• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - NO SPOILERS, USE THE SPOILER THREAD PLEASE

Kesusjade

Smash Rookie
I was unaware of SWS' place in the timeline, so yes, that makes perfect sense.

As for Happy Vaati's role, all I can say is that it better involve a god tier character theme. Speaking of which, are any particular composers confirmed for this game yet?

Eturnus_Frost

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1990-3003-7432
Well, even if they were to do it and NOT do it perfectly, there's always Happy Vaati to be the MAIN villain.
Besides, there are different incarnations of Ganny and Linky-boo throughout the timeline, right? Why would it be impossible for THIS particular Ganon to NOT see Link as a possible roadblock to his plans? Why can't THIS Ganon just realize, "Hey, this kid is pretty useful I think I'd like to be on HIS team."
If they did it right, you'd also be in suspense that Ganon would turn on you at any step of the way.
I don't mind them making Ganon deep and less menacing, though. Maybe we could have a less menacing Ganon for a Zelda game with a less serious art-style.
That works. Of course it isn't ''impossible'', but risky in SOME cases in my opinion.

I really need to catch up on a lot of the Zelda franchise, I barely remember Vaati..

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
To see Ganon as anything other than pure evil would ruin his image. What makes him so lovable is his absolute wickedness. If they make Ganondorf nice, even partially, it would change the way fans look at all incarnations of Ganon. It would make him seem more mortal than the in between state he is known to be.

Kesusjade

Smash Rookie
To see Ganon as anything other than pure evil would ruin his image. What makes him so lovable is his absolute wickedness. If they make Ganondorf nice, even partially, it would change the way fans look at all incarnations of Ganon. It would make him seem more mortal than the in between state he is known to be.
Well I am in no way saying he needs to be "nice" on any level. I'm merely saying that he could use Link in a different way than in OoT, i.e., sit back and chill while the hero does the dirty work.

I suppose I'm just kind of anxiousto see Ganny in a more active role, such as, say, the members of the Adventurers from TP. I think Ganon would do well to get out of his fortress once in a while.
Also I sincerely hope, as Ark said, that they don't just stick Ganon into the end of the game like in TP.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
You're forgetting that Ganondorf is not simply a character in the Zelda universe, but the embodiment of pure evil, if not evil itself. Ganon is more of a force than a being.

Player-1

Smash Legend
the figure at :33 in that trailer that looks like skull kid, IDK if it's just me, but it also looks like he is wearing Majora's Mask? It doesn't look like he is a main villain or anything like that though, just kind of like a normal enemy like he was in OoT in the lost woods, but still I could be wrong IDK. I'd love for some reference to MM to be made in this game.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
You're forgetting that Ganondorf is not simply a character in the Zelda universe, but the embodiment of pure evil, if not evil itself. Ganon is more of a force than a being.
That's not at all what makes Gannondorf unique, and it's not even how he is actually portrayed for the majority of the games.

Majora is much more a simple evil incarnate than Gannondorf is.

finalark

SNORLAX
ugh. People who want every LoZ game to have the same style as Ocarina of Time depresses me the more I read about them.

God this game is beautiful.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
It's a skulltilla, not skull kid. I thought the same until I saw the HD IGN trailer.

Also, if Ganon is in this game, my timeline-senses are going to have a hernia.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
It's very possible. It's impossible to say in either direction really. I get the impression that he is a major villain, even if he isn't the main antagonist.

It's just as possible that he turns out to be a Happy Mask Salesman type or even a good guy that plays a Sheik role.

Hell, he could even be Tingle's ancestor! i hope so

Eturnus_Frost

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1990-3003-7432

I didn't notice Ganondorf being portrayed any less menacing in Wind Waker..

Mind refreshing me a bit?

etecoon

Smash Hero
I don't get why this trailer has generated so much negativity over the graphics, at worst they aren't any worse than what we had already seen from the game, and I think it's looking to be pretty good. other aspects of this games development mostly make me optimistic, only thing I'm cynical of is the motion controls. which unfortunately is the core of the game :/

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul

His motives.

In WW, his motive is just to make Hyrule back to it's glory how he had back in OoT. Of course, to take it over, but he missed his home.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings

Most of this is revealed at the end of the game, but Ganon's motives are debatably not evil. Right before the Puppet Ganon fight, Ganon reveals that he wants Hyrule back because the island system created by the gods leaves the human race completely isolated from each other, and the areas which they live provide them with little chance of ever making their lives interesting.

But WW is really the only game where Ganon can be considered not-evil, though he certainly isn't good. In some others he may be portrayed as greedy, I.E. OoT and LTTP, but for the most part he's still evil.

Also, the good Ganon thing is a HORRIBLE idea. You don't just change the roles of the main characters, no matter how good of a plot it could make.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
When is Ganon ever portrayed as not completely evil in any of the games?
Gannondorf almost always has a motive. Compared to something like Majora which seemingly exists solely for "doing evil things".

Plus, in Wind Waker, Gannondorf is extremely sympathetic. He cares and longs for his old kingdom back and although is misguided at achieving those goals it's not completely seflish.

Note, I didn't say he didn't do evil things most of the time but he is rarely some gigantic incarnate of evil itself- he's just a guy/monster who does greedy/evil stuff.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Gannondorf almost always has a motive. Compared to something like Majora which seemingly exists solely for "doing evil things".

Plus, in Wind Waker, Gannondorf is extremely sympathetic. He cares and longs for his old kingdom back and although is misguided at achieving those goals it's not completely seflish.

Note, I didn't say he didn't do evil things most of the time but he is rarely some gigantic incarnate of evil itself- he's just a guy/monster who does greedy/evil stuff.
Hmmm, true. I completely forgot about WW.

Wasn't Ganon revealed to be a demigod or at least way more poweful than mortals in TP? You know, when he reveals himself to Zant? Plus the guy has managed to creep his was back into the world time and time again after being sealed away, and that's a pretty remarkable feat.

Of course that could be due to the Triforce of Power.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is Ganon shouldn't be a good guy.

Spire

III
BRoomer
And his motive? As he said in Wind Waker, his people were bound to the desert. The winds of both day and night would bring death, through heat or cold. They felt punished to live there, to be forcibly kept out of the lush green lands of Hyrule. That is why he sought dominion over the Kingdom—to bring his people a joyful life. In the eyes of the Hylia he was evil, but in the eyes of his people he was a selfless hero. The promising power of the Triforce is what corrupted him. If not for the Triforce, Ganondorf would be no different from the King of Hyrule. Two rulers with different cultural ideas.

Evil Iggy

Smash Cadet
I don't get why this trailer has generated so much negativity over the graphics, at worst they aren't any worse than what we had already seen from the game, and I think it's looking to be pretty good.
You know, I can sort of see where a lot of people can complain about the graphics. Take Wind Waker for example. That was (arguably) the first Zelda game that really turned Zelda into a kid's game. Gone were the days that you were fighting dragons that looked like they were spawned from depths of hell (WELL, they just look kind of silly now, but BACK THEN, that was some scary crap...) Instead, we got the "Hurricane spin" where cutesy little Link gets dizzy, and infinite sailing over cartoon oceans. Everything is quite bright and happy without the gravity of the situation crushing anything... A far cry from, say, the art direction of Majora's Mask, which to this day leaves me feeling a little uneasy.

That's not to say that WW graphics had nothing good about them. A certain amount of vibrancy made the world seem more fantastical than TP's color scheme, which had me thinking about the game as a medieval tale rather than a "mystical journey". Both are viable options, both accomplish different things. One showcases the fantasy realm, the other captures the intensity of the story.

Skyward Sword seems like it has captured a good portion of each. My only worry is what they are going to do with some of the characters, which may tip the scales. If I have to see Tingle one more time... the store clerk is going to die. Other people may die too. I'm just gonna go with it.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I for one would love to see Tingle, or at least some reference to him. So far from what we've seen, it seems like Nintendo is not trying to gimmick themselves with this game—there's a certain air of respect that pervades every bit of the game so far: from the architecture to the bosses. I feel a sense of "high honor" if that makes any sense. This is arguably the 25th anniversary Zelda game. They've been working on it for literally 5-6 years now, so I expect the best possible Zelda experience with their current technology. Will it be the best Zelda game? Who knows. But it sure looks like it so far.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Will it be the best Zelda game? Who knows. But it sure looks like it so far.
After watching the first 2 trailers for Twilight Princess most people thought it looked like the greatest game of ALL TIME...

I'm currently finding the trailers fairly underwhelming so far, so hopefully the next trailer will finally "wow" me like most great games have.

I already know it's going to be a great game I have no doubt about that... It's Zelda.

Eturnus_Frost

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1990-3003-7432
Most of this is revealed at the end of the game, but Ganon's motives are debatably not evil. Right before the Puppet Ganon fight, Ganon reveals that he wants Hyrule back because the island system created by the gods leaves the human race completely isolated from each other, and the areas which they live provide them with little chance of ever making their lives interesting.

But WW is really the only game where Ganon can be considered not-evil, though he certainly isn't good. In some others he may be portrayed as greedy, I.E. OoT and LTTP, but for the most part he's still evil.

Also, the good Ganon thing is a HORRIBLE idea. You don't just change the roles of the main characters, no matter how good of a plot it could make.
Thanks for that memory reboot..damn, it really has been awhile since I've played Wind Waker all the way through..

The whole Ganon teaming up with Link idea..I like it, but I'm still a bit iffy on certain aspects of it. I'd say it would need to be an extremely unstable alliance..

Eturnus_Frost

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1990-3003-7432
I'm currently finding the trailers fairly underwhelming so far, so hopefully the next trailer will finally "wow" me like most great games have.

If this newest trailer was actually the last trailer before the game is released, then I would say it was a bit of a let down, but, it would also be a good thing that they're not revealing much of the game to us..would show great confidence in my opinion.

And if this isn't the last trailer, which I'm positive it isn't, then the next will reveal obviously a lot more.

finalark

SNORLAX
Will it be the best Zelda game? Who knows. But it sure looks like it so far.
I personally think that the LoZ games have been getting progressively better, I'm fully expecting SWS to top TP as TP topped WW and as WW topped OoT/MM, ect.

I'm pretty excited for this, loving the improved combat, the impressionist style, Happy Vaati, everything.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
That's quite a stretch, but there's no point into getting into "best zlda" debate. But MM hasn't been topped imo.

I can't say I like anything about the game until I know at least something about the plot.

On another note:

That was taken from this article.

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/2011/03/another-look-at-the-e3-2010-skyward-sword-trailers-intro/

I find that this is a very interesting find because it brings more strength to the claim that the girl is the fairy queen. The icon given to her in game is identical to the art from the fairy queen in WW.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Ok, the only reason I could ever see a Ganon Link team up if Ganondorf literally kidnaps Zelda or Saria Equivalent and tells him to do 'this' or watch her suffer. He could stay completely evil and it could open up options for the player to perform misdeeds for the sake of his loved one in side quests.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I personally think that the LoZ games have been getting progressively better, I'm fully expecting SWS to top TP as TP topped WW and as WW topped OoT/MM, ect.

I'm pretty excited for this, loving the improved combat, the impressionist style, Happy Vaati, everything.
I'm sorry but I can't understand why you think the two 64 games were ever topped because they weren't IMO and it seems like they never will.

This "could" be the best zelda game and if it is, I'm afraid the obsession over motion swords will ruin it

finalark

SNORLAX

I'm sorry but I can't understand why you think the two 64 games were ever topped because they weren't IMO and it seems like they never will.
I know you love your old games, but I strongly disagree.

I feel that Wind Waker topped OoT in terms of atmosphere, game play, flow, nearly everything with the only real problem being the triforce hunt at the end.

I'm pretty excited for the motion-controlled sword. They're using it to make combat much, much better and more strategic (as apposed to previous LoZ games where the general strategy was "lock target, mash B and maybe block."). And hopefully the other motion controlled items and puzzles will make the game more immersive.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
^Remember though we don't play LoZ for the combat, we play for the puzzles, dungeons (including boss fights), storyline, and most of all, immersion.

I'm just hoping that since Nintendo's focusing so much on combat, they won't falter in the other areas.

kupo15

Smash Hero

I feel that Wind Waker topped OoT in terms of atmosphere, game play, flow, nearly everything with the only real problem being the triforce hunt at the end.

I'm pretty excited for the motion-controlled sword. They're using it to make combat much, much better and more strategic (as apposed to previous LoZ games where the general strategy was "lock target, mash B and maybe block."). And hopefully the other motion controlled items and puzzles will make the game more immersive.
yes you know me well. WW was a pretty good game not going to lie (except of course the hunt) but seriously, everything after N64 is super easy, predictable puzzles and the game plays itself. Exploration is also more limited and not properly rewarded either. MM felt the most alive immersive game in the series with its incredible backstory to everyone that is exciting to learn about and help. The masks and the bombers notebook is the best sidequest/reward system in any Zelda game I've played

And remember as I said before, just because the old games didn't have motion doesn't mean they couldn't incorporate the same puzzles that SS will have. You did have a horizontal, vertical and stab slices except they were never fully explored. I'm afraid that this Zelda will be a massive tech demo. That clip with the puzzle door did not help matters at all.

^Remember though we don't play LoZ for the combat, we play for the puzzles, dungeons (including boss fights), storyline, and most of all, immersion.

I'm just hoping that since Nintendo's focusing so much on combat, they won't falter in the other areas.
I like this guy

finalark

SNORLAX

I agree. It's just nice to see the combat reworked, and I did mention puzzles and the like.

everything after N64 is super easy,

Neither OoT nor MM were particularly difficult.

predictable puzzles
Again, OoT and MM didn't have any particularly mind-boggling puzzles.

the game plays itself.
Elaborate.

Exploration is also more limited and not properly rewarded either.
Wind Waker says otherwise. Plus, I never really got why everyone thinks that OoT is this massively open game with a ton of stuff to explore. Really, the world is kind of small and even though there is some cool stuff hidden around it's not anything special.

MM felt the most alive immersive game in the series with its incredible backstory to everyone that is exciting to learn about and help. The masks and the bombers notebook is the best sidequest/reward system in any Zelda game I've played
I kind of feel that this "MM IS THE MOST IMMERSIVE GAEM EVAR" is just kind of something that sprung from the internet. And really, I felt the only characters with a memorable back story that you get to help were Anju and Kafei. And what was the reward system again with the bombers notebook? I really don't remember that.

And remember as I said before, just because the old games didn't have motion doesn't mean they couldn't incorporate the same puzzles that SS will have.
True, I'm just interesting in seeing if Nintendo comes up with any original puzzles based around motion control.

You did have a horizontal, vertical and stab slices except they were never fully explored.
Which is why I'm interested in seeing what they do with it in SWS.

I'm afraid that this Zelda will be a massive tech demo. That clip with the puzzle door did not help matters at all.
Don't forget that Mario 64 was basically a massive tech demo.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

Speak for yourself. People play the games for different reasons, and the older games are heavily combat based. I also feel bad for anyone who plays Zelda for the storyline over the other aspects of the games.

Also, Wind Waker wasn't that great with exploration. It sure seemed like it at first, what with a whole ocean to explore. Too bad 85% of the islands are tiny little rocks with some rupees on them.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
The nostalgia counterargument is getting really old.

Also, just as a general comment: All the people who hail Zelda for its gameplay seem to forget that pretty much every Zelda game after OoT has has essentially the same combat system. And every game after LttP has had the same items. There have been no major changes or improvements to Zelda gameplay in over a decade.

The only things which have gotten better are puzzles and story, and those are only by virtue that they have consistent quality without incorporating the same element too heavily.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I disagree. Fight some enemies or bosses in OoT then immediately fight some in TP. There is a world of difference in fluidity even though it's technically the same control scheme.

You're also ignoring Majora's Mask and its masks/transformations, Wind Waker's grappling hook and floating leaf thing, and neat things (though quite underused things) TP had like the Dominion Rod and the Spinner.

In fact, that whole post comes off as attention-grabbing comments with little thought behind them.

Top Bottom