• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Metaknight should/will be banned" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
We've had this topic pop up more and more recently, and I'm not interested in closing tons of threads on the same topic, so lets try to localize all discussion of "banning Metaknight" to this thread.

My personal opinion is that, yes, Metaknight is the best character in the game. And yes, there is a gap between MK and every other character at this point in time. But it is WAY too early to even think about banning a character. Too early to even mention it. MK is still beatable. Yeah, MK doesn't really have any "bad" matchups, but that doesn't mean he's unstoppable. Thus, this entire topic is silly and useless IMO.

And if anybody is wondering, characters or techniques are generally banned if they prove to be overwhelmingly powerful and they dominate tournaments without hope of anything else being able to win. If MK becomes the only viable competitive character, which probably won't ever happen, then that merits a ban.

cutter

Smash Champion
And if anybody is wondering, characters or techniques are generally banned if they prove to be overwhelmingly powerful and they dominate tournaments without hope of anything else being able to win. If MK becomes the only viable competitive character, which probably won't ever happen, then that merits a ban.
THANK YOU SamuraiPanda. Apparently, many people don't seem to understand this. *coughthumbswayupcough*

RDK

Smash Hero
MK isn't godly enought yet to warrant a character ban. He has a long way to go before he becomes an Akuma, but he is just ridiculously good against a majority of the cast, so much so that I could see only MK being used in the far future.

What I'd be interested in seeing is the middle / high tier being opened up once people stop going for overused characters like Snake and MK. It's just no fun when you look at the placings of the tournament you just attended and 6 of the top 10 are MKs or Snakes. Come on people.

Foxtrotter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
msfoxtrott
Truly, it is too early in Brawl's life span to decide whether or not Meta Knight should be banned.

I don't know why I think that, I have no supporting reasons, I just like saying my opinion. xD

To quote Overswarm: "Metaknight is a plague."
Amen!

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
What I meant in my thread wasn't if he became the only viable character, but if he was the only one who was used just because it's so much easier to do better with him.

cutter

Smash Champion
Metaknight reminds me so much of Sheik from Melee. Just like MK, Sheik is incredibly easy to pick up, had basically no bad matchups, and she made a good amount of the cast completely unplayable in tournaments because they could NEVER beat her.

In the early melee tier lists, Sheik was unquestionably the best character in the game. Sound familiar?

Snail

Smash Lord
Banning him would probably be good for the metagame, but meh. Yeah, there's still chance of winning for other characters (although it's a slight chance) and I suppose (soft) bans for the sake of diversity in character usage don't exist outside of Japan.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I'm hoping for a soft ban, but I doubt that will ever happen.
Even if he is soft banned it won't help because people will still use him. This is America soft bans don't work in America unlike Japan were Akuma is soft banned.

Snail

Smash Lord
Even if he is soft banned it won't help because people will still use him. This is America soft bans don't work in America unlike Japan were Akuma is soft banned.
I think Akuma has a "hard ban" even in Japan and one other character is soft-banned... I forgot his name though.

Lone Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Well...excuse me but if a official tier list hasnt even come out yet and like 95% of tourney characters are mk, then I'm sure that when it does come out, we're going to have a big problem on our hands...

Foxtrotter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
msfoxtrott
You know, this makes me wonder...

Did Sakurai intend for Meta Knight to be this good?

Meta Knight is from Sakurai's pride and joy franchise, anyway.

RDK

Smash Hero
You know, this makes me wonder...

Did Sakurai intend for Meta Knight to be this good?

Meta Knight is from Sakurai's pride and joy franchise, anyway.
Sakurai intended for me to laugh and have fun while my character trips and get's f-smashed and annihilated by stage hazards all over the screen.

Foxtrotter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
msfoxtrott
Guess it's just another way for him to kill competitive play along with tripping :ohwell:
Why would a game designer put something like tripping in a five-star franchise? -.-;

Sakurai intended for me to laugh and have fun while my character trips and get's f-smashed and annihilated by stage hazards all over the screen.
:joyful:

Snail

Smash Lord
Why would a game designer put something like tripping in a five-star franchise? -.-;
I suppose he intended tripping as something casually funny. Like "Haha, he tripped". Sakurai's been making that game for years and thought it was funny, and we already hated it after a month; Heck we've hated it since the release. He sure has a stupid sense of humour...

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
characters proven to do well against MK:

snake, diddy kong, wario

and IMO, ic's

mk is beatable, far from bannable

OMGGGG HAHAHAH I JUST WASTED MY 6,000th post!

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Personally, I really wouldn't mind if he got banned since he counter my main to living hell but I do agree that it's too early to consider a character ban.

If I was given the option down the road of a vote for Meta Knight ban or against it I just wouldn't vote since my opinion is so bias.

Julz

Smash Apprentice
Kirby and Kid Icarus are going to have their own games released for the wii soon. Meta Knight, DDD and Pit are all high tier characters. Kirby in brawl was buffed from melee.

Hmmmmmmm

Vect0r

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight, shouldn't, and hopefully will not be banned.

If he will, it will prove that we are all n00bs and can't take him on because he's "too strong",
which is plain BS.

And we aren't weak and pathetic, now are we? We can take on meta knight! If we want to, we can drag him accross the floor and chain grab him into oblivion!

You just need to know how. And we DO know how. So banning MK = BS

Foxtrotter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
msfoxtrott
Kirby and Kid Icarus are going to have their own games released for the wii soon. Meta Knight, DDD and Pit are all high tier characters. Kirby in brawl was buffed from melee.

Hmmmmmmm
Here's some other interesting things for you:

Sakurai developed the Kirby game series, which includes Kirby, King Dedede, and Meta Knight.

Kirby has received significant buffs. Dedede and Meta Knight are both high tier.

Kojima, developer of Metal Gear Solid, "begged" for Snake to be included in Melee. To make up for it, Sakurai put Solid Snake in Brawl.

Snake's high tier.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
But why would Sakurai make Meta Knight the "best" character, while he supposedly nerfs Captain Falcon, Fox, and countless others?
I would like to know that as well. Someone should interview him about the competitive brawl scene, I'd like to listen what he has to say about it.

I wonder...did they even realize they nerfed characters?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
If Meta Knight had move's that can kill you at 10% or 30% and it's very fast, then people might think to ban him. But the thought of banning Meta Knight is silly, that's like banning camping, (but then again, some tournment's ban staling). Anyways, the fact is that Meta Knight can be defeted regurley, so that fact he should not be banned.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Falco can also chaingrab MK.

MK does not deserve a ban, and that's not because I main him (I also main DK), but because he's plenty beatable. Yes, he's tough, but if you learn the matchup well enough then you really shouldn't have too much serious trouble against a typical MK.

Meta Knight, shouldn't, and hopefully will not be banned.

If he will, it will prove that we are all n00bs and can't take him on because he's "too strong",
which is plain BS.

And we aren't weak and pathetic, now are we? We can take on meta knight! If we want to, we can drag him accross the floor and chain grab him into oblivion!

You just need to know how. And we DO know how. So banning MK = BS

Good ****! That's the kind of attitude I like. Any of us could take on MKs well enough if we learn to fight him. That's how I did well against basically every character I had so much trouble with in the past (Snake, GaW, ROB, Fox, etc.). :)

Foxtrotter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
msfoxtrott
Good ****! That's the kind of attitude I like. Any of us could take on MKs well enough if we learn to fight him. That's how I did well against basically every character I had so much trouble with in the past (Snake, GaW, ROB, Fox, etc.). :)
Winning an argument over the internet is impossible. Good luck convincing some others to take on that attitude. -.-;

What about just banning his neutral b?
B moves aren't used that much in competitive play.

Master Raven

Smash Master
I don't have too much trouble dealing with the tornado. I think people overrate the hell out of that move. It's a great approach and certainly one of his best attacks, but any smart player will just run/jump and/or air dodge/block and punish it. I've beaten tornado happy MKs before with my DK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom