• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Easiest/Most Difficult characters to play at a competitive level?

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I would say that its definitely captain falcon, or perhaps sonic now. Pretty much the worst characters ARE going to have the hardest time playing at a competitive level simply because they CANT keep up regardless of what you do in some matchups.

I would say that the easiest is probably Metaknight of Snake (I got a pretty decent Snake with just a bit of work), but I never really had trouble getting good with Lucario.

∫unk

Smash Master
LOL @ ppl saying Marth is easy to play competitively.

Any of you enter Marth in your next tourney. There's so much **** you need to know for every matchup.

Goto more tournies and stop theorycrafting please.

Popertop

Smash Champion
G&W is too easy. Just spam priority moves and you win.

Link, Bowser, and Luigi are hard b/c of the abundance of their difficult matchups, like Marth and Falco.

easiest by far
MK

then gaw and snake is pretty easy to IMO

and hardest is link IMO, low tier, he dies if you dunno how to DI and you got to know pretty many ATs to play him well. No link main has mastered him yet.

IC also seems a bit hard until you notice that everything you need to know is how to spam Ice shots and how to CG.

ganon is frekin hard to play, you have to be on your toes all the time and play close combat with a slow character and he is easy sandbagged. Now that is being hard to play

but who cares about a post beyond post 10?

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Lucario isn't easy to master at all. You literally have to change your play style for every single matchup in the game. If you die before 100% you most likely lost the match also. You have to have superb DI and spacing to master Lucario and not to mention mindgames. Lucario isn't hard to pick up and play him decently but there is only 1 person that has truly mastered Lucario.
It seems like many disagree on the difficulty of playing Olimar, Lucario, Diddy, Marth, and Falco.

But here's what I think...
Easiest:
1.MK
2.Olimar - Just camp and you'll do fine. His moves are extremely easy to learn, then you just need to learn how to use him beyond the ledge.
3.DDD

Hardest:
1.Sonic
2.Lucario - See quote
3.Marth - Spacing is far more important to Marth than others, that's why some say he's easy to use and others say it is not. If you mess that up, it could easily cost you a stock.

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
I thinks easiest are
MK
Diddy kong
Lucario
Pit
Zelda
Mr.Game and watch
Bowser

Hardest are
Snake
ZSS
Olimar
Link
ROB
Ganondorf
Falco

mimic_king

Smash Lord
I thinks easiest are
MK
Diddy kong
Lucario
Pit
Zelda
Mr.Game and watch
Bowser

Hardest are
Snake
ZSS
Olimar
Link
ROB
Ganondorf
Falco
I think you should switch Zelda and Falco. Falco is really easy to use, in terms of getting good with him. Chain grabs, short hop double laser, and very strong attacks make him easier for beginners. As for Zelda, well, she is really slow, which makes characters harder to play competitively.

And when I mean in terms of getting good with Falco, I mean for pros. Even though I said Falco was for beginners, I meant beginners to the competitive scene. Most people who play competitively are really good, but can still be competitively beginners.

Okay, I don't really know how to explain this, so just try to understand.

thenewaol

Smash Rookie
i think this is partially dependent on player mentality and individual specialties. i tend to play offensive/rushdown characters much better than others, so when i tried to play falco i just didn't get it. i was tempted to go for SH aerials, but that didn't work out too well.

in my opinion, in terms of offensive playstyles G&W and MK are easy to pick up. defensively however, i'm sure characters like ROB or diddy can do better.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
LOL @ ppl saying Marth is easy to play competitively.

Any of you enter Marth in your next tourney. There's so much **** you need to know for every matchup.

Goto more tournies and stop theorycrafting please.
In case you haven't noticed, this entire thread is theorycrafting. Every player has strengths and weaknesses in his/her playstyle and they will main the character that suits their style the best. You can't expect somebody who is a bumrush type of player to use Marth because that is not how Marth plays effectively. If the player sucks with Marth, it has nothing to do with the character. The player is simply not at "the high level of competition" that this thread discusses.

And I'd like to know the immense amount of **** you need to know for each and every matchup. I bet that as long as you know what you're doing on your end, you'd still do a bang-up job with Marth.

As for your challenge, Marth is just a little too effeminate for my tastes. No thanks.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
In case you haven't noticed, this entire thread is theorycrafting. Every player has strengths and weaknesses in his/her playstyle and they will main the character that suits their style the best. You can't expect somebody who is a bumrush type of player to use Marth because that is not how Marth plays effectively. If the player sucks with Marth, it has nothing to do with the character. The player is simply not at "the high level of competition" that this thread discusses.

And I'd like to know the immense amount of **** you need to know for each and every matchup. I bet that as long as you know what you're doing on your end, you'd still do a bang-up job with Marth.

As for your challenge, Marth is just a little too effeminate for my tastes. No thanks.
This topic is 95% of speculation against characters which they have not learned themselves, but just guessing that "This person looks easy to play, so he must be." Has anyone admitted, "My main is easy to learn,"? For example, people speculate that Diddy and Lucario are easy to learn, but I contend that they are both of the more difficult to use at a high level. Tournament-level players aren't easily fooled by simplistic banana tactics, etc. I think Sheik relatively easy to learn, though.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
just go backwards on da tier list =P
in the first post it said not to say things like this.

I think that MK is easiest due to his speed, damage racking, and good range of attacks (EG B and >B)
After MK is G&W because of his little rocket spam (easily counterable, but not before you've gained 10%+. In items hil final smash compares to the starfox charies (WOWWWW cheap) and he has good recovery and counters.
Wolf is up there too

Hardest: lucario because of his constant change in power and generally slow moveset.
And to all who say how easy marth is: His lack of projectile attacking is a major pain. His new spike is hard to SS and he's definitely not the speed demon he was in melee.

MBreeto

Smash Ace
I definitely agree that Olimar is a tough character to master. Playing him relies too much on sight for me and knowing which pikmin you have. My eyes just aren't that good...

CR4SH

Smash Lord
This topic is 95% of speculation against characters which they have not learned themselves, but just guessing that "This person looks easy to play, so he must be." Has anyone admitted, "My main is easy to learn,"? h.
Luigi is easy to learn.

I don't, however, believe him to be the easiest to learn. I had a much easier time with GW and MK. Like, MUCH easier.

And lol at all the defensive marths. You play a fairly simplistic character, learn it, live it, love it. Quit getting insulted over nothing.

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
I lol so hard every time someone says Olimar/Diddy are hard to play. The skill required to use Diddy is overrated. As long as you can glide toss you're pretty much good enough to compete.

Hardest:
Toon Link
Ice Climbers
Peach
Pokemon Trainer.

Easiest:
Lol practically every character in Brawl is easy to play.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Ike is easy to use, hard to apply.
This is true.

My personal experience easiest:
Wario
Fox

Hardest:
Marth
Toon Link
Falco

I know you made this out of experience but Falco and Marth aren't very hard to use. Toon Link and Fox are in the middle. Wario is pretty hard to use, but his beastliness makes him worth it.

POKE40

Smash Lord
I disagree to the part of "impossible to master"
Some will take a longer time to master.

Example:
Pichu is the lowest guy on melee. Yet even in competitive play, some pichu users can whip some people really good.

The guys that are easiest to master is
MK
G&W
and idk Wario?

They're easiest due to easy access to awesomeness

The guys that are hardest to master is
R.O.B: you'll get juggled and you're hated since of SSE lol
DK: assuming your vs. projectile enemies
Snake: timing

this is my personel opinion.
Good Luck!

akkon888

Smash Journeyman
Based on pure data from my matches.

Easiest:

Falco
MK
Snake

Hardest:

Ice Climbers
DK
DDK

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Meta Knight would be easy to beat if it weren't for his fast attacks, but NO! They had to make him so **** cheap with his gay quick attacks and finishing blows! Plus, his A-**** combo just adds more to his gayness with its edgeguarding skills against those not at pro level.

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
I thinks easiest are
MK
Diddy kong
Lucario
Pit
Zelda
Mr.Game and watch
Bowser

Hardest are
Snake
ZSS
Olimar
Link
ROB
Ganondorf
Falco
Seriously, WTF, was I thinking then >_>
Though, that post is nearly 1.7 years old anyway.

IMO hardest are:
IC
Olimar
Pika
ZSS
Wario
TL

Easiest:
Falco
Marth
Kirby
...Mario?

Bragi

Smash Apprentice
I thinks easiest are
MK
Diddy kong
Lucario
Pit
Zelda
Mr.Game and watch
Bowser
I have to disagree about the ease of playing Bowser, but only partially. He's kind of a weird character. The basics are very easy to pick up with him; for general purposes there's not a whole lot of skill involved in Klaw Hopping or his ledge game or whatever.

But his grab release game is a different story altogether. There's a serious degree of prediction, reaction time, and frame consistency involved. It takes a long time to pick up even the basics on it, as almost every character is slightly different as far as follow up options; and it's even player dependent, because to utilize it to the utmost the pattern of release has to be anticipated (if you want to ensure a ground release with Bowser's horribly slow pummel, for example).

So yeah, just picking him up in a casual way is very easy. But to get competent with Bowser is surprisingly tricky.

Jebu-95

Smash Journeyman
I have to disagree about the ease of playing Bowser, but only partially. He's kind of a weird character. The basics are very easy to pick up with him; for general purposes there's not a whole lot of skill involved in Klaw Hopping or his ledge game or whatever.

But his grab release game is a different story altogether. There's a serious degree of prediction, reaction time, and frame consistency involved. It takes a long time to pick up even the basics on it, as almost every character is slightly different as far as follow up options; and it's even player dependent, because to utilize it to the utmost the pattern of release has to be anticipated (if you want to ensure a ground release with Bowser's horribly slow pummel, for example).

So yeah, just picking him up in a casual way is very easy. But to get competent with Bowser is surprisingly tricky.

Umm... yeah. But srsly, look at the date of that post >_> It is My 1 and a half year old post which I Quoted. I was such a scrub back then.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
This title is misleading, since some characters simply aren't viable at a competitive level. It isn't because they're hard to use, its because they suck.

In terms of potential and growth in terms of a single character, I'd say the most difficult characters are the ones that are the deepest while still being compeititvely viable.

I think Peach, Marth and Olimar are difficult to play at a competitive level.

link2702

Smash Champion
Peach IS very difficult, I think Pit is too, as far as Arrow Raining and such.
if the pit main is using arrow gimmicks like looping/arrow raining then he's doing it wrong

this is coming from a pit main with plenty of experiance of trying to "master" said "techniques" who was at one time considered the 2nd best at the gimmick only behind admiral.

arrow looping/raining is useless, nothing more then a flashy gimmick, and anyone constantly using said technique with him is only hurting themselves in the long run.

as for most difficult/easiest to use.

well.....the obvious answer for easiest, would be metaknight, hell thats the main reason so many folks flock to him.

for the hardest....kind of depends, even though they aren't competitivly viable, the answer for just literally hardest to use, would be obviously the lowest characters on the list, ganon, link, ike, ect, because they are always gonna be fighting an uphill battle.

in terms of being competitvly viable.....hm...i'd say probably wario and diddy, seriously....wario just has a really awkward style of play compared to most other characters in the game, so you've got to really know wtf you are doing with him if you want to win, but obviously its definatly worth it.

with diddy, you've gotta master his nanners, pure and simple, you HAVE to learn to seriously master his banana game, not to mention be very cautious cuz your own weapons can be used against you....

tazmohanna

Smash Rookie
yoshi has not been mastered, how many pro draconic reversers have you seen? if yoshi's dr was mastered he'd be a lot higher tier for having a wavedash. of course there's plenty of other yoshi technique's just like there is with everybody, but the dr is absurdly on it's own scale of dificulty and necesity in order to REALLY compete in metagame.
after him i'd say peach is dificult and then diddy kong

for easiest i'd say mk cus he really can mess up most heroes with just nado, up b, and dsmash
then DDD and snake cus when in doubt u cud just pull out a grenade

Top Bottom