• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Luigi Social Thread

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
wifi is legit in some situations and matchups, very unpredictable/bad in others

i seriously cannot play sheik well on wifi, it's too hard unless i needle camp and hit people with random risky dash attacks and dacus sometimes, depends on the matchup

ddd takes a lot of precision and decision making to play well and to nail grabs and cg's, but u seriously have to play with a completely different strategy online sometimes

but when i play snake or oli it's soooo good

yoshq

Smash Master
ok look, if someone plays good online, then all there is to it is that they have gotten their wifi timing down and they would be even better offline, because the timing is better, right?

chic

Smash Ace
its MUCH easier to powershield luigis nairs and jabs offline yoshq. i used to watch sams vids but after seeing how he can get away with so much **** that would get punished in real play i stopped watching

yoshq

Smash Master
its MUCH easier to powershield luigis nairs and jabs offline yoshq
then he would be able to powershield (insert move here) just as well offline while someone else is powershielding him. and besides, a good player can change their playstyle when it isn't working, online or off.

chic

Smash Ace
i dont want to get into a wifi vs offline argument... besides, playing at home vs playing in tourny setting is much different too. but anyway why do u think 90% of the tourny players never touch wifi... just saying.

next topic?

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Here is the problem with online, the game online relies on putting as many moves out as you can.
Punishing and predicting levels become much lower and much less useful, because most of the time, you can't possibly predict something seconds before said move happens.

There are some wifi players who do well offline that is true, but there are the players that are able to punish and predict on wifi, which few can do. It requires unnatural amounts of precision timing,and you will more then likely get punished for it to begin with. Throwing out moves is much more useful on wifi.

Its the main reason why i have stopped it at least.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
i dont want to get into a wifi vs offline argument... besides, playing at home vs playing in tourny setting is much different too. but anyway why do u think 90% of the tourny players never touch wifi... just saying.

next topic?
Ally, NEO, Judge! all came FROM wifi. I've played NEO too. Wifi shouldn't be your only form of practice, but it's a great tool for getting started.

Theres nothing wrong with dropping wifi once you've learned all you really need to learn. Tbh wifi is great for exposure to different characters and styles. Wifi habits aren't bad enough you can't drop them either.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Yeah, wifi sux.
Buy me 200 train tickets and I'll go to 200 tournaments :V
Oh, and host 200 tournaments while you're at it...

edit -> french sarcasm doesn't work in english, I already regret I've posted that lolol

AGuyNamedRaf

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, wifi sux.
Buy me 200 train tickets and I'll go to 200 tournaments :V
Oh, and host 200 tournaments while you're at it...

edit -> french sarcasm doesn't work in english, I already regret I've posted that lolol
Sarcasm doesn't carry over well on the internet in general (especially when typing).

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Ally, NEO, Judge! all came FROM wifi. I've played NEO too. Wifi shouldn't be your only form of practice, but it's a great tool for getting started.

Theres nothing wrong with dropping wifi once you've learned all you really need to learn. Tbh wifi is great for exposure to different characters and styles. Wifi habits aren't bad enough you can't drop them either.
Actually, NEO came from Melee 2003. He just does a ton of wifi to sharpen his game, which I think he forms through playing alone offline. Plus I think he's too lazy to go every day and find someone offline to play. I know I am. but IDFK I've played him too though, he's **** online.

Wi-fi is good for getting a general feel of SOME play-styles, and how SOME characters play. However, when it comes to match-ups, certain play-styles and tactics, wi-fi starts messing up your overall game. The catch is, it's very hard to find someone who doesn't, in some way, abuse the latency. Let's face it, 90% of us HATE losing, and even if you don't HATE it, you certainly don't enjoy it. So if using a certain tactic gets you the win, or at least makes matches closer, you'll use it. On Wifi, you can never be sure if that tactic is actually legit.

If you never have a chance to play offline, then of course Wi-Fi is legit. However, if you can never play offline, abusing latency and the such aren't real issues because you'll probably never do a tourny. If you do, you'll get *****, plain and simple. Also, Samboner only plays online. Everyday. A ton of it. So by now, regardless of how he seems online, he is consumed by the deadly and deceiving void of LAG.

btw, im the best luigi sup.

BSP

Smash Legend
So, will playing wi fi set you up for getting wrecked in offline tourneys? until i can drive im stuck with wifi, so i just want to know.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
75. "Luigi doesn't afraid of anything."
74. Luigi doesn't have "plubmer's crack" like Mario.
73. Luigi's fireball defies gravity and therefore makes Luigi a wizzard of sorts.
72. It's been said that Luigi once beat Mario at Connect Four... though Luigi might have lied.
71. Luigi has a Mansion; Mario only rents a room from him.

Let me stick in a few :p

70. Fire, Mario's specialty, creates no element, but lightning, Luigi's specialty, creates fire itself.
69. A tiny kick from Luigi's shoe can send you straight to death (or hell) in an instant.
68. Luigi's mustache is not mutated and is suave, unlike Mario's...tumor infested mustache.
67. Luigi can speak the English language better than Mario.
66. Luigi has indeed went to the dark side before, and therefore, has received cookies. (Then again, Mario has too...just not as seriosly).

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
So, will playing wi fi set you up for getting wrecked in offline tourneys? until i can drive im stuck with wifi, so i just want to know.
No. This is a mistake people go on about against wifi.

The first tournament you go to, go early. Play friendlies. You won't be playing like you do on wifi. I guess if you're really that concerned just play people with green connections. I'm lucky enough to have G-Reg live like, 30 min away and I have a blue connection with him on Wifi. Look for local matches on AiB or something.

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
After Boss quit, the title of "Best Luigi" is up for grabs. You're not allowed to reclaim it Boss. It's like a power struggle now... a power vacuum, if you will. A power vacuum that sucks in ghosts residing in a mansion. Luigi's Mansion. What was I talking about again? Oh yeah, WiFi requires a different skillset, but skill nonetheless. Beasts online are beasts offline, and vice-versa, because beasts adapt.

65. Luigi doesn't need a cape to fly.
64. Luigi's fSmash pokes eyes of shorter characters and fondles the groin of taller characters.
63. Tom Jones made a song about Luigi's nAir FF.
62. Evgeni Plushenko ice skated to Tom Jones' song about Luigi's nAir FF (your sexuality is in danger).
61. Superman wears Luigi underwear.

TreK

Is "that guy"
*hugs chic*

A2Z -> you should abuse Luigi's fireball in Bbrawl, it's safe on hit at least lol
but don't trust me, I already abuse it in brawl :V
Also, you dnair a lot.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
so guys I haven't been lurking my favorite thread in a while, did I miss anything good?

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
so guys I haven't been lurking my favorite thread in a while, did I miss anything good?
There was a long discussion about whether or not Luigi's recovery is predictable. Suffice to say that heads rolled in the heated argument. There was a lot of back-n'-forth about hippiedude's sexuality after someone posted pics of him in women's high-heels a few pages back. Other posters confirmed it was, in fact, the real hippiedude in that picture. Boss quit Brawl, many many pages back, but in this page someone confirms he's still in Brawl tourneys.

I'm also more than 1/3 into the list of things that make Luigi better than Mario.
60. Luigi's faces as he attacks.
59. Luigi's faces as he takes damage.
58. Just look at the detail compared to Mario. No contest.
57. Luigi's fans may be fewer, but they're more passionate than Mario's.
56. If we count the sex kick, reverse dTilt spike, and dAir spike hitbox, Luigi has 4 butt attacks.

...to be cont'd.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
55. The power of Luigi's cyclone attack is equal to the power of Hurricane Katrina
54. Luigi's green missile was the inspiration for the actual missile.
53. Luigi's always adjusting his hat because his brain is too large to make it stay on properly.
52. Luigi's a better model poser than Mario (Up taunt anybody?)
51. LUIGI CAN WALK ON WATER. (Mario 64 DS)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
*hugs chic*

A2Z -> you should abuse Luigi's fireball in Bbrawl, it's safe on hit at least lol
but don't trust me, I already abuse it in brawl :V
Also, you dnair a lot.
Lol good point. I don't spam that fireball enough.

And wow...seriously? Did I D-air -> N-air that much? That's odd, cause like in most matches I just spam D-air without the N-air lol.

I missed a lot of autocancels...I wonder how that happened. And then I did a fail job at trying to stop Big O from planking lol.

Still, I loled when I landed Up-B after the D-smash.

Yes: Why aren't you using the Fireball and Dash Attack? Hmm? Break yo'self.
I used a lot of Dash attack in that match actually lol.

It's actually an underestimated move in vBrawl. It's really good when you use it on an opponent that is near the ledge, cause if they shield, you'll just knock them off the ledge and they'll get caught in the last hits.

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Hold on i'm lost: Since when did dash attack become a good move? Shield it, Luigi's done for.

Only sn ok move on the edge :p.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Hold on i'm lost: Since when did dash attack become a good move? Shield it, Luigi's done for.

Only sn ok move on the edge :p.
It's good in BBrawl since the final hit is now guaranteed to connect.

But like it wasn't useless in vBrawl at any rate since you could ledge pressure with it.

∫unk

Smash Master
should i make a separate thread in here pointing at the hilarity of how bad hippiedude copied my guide then tried to pawn it off as his own?

he literally REWORDED most of my things

marth boards already laughed their ***es off

at least this isn't school hippiedude that **** gets you kicked out for getting caught

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
Link please. I am in the mood for offensively loud mockery. Or 100 pure defense of a friend. ...whatever.

PS. Suspect, I had assumed his name was funk. But i guess he goes both ways.

Top Bottom