourself "Zelda". I, for one, name my character after the character in the game. Most people before Smash thought Link's name was Zelda, so I'm wondering how many people never actually played the real version of the original game because they named themselves "Zelda"

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I'm not sure if can post this here but,

I'm in need of help on two things from TP:
☆ Need to know how to beat a 2nd level Star Tent minigame

☆ Don't know where to find Fyle or something to hand over papers to find the twilight mirror.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not sure if can post this here but,

I'm in need of help on two things from TP:
☆ Need to know how to beat a 2nd level Star Tent minigame

☆ Don't know where to find Fyle or something to hand over papers to find the twilight mirror.
Do you have double clawshot? You can't beat it without double clawshot

Spire Edit: You need the item found in one of the last dungeons.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
In about a week and a half from now I'll be playing zelda twilight prince for the first time, fonally got a Wii.
xD

:phone:

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Haha congrats :)
That was one of the first games I got when I got my Wii.
Truth be told, I still haven't beaten it :urg: Play it, take a long break, play some more, take a long break. Eventually I'll get back to it though, hopefully to finish it. It's a solid Zelda game though.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
yesssss, both Zelda 1 and 2 are on the list of 3DS Ambassador games.

y'all ambassadors better use this opportunity to play Zelda 2 with save states. Now you have no excuse to be a vag and not beat it!!!

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I always heard that. I finally sat down and played it about a year or two ago...and freaking loved it.

It's not a perfect game by any means. I'm not sure what drew me and my friend in so much but we basically didn't put it down until we beat it.

I love the combat. It is by far the most intense in the whole series. When you get used to it, it's very fast paced and awesome. Every enemy has a different strategy and if you don't know what you are doing you will get slaughtered.

I love the magic spells and the mini-RPG levelling system. Turning into a fairy is the coolest thing of all time.

I love how gigantic the world was. The entirety of Zelda 1's map fits into a tiny tiny portion of Zelda 2's map. It also has more villages/towns than any of the other games.

The gameover/continue mechanic is its biggest weakness. It is a travesty to start off at the beginning palace when you get a game over no matter what, until the end. That's why having a save state will make the game very fun.

The game is brutal and unforgiving, but that's why it felt so good to make progress.

I love Zelda 2.

The worst game in the series by far is Spirit Tracks. and even that one has some redeeming features.

Phantom Gamer

<font color="#ff00ff">pranked!</font>
I believe the fact that the game was brutal and unforgiving was what made Zelda 2 a turnoff for me.
It was still fairly fun though IIRC when I played it last. I'll get around to it someday.

As for Spirit Tracks I've never played it so I wouldn't know what to think of it.

With the ranking of the Zelda games that people did like months ago I'd like to make a list too, but I haven't played most Zelda games in many years so it's impossible for me to compare and rank them. :(

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
You guys never figured out that if you farmed the Medusa head rip-offs, you could be OP?

I mean, that game was a cakewalk for me after I figured that out.

Sure, towards the end, farming those would take too long, but by luck's grace, they had them again in the final temple.

I thought the game was good. It does have its faults, though.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I believe SS is incorporating some RPG like elements with weapon and shield upgrades.

That article is ok, besides the predictable and tired "HD realistic Zelda" crap. Also, I don't care about the story personally.

I also strongly disagree with the idea that games should become more "cinematic". That kind of philosophy is why gaming sucks *** nowadays. Games should not be more cinematic, they are already trying way too hard to be movies.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
^^ that.
I like the zelda series the way it is, even a little improvement wouldn't be a bad idea, but they shouldn't try too much on it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, I don't mind the same used formula of random guy chosen to go save the world by crawling through dungeons, using specific items, etc.

Still though, all I ask for is more depth and characterization. I'm a story nut, and I see the Zelda franchise with so much potential in that department. While I don't necessarily want to see this completely copied, if people insist on keeping Link mute...making him a character similar to Fallout games where you have options on what you want to say would be pretty neat. It could open different paths, different quests. The only way you can get all of the quests done is if you replay the game and make different decisions with towns folk.

MQ made me care for some of the towns folk, but since then it's been meeehhh.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm not big on it either to be honest, but it seems like a lot of people do enjoy that as it adds "replayability".

Good thing in Fallout, you can create multiple saves rather easily.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I have difficulty replaying a game as massive as fallout 3.

After spending so much time with a single character, it just feels like I'm wasting time with another. Wasting so much time and effort...

Zelda has the just the right amount of length for re-playability for me

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, fallout is one of my favorite series, but even I don't do EVERYTHING in the game. Still though, it's fun to log 60+ hours in a game that immersive.

I just wish Zelda would move in that direction. I see so much potential for it to be a deep and even more engrossing game.

Would be neat if every Mario game had a story of the same level as Paper Mario lol.

Team Ninja ruined Samus' characterization in Other M, but it was still a baby step in the right direction.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Zelda's aspects may advance and adapt in terms of customizational experience but in terms of gameplay, it would have to be the same—with improvements of course.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Next we'll be getting people that want to turn Mario RPG into an MMO with Mushroom Kingdom and Koopa Troop as the two sides

Spire

III
BRoomer
The Mario spinoffs have fantastic stories. There aren't many Zelda spinoffs, less (if any) that retain the nature and archetype of the main series. I would like to see the series tangent into other genres, but I think I'd rather it continue along the same path, containing genre crossovers in mini-games.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Yeah, fallout is one of my favorite series, but even I don't do EVERYTHING in the game. Still though, it's fun to log 60+ hours in a game that immersive.

I just wish Zelda would move in that direction. I see so much potential for it to be a deep and even more engrossing game.

Would be neat if every Mario game had a story of the same level as Paper Mario lol.

Team Ninja ruined Samus' characterization in Other M, but it was still a baby step in the right direction.
Are you saying that adding more plot, no matter how horrendous it is, is inherently a good thing? The only baby steps Other M made were in place, as it mushed in a tub of dookie. Simply focusing on more story is not good by itself. I really don't understand people with your viewpoint, honestly. The greatest, most well-written of video games are still on level with low-level literature and only marginally better than a Hollywood blockbuster. Great game stories are only great because they use the interactivity of the medium to tell a story in a way that other mediums can't. Majora's Mask for instance would make a horrible movie, and as much as people don't want to admit it, so would Metal Gear Solid.

People don't need to work on stories over the gameplay, but rather work on the incorporation of narrative elements into the game's mechanics.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Actually, I've stated before I hated what they did to Samus' character and just that overall story. Nevertheless, I consider it a baby step in the right direction, because it was an ATTEMPT. They botched it pretty bad, but at least Nintendo tried. I wouldn't mind if they tried again, and it really can't get worse than Other M.

As you said, "great game stories are only great because they use the interactivity of the medium..." Well where is that in these past few Zelda games? Talking to that one random towns folk who comes off as creepy, but eh...if I help him, I get to continue going on with my adventure kinda deal? To this day, they have not made Link remotely an interesting character from any perspective. If they don't want assign him a voice that could give us a clue into how he feels, thinks, or why he acts on this or that, then at least do something that would make me give a damn about Link. Fallout has its own thing where your character has several different dialogue options that can be molded based off what you wanna do. Other characters have established personalities that make them alluring as well. Link is just some boring blank slate who nods, screams out whenever he attacks, and saves the world because he's "the chosen one".

I mean, that's just one thing that bothers me. Do I really need to deal with this 15 years from now? "Link! You're the chosen one! Go save the day!" is really all Zelda is to me now. -Go to dungeon, get item, use item to beat boss. Go to next dungeon, get item, use item to beat boss.-

I'm not asking Zelda to be on the level of Metal Gear, Uncharted, or something along those lines...but Nintendo needs to stop doing the same **** over and over. The Metroid series has continued to evolve over the years, even if Other M was horrific from a story perspective, but Zelda is always stuck in the same concept. Mario expands in so many different ways. Galaxy, 64, Sunshine, all those RPGs...Zelda is just...static.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Fallout is not a great demonstration of what you'd like to see in Zelda. Mass Effect is.

(minus the voice aspect of course; Star Wars: KOTOR then.)

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
From a gameplay perspective, I agree 100%. The Zelda formula is staling, but the only game I felt they played it completely safe and took no risks was Twilight Princess. Every other game honestly has tried something different, although the core gameplay design remains the same. I feel the most redundant games in the series are the most popular- OoT and TP. OoT at least has the excuse of being the jump from 2 to 3 dimensions, so it's hard to blame the devs for basically making a miniature LttP in 3D.

I don't really buy that argument from a narrative viewpoint. How are Majora's Mask, the majority of Wind Waker, Link's Awakening, The Oracle Games and now Skyward Sword remotely similar plotwise? I know you're referring more to the "core" games that focus around the Triforce Zelda Link Ganon stuff but again I bring up OoT and TP. OoT is again, the same basic concept of LttP. TP tried to fancy it up with the twilight world plot but I personally think that failed miserably. It's still the same basic crap, and they even ****ed out with Gannondorf appearing at the end.

I like the recurring nature of the games though, generally. The re-appropriation of familiar themes in each of the games is part of why I love the series. I'm excited about Link and Zelda being school students in Skyward Sword. Just like Zelda being a pirate in Wind Waker, or the way Majora's Mask is a looking glass version of OoT (characterwise). It's fun. I've said it before but I like thinking of the series as a legend- each game is a different person's version of the same fundamental concepts.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
oh god yes. I finished twilight princess. And king zant is the best boss I've played in ages...
Now i'll just trade this game and some money for skyward sword. get hyped.

John2k4

The End of an Era
Gamestop gave me 3$ for an old kids party game... of which I don't even remember the name. :p

John2k4

The End of an Era
I usually put the receipt in the game case itself... therefore, it never gets lost. :b:

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'd just hold on to the game. Earn money some way else. TP will probably be fun to replay (GCN version preferably) once you've played through Skyward Sword because of the rhythmic lore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom