• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Korra

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Do the episodes come out every saturday there too? I already go on a site that's good quality and come sout around 2:00 my time every saturday.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Where's the best place to get caught up on this? I want to get started watching it soon, but I dunno if I'd just have to surf for reruns on Nick or what.

:phone:

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
All of the episodes that have aired so far were linked just a few posts ago. :U

I no longer understand how TV shows make money off of a series if they are willing streaming the shows in full on their site. Do they really charge that much for advertisements?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Man.

After seeing the Chi Blockers and other members of the Equalists in action, I gotta say:

Traditional martial arts and steampunk/magitech >>>>>>>> Bending. Lmao.

Seriously, though. You guys weren't kidding when you said that Episode 6 had some awesome fight scenes. Loved Korra's bout on the roof the most.

Smooth Criminal

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Just wait till anti-chi blocking tactics come up. Or actually just wait for them to be able to keep up with the chi blockers. Right now they are just simply much faster than the benders who are fighting.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I'm thinking Airbending will make the difference for Korra. I'm beginning to believe Airbending was made (not literally) to deal with chi blocking...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Benders need to learn to do some kung fu. Given Korra is the only one with multiple elements, everyone else needs to pick up on a secondary style.

Also, interesting that in the beginning, Korra got owned by two Equalists, but now she can take on an army lol.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
A good thing about airbending is that you don't really see it coming, unlike the other elements. The force and range is implied by how the airbender moves but that's basically all you can predict. The Chi Blockers also are great at dodging other elements because you can see a stream or a fireball or boulders coming at you, but unless its carrying something can you really tell which direction air moves in? An airbender could literally confuse and **** with someone's head based on the way they move. They can fake attacks like nothing and would be pretty hard to hit. This book is probably going to show that airbending isn't as playful and useless as some might think.

Also, I remember an interview from a few years back. Mike and Bryan were saying that although the Earth Kingdom had the highest population, a reason that the Fire Nation was winning was because they had more benders. They said bending comes from spirituality, and that civilization decreases it. Bearing this in mind, I think its safe to assume that there are a lot more non-benders in Republic City than benders. Amon has numbers on his side.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm thinking Airbending will make the difference for Korra. I'm beginning to believe Airbending was made (not literally) to deal with chi blocking...
Kinda, sorta.

I think the linearity of Bending is what gives the Equalists an edge. Most Bending attacks are telegraphed well in advance by Equalist insurgents thanks to the motions that Benders have to go through in order to use their Bending. No doubt that the training instilled into the Equalists deals with all the manuevers, the forms/katas needed to harness chi, and the baseline methods of elemental manipulation that each type of Bender is capable of. Add technology and chi-blocking techniques designed to incapacitate Benders and they're downright nasty.

Air definitely doesn't have same rigidity as the other elements (sans water), but still, it has some structure to it. That weakness is still there. However, if I'm thinking what you're thinking, the ingenuity that the element itself promotes will be integral to Korra. It'll be a breakthrough not so much in raw power, but rather, a breakthrough in how the Equalist fighters are handled.

Plus there's Avatar mode to consider...

HMMM.

@ Meestah Birth Note-ou: Dude, Airbending is NOT weak and useless. Aang used it masterfully and to great effect in the original Avatar. Hell, I think it's (arguably) the most versatile of all the elements besides Earthbending.

I also think it's kinda cool how they rounded out the traditional Chinese elements with the inclusion of the Metalbenders (Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, and Metal).

Smooth Criminal

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
@ Meestah Birth Note-ou: Dude, Airbending is NOT weak and useless. Aang used it masterfully and to great effect in the original Avatar. Hell, I think it's (arguably) the most versatile of all the elements besides Earthbending.

I also think it's kinda cool how they rounded out the traditional Chinese elements with the inclusion of the Metalbenders (Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, and Metal).

Smooth Criminal
I never thought airbending was weak, I just knew of people who wrote it off for silly reasons.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Air bendering is really evasive, so that will really help deal with chi blockers.

Also, metal bending is a branch of earth bending

Like blood bending is part of water. (and ice)

And lightning is part of fire

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
-facepalms.-

I know, Ussi, but you missed my point.

@ Birth: Sorry, I wasn't accusing you of anything at all. It was one of those emphatic agreement kinda things. Kinda hard to convey through text. Lol

Smooth Criminal

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Am I the only guy rooting for the Equalists here? I mean come on, they're only trying to protect themselves from the oppression that is bending. yo.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
I understand their position completely. If I was a non bender I'd definitely want to know chi blocking just incase. The show just makes them annoying because they unrealistically beat or outsmart benders in almost every encounter.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
O.o

I have a feeling that there's going to be some grey area that Korra and the gang run into while on their quest to defeat Amon and his anti-Bending movement. I guess at this point in the story the Equalists are supposed to be lionized as these fiends and raging badasses because their side of the story has yet to be revealed.

I don't think it's unrealistic that a highly trained, tightly-knit group of militia-types can outwit, outman, and outgun a buncha fuddy-duddy martial artists that have enjoyed an unprecedented level of peace and complacency for almost 70 years. They're far past the days of the Fire Nation's constant warring and strife where insurrections of this nature MIGHT have been commonplace.

That's just imo, tho'.

Also, I can totally see where the Equalists are coming from in their hatred of Benders. Benders have more or less dictated the course of history and civilization for as long as people in that setting can remember. Regular Joe Blow non-Bender has either been saved or damned by these powerful individuals, with little consideration put towards their own choices and merits. And that sentiment goes well beyond Benders as authority figures; you could also liken Benders being powerful, destructive weapons unto themselves, limited only by how they choose to apply that power, be it by themselves for their own selfish ends or at the behest of another's.

So, yeah. Still, I could be wrong about all of that and they could just be evil. xD Dunno. It's still fun to speculate!

Smooth Criminal

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Am I the only guy rooting for the Equalists here? I mean come on, they're only trying to protect themselves from the oppression that is bending. yo.
Yeah, because becoming a terrorist, taking away people's skills, and creating explosions is a good thing.. Think about how the automobiles, are made through lightning bending. You take their bending away, you take away automobiles, you take away automobiles, it essentially hurts your "economy."

Amon is a punk as it stands, and I suspect he's simply acting on his own vengeance. If there are so many equalists/non benders, he could have easily created a political group/gotten a seat on the council. But that would make for a boring show. Korra would have to take political science classes and earn a PhD in Economics.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
^^^ Cross your fingers there's still hope for a book following that version of the story.

*shrugs* I've always been on the side of the "powered" people like in x-men. They just tend to be more fun to root for.

I might start hanging out here more.

:phone:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
About the electricity and cars thing, without benders they'd find another way.

I think the only thing the Equalists will accomplish is simply taking powers away. That's not going to create peace, because that massive amount of new non-benders will just be pissed about what happened to them, and would want revenge. This will probably create a cycle, seeing as Amon is out for revenge for what happened to him, and his "victims" will feel as vengeful as he was. Also, since some people have likely relied on bending for even the simplest things, losing something so essential to them forever will probably make the life they had impossible for them. They'll have to adapt to their new predicament. Some will, but the ones who don't probably have a bleak existence left for them.

AND, what would stop a bunch of de-bended people from joining the Equalists and sabotaging the organization? Can they keep track of their growing number of victims to recognize them if they tried to join?

I'm positive that not all Chi Blockers have good morals. Its sick to say this, and it probably won't be addressed by the show, but I bet some of them would take full advantage of a live body that can't move. I'm also sure that benders have done it plenty of times too, because one of the things Aang's story has shown is that there are good and bad people of all kinds. Hopefully Korra can get the message across that not all benders are oppressive power-hungry monsters, and that anyone can do great harm or good.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Didn't the equalists also harm some non-benders in the audience and the announcer guy? It's not like they are benders and that shows that the equalists are kind of evil. They will hurt other non benders to get what they want.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Of course they'll hurt non-Benders. If you're not with them, you're against them. Sadly, that pretty much includes damn near everyone that's not in their group.

Smooth Criminal

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well as I alluded, they are punks or terrorists. Whatever word you prefer using.

I actually like how you can get into discussions like these with this show. The target audience can be kids who like action/teen romance to adults who can see into themes like this. Very rare to find.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
AND, what would stop a bunch of de-bended people from joining the Equalists and sabotaging the organization? Can they keep track of their growing number of victims to recognize them if they tried to join?
I'd think so, considering that an organization like this probably has record-keeping and counter-intelligence of some sort, just like any group of well organized terrorists/militia/extremists. If they didn't, well...there wouldn't be a plot revolving around them, now would there?

(And I'll bet it's a little more sophisticated than verification ala whipping out a flyer to a rally.)

I think the most insidious part of the Equalists is that it seems that people in Republic City have A LOT of freedom of expression. Recall the guy in the park protesting and passing out flyers...? Unless the authorities are going to snatch him up right away under an assumption that he's conspiring with the insurgents (which, if we look at the events from there and now, it could go that way at some point), he can champion whatever the hell cause he wants in the name of "personal freedom." And that works really well for the Equalists, 'cause not all of the people who give their support are directly apart of the actual organization itself. They very well could be just Joe Blow non-Bender who wholeheartedly supports what the Equalists are doing and what they stand for without being part of the organization proper. The Equalists, I think, wouldn't really give two ****s about their "fringe supporters" in that respect because they're serving an end: Obfuscation of their real operations, and protecting those members that are actually tried and true to the cause. Plus, that's just more fuel to add on to the fires stoked by their propaganda, and more people to help undermine the current scheme of things. It sows a lot of confusion, and that's what these guys want.

Damn, Bored, this is fun. Lol.

Smooth Criminal

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
when you say it like that, amon seems like a pretty legit villain. but man are his speeches cheesy lol.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
when you say it like that, amon seems like a pretty legit villain. but man are his speeches cheesy lol.
=/ Yeah. Dude needs a thesaurus or something. Still think he's cool, though.

It's purely speculation on my part, though. Only the authors of the show can really say one way or another about how these guys roll. Hell, for all I know, everything that I said about the Equalists could be disproved in a later episode and they could secretly stand for truth, love, and puppies. I'm just throwing ideas out there that make the most sense based on the info I have.

It's a lot of fun.

Smooth Criminal

Top Bottom