• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Conduit (FC's First Page)

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Wait what I heard is that it comes out the 23rd. I hope this game turns out good. I would really like to see customization and decent FPS on the wii become standard. From the dev diaries it seems the guys worked really hard. I hope it pays off.

I hope the core wii community actually jumps on this game. I think some casuals may even enjoy it as well.

taste_the_beast

Smash Apprentice
Dont worry, they still
have plenty of time to work on
it to get it up to shape and work
out all the flaws. so i think itll be great
and cant wait until it releases.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Wait what I heard is that it comes out the 23rd. I hope this game turns out good. I would really like to see customization and decent FPS on the wii become standard. From the dev diaries it seems the guys worked really hard. I hope it pays off.

I hope the core wii community actually jumps on this game. I think some casuals may even enjoy it as well.
I kinda hate the term casual. But to put casual enjoyment in perspective, the definition of casual this generation includes your mom, your grandma, and you six year old brother. If any of them would enjoy this game, then there are "casuals."

I hope this game does well myself, but people don't currently buy the wii to play games like this. The reason why Sonic always does best on a Nintendo system and De Blob is doing well is because people buy the wii to play games like that. They weren't "casual" games at any point before this generation, in fact, they were exactly the type of game a hardcore Nintendo fan expected when purchasing a gamecube.

If the Conduit does well, awesome. If it does poorly, it's because "core" and "core Nintendo" are NOT the same thing. I still want an good FPS with good online multiplayer for the wii, so I really hope this delivers.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Huh. In the newest trailer, it was shown to be rated T. Looks like I won't have to argue with parents for this one.

Also no split screen multiplayer makes werekill unhappy. Even though I know it's a graphical impossibility and the controls would have been a bit weird with it, it still is bad news.
Dont worry, they still
have plenty of time to work on
it to get it up to shape and work
out all the flaws. so i think itll be great
and cant wait until it releases.
for some reason, I hate when people do this kind of post structure. Gets on my nerves. No offence.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Huh. In the newest trailer, it was shown to be rated T. Looks like I won't have to argue with parents for this one.
Your right, it is rated T. That changes thing a bit. It's also very surprising to me; I kinda assumed it would be an M-rated game, but this is better
IMO

My biggest concern is that I have no idea how good it is or even what it is, for that matter. It seems like a cross between Halo and Metroid Prime, but the story (which is important to FPS's), difficulty curve (also important), and multiplayer (almost essential to me) are all still unknowns. I don't like to speculate too much without knowing those factors.

Anyone else notice that the still-frames of this game aren't nearly as impressive as the game in motion? I've noticed some serious lack of detail and simplicity in the non-moving objects, but these are completely masked when the game is in motion. It's an interesting work-around, though.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I also noticed that. I feel like that's something that happens in general. Also, I feel that the game will look better on an SD TV than on a high resolution computer monitor. SSBM looks horrible on flatscreen, but looks awesome on my standard definition.

The big thing that bothered me were jaggies, and those seem less noticible in the most recent stuff.

for some reason, I hate when people do this kind of post structure. Gets on my nerves. No offence.
I don't know why people do that, they have to hit enter, so it actually takes more effort and doesn't flow. I don't know what the point is.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Anyone else notice that the still-frames of this game aren't nearly as impressive as the game in motion? I've noticed some serious lack of detail and simplicity in the non-moving objects, but these are completely masked when the game is in motion. It's an interesting work-around, though.
Motion blur works wonders, it's an easy way to mask detail and keep the frame rate steady in a believable way. I don't really use it much in most PC games [except Burnout, I always use it in that] but if I did it would probably improve my frame rate at the expense of good screenshots.

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
Just saw the level walkthroughs on gametrailers.com. Looks pretty cool so far. Surprised to see some Illuminati and Freemason symbology in the opening movie, hopefully they will be playing as the bad guys behind the conspiracy. Or I'll be pissed.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I was just thinking, there are supposedly 12 FPS's on the wii (High Voltage said so).

Of those twelve FPS's, 3 of them sold a million copies (Red Steel, Metroid Prime 3, CoD: WaW).

That means that a FPS on the Wii has a 25% chance of selling a million copies.

Now, I wonder what would happen if we compare that to the percentage of successful minigame compilations...

I know that the sales of a game have nothing to do with it's quality perse, but the odds of creating a new IP are directly linked to sales. The Conduit looks good, but is there a guarantee of seeing more Conduits in the future? That depends. Thankfully, it's not a port, and it probably only has to hit the profit thresh-hold to have a sequel, which is lower on the wii than any other system.

Unfortunately, we don't know the story and can't judge the quality of controls or multiplayer yet. If those are bad, the game won't be worth playing anyway. The latter should be decent enough though, judging only by what we've been shown.

I only have access to one system. I won't buy an Xbox until more action adventure games come out (and the quality of the hardware is beefed up a bit), and I won't buy a PS3 until the price comes down, so I'm stuck hoping that this won't be the last good game for the next year and a half. Unfortunately, I won't be completely happy if this succeeds and we get Fallout 4 because of it. Color is something games need a little of this generation, something that seperates Halo from everything else in the genre. The Conduit appears to have color, but the hardcore Xbox games generally tend to shun the creative use of a color pallet.

Note: curiously, I believe that there are supposedly 12 M rated titles for the wii, compare to 7 M rated titles for the DS. If I mix up my numbers, I apologize, but I am fairly sure there are 12 FPS's, about half of the being WWII shooters. I know all three numbers are less than 15 for certain, so I'm pretty sure they are all correct.

Darkslash

Smash Master
LIMITED EDITION!

So it includes

-24-Page art book featuring exclusive concept art and digital imagery sharing the creative process in bringing the world of The Conduit to life.
-The in-game “All Seeing Eye” (A.S.E.) Device featuring custom detailing and projected light. Allowing you to unlock puzzles and discover the secrets of The Conduit
- “Secret Agent” Multiplayer skin which helps you dominate your enemies in intense multiplayer battles.

It seems this is only available to EB games and Gamestop.

I am so pre ordering this now.

Also Eric just dissed Medal of Honor Heroes 2

: We could run at 60 fps as well if we wanted to look like a PSP game ported to Wii, which is what Medal of Honor Heroes 2 is. I do appreciate their high frame rates, but I can point to a lot of AAA first person shooters that run at 30 fps. And in all honesty, if we felt it legitimately impacted gameplay, we would have scaled back the art to accommodate higher frame rates. Gameplay is king. But I think we've found a solid balance of fun gameplay and fantastic visuals.

OHHH SNAP

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
LIMITED EDITION!

So it includes

-24-Page art book featuring exclusive concept art and digital imagery sharing the creative process in bringing the world of The Conduit to life.
-The in-game “All Seeing Eye” (A.S.E.) Device featuring custom detailing and projected light. Allowing you to unlock puzzles and discover the secrets of The Conduit
- “Secret Agent” Multiplayer skin which helps you dominate your enemies in intense multiplayer battles.

It seems this is only available to EB games and Gamestop.

I am so pre ordering this now.

Also Eric just dissed Medal of Honor Heroes 2

OHHH SNAP
But Medal of Honor Heroes 2 is a PSP port.

Come to think of it, it took me a really long time to realize just how awesome this game will be. The controls will be perfect because, well, I get to set them up myself. The online will be awesome, as we've been shown it and it looks great. The graphics will be awesome; because we've seen the graphics and decided, even if they are only average for an Xbox 360 game, that the game itself is a good looking Xbox 360 game. And the enemies will be varied with weapons that have multiple uses because we've seen varied enemies and weapons used in multiple ways.

I guess it's time for me to preorder this. Although I do worry about motion sickness (a factor that kept me from playing Metroid Prime 3 for more than an hour at a time), this game will probably be worth it, simply because we already know how much more superior this game will be to all the other FPS's we've seen at a minimum.

I was also just thinking how awesome it would be if movement was mapped to joystick, camera to control pad, and actual aiming mapped to IR pointer. But I doubt anyone thought that up, because it is such an atypical design that would lead to a possibly overly-complex control scheme.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
New Trailer (this one's about the story):

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14248157/the-conduit/videos/theconduit_storytrailer_42909.html

I must admit that I am impressed. It might be cliche, but it sounds epic all the same. I'm actually more impressed that the High Voltage managed to make a story trailer that doesn't give away spoilers.

Odd though, usually when a highly anticipated FPS is coming out, someone calls it a "Halo Killer." While the mere fact that the game is being compared to Halo guarentees that Halo is a household name that'll stay no matter how much better the new game is, I would think the term would be used in reference to the Conduit more often. Especially since it looks so much like Halo.

Darkslash

Smash Master
New Trailer (this one's about the story):

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14248157/the-conduit/videos/theconduit_storytrailer_42909.html

I must admit that I am impressed. It might be cliche, but it sounds epic all the same. I'm actually more impressed that the High Voltage managed to make a story trailer that doesn't give away spoilers.

Odd though, usually when a highly anticipated FPS is coming out, someone calls it a "Halo Killer." While the mere fact that the game is being compared to Halo guarentees that Halo is a household name that'll stay no matter how much better the new game is, I would think the term would be used in reference to the Conduit more often. Especially since it looks so much like Halo.
Thanks for the heads up man. Seriously I got chills from the trailer. Despite its cliche sound nature, it just sounds awesome. Personally I think this FPS is in a different League from Halo. Its more of a FPS with adventure on the side, like its a 180 of Metroid Prime.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Now that we had our building blocks set, the next thing for us to do was to start researching conspiracy theories. Let me tell you one thing about conspiracy theories… there are a lot of them out there. This made it very difficult to choose… do we use the one about the origins of Area 51 or the UFO crash in New Mexico? And then it hit us… why choose? Why not use ALL the conspiracy theories, urban legends, and myths that are out there?
http://blogs.ign.com/HV_TheConduit/2009/04/30/119265/

Never mind my previous post, I've never seen this idea implemented. Now I know the story will be awesome.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Conduit Contest - EDIT: Remix the Conduit's soundtrack.

http://www.acidplanet.com/contests/conduit/

There's a contest to make remixes for the Conduit's soundtrack disk. My first thought is "Is this for Real?" My second thought is "This confirms the music will be good - Is there anything about the game the isn't confirmed to be good left?" and my thisr thought is "The Conduit is too good to be true, but I can't think of anything that was forgotten, and I've been searching. The music was the last hing I could think of that could be weak. Time to pre-order."

Note I misunderstood the contest, and altered my post.

Seventh Sword

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1951-0055-5151
Yeah, the depth of the game seems pretty amazing. Hidden meanings seem to be engraved quite deeply into the game, which is pretty awesome.

Still wish EU would get the Limited Edition though. That custom ASE looks awesome.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
This sounds like the must get game for the Wii.
And I personally think that the Wii needs a few more hard core games.
Because of the crappy games like "Red Steel" I thought people would just give up on the Wii but after
seeing this I know its going the right way.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Wow that trailer was just amazing. One of the best I have seen. I am really excited about this game.

-NEOLINK-

Smash Journeyman
I am actually more excited for the single player than the multiplayer. Is that weird? The storyline is really interesting to me, and I'm one of those "collect and find every detail" sort of gamer, so it seems like I would enjoy it a lot. Hopefully it has a good single player structure that allows for speedruns that feel rewarding to do instead of tedious.

Seventh Sword

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1951-0055-5151
I am actually more excited for the single player than the multiplayer. Is that weird? The storyline is really interesting to me, and I'm one of those "collect and find every detail" sort of gamer, so it seems like I would enjoy it a lot. Hopefully it has a good single player structure that allows for speedruns that feel rewarding to do instead of tedious.
Not weird at all. I feel kinda the same way. I just can't wait until people start to piece everything together. Maybe there'll be hints as to the nature of a sequel within the main story.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I am so going to speedrun this game. any1 want to explain how their controls might be
Max sensitivity with the largest bounding box available. Jump (if there is a jump) to A, shooting to B, crouching and autotargetting/scoping to z and c, grenades to nun-chuck waggle, and reload to down on the control pad, with weapon pickup to up and weapon switch to left and right. Unless I can use the control pad to control the camera, in which case, I haven't decided. And run speed to 100%, naturally.

Unseen_Killa

Smash Apprentice
Why would a superhero game compete with a Wii fps for a different console? Seems pretty unlikely. Especially at this time of year.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Why would a superhero game compete with a Wii fps for a different console? Seems pretty unlikely. Especially at this time of year.
Its the money, since its the recession, people who own more than one console aren't going to have 120 bucks around. Your either going to spend it on one or the other.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm one of those guys who despite having the cash to buy both, will go with Arkham Asylum. The Conduit seems like a good title to rent.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I'm one of those guys who despite having the cash to buy both, will go with Arkham Asylum. The Conduit seems like a good title to rent.
Unfortunately, The Conduit will be a bad title to rent, for all the same reasons Halo 3 is a bad title to rent. It is supposed to have the best online multiplayer of any wii game, which means that you will probably go back to it several times. Unless you're not particularly into multiplayer, in which case it's a good title to rent. (Although I find it strange you would pick Arkham to buy, only because it's a single-player licensed game. Those types of games generally seem like rentals to me.)

BTW, High Voltage has developed a hilarious list of games.

http://www.high-voltage.com/games.htm

I'm sure we all remember instant classics like "Dora saves the Snow Princess," "Go, Diego Go!" and "The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy." EDIT: It turns out "Go, Diego Go!" is their highest reated game since 2005:laugh:.

(Although personally, I expect the Conduit to be good. High Voltage appears to be a company that seeks easy profits, and right now, the easiest way to make a profit is to make a high-quality original IP in the FPS genre for the Wii with online multiplayer, and then have it rated T. No other title has all those qualities, but the closer an FPS gets to having all of those qualities, the more it is purchased, with a quarter of all Wii FPS's selling over a million copies.)

Spire

III
BRoomer
Unfortunately, The Conduit will be a bad title to rent, for all the same reasons Halo 3 is a bad title to rent. It is supposed to have the best online multiplayer of any wii game, which means that you will probably go back to it several times. Unless you're not particularly into multiplayer, in which case it's a good title to rent. (Although I find it strang you would pick Arkham to buy, only because it's a single-player licensed game. Those types of games generally seem like rentals to me.)

BTW, High Voltage has developed a hilarious list of games.
I prefer single-player games over multiplayer [online] games. I can play a single-player adventure game over and over and over, but online shoot-em ups? Not my thing.

However, The Conduit does look very promising for what it's proposing, so I hold nothing against it. Just not my thing.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Well I can see this game doing well. You can't complain about the controls, as the entire thing is customizable (although I do kinda have a liking on the default control scheme 1 [Washington, according to an IGN video]), and the only 3 movement controls are point, thrust, and flick (Nunchuk). Music is great, and, well, it is essentially a Halo for the Wii, except instead of aliens trying to destroy us in outer space, they're trying to destroy DC (and all those lousy conspiracy theories are true, albeit modified [apparently there's something called the trust in this game, how much do you wanna bet that it's a fictional version of the free Masons?])

Darkslash

Smash Master
(and all those lousy conspiracy theories are true, albeit modified [apparently there's something called the trust in this game, how much do you wanna bet that it's a fictional version of the free Masons?])
The Trust is a cell of the Secret Service. Its a group composed of the top agents in the Secret Service, like from the story, Michael Ford.

Ohh yea E3 09 High Voltage is showing 2 more Wii exclusives, and supposedly both of them are FPS'es.

http://kotaku.com/5237030/high-voltage-new-wii-exclusives-can-handle--tens-of-on+screen-enemies

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I can not wait for this game!!!!

Except for the part were it doesn't have Split-Screen Multiplayer...

That... I am not happy with
Well, lets think about that. (although the original reason was supposed to be graphical requirements)

Split screen multiplayer in an IR pointer game.

Split screen: divides the screen into four, small parts.

IR - places your shots based on where you aim at the screen.

Split screen IR - Either places your shots based on where you aim the cursor in your tiny little quadrent, or places your shots based on where your pointing on the big screen while only altering your little screen. Could end badly.

Not saying I don't want it; just saying I can see a lot of reasons it wasn't included (Although come to think of it, is it included in any wii IR FPS?)

Incidently, since all multi-player is online, I can't see how a competitive community could develop. Not a bad thing perse, but if it is as good as it looks like it will be, then The Conduit's competitive community will have an extremely interesting developement. (because you know somebody is going to set up 12 player homebrew based lan parties using 12 televisions, wii's, and copies of the Conduit for tournaments. The Conduit is probably the only IR game that actually qualifies for having a competitive community, after all.)

Top Bottom