• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Marth General And Off-Topic Chat Thread

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I just placed third in a tournament at my college. All in all the commpetition wasnt all that fierce (gheyest rule set ever). The only players worth noting were a snake/MK main and the mario who eliminated me. The first round was a free for all, items on low, random stage thing. First one to win 3 ffas would advance. The 2nd round was random stage, items off, ffa. This is where the gheyness begins. Of the stages we play on, there was about only one legit tourney friendly one. We went to hannenbow, new pork city, coconut falls, skyworld, and that custom stage that comes with the game and is like a maze. There were 7 matches total and i won 2 of them and mario got lucky with coconut falls and skyworld. The match i lost was with me (marth of couse), marth, MK, and mario. I make it my mission to kill MK immediately and i succeed. The marth wasnt a problem either and that left mario and me alone on the stage. However, the battle with MK wasnt easy and it left me with about 70%. I get hit with a bair or fsmash and see mario charge his fludd so i decide to recover high. It works at first and he fires the fludd after i dolphin slash and it pushes me back a little but not nearly enugh. But as i am falling to the ledge, that b@$%@rd jumps out and capes me so i turn around and fall to my death.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
It's all about light blue CHILLL D3. The "Chill Penguin." I think that's the name of a Megaman X boss on the SNES.

White Marth is too graceful, I feel like you have to be at least NEO-level to justify that colour choice. Plus too many other people use it to try and look cool haha

I just placed third in a tournament at my college. THEY PLAYED FFA
This always pisses me off. FFA in tourneys.

Two things can happen here. 1, people camp hardcore, let you do the work, and then clean up.

2, and this is more infuriating, you school everyone, by the time you get to the finals or near the finals, everyone has figured out that you are the best player there, and they team up to get you killed, then they proceed with the FFA n00bfest.

I salute your strength of spirit and love of the game for actually participating in the tourney. What kind of tourney organizer actually thinks FFA is a legitimate way to play the game in a competetive setting? I don't know. Was there decent money on the line at this tourney?

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
It's all about light blue CHILLL D3. The "Chill Penguin." I think that's the name of a Megaman X boss on the SNES.

White Marth is too graceful, I feel like you have to be at least NEO-level to justify that colour choice. Plus too many other people use it to try and look cool haha
you do have a point there. white marth is almost angelic.

we could replace some of the yello stripes with red or black though. Make hime lose the tiara and have darker hair.

Tennet

Smash Champion
Dude you know why he even has the tiara? and gratz on the tournament blacklash. I hate FFA I find it annoying to try and figure out whats going on, if i ever play with someone who doesn't play competitively i'll make them play with that rule set and such. I wish I was at the level i'm at my freshman year so when we played melee after school and marching band practice I could beat everyone. ^^ Although thats what got me into smash.

White Marth has his flaws, add wings and you got Marth cosplaying as Pit >.>

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Dude you know why he even has the tiara? and gratz on the tournament blacklash. I hate FFA I find it annoying to try and figure out whats going on, if i ever play with someone who doesn't play competitively i'll make them play with that rule set and such. I wish I was at the level i'm at my freshman year so when we played melee after school and marching band practice I could beat everyone. ^^ Although thats what got me into smash.

White Marth has his flaws, add wings and you got Marth cosplaying as Pit >.>
Yes, but it doesn't make him any pimper with it.

It'll be an improvement.

Pit is the last thing marth would want to be. I HATE PIT.

Tennet

Smash Champion
I used to try to play as pit and I ended up sticking with CF as my secondary. I respect the tiara, you should too. ^^

Scott!

Smash Lord
Hey, Marth boards. I had my first tournament tonight. Nothing too big, just 32 people in the lounge of a dorm at my school. It was kind of odd, since it was best-of-one. The only legal stages were FD and Battlefield, unless both parties agreed on another choice. But I'd just like to thank you all for all the Marth stuff you put up on here. I'm not much of a contributor at all. I only post in like the "Epic favorite color thread" and stuff like that. But I lurk quite a lot, and it's been really helpful. I only made it to the second round, but I was just happy not to get out in the first. Beat a Pikachu pretty solidly, and then got totally gayed by a Kirby. I, being nervous, was too aggressive, and he capitalized with Kirbycides. One with a footstool just to be a jerk. Ugh. And I know I was better than that guy... but I wasn't when it counted, so whatever. So anyway, thanks for being helpful. Now, back to lurking.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
sounds like a legit tourney backlash
You should have typed that in pink

Hey, Marth boards. I had my first tournament tonight. Nothing too big, just 32 people in the lounge of a dorm at my school. It was kind of odd, since it was best-of-one. The only legal stages were FD and Battlefield, unless both parties agreed on another choice. But I'd just like to thank you all for all the Marth stuff you put up on here. I'm not much of a contributor at all. I only post in like the "Epic favorite color thread" and stuff like that. But I lurk quite a lot, and it's been really helpful. I only made it to the second round, but I was just happy not to get out in the first. Beat a Pikachu pretty solidly, and then got totally gayed by a Kirby. I, being nervous, was too aggressive, and he capitalized with Kirbycides. One with a footstool just to be a jerk. Ugh. And I know I was better than that guy... but I wasn't when it counted, so whatever. So anyway, thanks for being helpful. Now, back to lurking.
At least you got a straight up match. (even thought i cant complain about most of the matches because even without items and with better stages i would have made it past the 3rd round) But anyway, welcome to the boards.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Backlash, what I think helps reduce the distance they move you back with F.L.U.D.D. at is fair'ing it. It apparently "slows you down." Normally when they do it on stage they can use that half a second to punish you for it, but if they're just gimping you from a distance you can use it to your own advantage I think.

Why'd you ds so early? T_T

Tennet

Smash Champion
Now, back to lurking.
I play with my friends a ton and usually its while we are working out so when i get mad i just go do my next set and take my anger out there. I find that thinking while you play helps, and I think i've gotten you beat on the lurking, notice my join date and post count XD

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Backlash, what I think helps reduce the distance they move you back with F.L.U.D.D. at is fair'ing it. It apparently "slows you down." Normally when they do it on stage they can use that half a second to punish you for it, but if they're just gimping you from a distance you can use it to your own advantage I think.

Yeah but if you try to contest the move onstage, the results don't look too good. They can use the Fludd lag to punish you much better if you contest it.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord

I hate the ledges on the star wolf level and i figured the fludd couldnt hit me from so far away if he had to aim it high. The farther away he hits me with it from the more likely i get pushed out of recovery range (but i did get some sick "WTF how did he make it back from that low" recoveries in other matches). I performed well and beat a Snake and MK so I have little reason to make johns other than poor tourny rule sets. I just dont understand why there was exactly one MK, 0 D3s and 2 snakes.

Tennet

Smash Champion
Unfortunately things came up today so i can't work out which means no brawl today. Jeez i still need to buy a Wii...

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Lucky...
Marths get a chat thread that has some randomness (not reporting tho, Marth's one of my secondaries, and this is too good). Lucarios got shut down, one of our oldest threads too.:(

Great job tho.:)

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Lucky...
Marths get a chat thread that has some randomness (not reporting tho, Marth's one of my secondaries, and this is too good). Lucarios got shut down, one of our oldest threads too.:(

Great job tho.:)
lol I think a mod approved it? =b

Oh yay so since I left my wii in California(current in college in Indiana >>) I thought I'd try playing melee again at a local tourney X_X...
Holy crap my Marth does not work in melee.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
lol I think a mod approved it? =b

Oh yay so since I left my wii in California(current in college in Indiana >>) I thought I'd try playing melee again at a local tourney X_X...
Holy crap my Marth does not work in melee.
This happened to me the other day, i got 2-stocked -_-

Tennet

Smash Champion
I should be able to still play melee decently but I don't think I could be where I was at right away. I played the other day and I could still WD a little and recover everytime (I still have some of my Melee recovering habits >.>) I'm tempted to play Brawl and Melee so when my friends get tired of Brawl I can be ahead of them in Melee. I was the third best in my group, and apparently we have more people playing brawl with us and so I still don't have a Wii so I only get to play 4 days a week...

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Zss is a bull**** character.

James sparrow beasted me in tourney today... anyone have exp vs her?
Yes i have, as a matter of fact I've had the same experience :ohwell:

@Feardragon: Lol why did i put in melee just today and get ***** by the lvl 9 cpus?
:laugh: Melee sux in terms of getting out of combos and regaining control of your character. But if you are the one initiating combos, it is pure smex. Fair combos like a charm and dair is much easier to execute and those 2 facts make me happy. However, aerial mobility is rather garbage IMO and getting away from our out of certain combos is almost impossible.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
lol backlash. To be entirely honest I enjoy getting beat in melee more than I enjoy getting beat in brawl. Everything feels....a bit less campy lmao. At the same time it's a bit overwhelming because there's so many options and things to consider at every given moment and it's a lot faster than brawl. That's also fun though too >>
Still, I enjoy brawl more. Probably just because my tech skill is horrible lol

10suicidingwavedashesoffthestage

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I've always made a commitment to Melee, and it still stand s in Brawl, to get my marth really good. But it's always the same **** limitations, i can't travel nowhere out the 5 boroughs -_-

Tennet

Smash Champion
I've always made a commitment to Melee, and it still stand s in Brawl, to get my marth really good. But it's always the same **** limitations, i can't travel nowhere out the 5 boroughs -_-
I can't even go to tournaments, luckily i got a bunch of friends who play competitively and we all hang out and play brawl a lot.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
My friends and I know someone named John.

He invented johning.

Seriously.

Tennet

Smash Champion
If you don't go to tournaments you're not playing competitively. Just sayin'

No johns about not being able to go.
What I mean is that we play with all the ATs but we don't go because we aren't good enough yet, we all want to wait till we are better then we'll hopefully go to one. I wish we would go to some. I see your point and such, I just assumed playing competitively was playing with ATs and all that. Once we all practice enough we want to go to a tournament and we probably will. It'll be a great experience I'm sure. I'm the youngest in our group and I'm 16 so we shouldn't have problems when we go to one eventually...

So I played today either everyone else got better or I got worse, but I don't get to play it much; hopefully I'll get my Wii next week. I got sad, I managed to pull off a usmash spike and won XD

VietGeek

Smash Hero
You cannot get better by simply having a group secluded from actual competition. It doesn't work that way because all of you base your playstyles off what works against each other, and not against people you don't know.

it becomes a game of almost ALL reaction and making less mistakes in than otherwise. If you become so accustomed to fighting player B, then you fight player C, hypothetically assuming both play the same character and the skill level is even, as well as the match-up, you may very lose if you otherwise consistently won.

TL;DR: You guys can all only get better by going out and fighting people you'd consider strangers at tourneys.

Top Bottom