• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Metaknight should/will be banned" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
you're completely misusing the word br0ken.If the metagame deteriorates to just whorenade spam, because it's that good, then it's br0ken.
Also, SL isn't completely invulnerable, you can hit him out of it.
The moves themselves may not be broken, but they simply make a dominant character more dominant. Please answer these questions for me:

1. Would a Meta Knight without Shuttle Loop and Tornado be more balanced compared to the other high tiers than a Meta Knight with them?

2. Which sounds the most ideal:
- A character in top tier with six others in high tier out of the 39 character roster.
- At least seven characters in high tier out of the 39 character roster.
- Six characters in high with a 38 character roster.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Banning B moves would not work.
Banning things because they are "the best", results in a game of dominant "second-bests".
You say 'nado is "the best" approach? Banning it would result in MK using his second-best approach options.
You say SL is "the best" edgeguard? Banning it would result in MK using his second-best edgeguard options.

Plus Banning stuff because it is "the best" is totally scrubby.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I doubt they can ban the Shuttle Loop or Tornado.

What they could do is limit the Tornado. Not allow to rise it up, but even that is a stretch.

But really, MetaKnight isn't THAT overpowered as people make him to be

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Actually, I don't see why we cannot ban his B-moves in the control setup. He has 5 jumps and a glide so recovery should not be a problem (Pit is a testament to this). His down-B and his neutral B are beyond broken. He would probably be high tier without the use of his B moves.
They're not broken enough to be banned. And we do not ban specific moves. That would be ********. His Down B is bad. Very bad.

"Oh, I accidentally hit B."
"Forfeit!"

This idea should not be scoffed at because we are in a sense balancing a character using just the means afforded to us by Sakurai himself found within the game (and you can set a controler configuration without specials, I checked).
It's not our job to rebalance the characters. If they're "too good", we ban them. If they aren't, we don't.

Besides, if the Street Fighter Super Turbo community had a toggable setting in the game which could have locked Akuma's most broken moves and balance his damage output while keeping the others the same, would he have been banned?
No, because we don't dole out random handicaps (because that's what this is). We either ban characters or we don't. People who don't know how Competitive gaming works must stop saying "If X happened, wouldn't Y happen?" as if they were speaking the truth.

The tornado is an effective and almost unpunishable approach.
So are Kirby's aerials. Ban?

The move does freakish damage and it can easily shield stab if your shield is small. Plus, shield does not matter if you are in the air.
Freakish damage? In what alternate universe? Also, of course moves will easily shieldstab you if your shield sucks! And if you're in the air, there are many characters with moves that last so long you cannot airdodge them.

Ban them all?

But Shuttle Loop is a VERY big problem.
But Shuttle Loop is not Down B.

A skilled Meta Knight can abuse it and cancel it into another attack thanks to glide attack cancel.
Or one could shield the initial hit and then immediately hit back before he can do that. Or one can just space it so that he won't hit with his glidecanceled attack.

It is a VERY effective edgeguarding tool; honestly, I see most characters get killed by this more than other moves. It has high knockback, very quick for a high knockback move, makes him impossible to edgeguard, gives him another glide, has retarted range, and is virtually unpunishable. Plus he can recover without it easily enough.
Oh noes, it's a good move! Ban it nao!

Honestly, banning Meta Knight would be dumb, but locking his special moves would make a lot of matchups against him more managable and maybe even even. It is simply balancing him with the other high tiers without hacking the game.
Locking this and that would make a lot of characters more managable. Doesn't mean we'll do it.

The moves themselves might not be terribly broken, but those moves in Meta Knight's hands equals trouble. Frankly, it is a small way to balance him especially considering he is not terribly nerfed by the absense of those moves.
Either we ban him or not. We don't ban specific moves. That's not how it works.

Yikarur

Smash Master
Meta Knight should be banned because a little while ago I beat a Meta Knight with my Yoshi and then he insulted me and spamed me on icq :(
If each Meta Knight Player react like this if they lose I would ban him xDD

~bad english I'm german :( ^^

Fletch

Smash Master
Meta Knight should be banned because a little while ago I beat a Meta Knight with my Yoshi and then he insulted me and spamed me on icq :(
If each Meta Knight Player react like this if they lose I would ban him xDD

~bad english I'm german :( ^^
lolwut?

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
Why is everyone *****ing so much about MK? It's not like he is unbeatable. He does have some tough matchups, and he doesn't completely **** all of the cast.

Also, without shuttle loop and tornado, MK wouldn't even be all that good. I don't see any reason to ban them. People who mindlessly spam these 2 moves will not win against someone smart.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Why is everyone *****ing so much about MK? It's not like he is unbeatable. He does have some tough matchups, and he doesn't completely **** all of the cast.

Also, without shuttle loop and tornado, MK wouldn't even be all that good. I don't see any reason to ban them. People who mindlessly spam these 2 moves will not win against someone smart.
What bad matchups are you referring to?

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Samus, ICs, and Jiggz.
That's 9.

Lets say that's 7.

Melee: 9 out of a total of 26.
9/26 = 34.6%

Brawl: 7 out of a total of 37.
7/37 = 18.9%

Melee has more diversity even without Samus, ICs and Jiggz. (about 26%)
I don't want to start Melee vs Brawl, and I don't think MK should be banned, I am simply pointing out people errors in thinking that Brawl is just as diverse as Melee.

EDIT:BTW, Deathcarter, you're talking like such a scrub, please stop. His b moves are not too good, and banning **** because they are the best is so ****ing ********. Whorenado is not unpunishable, and pretty much only **** characters cant handle it. Up B is a good move, deal with it.
What part of 'these are the big 4, and there are some other viable characters but they dont dominate the game" did you not get? Samus, Jiggz, and IC's were no where near as big as Fox and Marth. I never stated that those were the only viable characters, sit down and listen.

So I'll make the 'list' even simpler. MK, Snake, G&W, DDD for Brawl, and Fox, Marth, Peach, and Falco for Melee. All other characters weren't as big. Mebbe I'm wrong about one of those top characters, but the number is definitely around four.

I'm talking about how much use the characters are getting, not how many can be used. >.>

Shady Penguin

Smash Lord
MK puts the Meta in Metagame. I see strong arguments on each side, but I'd say we should go with the temporary ban/soft ban solution. If things don't really improve keep him. If things noticebly become better, ban him.

Like one guy made a point of, we'd only be banning one character for a possibly big improvement. We ban stages and neglect characters like nobody's business, so the MK "fans" (Most mainers probably just play him because he's great) will learn to get over not seeing him at the tournament scene.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Yeah MK should be banned because he's unbeatable...but I beat them with yoshi...hmmm ban yoshi...wait Zelda pwns yoshi what do we do? ban zelda...and so on and so on and so on.

cman

Smash Ace
Does anyone actually think the competative scene for this game will last 5/10 years?? Basically everyone who says we must wait a few years for the metagame to mature has essentially taken the stance that he should never be banned (not that there is anything wrong with that).

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Yeah MK should be banned because he's unbeatable...but I beat them with yoshi...hmmm ban yoshi...wait Zelda pwns yoshi what do we do? ban zelda...and so on and so on and so on.
i hate when people use this arguement...
just because you beat some scrub, in a friendly, possibly over wifi, does not mean that MK is not overpowered and broken.
If i remember correctly, even with yoshi's inescapable chain grab, that is only limited by the length of the stage, that you can finish at any point with a running up smash, the yoshi vs MK match is still in MK's favor. If THAT doesnt identify a broken character, i dont know what does

Browny

Smash Hater
maybe if yoshis CG did more than 20% across the length of FD it would even out the matchup, but its an extremely weak CG

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Does anyone actually think the competative scene for this game will last 5/10 years?? Basically everyone who says we must wait a few years for the metagame to mature has essentially taken the stance that he should never be banned (not that there is anything wrong with that).
If it doesn't survive to maturity, that's just too bad. Inherent in this assumption is that the game will survive long enough to make this discussion worthwhile. Other fighters have survived that long.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
MK puts the Meta in Metagame. I see strong arguments on each side, but I'd say we should go with the temporary ban/soft ban solution. If things don't really improve keep him. If things noticebly become better, ban him.

Like one guy made a point of, we'd only be banning one character for a possibly big improvement. We ban stages and neglect characters like nobody's business, so the MK "fans" (Most mainers probably just play him because he's great) will learn to get over not seeing him at the tournament scene.
See this is the cost/benefit way of thinking. It's more practical, it's about what we'd actually lose and actually gain.

The main arguers in favor of MK have a more "honor and pride" perspective on keeping MK in. Yuna is certainly on that perspective.

It's really kind of like environmentalists and large business' arguments, the environmentalists aren't even arguing whether or not clearing the forest would do more harm than good, they argue that it's a shame to kill the trees.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
MK puts the Meta in Metagame.
wikipedia said:
Metagaming is a broad term usually used to define any strategy, action or method used in a game which transcends a prescribed ruleset, uses external factors to affect the game, or goes beyond the supposed limits or environment set by the game. In other words, sometimes using out-of-game information, or resources, to affect one's in-game decisions.
The ironic thing is that MK is really forcing us to decide whether or not we're going to care about the metagame in brawl. To put a soft ban on MK may promote the metagames of all the other character interactions, but to at the same time it denies learning how to beat MK.

The fact remains that while MK may be well above the rest on his own level... he still is not ALL-Powerful and certainly a flat out ban would not be appropriate.

At the last two events I went to, players counterpicked my sonic(who I only use) with MK and I still ended up beating them. Regardless of whether or not you want to question the skill of these MK users, the fact remains that I've put lots of time into the specific metagame between my Sonic and various MK players. I've collaborated with other Sonic users and learned how to utilize Sonic's ground speed to run away from tornadoes and punish expected shuttle loops with shield grabs or short hops. Sonic naturally is hard to gimp which takes out another strength that MK has against him. A camping, spot-dodge > down Smash MK can easily be punished with Sonic by running right past and pivoting into a fsmash (you don't even have to pivot this). Short hops into bairs are also effective here when rolling away is begging to get hit or grabbed by MK. Sonic's spring gets him out of bad situations before MK can shuttle loop and usually MK finds himself running into a spring. I'm speaking specifically about Sonic, but each character has SOMETHING to use. Many feel Bowser can be a wise counterpick against MK. Instead of whining about banning MK we should instead force MK mains to further step up their game even more.

I feel that the true problem right now is that too many people have accepted MK is unbeatable with their current characters. Too many people switch directly to him instead of to other characters.

I've chosen the path of figuring out how my main can fight MK instead of play as MK. What path will you take?

Gindler

Smash Champion
just because you beat some scrub, in a friendly, possibly over wifi, does not mean that MK is not overpowered and broken.
If i remember correctly, even with yoshi's inescapable chain grab, that is only limited by the length of the stage, that you can finish at any point with a running up smash, the yoshi vs MK match is still in MK's favor. If THAT doesnt identify a broken character, i dont know what does
Not a scrub...and not on wifi...yeah a friendly (doesn't mean it didn't happen =P). but yeah when a character's worst matchup is a ditto (50/50) you know something is wrong.

maybe if yoshis CG did more than 20% across the length of FD it would even out the matchup, but its an extremely weak CG
No argument here, I never really found it to be very game breaking.

Still MK is a likable character, and this coming from someone who doesn't even play him.

I feel asleep

Smash Apprentice
I quote myself from about a week after the game came out.

"everyone play's meta-knight, they just don't know it yet"

A precursor to what may happen in the future, more and more people are picking up/maining MK, placing in tournaments. while other players are picking up Snake(since he has one of the better matchups against MK) to semi-counter the people who are picking MK.

Now, that doesn't mean everyone however. i have mained Samus since ssb64, one of my friends plays marth, exclusively. and another plays Pit who is "just a worse version of MK with a projectile" and another plays G&W. point is, not everybody play's as MK, recently it has mostly been bad players who want a chance to win play as him, and then proceed to do alright against good players. which inspires them to stick with MK/learn his techs etc. as opposed to the people who are good with him that outright destroy their opponent usually.

Meta-knight is NOT unbeatable, and therefore not bannable outright. however, once 80% of the tournament players are playing as him, and every tournaments top 5 consist of nothing but Metaknights....then we got a bit of a problem. in time it will happen. but until that day. all we can do is either pick the characters we love and play with a disadvantage. or pick metaknight and 'help' the problem.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
You have such a defeatist attitude. "BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! METAKNIGHT IS SO BWOKEN AND OVERPWOERED"

Seriously. Stop whining. Competitive players everywhere are beating top MK players in high level tournaments right now (and I'm not about to fish out the match videos). Surely MK is the best character by far right now and clearly the winningest, but he is no where near broken or unbeatable by any stretch of the imagination.

Akuma (in Super Turbo) is broken. Gill (in Third Strike) is broken. Nightterror (in Soul Calibur 3) is broken. God Rugal (in Capcom vs SNK 2) is broken. Akamaru (in Naruto Clash of Ninja) is broken. Zero (in KOF 2K) is broken.

Meta Knight is just the best. Just as Magneto, Storm, Sentinel, and Cable are the best by far in MVC2. Just as Yun is clearly the best in Third Strike. Just as Xianghua is the best in Soul Calibur 2. Just as Omega Shenron is the best in Budokai 3. These characters are not broken or unbeatable. They are just very good.

Find a way to beat MK instead of giving up and just accepting that he is somehow "unstoppable", as this is clearly not true.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Akuma (in Super Turbo) is broken. Gill (in Third Strike) is broken. Nightterror (in Soul Calibur 3) is broken. God Rugal (in Capcom vs SNK 2) is broken. Akamaru (in Naruto Clash of Ninja) is broken. Zero (in KOF 2K) is broken.
Quick Question: I haven't watched naruto in a while...but isn't akamaru the dog in it? and he's a playable character in the game and is completely broken? That's pretty ridiculous...nice sig btw I lqtmed

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
See this is the cost/benefit way of thinking. It's more practical, it's about what we'd actually lose and actually gain.

The main arguers in favor of MK have a more "honor and pride" perspective on keeping MK in. Yuna is certainly on that perspective.

It's really kind of like environmentalists and large business' arguments, the environmentalists aren't even arguing whether or not clearing the forest would do more harm than good, they argue that it's a shame to kill the trees.
Not really. I argue that it would be stupid to ban him... and scrubby... and that he's not "too good" on such a level he should be banned (and I've shown ample evidence as to why).

I have two questions. Whats a soft ban and why is Akuma banned in Japan?
Akuma is banned worldwide. The ban on Akuma is only soft in Japan.

Quick Question: I haven't watched naruto in a while...but isn't akamaru the dog in it? and he's a playable character in the game and is completely broken? That's pretty ridiculous...nice sig btw I lqtmed
Akamaru has the lowest defense in the Gekitou Ninja Taisen games, but because of his small stature pre-timeskip, every single grab (even airgrabs) whiffs on him (like Yoda in SCIV). He also auto-techcroushes everything that's not a low swipe and even if he's hit by an X, the animation will not initiate, thus, he's unable to hit with a special that is%2

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
The ironic thing is that MK is really forcing us to decide whether or not we're going to care about the metagame in brawl. To put a soft ban on MK may promote the metagames of all the other character interactions, but to at the same time it denies learning how to beat MK.

The fact remains that while MK may be well above the rest on his own level... he still is not ALL-Powerful and certainly a flat out ban would not be appropriate.

At the last two events I went to, players counterpicked my sonic(who I only use) with MK and I still ended up beating them. Regardless of whether or not you want to question the skill of these MK users, the fact remains that I've put lots of time into the specific metagame between my Sonic and various MK players. I've collaborated with other Sonic users and learned how to utilize Sonic's ground speed to run away from tornadoes and punish expected shuttle loops with shield grabs or short hops. Sonic naturally is hard to gimp which takes out another strength that MK has against him. A camping, spot-dodge > down Smash MK can easily be punished with Sonic by running right past and pivoting into a fsmash (you don't even have to pivot this). Short hops into bairs are also effective here when rolling away is begging to get hit or grabbed by MK. Sonic's spring gets him out of bad situations before MK can shuttle loop and usually MK finds himself running into a spring. I'm speaking specifically about Sonic, but each character has SOMETHING to use. Many feel Bowser can be a wise counterpick against MK. Instead of whining about banning MK we should instead force MK mains to further step up their game even more.

I feel that the true problem right now is that too many people have accepted MK is unbeatable with their current characters. Too many people switch directly to him instead of to other characters.

I've chosen the path of figuring out how my main can fight MK instead of play as MK. What path will you take?

im not gonna lie, this post inspired me, im going to work on this match right now actually.
at this point in time, the meta game hasnt grown enough to warrent his ban, we all know that. but i still believe that it will happen. however, i plan to work on stalling that process for as long as i possibly can, by beating as many MKs as possible

RDK

Smash Hero
This thread is still open? Looks like Yuna's not doing his job.

Seriously--stop whining about MK being too good. He's not. If you're that much of a defeatist, just "play dirty" and use him yourself.

RDK

Smash Hero
Ok. So whats the reason that Akuma is banned for??
Akuma is banned because he's so good against the rest of the cast that it's basically "play him or lose". Tournaments were dominated by Akumas. This is not true of Brawl tournaments--it hasn't gotten to the point where everyone and their mother is playing MK.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Answer to 1st: A soft ban would be an agreement between players to not counterpick with MK if they are losing in a series. You would stick with all the other characters. MK mains would still be allowed to enter a tournament as Meta knight. ... right?
No. A soft ban is an agreement not to use him period.

You can still use him but its generally frowned upon.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I dont know if people will pay attention to this post but uh.
In pokemon some of the crowd is doing a sample test of banning garchomp (not a hard ban, it's simply a test).

If the metagame benefits from the lack of MK, we may not know, I think there should be a small period of time where Metaknight is banned just to see what the metagame is like without him, and then afterwards thoughts/facts and opinions can be collected as such.

Same should also be done with snake (although I think he's overrated to begin with) just for the sake of saying we tested him too.

People with decent tourney play during that time should speak and those who don't should be quiet (I'd be quiet).

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Guys, how in hell can we be talking about the metagame? This game has been out for 6 months, the metagame is in no way stable, people are finding crap about characters every day. When the metagame matures, and there's no way to beat MK, THEN he might warrant a ban, but for the time being. WAIT, MK is not absolutely broken, he IS beatable.

Patience guys, it's a virtue. =D

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Guys, how in hell can we be talking about the metagame? This game has been out for 6 months, the metagame is in no way stable, people are finding crap about characters every day. When the metagame matures, and there's no way to beat MK, THEN he might warrant a ban, but for the time being. WAIT, MK is not absolutely broken, he IS beatable.

Patience guys, it's a virtue. =D
I can beat a Groudon with a Castform, does that mean Groudon is fair =P
Sorry for pkmn references....but I like them.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

Your solution is pretty much what I said way back when (but your ban criteria is off).

So folks, get to it. Develop the metagame, and given 5 years (or however long it takes for the metagame to mature), MK MIGHT warrant a ban. But 6 months in, the list of ban-worthy things is limited too... *hears birds chirping*

Oh yeah, infinite dimensional cape and other infinite stalls. That's about it.

The Star King

Smash Hero
It took a long time for Sheik to get knocked off the top of the tier list, but it happened (2006). Maybe the same will happen with Metaknight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom