• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Metaknight should/will be banned" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
I thought that MK does bad against Peach! But only about 60:40 in Peaches favor.

Her turnips outprioritize the Whorenado and his shuttle loop, ( but only sometimes :confused: I cant figure out what makes them hit past it. Could be the Face/where it hits MK/etc.) Fsmash ***** him, and she can space well with her juicy glide toss.
She can space decently I guess but MK can put up a lot of pressure and Peach would likely have a hard time dealing with it. And how does Fsmash **** MK? Its not really amazingly strong or quick.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I thought that MK does bad against Peach! But only about 60:40 in Peaches favor.

Her turnips outprioritize the Whorenado and his shuttle loop, ( but only sometimes :confused: I cant figure out what makes them hit past it. Could be the Face/where it hits MK/etc.) Fsmash ***** him, and she can space well with her juicy glide toss.
Yeah, Melee Peach.

jk... actually, what you state makes sense as far as the turnips stopping the whorenade (as well as other projectiles, right?), and if fsmash ***** him, that's just awesome.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Final destination is probably the best neutral against MK. Btw why do we have to darken the stage discussion. Just cause Samurai doesn't want to tell us doesn't place a ban on all stage discussion or anything.
Melee's Yoshi Island

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Metaknight is the new melee Sheik.

All the noobs just need to get over it and get better.

I know its annoying but you just need to be very patient with MK.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
yeah, definitely a counterpick. FD would be the best neutral stage if you use a character with a good projectile game, but what if you use a character like Marth or Sonic? To platform (Smashville, BF), or not to platform?

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Pika(in my opinion)has the advantage like 60-40.Cypher is too easy to gimp for pika.Thunder edgeguarding is pretty easy too,Chaingrab,QAC lets him dance around snake a bit.He all round alot more manuverable.

Snake can kill pika quite easily though which is why he doesnt get completly rayped in my opinion.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was thinking the same and also i noticed that

Final Destination. This means if you choose someone like Falco or Snake you can zone him and avoid getting ***** up close. Least from my experience
SamuraiPanda specifically said the stage in question used to be Counterpick/Banned. Now it's just Counterpick. Final Destination has always been Neutral.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was thinking the same and also i noticed that

Final Destination. This means if you choose someone like Falco or Snake you can zone him and avoid getting ***** up close. Least from my experience
SamuraiPanda specifically said the stage in question used to be Counterpick/Banned. Now it's just Counterpick. Final Destination has always been Neutral.

Pika(in my opinion)has the advantage like 60-40.Cypher is too easy to gimp for pika.Thunder edgeguarding is pretty easy too,Chaingrab,QAC lets him dance around snake a bit.He all round alot more manuverable.

Snake can kill pika quite easily though which is why he doesnt get completly rayped in my opinion.
6-4 =/= Counter

No, just no.

Oh, her turnips sometimes go through the March Tornado and Shuttle Loop, yiddie. When they don't, she's a sitting duck. Yes, the Stitchfaces and 16%:ers do have more priority.

Fsmash ***** Meta since when now? Her Glide Toss makes her spacing queen? For what, really? Safe turnips? Meanwhile, she still can't combo, inflict damage fast or KO at lower %s.

Kadiev

Smash Ace
I hate this community and their logic of "mk is beatable so therefore he won't get banned" or "hes not winning every tournament so hes not broken"

If this was the case in every game many banned characters would be playable. Its not about MK winning every tournament its about his style and what makes him.

- Lagless Moves that can be chained to do crazy amounts of damage.
- Dsmash Dsmash Dsmash
- Invulnerable tornado that can be spammed (don't give me that sheild **** if they use it wisely your shield will be small and they can use it over, therefore you would have to run from it and it could just be annoying and not fun to play against. )
- Priority is great for him. He even cancels out his own tornado with his moves.
- Tiny......
- Gimping potential for him is over the top compared to other characters.
- Some characters just get destroyed by him because hes so fast and small.
- Destroys enjoyment of this game. ( I seriously don't think anyone wants to have to keep running and shielding constantly so they can win a match)

This community is ******** so I don't see MK getting banned. Just look at the SBR recommended stage selection list then you will see how stupid people are.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Guys, this will be the third time...

Melee's Yoshi Island.

Simple and plain. Down the lane. And drop it in the drain.

Funny, because the more I look at it, think about it, and play it (as suddenly, I've gained interest in
Melee's Yoshi Island
) the more it makes sense to use as a counterpick against MK. While it doesn't nullify MK's speed, range, or priority, it does reduce his ability to ledge camp and gimp. You wanna beat a MK without using MK? Practice fighting on this stage.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
I hate this community and their logic of "mk is beatable so therefore he won't get banned" or "hes not winning every tournament so hes not broken"

If this was the case in every game many banned characters would be playable. Its not about MK winning every tournament its about his style and what makes him.

- Dsmash Dsmash Dsmash
- Invulnerable tornado that can be spammed (don't give me that sheild **** if they use it wisely your shield will be small and they can use it over, therefore you would have to run from it and it could just be annoying and not fun to play against. )
- Priority is great for him. He even cancels out his own tornado with his moves.
- Tiny......
- Destroys enjoyment of this game. ( I seriously don't think anyone wants to have to keep running and shielding constantly so they can win a match)

This community is ******** so I don't see MK getting banned. Just look at the SBR recommended stage selection list then you will see how stupid people are.
Invulnerable tornado? That kind of invalidates the whole post. For all the characters I use I can think of a way to knock him out of it.

Kadiev

Smash Ace
Invulnerable tornado? That kind of invalidates the whole post. For all the characters I use I can think of a way to knock him out of it.
I do too, but do I want to run constantly to get that move off? I play falco so only my laser and shine works. I have to space myself away from it and when im running and they are right on my *** I can't do anything but run more. Lets not get me started on the other stupid **** thats not banned (grab release, wall infinites, etc...)

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Welcome to competitive fighting games, where "enjoyment" can only be found amongst those who appreciate these type of matches and not amongst the people who "pleh 4 fun." Any arguments that hurt "enjoyment" and enjoyment only need not apply to this thread.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Wouldn't we need two counterpick stages to help against MK? The player can ban 1.
Yeah, but the 2nd would have to be discovered first.

Maybe Green Greens, with the small ceiling?

Kadiev

Smash Ace
Welcome to competitive fighting games, where "enjoyment" can only be found amongst those who appreciate these type of matches and not amongst the people who "pleh 4 fun." Any arguments that hurt "enjoyment" and enjoyment only need not apply to this thread.
I guess in your own ******** world you believe that. People enjoy a game so they play it. If they get competitive they play it still and enjoy it. Just like I did in melee, you make it seem like people just pick a game to get good at so they can make money. So welcome to playing video games son.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I guess in your own ******** world you believe that. People enjoy a game so they play it. If they get competitive they play it still and enjoy it. Just like I did in melee, you make it seem like people just pick a game to get good at so they can make money. So welcome to playing video games son.
But, there is a difference.

You can play for fun, and play for fun competitively (playing for fun, yet trying to win), play competitively for fun (something I kinda do, which is play competitively without much being on the line), or you can play competitively (i.e. tournament, money match), which can be fun if you enjoy playing competitively in that sense. The fun of playing competitively is not the same as just playing for fun.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I do too, but do I want to run constantly to get that move off? I play falco so only my laser and shine works. I have to space myself away from it and when im running and they are right on my *** I can't do anything but run more. Lets not get me started on the other stupid **** thats not banned (grab release, wall infinites, etc...)
You play Falco and you complain about having to shield constantly?

We do not ban things to maximize enjoyment, that's the bottom line here.

Kadiev

Smash Ace
But, there is a difference.

You can play for fun, and play for fun competitively (playing for fun, yet trying to win), play competitively for fun (something I kinda do, which is play competitively without much being on the line), or you can play competitively (i.e. tournament, money match), which can be fun if you enjoy playing competitively in that sense. The fun of playing competitively is not the same as just playing for fun.
I understand your point i am just saying top players enjoy the game. Its not like ill just say hey, gonna go pick up gunbound and play it competitively even though I think that game is stupid and horrible but you know what ill just get good to get some money.

Kadiev

Smash Ace
You play Falco and you complain about having to shield constantly?

We do not ban things to maximize enjoyment, that's the bottom line here.

Apparently you don't read my things through and enjoyment makes a community, but this one will die out, i am done arguing any furthermore with people with no experience in fighting games.

Ulevo

Smash Master
you think you are always right.
What a closed minded statement.

Everyone thinks they are correct until proven otherwise, barring that they are unaware of something entirely. Each time someone opens their mouth to communicate and utters a statement for a purpose other than to admit ignorance or gather information, they always believe they are right. That's human nature, and that is how we think. Do you know anyone who thinks they are always wrong?

Either way, this was not intended to say you are closed minded. I was just expressing my distaste for that ugly and poorly thought out phrase.

Back to the topic at hand. :p

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Apparently you don't read my things through and enjoyment makes a community, but this one will die out, i am done arguing any furthermore with people with no experience in fighting games.
Yes, it's quite obvious we and the SBR (because apparently the SBR is moronic, what with not banning everything you want banned and because of their stage list) are all very inexperienced in Competitive fighting gaming... ... ... ...

M.K

Level 55
lol. you are such an idiot. i have helped run tournaments. i have been to tournaments. i have been playing competitively since before you could even suck on your mothers t*t. i know what competitive play is. you telling me i don't know what competitive gaming is proves you are an idiot. you assume way too much.
While the way Yuna may say it does sound a little harsh, he is right. You are saying the exact same thing, and it doesn't mean that YOU know everything either. HE doesn't know everything, and YOU don't know everything. We each just bring a little (or alot) of our knowledge to the table.
Nobody knows everything, alright? Get over it and start talking about Meta-Knight.

King of Hoboz

Smash Journeyman
I'll have to agree to some extent with Kadiev about the enjoyment. Seriously, enjoyment is a factor, it's a part of the motive to play a game, if the motive to play goes down, what will happen to the community? Dead...SSB4 comes out and some people won't even play cause of this game.

Kind of like how people don't like Yoshi cause he wasn't that great in either games and yet he's got a Chain Grab on Metaknight, making him playable to more extent in this game.

Least that's how I see it.

Still, I think tested is required(we can't just ban him without knowing what'll happen), cause Metaknight is undeniably distanced from the other characters (even from Snake) in terms of potential, usability, and other things that make him so much better than the rest.

ledhead

Smash Apprentice
Still, he shouldn't be banned. I hate playing against Meta Knight as much as the next guy (I've played M2k's. Nuff said). However, he's still really light and dies relatively fast compared to most characters. SuperArmor attacks hit, and even though there's not too many of them, they exist in higher tier characters.

Besides, I'd rather fight a good Meta Knight than a good Dedede. Which is what I'm going to see a lot of in my area if MK gets banned. Trust me, none of you want that.

PassWurD

Smash Journeyman
I think we should run like 1 little MK-free tournament just too see what happens, but personally i dont think anything drastic will change, Azen, Chu, Chillin ect.. will just remain top anyways, and then all the Snakes will beat the others like they did before to get top 5+, rinse and repeat, and I dont think MK should be banned, Brawl should be banned and we all go back to Melee. :cool::cool:

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'll have to agree to some extent with Kadiev about the enjoyment. Seriously, enjoyment is a factor, it's a part of the motive to play a game, if the motive to play goes down, what will happen to the community? Dead...SSB4 comes out and some people won't even play cause of this game.

Kind of like how people don't like Yoshi cause he wasn't that great in either games and yet he's got a Chain Grab on Metaknight, making him playable to more extent in this game.

Least that's how I see it.

Still, I think tested is required(we can't just ban him without knowing what'll happen), cause Metaknight is undeniably distanced from the other characters (even from Snake) in terms of potential, usability, and other things that make him so much better than the rest.
If the scene dies out because off lacking "enjoyment", then so be it. We won't ban characters to "maximize enjoyment". So it's not that MK is "too good", it's that his style is "boring" and forces you to play "boringly"? Welcome to Brawl.

Fletch

Smash Master
If the scene dies out because off lacking "enjoyment", then so be it. We won't ban characters to "maximize enjoyment". So it's not that MK is "too good", it's that his style is "boring" and forces you to play "boringly"? Welcome to Brawl.
We can only hope for this... then back to Melee?

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord

- Dsmash Dsmash Dsmash
- Tiny......

First of all, if you "hate the community" so much, you are more than welcome to leave. We won't miss another scrub.

Second of all, name all these "banned characters" from different communities that you are referring to. How many non-boss fighting game characters can you name that are banned? And please don't bring up any scrubby communities like Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen. There's Akuma, we all know that. And? Who else?

For your information, fighting game communities don't just ban characters because they are "too good" or even if they win 9/10 tournaments, especially if the game is only 6 freaking months old. They ban characters as an absolute last resort when it becomes clear that the character in question is the only viable tournament character such as Akuma in Super Turbo or Gill in Third Strike. Meta Knight is no where near that point yet. It doesn't matter that MK is the "best" character or even the "winningest" character (yes, "winningest" is a word). The fact is, he's not the only character that can win tournaments by a long shot, so he's not ban worthy.

Get off the forums and go find a way to beat him instead of whining about how unbeatable he is.

Fletch

Smash Master
Why would you hope the game dies out?
f its going to its going to if it doesn't it doesn't
Because it is super boring to play, promotes horrible playstyles, and requires nothing advanced... I just hope that people would stop playing Brawl and come back to Melee. But let's end that here before this thread becomes Melee vs. Brawl like every other thread.

As for my two cents, yes MK is far and away the best, but like many others have already said, it's really too soon to do much about this, Sheik was similar in the early stages of Melee (although I don't believe as dominating), but there is nothing too crazy right now about MK that should warrant a ban. If MK is banned anyways, I'm sure one character is just going to dominate in his absence (namely Snake). In conclusion, either learn to deal with it, or pick up MK yourself. The game isn't going to become magically "more fun" with banning MK.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I picked up Melee so I could have fun. I pick up a lot of games so I can have fun. I do things to make the game more enjoyable.

YOU DO NOT BAN CHARACTERS TO MAKE THINGS MORE ENJOYABLE. That's incredibly inane thinking, and you can take your little deluded whining of MK elsewhere. You have problems with MK, yet you spam stuff about enjoyment? Don't enter tournaments then, or if you do, don't expect to get anywhere if you're going to whine about your opponent.

i am done arguing any furthermore with people with no experience in fighting games.
lol, typical cop-outing people. They get some opposition and they run off in the background with a stupid comment because they can't come up with any decent form of rebuttal outside of some inane idea that doesn't even amount to anything. If you had any semblance of experience in any fighting game, you'd realize that banning things just so it boosts the enjoyment of people who are too intimidated by a character that we've only dealt with for 6 months now is a piss poor idea. But ok, run off now and pretend you were right on track with something, while MK tears you up more.

Seriously, enjoyment is a factor
People don't enjoy games all the same exact way.

Also, what's wrong with you people? People enjoy this game just as much as they enjoy Guilty Gear and Starcraft. The only important difference here is that one side is very balanced and the other side is less balanced... yet people enjoy both games at all levels of play. Banning a character for enjoyment is a stupid reason to ban at all. You people seriously need to learn what competitive gaming is, and if you do know what it is, then my mistake, but the posts that you guys made sure don't prove it.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
Yeah... the whole "boring" argument is a dumb one, no offense. The argument is whether or not Metaknight is too good to be tournament legal. The important questions:
Is Metaknight unbeatable?
Will all tournaments be reduced to Meta vs. Meta?

Yes, I know this is old talk, but I think we need to bring the argument back to what's important... not whether or not Metaknight makes the game boring. It's just not a good point to make.

As for my 2 cents... Metaknight is good. Very good. Maybe even the best. But he is not unbeatable, and I don't see tournaments being reduced to Meta vs. Meta only, therefore he should not be banned (I know, old points, still just trying to bring it back :laugh: )

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Your post got lost in the spam. If you feel like there was important stuff in there I should see, link me to it.
I know and that combined with how this thread has grown by like 10-12 pages since, I decided just to drop it. I love to argue as much as you do but there's no point in continuing the previous conversation if the thread has clearly left it in the dust. So, are we best fwends again? :psycho:

Anyways, has Samuraipanda told anyone outside of this thread what stage he honestly thinks counters Metaknight? My guesses are Mario Circuit, Skyworld, or, now that I've given it more thought, Corneria.

It has to be one of these stages:

Brinstar
Corneria
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)

He said that it was once a counter/banned but was moved to a counter because it was supposedly THAT effective at countering Metaknight... I'm stumped...

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Anyways, has Samuraipanda told anyone outside of this thread what stage he honestly thinks counters Metaknight? My guesses are Mario Circuit, Skyworld, or, now that I've given it more thought, Corneria.
Apparently, few people care enough about what SamuraiPanda says to read what he says thouroughly (and I've also pointed this out already).

SamuraiPanda said this:

"One stage was actually voted counterpick/banned the first time, but I personally called for a revote because I discovered that it did the impossible... it counterpicked Metaknight. On that alone, the stage was voted in as counterpick."

So it's one of the following stages:
Brinstar
Corneria
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)

My guess is Yoshi's Island (Pipes).

Oh, I see you edited your post while I was posting this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom