• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Mages Present: CATACLYSM 4 - Mods please lock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niko_K

Smash Master
I think your point total should be irellevent to your seeding. There should just be pools seeding into a 32 man bracket, and the players should have to earn their respective points. And once it is all over you tally up all the points and announce a top 3. Usually thats how most circuits are ran....

There were no pro/ammy brackets for all the other ECRC events, and I don't think just because it is The ECRC finals that this is needed. It just causes a ton of trouble and is actually ridiculously unfair.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
ok so you think we should dish out normal points and then payout for the top point holders?, that means you or anyone else from canada definitely cannot earn any money at this. what would be unfair, would be ignoring the point totals from the rest of the season. Basically we are having the ammy bracket as one last shot for people to get seeds in the pro bracket. Im getting the vibe that you want us to cater to the canadians just because some of them never got any points at the previous tournaments, which i find to be the most unfair.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
ok so you think we should dish out normal points and then payout for the top point holders?, that means you or anyone else from canada definitely cannot earn any money at this. what would be unfair, would be ignoring the point totals from the rest of the season. Basically we are having the ammy bracket as one last shot for people to get seeds in the pro bracket. Im getting the vibe that you want us to cater to the canadians just because some of them never got any points at the previous tournaments, which i find to be the most unfair.
It seems like Ur Ammy idea is perfectly fine when it comes to singles except for the fact that there is no prize in the ammy bracket. Like get sponsored by gamestop and get a giftcard or maybe give out a medal or trophy or something. I work at gamestop where Im at and I talked to the District Manager and he was willing offer prizes to the local tourney around where I'm at and THEY are giving away prizes for that. U guys are hosting the MOST IMPORTANT tourney of January! All u gotta do is write a proposal to these places and they would be willing to donate a soul away 2 U guys. If I'm getting money and prizes DONATED to me at this amateur tourney Im hosting imagine what U couldve gotten. I mean, if U contact local gaming centers, radioshack and Best Buy U should be able to get something(Idk Y, but Best buy is always giving out gift cards if U contact them in advance, at least where I'm at).

Moving on to Ur idea for teams, U might just have to take the loss and not have an ammy bracket for it cuz it would complicate things. People in the Pro Brackets will just have fight like they usually do, They'll be fine.

edit: I mean that U should just have 1 big team tourney. In fact, it sounds like ur only protecting the Pros from the Candians as if Ur scared the Canadians are gonna beat all the American Pro's. Not gonna lie, Id rather have an American win, Hell Id rather have a Floridian or someone Ive fought in the past win, but I wouldn't go about creating a tourney that protects the Pros unlike at other tourneys. Don't get me wrong though, I like the idea for Singles.

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
Basically since the start of the season we've been awarding points, towards seeding for the finals, Initially we wanted to give a cash prize to the player with most points earned, but alas we didnt do pot skimming and getting a sponsor didnt happen, and none of us can afford to put our own money into this.
Ill take note on the contacting best buy and such, but i really dont know if we will have time for that. (as this is very close)
I cant say for sure what we will do in the end
but we most definatly will not be negating the points.
Theres plenty of room for canada to make it through the ammy bracket into pro anyways
Were not protecting anyone lol

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
People in the Pro Brackets will just have fight like they usually do, They'll be fine.

edit: I mean that U should just have 1 big team tourney. In fact, it sounds like ur only protecting the Pros from the Candians as if Ur scared the Canadians are gonna beat all the American Pro's. Not gonna lie, Id rather have an American win, Hell Id rather have a Floridian or someone Ive fought in the past win ,but I wouldn't go about creating a tourney that protects the Pros unlike at other tourneys. Don't get me wrong though, I like the idea for Singles.
this isn't just a regular tournament though. have you been to the rest of them? the whole point of the ECRC was to award points to ppl who placed high in tournaments. if they got rid of the points system now it'd make many ppl unhappy... that system motivated a lot of ppl to try to win points and place higher.... i don't think you understand that this isn't supposed to just be a regular tournament. the only reason there is going to be an ammy bracket at all is because they want to give some ppl a chance to still make it into what this whole tournament is supposed to be about, the pro bracket.

Niko_K

Smash Master
We understand that point of view, though why should your point total have anything to do with where you are seeded. If I recall correctly every other ECRC event seeded from pools and then players were awarded points if they placed high enough in the bracket.

Why should it change for this tournament? OBM I understand that you want to give something to the top point collectors, but isn't it obvious that these point collcetors are most likely going to be placing at the top of the tournameny anyways? Why would it make a difference if you ran the tournament normally and awarded points at the end of the singles bracket.

Also Solid Jake, there actually ISN'T plenty of room for Canada to make it into the pro bracket, let alone what other players are going to be come. Theres going to be 10 Canadians at this event alone. We surely aren't going to be the only skill in the "ammy" bracket.

I, and many others agree that this tournament should take a different approach.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
The pro and ammy bracket make this is tournament different from the others. But this is the finals. That's why points have been giving out since the start of the ECRC. At First I thought they was to so how you are ranked right now.

This is to see who is up there are the best. All the bad boys will fight it out fairly for busting thier azzes at tournaments and placing well without anyone in the bracket who is new/had not been placing well at these ECRC to tournamets to get in the way or slow it down.

The ammy bracket actually gives you one last Chance to prove yourself and make it in to the pro bracket to show what you got. So this all makes sense and is not a bad idea. Ether way it won't be easy just playing random people in a bracket, beat them and then move up in one full bracket till you face someone that can beat you and its over. this is finals so it's the real deal. Cause in the pro bracklet, there won't be people who you can just beat and have them help you go up on the bracket. And no excuses about "I got a bad bracket, I fought this person too early, thats why I did bad" all that is invalid here.

-Nana-

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't positive I was going to this but now I definitely am, can't wait! I haven't been to a tourney in sooo long.

Shadow 111

Smash Lord
The pro and ammy bracket make this is tournament different from the others. But this is the finals. That's why points have been giving out since the start of the ECRC. At First I thought they was to so how you are ranked right now.

This is to see who is up there are the best. All the bad boys will fight it out fairly for busting thier azzes at tournaments and placing well without anyone in the bracket who is new/had not been placing well at these ECRC to tournamets to get in the way or slow it down.

The ammy bracket actually gives you one last Chance to prove yourself and make it in to the pro bracket to show what you got. So this all makes sense and is not a bad idea. Ether way it won't be easy just playing random people in a bracket, beat them and then move up in one full bracket till you face someone that can beat you and its over. this is finals so it's the real deal. Cause in the pro bracklet, there won't be people who you can just beat and have them help you go up on the bracket. And no excuses about "I got a bad bracket, I fought this person too early, thats why I did bad" all that is invalid here.
despite all the grammatical errors dark pch. this is a smart post lol.

niko- it is the finals and they wanna make it different than other tournaments and let the ppl with the most points get a chance to win a lot of money for all of their work in other tournaments. it isn't good for other people who decide that they want to go to this now, and haven't gone to many other ECRC events, i agree with you on that. however, this tournament is supposed to be for the ppl who have placed highly in the other tournaments. like it or not that is how they're doing it. i see why you would wanna change it.... i wouldn't wanna play through an ammy bracket.. do well, get into the pro bracket, then have to fight one of the highest point earners first round. it's their call though. if this is what they planned to do with the points then there's not much you can do to change it.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
THESE ARE FINAL DECISIONS:

☼ We are allowing top 8 players (those with placings 1-7 since there are ties) to advance from the amateur bracket. All players will be seeded by REGION first, then skill. Thus the top 24 placers in the regular season will have spots in the pro bracket, with the top 8 from the bracket.

☼ Ties for who will go into the pro bracket will be settled before the amateur bracket (likely during teams amateur). This will be done round robin given there is time. It is our discrestion if we decide to pull names from a hat if time contraints appear (a lot of people have 2 points), or if we decide to use another method.

☼ Teams will be decided by adding both players existing points together. Thus if you have 40 points, and your partner has none, your team has 40. Once all the teams have been esablished, we will take the top 12 teams into the bracket and we will allow the top 4 from the teams ammy bracket into the pro.

Jake and I discussed this at length and feel this is the fairest solution given the time constraints. If canada has 10 people going, (ace and ambrose have pro spots already) then there is no reason why they can't take the other 8 spots. If you are complaining about the skill in the amateur bracket being too high and you won't make it out, im sorry, but it is likely you wouldn't place well if we didn't do a pro/ammy split anyway.

Also, if anyone can bring the equipment for a live feed that would be most appreciated, as neither jake nor i have the means to run this ourselves.

If people can bring vcr's, wii's with long record, video cameras, etc, that would be most appreciated. We will do what we can, but the more recording equipment that is there, the more matches everyone gets to see.

Are there any other complaints we need to address?

PLEASE BRING WII'S

pastaboy

Smash Champion
canada- dont not go if you will get screwed over(accept ally). but i agree this is theyre point system and we cant change it just because canadians are coming now.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
this isn't just a regular tournament though. have you been to the rest of them? the whole point of the ECRC was to award points to ppl who placed high in tournaments. if they got rid of the points system now it'd make many ppl unhappy... that system motivated a lot of ppl to try to win points and place higher.... i don't think you understand that this isn't supposed to just be a regular tournament. the only reason there is going to be an ammy bracket at all is because they want to give some ppl a chance to still make it into what this whole tournament is supposed to be about, the pro bracket.
U misunderstand me fellow smasher... I was saying that people should just be seeded based on results from other tourneys. The Pros would have to fight the same as they usually do.

That being said, I ACTUALLY TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS COMMENT BELOW. Hence my final comment stated that I have no quarrel with the idea for singles.

niko- it is the finals and they wanna make it different than other tournaments and let the ppl with the most points get a chance to win a lot of money for all of their work in other tournaments. it isn't good for other people who decide that they want to go to this now, and haven't gone to many other ECRC events, i agree with you on that. however, this tournament is supposed to be for the ppl who have placed highly in the other tournaments. like it or not that is how they're doing it. i see why you would wanna change it.... i wouldn't wanna play through an ammy bracket.. do well, get into the pro bracket, then have to fight one of the highest point earners first round. it's their call though. if this is what they planned to do with the points then there's not much you can do to change it.
BTW, its ok 2 B grammatically incorrect on smashboards. We aren't here to write a thesis Paper for a Masters degree or anything.

Basically since the start of the season we've been awarding points, towards seeding for the finals, Initially we wanted to give a cash prize to the player with most points earned, but alas we didnt do pot skimming and getting a sponsor didnt happen, and none of us can afford to put our own money into this.
Ill take note on the contacting best buy and such, but i really dont know if we will have time for that. (as this is very close)
I cant say for sure what we will do in the end
but we most definatly will not be negating the points.
Theres plenty of room for canada to make it through the ammy bracket into pro anyways
Were not protecting anyone lol
I apologize for sounding rude, I was only stating the ideas for future tourneys

We understand that point of view, though why should your point total have anything to do with where you are seeded. If I recall correctly every other ECRC event seeded from pools and then players were awarded points if they placed high enough in the bracket.

Why should it change for this tournament? OBM I understand that you want to give something to the top point collectors, but isn't it obvious that these point collcetors are most likely going to be placing at the top of the tournameny anyways? Why would it make a difference if you ran the tournament normally and awarded points at the end of the singles bracket.

Also Solid Jake, there actually ISN'T plenty of room for Canada to make it into the pro bracket, let alone what other players are going to be come. Theres going to be 10 Canadians at this event alone. We surely aren't going to be the only skill in the "ammy" bracket.

I, and many others agree that this tournament should take a different approach.
This tourney is mainly for people that faithfully went to all 5 tourneys. U cant sit there and think that just because Players are ranked PRO that they can beat every1 in the world. Lets say that some random kid from Brazil comes to a tourney and beats NinjaLink in round 1. It's not fair to the people that went to all the other tourneys to force them to start from scratch. This tourney isn't supposed to be fair for newcomers (Including the Canadians)to the league alone. The players that have been to the other tourneys deserve the chance to be seeded in the top 26. Imagine if this league was in Canada. And U were ranked in the top 10. And then the best players in America had came up for a tourney. What if the Americans came and won? It's not fair to the tourney faithfuls.

Honestly, if feel bad for the ECRC cuz they are having a rough time with this tourney. They did a wonderful job with Singles. I hope that they can leave it the way that it is. If only 6 ammys can make it then people need to realize that next year whoever doesnt make it needs to try going to all teh tourneys next year.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
@ canadians: you guys really can't consider yourselves getting screwed at this point. We've made a concession for you guys, allowing 8 into the pro bracket. From what i can see, this would allow all of the canadians into the pro bracket. Now you were saying that there will be other skill in the amateur bracket, yes thats true, but also figure, that if we were to run a regular tournament, this same 'skill' would be present in the tournament also preventing you from placing high. The only real difference is that you have to face them in the ammy bracket instead of in the pro bracket.

i think you guys are worrying too much, theres plenty of room for your good players to fit into the pro bracket, just come and you'll see that we're not gunna screw you guys over. If you guys are paying well, theres just as good of a chance that you guys will walk out with money as compared to a normal tournament.

-Nana-

Smash Journeyman
Nana can you use me?
...wait, what can I use you??? Is that a typo?

I'm on OBM's side here Canada really isn't getting screwed over and I really can't imagine people not coming to this over the conditions given. Should be a very fun tournament.

meepxzero

Smash Master
canadians have never been to an mlg b4 ;\. Amateur bracket use to work like top 2-3 i think get into pro bracket. Thats a lot harsher and the fact u spend 20-30 bux to enter one event.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
i think you'll be fine, considering people like pc, cort, etc have quit and won't be attending. I think people with 4 points and up will likely make it into the pro bracket.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
i think that canada v us def will happen, we'll probably pick who gets to be on what team when we see who goes.
Good luck with that, cuz U guys will be taking on teh burden of selecting the members that will represent the best in the US and Canada. O, and U might wanna limit the amount of players that MAIN certain chars such as MK and Snake. Reason I say that is cuz U mite end up with 8 MK's on 1 side and 7 on the other and No1 wants to watch an entire crew battle that consists of mostly 1 or 2 chars. Although it should all work out in the end. U guys have handled this entire burden well so far. I congratulate U for running such a major tourney, Hell I'd have to go punch a baby in the face if I had to deal with as much as U guys have. :psycho:

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
So heres the run down.

Im going simply cause ally is going and has agreed, for the viewers, to do a $50 dollar MM with myself. This is only going down if it gets recorded, and would be nice if there was some kind of commentary as we are not sure as to when the next opportunity this will ever happen again.

As such, we saw it fit to take teams as well.

Ally and I are teaming, we need a good team name though, nothing pansy.
Any ideas?

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
So heres the run down.

Im going simply cause ally is going and has agreed, for the viewers, to do a $50 dollar MM with myself. This is only going down if it gets recorded, and would be nice if there was some kind of commentary as we are not sure as to when the next opportunity this will ever happen again.

Any ideas?
****ing, awesome

If it comes down to it, day 2 ill bring my PC from home, and i can hook up recording equipment to it directly.. id imagine i could 1 record and 2 live stream with it.. commentary is also possible, it seems people who are going know how to do it, so we can figure it out then and there.
So your request, will be granted sir

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
gotta wait till day two? ehhhhhhh

fine

but if its possible on day one, its goin down. god knows im gona have the freetime asside from pottentially teams ammy bracket

OverLade

Smash Hero
So heres the run down.

Any ideas?
Team Mother****ing Ally and Seibrik

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Any ideas?
Team money match. You and Ally versus me.

You each drop one time. 4 stock versus 3. 10$ plz. and record it. I guarantee I win.

Edit: Not joking, btw. Ask anyone who's played me in teams. ^_^

Anth0ny

Smash Master
So heres the run down.

Any ideas?
O.O

I just JIZZED IN MY PANTS.

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
gotta wait till day two? ehhhhhhh

fine

but if its possible on day one, its goin down. god knows im gona have the freetime asside from pottentially teams ammy bracket
reason i say day 2, is theres a possibility they will have everything i need day 1
if possible to do then, we will

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Team money match. You and Ally versus me.

You each drop one time. 4 stock versus 3. 10$ plz. and record it. I guarantee I win.

Edit: Not joking, btw. Ask anyone who's played me in teams. ^_^
This is dumb. All they have to do is infinite team grab release you back and forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom