• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Easiest/Most Difficult characters to play at a competitive level?

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
I was wondering what the opinions of the SWF were on which characters were easiest/hardest to play at a high level of competition. (like MD-VA/Socal/NJ level)

Oh and for the toughest to master part of it, don't say the low/bottom tiers, as we all know they are impossible to master already.

I'm gonna start with my top 3 easiest IMO

1. Diddy Kong
2. Lucario
3. King Dedede

And then the 3 I think are the toughest to master

1. Falco
2. Zero Suit Samus
3. Snake

Add you opinion/argue you opinions if you argue with mine i might not respond since i'm feeling pretty lazy right now. I probably won't argue my case.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Metaknight, Marth, GnW for easiest most definetly.

Ice climbers, olimar, pikachu for hardest

brinboy789

Smash Champion
i was gonna say inb4MK but...

i'd say G&w but everybody takes a reasonable amount of practice to get at a competitive level

i'd say hardest would be link, falcon, and bowser

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i was gonna say wario for hardest.
i mean obviously hes not the HARDEST to play.
but you get it.

Mk, marth, DDD, ****ing MK
did i say MK?

Nicole

Smash Champion
I'm gonna start with my top 3 easiest IMO

1. Diddy Kong
2. Lucario
3. King Dedede

1. Falco
2. Zero Suit Samus
3. Snake
Diddy is the number 1 easiest character to pick up and play?? Are you serious? Diddy has so many aspects to his metagame - glide tossing, dribbling, single nanner locking, double nanner locking, nanner placement, barrel cancelling, peanut gun proper usage, pivot dribbling...and more!
IMO....
easiest to master
1. Meta Knight
2. G&W
3. DDD

toughest to master
1. Diddy
2. ZSS
3. Olimar

kevinw0w

Smash Journeyman
I made a thread just like this. Except it was with "characters with highest/lowest learning curves".

It went ok.

1. Diddy Kong
2. Lucario
3. King Dedede

1. Falco
2. Zero Suit Samus
3. Snake
That list of yours is so wrong.

Easiest:

1. G&W
2. Meta-Knight
3. um... Marth?

Hardest:

1. diddy
2. Ice climbers
3. falcon?

Denzi

Smash Master

Seems about right to me, but I think Link is tougher to learn than Olimar.
I always seem to have a difficult time using Marth, but that's just me.

Snare

Smash Lord
<-bias toward oli, so i cant say he's hard to learn

id say since this is hardest character to "learn", not to win with, would be ice climbers, diddy, and ness.

easys would be mk, gnw and marth for me

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
LMAO at people saying MetaKnight is the easiest to master.
Why do you think MK wasn't known as the best character in the game when it first came out... because MK wasn't the easiest to master. Infinite Dimensional Caping is not easy.
Easiest characters to learn are.

1. Mario
2. Kirby
3. Dedede

Hardest to master

1. Ice Climbers
2. Link
3. Sonic

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Easiest:
DDD
MK
Mario

Hardest:
Peach
Olimar
Diddy
Snake?
Mario? What the heck? Mario gets knocked around way too easily for him to be labeled as easy to play as in a competitive setting.

In my opinion:

Easiest:

1. Metaknight
2. Mr. Game and Watch
3. ROB
4. King Dedede
5. Falco

Basically these are characters that don't have that much of a learning curve or have so many good matchups that you don't have to know them inside and out in order to do fairly well. Basically, these are the characters most people will pick as their secondaries even on short notice.

Hardest:

1. Samus
2. Yoshi
3. Shiek
4. Sonic
5. Bowser

These are characters that if you don't know exactly what you're doing, you're going to get the crap beaten out of you. Again, this doesn't mean that all these characters have the highest learning curve (for example, I didn't put the Ice Climbers or Snake there) but they are characters who are borderline impossible to just "wing it" with. For example, if we were to be honest with ourselves, you can do pretty well with Snake if you know a few grenade tricks and how to space his tilts right.

Barge

Mario? What the heck? Mario gets knocked around way too easily for him to be labeled as easy to play as in a competitive setting.

In my opinion:

Easiest:

1. Metaknight
2. Mr. Game and Watch
3. ROB
4. King Dedede
5. Falco

Basically these are characters that don't have that much of a learning curve or have so many good matchups that you don't have to know them inside and out in order to do fairly well. Basically, these are the characters most people will pick as their secondaries even on short notice.

Hardest:

1. Samus
2. Yoshi
3. Shiek
4. Sonic
5. Bowser

These are characters that if you don't know exactly what you're doing, you're going to get the crap beaten out of you. Again, this doesn't mean that all these characters have the highest learning curve (for example, I didn't put the Ice Climbers or Snake there) but they are characters who are borderline impossible to just "wing it" with. For example, if we were to be honest with ourselves, you can do pretty well with Snake if you know a few grenade tricks and how to space his tilts right.
I saw "steak" in your post. Im not a sonic board wh0re, but putting sheik right next to sonic makes lolmemes appear

kevinw0w

Smash Journeyman
LMAO at people saying MetaKnight is the easiest to master.
Why do you think MK wasn't known as the best character in the game when it first came out... because MK wasn't the easiest to master. Infinite Dimensional Caping is not easy.
Easiest characters to learn are.

Infinite dimensional Cape is banned. That point is irrelevant.

No, MK is SECOND easiest to master. Behind G&W.

Anyone can master MK within two weeks, tops.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
People you need to read the OP. The question is, who is easiest/hardest to use at a competitive level?
Not who's quickest/hardest to learn or master.

Denzi

Smash Master
People you need to read the OP. The question is, who is easiest/hardest to use at a competitive level?
Not who's quickest/hardest to learn or master.
Easiest: It's still between MK and G&W.
Toughest: IC's (obviously) and Link.

Backward

Smash Cadet
I do hope people don't seriously believe Marth to be an easy character to use at a competitive level. Tipping everything bar D-Tilt requires a lot of experience with him. Also, knowing his frame advantages.

EDIT: G&W for easiest.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Marth isn't exactly easy.
Hes easy compared to other characters.

Backward

Smash Cadet
Well, I do agree he's not too difficult in comparison. It's just that spacing with him is even tighter and absolutely vital.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
these lists are so stupid

hardest - mid tiers

easierst - top then high tier

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Easiest to use is an odd question. Ask who it is easiest with to win at competative level. See tier list.
Because some people want to be able to brag about using a character which requires "more skill" than others. "Oh, look at me, I'm using a character which requires more technical skill than yours! I'm not winning with them, but at least my character requires skill!".

It's the same reason why some people play Low Tiers for the glory and look down on people who do not play Low Tiers and claim they deserve more props for using Low Tiers (I've met such a person).

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Because some people want to be able to brag about using a character which requires "more skill" than others. "Oh, look at me, I'm using a character which requires more technical skill than yours! I'm not winning with them, but at least my character requires skill!".

It's the same reason why some people play Low Tiers for the glory and look down on people who do not play Low Tiers and claim they deserve more props for using Low Tiers (I've met such a person).
If someone wins a tourney with Link, they'd receive more praise than someone winning with MK. It's one thing if they're losing but john about their character or expect some sort of "well, Link's hard to use" after you've beaten them...but if they're genuinely good with an underused character...I suppose I'd give them props.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
If someone wins a tourney with Link, they'd receive more praise than someone winning with MK. It's one thing if they're losing but john about their character or expect some sort of "well, Link's hard to use" after you've beaten them...
Yes, this guy was saying how his character (Melee Ness) required "more skill" than mine (Melee Peach) after I'd beaten him once again as if it mattered.

but if they're genuinely good with an underused character...I suppose I'd give them props.
Why give them props for using an underused character? Give the props if they're winning with a bad character, not an underused one. Either way, if you're using Low Tiers just to (or at least partially to) get more props, then I could care less how well you do.

People like that are attention*hookers*.

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
Yeah now that you think of it. ROB is top tier but never wins tourneys. Marth, Lucario, Diddy, Snake, Wario and MK are the easyest to use by that logic. Falco also kind of has trouble with tourneys, same with DK and Kirby and IC's.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend

FAIL!

Marth? Are you kidding me? It takes so long to get his spacing down and develop mindgames, etc. You have to know when to use each move and since he doesn't have a safe kill move, you have to know when to use your kill moves, unlike MK and GnW, who can spam kill moves (Dsmash for MK, Dthrow techchase Dsmash/Usmash for GnW) and you have to make the most of every move you use.

If Marth were easy to use there'd be more than ~5 people that can use him effectively in tourneys.

Hardest are:

IC's
ZSS
Pika
Olimar

And Easiest:

MK
GnW
D3
ROB
Falco
Snake

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Why give them props for using an underused character? Give the props if they're winning with a bad character, not an underused one. Either way, if you're using Low Tiers just to (or at least partially to) get more props, then I could care less how well you do.
Slip of the tongue. I usually associate underused with bad either way....seeing as underused characters are generally bad and overused ones are good.

Barge

FAIL!

Marth? Are you kidding me? It takes so long to get his spacing down and develop mindgames, etc. You have to know when to use each move and since he doesn't have a safe kill move, you have to know when to use your kill moves, unlike MK and GnW, who can spam kill moves (Dsmash for MK, Dthrow techchase Dsmash/Usmash for GnW) and you have to make the most of every move you use.

If Marth were easy to use there'd be more than ~5 people that can use him effectively in tourneys.

Hardest are:

IC's
ZSS
Pika
Olimar

And Easiest:

MK
GnW
D3
ROB
Falco
Snake
Marth is easy to win with IMO. That's all I was saying, he's a pretty basic character thats quick to learn and understand.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Marth is easy to win with IMO. That's all I was saying, he's a pretty basic character thats quick to learn and understand.
Not basic to use well though. I'd like to see a bunch of random n00bs pick him up and "Use Him Well at a Competitive Level" like it says in the thread title.

Top Bottom