• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Easiest/Most Difficult characters to play at a competitive level?

mimic_king

Smash Lord
im sorry everyone, but why do you guys put gw as easy.

he's easy to get to a mediocre level, but really... how many really good gw's are there? what... 3?
how many good snakes/mks/ddds? too many to count...
Not many people choose to use GW, so it seems like all of the good players use snake, metaknight, and ddd.

snake has his arsenal of weapons, mk has his gayness, and ddd has his chain grabs and infinite. There is a reason why so many people use them. There may only be 3 good GWs out there, but it's because they're probably the only ones who use him. The reason not many people use him is because he doesn't have that many techniques.

Now I agree with you that GW shouldn't be put as easy, but your evidence to support it was wrong.

LordWeasel

Smash Rookie
Easiest:
MK (If u disagree ur an idiot)
Marth
DDD

Hardest:
IC (the Desync)
Zss
Sonic perhaps?

The Hardest are the best to get good as though, cuz their so much fun to win with (unlike MK)

RHCPFan1

Smash Apprentice
FOR CHEAPNESS:
MK
WOLF

FOR FUN:
Lucas
Mario
Luigi
Ness

Easiest:
MK
Marth
DDD

Hardest:
IC
Zss
Sonic

---

TreK

Is "that guy"
I disagree
ur an idiot. jk

GaW is the easiest to pick up and play imo, then MK, both for obvious points.
Marth third if you're good with spacing already. You just have to learn what works and what doesn't, it takes a week at most. If you're bad at spacing, then just pick up and play DDD.

Hardests are ICs that have one of the highest learning curves in the whole roster if not the highest, plus they have to overcome their lack of approaches and range and they have to learn to play popo alone too.
2nd hardest IMO is pika, along with ICs it is the only character i almost stopped to play because he was too technical and wasn't playable online. He has stronger basics, but if one wants to push him to the tops, he'll have to train really really hard o.o
3rd, but it may be biased, is Diddy, with all his setups, his ATs, and his playstyle overall, with no safe moves.
If Diddy isn't 3rd, then it may be pkmn trainer, ness or peach, i don't know... all of these are really hard to learn and each have over 9000 ATs.

LinIsKorean

Smash Journeyman
Because some people want to be able to brag about using a character which requires "more skill" than others. "Oh, look at me, I'm using a character which requires more technical skill than yours! I'm not winning with them, but at least my character requires skill!".

It's the same reason why some people play Low Tiers for the glory and look down on people who do not play Low Tiers and claim they deserve more props for using Low Tiers (I've met such a person).
QFT

Seriously, anyone who plays a low tier just because its a low tier is basically a tier w****. I also hate it when people use character johns, like "Oh I only lost 'cause I'm playing Captain Falcon" I mean seriously, don't pick Falcon then! Anyone who mains low/middle tiers should be picking them because they like their character or playstyle, not so they can make stupid johns.

More on-topic :

Easiest - GnW, MK, D3

Hardest - IC, Link, Sonic

Neenja13

Smash Cadet
If Falco can grab you at the begining it makes it alot easier for the falco user.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Addendum to my latest post:
I miswrote. The people who play low tiers for the glory don't play them because they require more technical skill to win, but because they require more work to win. Thus, they think that they are automatically better than someone who plays a better character, even if that player does much better in tournaments than they do.

Denzi

Smash Master
I miswrote. The people who play low tiers for the glory don't play them because they require more technical skill to win, but because they require more work to win. Thus, they think that they are automatically better than someone who plays a better character, even if that player does much better in tournaments than they do.
Or they simply like that character/find them fun to play as.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Or they simply like that character/find them fun to play as.
I'm sorry, I said such players do not exist when? I merely said that players who play Low Tiers for the glory do exist (I have met some of them).

They not only do it to get more praise if they win, they also make excuses if they lose. "Well, you're playing as Peach and I'm playing as Ness." was one player's excuse both for losing to me and for doing worse than me at a Melee tournament.

Browny

Smash Hater
So? ive played against good players who top tier ***** and they john just as much, if not more than anyone else ive ever seen when they lose. Johners exist on both ends :/

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I don't.
I just play Sonic cause I like him.

I am a total scrub.

LinIsKorean

Smash Journeyman
So? ive played against good players who top tier ***** and they john just as much, if not more than anyone else ive ever seen when they lose. Johners exist on both ends :/
Ok, I think Yuna was more or less pointing out the fact that you shouldn't pick a character so you can have built in johns for said character. Nobody said anything about top tier players not johning.

I don't.
I just play Sonic cause I like him.

I am a total scrub.
Nobody said you were a scrub if you play a character you like, either. Only if you choose that character just because you think you get some sort of reward for playing a low tier.

*sigh*

cman

Smash Ace
Probably the easiest is the person with the most **** matchups (Falco/MK?) because you don't have to learn a whole bunch of individual matchup stuff.

Blad01

Smash Lord
WTF?? How can you say that?
  • Falco is predictable... Extremely predictable
  • He doesn't have a lot of variety on his moveset, so it can be hard to mix up your game
  • He sucks offstage
  • His Fair sucks (that's not high level...But the fact that he doesn't have a lot of range in front of him in the airs, except with the lasers that don't stun enough)
  • It's hard to get the kill
  • It can be hard to get an early grab
  • He has a bunch of AT

=> Conclusion : You must learn his ATs, keep your game mixed up with a limited moveset, outsmart your opponent to come back on the stage, get a grab, and get a kill.

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
Marth? Are you kidding me? It takes so long to get his spacing down and develop mindgames, etc. You have to know when to use each move and since he doesn't have a safe kill move, you have to know when to use your kill moves, unlike MK and GnW, who can spam kill moves (Dsmash for MK, Dthrow techchase Dsmash/Usmash for GnW) and you have to make the most of every move you use.

If Marth were easy to use there'd be more than ~5 people that can use him effectively in tourneys.

And Easiest:

MK
GnW
D3
ROB
Falco
Snake
You pretty much described ROB right there, and listed him as the easiest. He can spam like a mofo, but it wont do **** in the competitive scene. ROB has fewer kill moves than Marth, and in fact ROBs moves are more riskey. Plus ROB is VERY un-agile. You have to keep using Glide tossing, RARs, Wavebouncing, and cancels to stay unpredictable.

And theres only like five ROB pros.

fissionprime

Smash Apprentice
You pretty much described ROB right there, and listed him as the easiest. He can spam like a mofo, but it wont do **** in the competitive scene. ROB has fewer kill moves than Marth, and in fact ROBs moves are more riskey. Plus ROB is VERY un-agile. You have to keep using Glide tossing, RARs, Wavebouncing, and cancels to stay unpredictable.
absolutely true, the thing with ROB at long distance is that though he has good projectiles, you can't use them continuously, and you do have to stay unpredictable and keep the opponent guessing as to when you will use a move with KO potential.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
ice climbers are pretty hard. if you lose one, you're screwed. there are times when nana will just act ******** and get killed.

Browny

Smash Hater
I think the reason why there is so few ROB, G&W, olimar pros is not because they are hard to master... its coz theyre not exactly the funnest characters to play. when the best way to win involves camping as hard as possible, spamming turtles and keys and always running away, trying to pivot grab the entire game I can see why not many people use them.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
this thread is stupid
its just some scrub fishing for "oh i hope they say my character" so that way he can gloat about how his character is difficult to master. who gives a sh..

wrong forum btw.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
DJBrowny, I COMPLETELY disagree with your assessment of ROB. I know someone who mains him (and is pretty good in fact), and let me tell you, he doesn't play because he can spam the **** out of his projectiles (If he did I would **** him easily and be a happy Kirby), but because he enjoys his character. There are a lot of things that ROB players have to do to keep their opponent guessing, especially since a lot of their moves (Nair, Fsmash, Dsmash, Usmash, Bair, Laser, sometimes gyro, and sometimes Ftilt) are really easy to see coming. Playing ROB is not nearly as simple as you make it sound
(Another friend I played recently thought the same thing as you actually. Then I ***** his **** as Sonic.).

As for the actual OP, it kind of makes no sense, because to play at the level you are describing, not only does it take knowledge of your character and skill at the game, but you have to have developed a good knowledge of your matchups, good mindgames, have to be good at adapting to unexpected situations, etc., and all those things count towards ALL characters.

Now if we consider who is easiest to pick up and be semi-decent/learn to play (AKA the learning curve I guess), then I'd have to say:

-Kirby
-D3
-MK
(Seeing a theme?)
Oh, and Jigglypuff.

Bah, this is ********. I'm looking at the character list and thinking every character has easier and harder things to learn, and none can really be clasified like this.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Easy: Kirby, Toon Link, Samus, Ice Climbers, G&W

Difficult: Sonic, Snake, Jigglypuff, Wolf
Try chaingrabbing, hobbling, and desynching online to see if they're easy to learn, because they have HIGH learning curve. Also, they have more than that, you have to keep Nana with you from keeping her separated. :bee:

Easiest IMO (Nothing seems to worry about when I play them)
Meta Knight
Game & Watch? (Not exactly sure... someone tell me)
Kirby <3

Hardest IMO
Ice Climbers <3
Diddy
Peach

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
I think the reason why there is so few ROB, G&W, olimar pros is not because they are hard to master... its coz theyre not exactly the funnest characters to play. when the best way to win involves camping as hard as possible, spamming turtles and keys and always running away, trying to pivot grab the entire game I can see why not many people use them.
I just explained that camping wont do crap in the competitive scene (unless it's the right matchup.) We see lots more D3 players, and hell, D3 was the only one I had to quit because it was so boring.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Try chaingrabbing, hobbling, and desynching online to see if they're easy to learn, because they have HIGH learning curve. Also, they have more than that, you have to keep Nana with you from keeping her separated. :bee:

Easiest IMO (Nothing seems to worry about when I play them)
Meta Knight
Game & Watch? (Not exactly sure... someone tell me)
Kirby <3

Hardest IMO
Ice Climbers <3
Diddy
Peach
Isn't it called wobbling?

Marth is not easy to play competitveily at a high level...
Doesn't the world champion of Melee use Marth? Doesn't he use Marth in Brawl too? Doesn't he win?

Marth is not hard to play with at a competitive level.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Wario is tough to play at a competitive level IMO, but then again once you do get competitive with him he is a beast. :)

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
Doesn't the world champion of Melee use Marth? Doesn't he use Marth in Brawl too? Doesn't he win?

I assume you're talking about M2K and not Ken, since Ken doesn't really play Brawl. Mew2King uses Metaknight in Brawl, not Marth.

and a very big LOL to the person who said Ice Climbers is easy to get competitive with. That's so wrong that I don't even need to explain it.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
I assume you're talking about M2K and not Ken, since Ken doesn't really play Brawl. Mew2King uses Metaknight in Brawl, not Marth.
I am talking about Ken, who was the World Champion of Melee. He used Marth. Although he doesn't play Brawl that much, he has still played Brawl before, and he used Marth. It was on Youtube.

AzNsAnTaGiN

Smash Cadet
Melee Marth =/= Brawl Marth
And Ken doesn't really play Brawl. He went to Evo because he happened to be nearby and got second to a ROB.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Wario is the hardest duh. If you don't know what you are doing you get grabbowned. lool

clowsui

Smash Legend
Solo Sheik is very difficult.
Extremely low KO power, low priority moves, only one move to force approaches (needles), lightweight, poor grab options, aerials are short ranged + have no disjointed hitbox, smashes are either laggy, predictable or slow...it takes a real friggin pro to be awesome with Sheik.

Samuelson

Smash Lord
Lucario isn't easy to master at all. You literally have to change your play style for every single matchup in the game. If you die before 100% you most likely lost the match also. You have to have superb DI and spacing to master Lucario and not to mention mindgames. Lucario isn't hard to pick up and play him decently but there is only 1 person that has truly mastered Lucario.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Solo Sheik is very difficult.
Extremely low KO power, low priority moves, only one move to force approaches (needles), lightweight, poor grab options, aerials are short ranged + have no disjointed hitbox, smashes are either laggy, predictable or slow...it takes a real friggin pro to be awesome with Sheik.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntkoUSScfRc

Think again. I know this is Melee, but still, she is just weaker in Brawl.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Isn't it called wobbling?

Oh, because people win with him he is easy. I don't even need to tell you how stupid this logic is, I would rather just point it out and laugh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntkoUSScfRc

Think again. I know this is Melee, but still, she is just weaker in Brawl.
Wait, because you think she was easy in melee, you think that makes her easy in brawl?

"Well, dair-shine worked with falco in melee, I bet it suuuure is effective in brawl"

Top Bottom