• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legend of Korra

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Fact: Fire bending is the root of all evil.

Kind of getting tired of everyone's terrible past equating to, my parents were attacked by a fire bender... who are they batman? uhh nvm. I just figured out that the fire bending criminal that aang dealt with years ago may be the one who killed everyone's family members. It'd make sense and make me hate everyone's painful backstories less.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm wondering if these recurring fire benders are some neo-naziesque group trying to restore the Fire Nation empire.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
It's a possibility. I don't imagine all of the Firebenders that were staunchly loyal to the Fire Nation getting on well with Aang's N.W.O (New World Order). I'm willing to wager that some of the more socially powerful ones, the ones that had a lot of political clout and a lot of money (a.k.a. a lot to lose), threw in the towel right away; by acquiescing in this way, they would only diminish themselves somewhat with the brunt of it being wounded pride and a lack of autonomy---a better trade-off when considered with the alternatives such as losing everything, being imprisoned, or even executed. They could keep their money and eke out a spot in the new status quo. Others houses and/or other political entities in the Fire Nation were too weak to do anything about it anyway, and going with the sweeping reforms was probably infinitely better than going against it.

Others, however, didn't give up so easily. Whether it was idealism, materialism, or whatever, I can see certain disgruntled individual members of the Fire Nation turning their backs on this **** and doing anything but being under the thumb of this new government. There seems to be a lot of Tong-like cartels operating in places like Republic City; one possible theory is that some of these criminal groups were started by those Firebenders that were once part of the Fire Nation, and they had resources and manpower somewhere that gave them enough wherewithal to start doing things their way. After all, after the death of a Nation, what's a patriot and veteran going to do...? Things aren't going to go back to the way they used to be, and they're sure as hell not going to play by their rules anymore. May as well put that martial training to good use, and use it all for yourself.

There could also be the neo-Nazi sorta Benders that want to restore the Fire Nation empire, as you said. These guys would probably be a super minority after all of these years, but it's very possible that some Joe Blow Firebender's great-great-great-great-great grandson was raised to carry a torch for the glorious days of yore where Firebenders were running the show. It's also very possible that there are more than one of these guys that have this in common. And even still, there could very well be a centenarian Firebender out there that could be spearheading a pocket of these young men. Maybe even more...

Smooth Criminal

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Either way, all those characters being killed by fire benders is way to consistent to be a coincidence. They have something planned.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'm still waiting for the moment when Deviantart floods up with "Makami" or whatever it's called where Mako is dressed up as Aladdin, and Asami looks like Jasmine.

Bonus points if Bolin is the Sultan and Pabu is dressed as Abu.

I don't swing to any particular shipping camp. So long as the writing's good I've no complaints what happens.
But Asami's father can he sultan.. Though would make more sense as the head guard with his attitude.. The biological connection though..

Well evil water bender would be nice.. But blood bending is OP

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I was thinking the same thing about the consistent amount of people having bad experiences with firebenders even after it was solved back when AAng was avatar.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
So yeah guys... I think...

Zuko is still alive. I took the time to "play" http://www.nick.com/games/legend-of-korra-welcome-to-republic-city.html?navid=showNav

Pretty much when you reach Central City Station and click on the image of Zuko's head, you get access to a biography of sorts. Here's the summary:

-Zuko worked with Aang on something called the Harmony Restoration Movement, which was a peaceful plan to remove the Fire Nation from the Earth Kingdom colonies.
-Zuko noticed that the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom colonies were so intertwined, he decided to found the United Republic of Nations.
-Three years ago (age 84), Zuko retired as Fire Lord and had his daughter succeed him.
-Zuko is officially retired, but unofficially travels the world as an ambassador of world balance.

Frolossus

Smash Lord
So yeah guys... I think...

Zuko is still alive. I took the time to "play" http://www.nick.com/games/legend-of-korra-welcome-to-republic-city.html?navid=showNav

Pretty much when you reach Central City Station and click on the image of Zuko's head, you get access to a biography of sorts. Here's the summary:

-Zuko worked with Aang on something called the Harmony Restoration Movement, which was a peaceful plan to remove the Fire Nation from the Earth Kingdom colonies.
-Zuko noticed that the Fire Nation and the Earth Kingdom colonies were so intertwined, he decided to found the United Republic of Nations.
-Three years ago (age 84), Zuko retired as Fire Lord and had his daughter succeed him.
-Zuko is officially retired, but unofficially travels the world as an ambassador of world balance.
zuko isn't the one killing people if thats what you are implying >_>

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I honestly have no idea how you inferred something like that. Also, use spoilers!

If anything, you'd think the opposite...

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
A bit more facts that probably aren't spoilers.

Bloodbending is mentioned as an advanced waterbending technique in the waterbending section.

The site mentioned that Republic City is powered by a plant fueled by lightning. The lightning benders make very little money.

Also, you can download a PDF that contains the rules of Pro Bending.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
:o That is awesome!

HA HA!

So there were some unhappy Fire Nation folks, although for slightly different reasons than what Kuma and I mentioned.

Ah, well. It is a big world after all, and no doubt there were some people that were ticked off for other reasons about the dissolution of the Fire Nation...

Smooth Criminal

I would sort of like to know why benders can only bend one element. Only the avatar can bend all four. Some people can only bend certain spin-offs of elements. And, why some people cannot bend anything at all.

It seems sort of stated without any reason for these restrictions. I'd be satisfied I guess if they at least said, "Chi is unique to each person. So not everyone can bend the same things." Something to that affect. I bet in the end all benders who lost bending get it back later somehow. The avatar givith, and takith away.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
People can't only bend just the spin-offs. Metalbenders can bend regular earth too.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
What Spelt said about the Bending "offshoots." Lightningbenders can still manipulate fire without impunity, as Metalbenders can with the earth, and so on. You could say that being able to Bend in that way is a form of mastery over those base elements.

The primordial spirits of the world conceived the concept of the Avatar during time immemorial, when all of creation was out of whack and everyone was fighting amongst each other. Since the spirits couldn't do much of anything to affect the material world, they needed an agent of balance to act on their behalf. Thus, the Avatar was born. Kind of a simplified version of things, but if I say too much I could be overextending the spoilers a bit as some of this stuff comes up as plot points in the first iteration of the series (Avatar: The Last Airbender).

*points to the link Aleate posted.* You should definitely read!

Smooth Criminal

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I know I'm extremely behind because I just now watched the last 5 episodes in a row and all I have to say is...

HOLY **** THIS SERIES IS NEARLY AS GOOD AS THE ORIGINAL!! EVEN BETTER IN SOME WAYS!! :O

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Oh my gosh. Guys.

There are...PRO BENDING RULES

In PDF form

And they make sense

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I feel like we should, because probending kind of represents that freedom, that unity, between benders and nonbenders. Right?

But probably not for a while.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, it'll be a while before probending returns. Maybe next season? It will dawn a new season of probending in a sense.

I say Zuko is dead, and that Azula's offspring is killing people
Unless she got a "get out of jail" card, I'm sure she rotted away in prison/mental institution.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Last few things I'll throw out there then I'm going to bed...

1. Someone needs to show Korra the light and make her go after Bolin. The dude is a straight bro, and so is Korra (in a more... feminine way). Perfect match.

2. I'm still highly anticipating Korra's first encounter with Aang. Manly tears will be shed at that moment.

3. Amon is the greatest thing that has happened in Avatar since Azula.

That is all... Goodnight peeps. Now that I'm finally caught up expect me to be a frequent. ^.^

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Part of me wants Korra x Bolin cause it's not cliche compared to Korra x Mako. At the same time, they are too similar to be together. I mean, it's like a bromance...but with a girl lol.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Yeah, I saw. I'm still excited, though. I finally get to understand this game.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Yeah, it'll be a while before probending returns. Maybe next season? It will dawn a new season of probending in a sense.

Unless she got a "get out of jail" card, I'm sure she rotted away in prison/mental institution.
You never know...

Also Pro bending could be a season all in itself and people would watch it. Heck they would even if they didn't like sport shows.

TheSaudiMizer

Smash Journeyman
So Amon still makes no sense. How he magically is able to take away people's bending is beyond me. I don't even know if if he's actually a non-bender. Considering that ability is supposed to be an avatar only ability, I'm assuming it has something to do with the ability to understand and perform all of the elements, which Amon has possibly obtained somehow.

Also trying to figure out how the water bender on the council is tied into this, since he definitely seems to be in some way.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Maybe Aang took that firebender who plagued republic city's bending and Amon was present and asked him how he did it and went on to find the Lion Turtle or some ****.

I wouldn't be surprised if Amon can't take away air bending due to the lack of air nomads and that becomes Korra's saving grace. I think it'd be awesome if he took her bending but she found air was intact and the chi-blockers didn't know what points to hit any more.

As a side note, I'm really pumped to see avatar mode/discussion with Aang. Some meaty backstory will definitely come later on and I can't wait.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
So Amon still makes no sense. How he magically is able to take away people's bending is beyond me. I don't even know if if he's actually a non-bender. Considering that ability is supposed to be an avatar only ability, I'm assuming it has something to do with the ability to understand and perform all of the elements, which Amon has possibly obtained somehow.

Also trying to figure out how the water bender on the council is tied into this, since he definitely seems to be in some way.
I wouldn't worry about it because we still don't know a whole lot about Amon and his backstory yet so I'm willing to bet that the show will eventually explain how he was able to attain this "power" in the first place.

I'm kinda wondering if Aang has anything to do with all of this... Maybe Amon learned how to do it from him somehow?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Isn't the most popular theory that Aang died "twice"? Once against Azula when he tried to go into the Avatar state and then one time naturally? So we have two avatars?

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
That has been disproved ... too many times.

Let's just wait and see what the show says about it.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Bro, if the Avatar dies while in the Avatar state, the cycle is broken. That means no more Avatar reincarnations. Aang didn't die when he went up against Azula; rather, he was on the brink of death and pulled back from it.

I think that Amon gleaned this power from the Spirit World somehow, or he could be a host to a very bitter
former Avatar. He couldn't be a true blue Avatar per se with the ability to manipulate the elements, but he could most certainly affect a Bender's abilities simply because of that wonky, otherworldly status and intimate knowledge of Bending.

It's hard to say without any further story details, though. We'll see.

MAH CRAZY *** IMAGINATION

Smooth Criminal

Top Bottom