• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Korra

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
An analysis and posited story of the flashbacks Korra's been having

As of this morning’s episode, I think I’ve been able to piece together what happened 42 years prior to the events of The Legend of Korra.

A man named Yakone is on trial for his crimes - crimes that must be serious indeed based on the looks he’s getting from Sokka and Aang. He sits in front of the Council (including the Southern Water Tribe representative, Sokka) and waits for their judgement, Avatar Aang watching the proceedings carefully from the audience. The police are there as well, providing security, because this is a dangerous man.

Yakone stands up to give testimony on his crimes.

And that’s when it all goes to ****.

Everyone in the room save Yakone - even his own lawyer - are bloodbent into submission during the middle of the day. The important thing to note here is that Yakone is not the one doing the bending, as his hands are cuffed and he doesn’t appear to be using any sort of bending form, even beyond the fact that bloodbending dozens of people at once is a feat likely well beyond a single person.

Yakone is the head of the Red Monsoons, a bloodbending Triad, and they’re coming to his rescue.
The Red Monsoons were one of the first Triads formed in Republic City, if not the first, after their founder Yakone rediscovered the art of bloodbending. Every full moon they terrorized the citizens of the city, extorting money, committing murders, and threatening the stability and peace Aang had created. It took a long time, but with help from his friends, Aang finally managed to track down and capture Yakone so he could face justice.

Now they’re putting him on trial at Aang’s insistence, during the daytime so they’ll be safe from any Triad attacks.

Or so they think.

Yakone has discovered a way to bloodbend without the assistance of the full moon. His gang comes to his rescue during the trial, when almost all of Republic City’s most powerful figures are in one room, and make it so Yakone can flee.

But it doesn’t work. Why?

Because Katara arrives and bloodbends the **** out of Yakone himself, after investigating how they learned to do it and finding out that there’s a way to do it anytime. That’s why we haven’t seen her in any of the flashbacks yet, because it’s supposed to be a ~dramatic reveal~.

The Triad relaxes their hold on the people in the room out of shock and fear - could one of them accidentally be subjugating their leader? - and that’s all the opportunity Aang needs to break free and go Avatar State on Yakone, their battle taking them all the way to the street.

But just like in his fight against Ozai, Aang overpowers the State to keep himself from slaying Yakone, and instead removes his bending abilities and banishes him from the city.

Yakone leaves. And five years later, Yakone has a son.

Yakone taught his son the secrets of bloodbending, even if he could no longer perform them himself, and when he died, the young and clever Tarrlok traveled back to Republic City and began making his way up in the world. This is what Tarrlok means when he tells Korra that there’s a lot she doesn’t know about him.

In addition to the physical similarities, there’s hints in Tarrlok’s own words that he is Yakone’s son. Why would he choose events five years before his birth to justify the creation of his task force? For someone who’s only 37, he certainly seems to know a lot about what happened 42 years ago.

Tarrlok isn’t interested in getting revenge on anyone for his father - or at least, not yet. All he wants is power. Korra was a valuable ally for him, and so he was content to work with her for a time. But it was after she compared him to Amon that he snapped and attacked her. Why?

Because Yakone pumped his son full of bitter stories about how terrible it is to lose your bending. Tarrlok is going to such extremes in his efforts to take down Amon because the removal of bending abilities is his berserk button, so to speak, and now a man has appeared in his city with the power to do the same?! Tarrlok won’t stand for that. He’s putting all his effort into making sure Amon goes down, no matter what he has to do in the process or how unlikely it is that he’s fighting actual Equalists.

And now the Avatar - the direct reincarnation of the one who took his father’s bending - has the audacity to say he’s the SAME as Amon! Tarrlok isn’t going to take that. He no longer needs Korra as an ally, she’s begun to cause him problems, and now she’s pissed him off. It’s time for Tarrlok to remove her from the picture.

So he kidnaps her.

And he locks her up in the place in the mountains where his father fled after his banishment, and where Tarrlok was born.

You know. A place right “Out of the Past”.

It would be so nuts if this turned out to be true.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I believe it. Seriously, I enjoy the amount of thought that goes into these kinds of things. I have a feeling that this isn't too far from the truth, to be honest.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm confused. How do you figure that none of the Benders today could achieve that level of enlightenment? Is it because of the "encroachment" of civilization? As long as that part of the Bending culture is preserved, it shouldn't simply gutter and die. It'll progress and adapt just like everything else in the world.
Look at Uncle Aroh and Zuko at the end of TLA...and then look at the factory workers, that mobster who lost his bending, and Mako. I would say the definition of "inner peace" is quite different between the eras. I would consent to Mako perhaps having inner peace, but he's a bit hot headed as well. That still doesn't give justice to the factory workers.

Also, perhaps the technology required to refine the metal to such a degree wasn't developed until very recently. And Aang being a nomad has NOTHING to do with anything, really. Just the fact that he was the Avatar. Unless, of course, you're getting at his spiritual development...then I can kind of agree with that.
I meant that...because Aang is a nomad, he is naturally more intune with nature and his own spiritual side. The guy's upbringing was practically in the mountains. You combine that with the fact he is the Avatar...well his growth rate and potential is the sky.
Smooth Criminal
Just cause.

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
I don't see Mako as any more "hot-headed" than Azula and she was adept at using lightning.

Otherwise I kinda agree that metal- and lightning-bending are a bit too widespread.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Azula was a very calculating person, even when she went insane. With that being said, I would assume she would have lost her lightning bending after she had gone insane. However, she had that comet to boost her powers.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Wow that speculation is amazing and sounds very plausible.

I would love to see more of Katara. I'm a huge sucker for waterbending scenes!

SUNG666

Smash Ace
LA, CA (Glendale) Hook me up if ya wanna smash
Just watched the latest, it was fun

But it's just getting more and more absurd (in a bad way). It makes absolutely no sense why Tarlocks group isn't getting more backlash and that law being proposed was dumb, and those other council members raising their hands without so much as a discussion was even dumber. How in the world was Tarlock able to imprison Asami, Mako, AND Bolin on the spot when they hadn't done anything yet, if ANYTHING Korra would have been the most likely since she physically disturbed the operation. There're other things too... It's still fun watching (action is pretty sick) and I'll watch it to the end but it's just too unrealistic to where I can't enjoy it as much.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Azula was a very calculating person, even when she went insane. With that being said, I would assume she would have lost her lightning bending after she had gone insane. However, she had that comet to boost her powers.
calculating =/= inner peace.

Azula was the farthest person from inner peace.

I am almost certain Iroh was talking about reflecting lightning. That's the only thing he ever actually taught Zuko. Why would he be talking about generating lightning?

And even so, if Azula could find inner peace there's no arguing literally anybody else could do the same.

I also doubt someone would lose a previously held ability because their mental state faltered.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
^ He attempted to try and teach Zuko but after he failed at it he decided to teach him redirecting instead. Zuko couldn't produce lightning because he didn't have inner peace due to his inner conflicts still pressing on him at the time.

Okay. So blood bending can only be used at the full moon supposedly. There was an image of Tarlacky bloodbending Aang and the others I assume and probably got command of the city this way. Or, Tarlacky was on trial for something he did which the others knew about, but due to his manipulation he got set free. I wonder if there could ever be two avatars around despite what they say. Many shows like to throw in exceptions to rules near the end of a series to make it more interesting.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Also, mental state has a little bit to do with Firebending, at the very least. Zuko's ability to Firebend at all was greatly diminished when he decided to join up with Aang, for instance, because he had relied on his bitterness and rage previously to fuel his power. It wasn't until Toph (in the same episode) recommended that Zuko find another source to draw upon for his Bending---in this case, it was from that sect of Dragon Warriors and the ancient ways of Firebending. Part of it was methodology, of course, but the other part was inspiration and realization that Firebending isn't just about rage and anger.

Smooth Criminal

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Invite Amon to be part of council. Show ends. Plot over. Everybody wins.
I thought Tenzin would propose this but if Tarlok is intimidating the others than it won't happen.

As for Yakone...wasn't he a fire bender or was that just my imagination? I thought they said he was in like the third episode.

Also, it says book One: Air. Could there be a second season then?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
It was for deflecting.

I've already corrected this multiple times earlier in the thread. :mad:
My apolo....nevermind.

I made sure to check the Avatar Wiki. Under lightning bending, that is where they mention Uncle Aroh's comments about "inner peace" and "emotional detachment" when it comes to generating it. Something clearly none of these benders today have, which makes, as I said earlier...the plot out the window. I have feeling the same expectations should be met for Metalbending, given Toph had to work so hard to achieve it. Even if it's 70 years later, there's no way everyone and their kids should be able to generate either technique. I doubt Mako has found "inner peace" and "emotional detachment" let alone those factory workers who help make the cars.
Ah so it was for generating it. Anyway based on the rest of your post, maybe there's more than one way to create lightning. With enough people using it there's bound to be innovations. Y'know, like how most firebenders used rage when there turned out to be other ways to channel it. There's probably a 'science' behind it.
Yeah, it was definitely for generation that he said those things were required. Hence why Zuko could never learn how to do it. It's in Bitter Work iirc.

I don't necessarily think Metal bending being a part of the mainstream in 70 years is completely far fetched. Toph was pretty proficient at it in less than one season after discovering it. Yeah sure, her blindness gave her an edge on becoming proficient at it, but Aang not being blind also learned how to sense the vibrations in the earth similar to her in the course of like, two seasons. Teaching a mass group those basics doesn't seem too hard to grasp for me.

I liked it better when lightning was exclusive to the royal Fire Nation family, but I can deal.
I agree with what you posted about metalbending. Blue fire still seems to be exclusive to the royal family though. I wouldn't be surprised if that changed however.
I'm confused. How do you figure that none of the Benders today could achieve that level of enlightenment? Is it because of the "encroachment" of civilization? As long as that part of the Bending culture is preserved, it shouldn't simply gutter and die. It'll progress and adapt just like everything else in the world.

And Mako easily meets the criteria necessary for being able to manipulate lightning, considering the kind of character he is. Except where Bolin's immediate safety is concerned (i.e. when he was kidnapped), he's as cool as a cucumber and extremely thoughtful (as in, full of thought). Hell, I'd argue that his origins lend even more credence to the fact that he'd be able to Bend lightning---you don't survive on the streets acting the fool and trying to beat the **** out of everybody you meet. You gotta be smart and show a little circumspection; otherwise, you're gonna be just another statistic.

Smooth Criminal
Makes sense.

Invite Amon to be part of council. Show ends. Plot over. Everybody wins.
I thought it would be interesting if he became a council member, which reminds me: are there any non-bender council members? Because Tenzin DEFINITELY would've had an ally when Tarlock proposed that law. Now I wanna see Amon vs Tarlock. THAT would be amazing.

calculating =/= inner peace.

Azula was the farthest person from inner peace.
And even so, if Azula could find inner peace there's no arguing literally anybody else could do the same.
Yup.

I am almost certain Iroh was talking about reflecting lightning. That's the only thing he ever actually taught Zuko. Why would he be talking about generating lightning?
Because this was the first and pretty much only episode where lightning was explained. It wouldn't make sense to talk about redirecting lightning without saying how its generated--especially since Azula uses it often. And I thought Iroh was originally going to teach Zuko to generate it, but that failed and he had to learn the next best thing.

I also doubt someone would lose a previously held ability because their mental state faltered.
I wouldn't be surprised. There's things irl that can't be done in the wrong state of mind, so my guesses for Azula still using lightning while unstable are 1) she knows other methods to generate it. 2) Azula knows how to focus no matter what she's been through 3) Continuity error.

I wonder if there could ever be two avatars around despite what they say. Many shows like to throw in exceptions to rules near the end of a series to make it more interesting.
I doubt there'd be 2 avatars but...it might be possible I guess. They might get in eachother's way, but I bet Korra would like having to do less work lol.

Anyway, the good news about bloodbenders is that chi-blocking Equalists have NOTHING to prevent being manipulated. Forget metalbenders, we need a *Dai Li-esque black ops team of bloodbenders to hunt down Amon's forces.

*For those who didn't know, the Dai Li were actually created by Avatar Kyoshi to maintain peace, but they became corrupt after she died and harrassed Aang in Ba Sing Se. Turning on the reincarnation of your organization's founder--that's despicable.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
@ BirthNote: I agree with point #2 about Azula. It makes the most sense, considering how personalized enlightenment and awareness are ingrained in the martial arts culture; same can be said with certain tenets of Eastern philosophy as well. The Avatar world is practically centered around that.

To put it simply (since I'm at work): It's utilizing different means to achieve the same or similar ends.

Smooth Criminal

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Would be interesting if the other three are called "Blood" "Lightning" and "Metal/Platinum"

Unless they plan on beefing up Korra's skills, where she is creating tsunamis and volcanos...

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
[COLLAPSE="Spoiler"]Oh damn. I like the way you think Tarrlok!

But what happens when Korra inevitably returns to Republic City? What's Amon going to do about this set-up?

(Perhaps this is the point in the story where Korra develops her spirituality now that she may possibly be isolated from... well everything)[/COLLAPSE]

Grandeza

Smash Master
Holy hell. Amon basically completely ignoring Tarlok's bloodbending. No idea how he did that. It seemed to slow him down just a tad. First thing that came to mind was that he's an android of sorts but that's way too futuristic for the time period. Flashbacks were awesome. Solid episode. And did they say the next episode is the season finale? Already?

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Really good episode. Seeing adult team avatar was pretty great too.

Ok so the guy who deduced Tarrlok was Yakone's son was dead on and he was right about Yakone losing his bending.

And wtf Amon can resist being blood bent by someone powerful enough to do it at will? They definitely need to explore his background more because he is becoming an extremely interesting character.

/prettymuchwhathesaid^^^
:phone:

:phone:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Glad to see that Amon vs Tarlock did happen
. Setting a
black ops team of bloodbenders
after the equalists still seems like a good idea,
even if it doesn't work on the leader

Holy hell. Amon basically completely ignoring Tarlok's bloodbending. No idea how he did that. It seemed to slow him down just a tad. First thing that came to mind was that he's an android of sorts but that's way too futuristic for the time period. Flashbacks were awesome. Solid episode. And did they say the next episode is the season finale? Already?
Maybe...
Amon has prosthetics. Combustion Man had a metal leg and arm and that was 70 years back, so its very possible that prosthetics improved over 70 years.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
So bloodbending is completely and utterly broken, guys. Needs nerf now. Seriously, though, the only thing more astounding than the wide scope that Yakone/Tarrlock's bloodbending has is the fact that Amon just isn't affected by it. How???

It's nice to hear Toph still calling Aang Twinkle Toes. Just accept it, Aang. You are forever Twinkle Toes. Was nice seeing the old gang again. They grew up pretty much how you'd expect them to.

What does it mean to be Yakone's son? I guess I should instead ask, what was different about Yakone, to where he could bloodbend whenever?

I hope this won't be the end of Korra...hopefully we'll get more...I hope....they have to give us more...right!?

Anyways, phenomenal episode, like always.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Still wondering where Katara was at.

But I wish they explained this whole broken blood bending a bit more. They showed it, but there wasn't a how. Amon is overpowered, but very interesting.

Season finale two weeks from now already, geez.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Don't wanna read any of this.

Anyone have a good site that streams or has a download link so I can watch? PM me the link if you, my usual site is down, every site I check says it comes out tomorrow but I'll be busy tomorrow and I'm bored now.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Adult Toph was voiced by Kate Higgins, who nowadays is the voice of Tails in the Sonic the Hedgehog series. Fun to know.

And holy **** immunity to Bloodbending. Amon is just full of surprises. Though he seems to have just changed his mind on saving Korra for last if he wanted the Lieutenant and Equalists to tie her up to take with them.

I liked Tarlok through the whole episode, he just steadily lost his composure through the whole episode.

The finale's gonna be good.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Tarlok just proved to be scum, just not to the highest degree as his father. I mean, what's to say he couldn't be the savior while working in a more methodical and peaceful way? Like father, like son I suppose.

It's gonna be crazy to imagine how amped up Korra is gonna be by the end of this series. For now though, I guess I want to know more about Amon than anything else.

Btw, that
"Skeletons in the Closet"
episode Zuko's VA talked about is set to be part of the season finale.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
1 hour season finale, I wanted to see a war at the end but this better not be THE end. Although I would've been fine if this ep was the season finale and korra as just left in the snow to freeze. Stick to what you know best Avatars :troll:

Top Bottom