• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Coaching" Debate.

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
I naturally block out crowds, I didn't even know I got coached until I saw that video and heard Waffles' commentary..:redface:
and how do you explain it that you were using significantly more backairs right after shroomed told you to do so? this cannot be a coincidence.

Quic

Smash Journeyman
and how do you explain it that you were using significantly more backairs right after shroomed told you to do so? this cannot be a coincidence.
Even if this is true, what does it prove? That Amsah himself is guilty to breaking a rule that doesn't exist yet? What you're arguing is like Puff getting banned for some reason, and looking down upon Hbox for using her pre-ban, it's ********.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
I always wonder if people like you don't grow tired of themselves.

I naturally block out crowds, I didn't even know I got coached until I saw that video and heard Waffles' commentary..:redface:

But yeah, I'll do that next time..
isn't pausing not allowed in tournament?
i was hoping the sarcasm went through my post, i can't tell if amsah was taking my post serious or not either lol. was just poking fun at how poundslap is trying to make him look like a hypocrite since people were yelling advice at him

no tones through posts ftl

also with each post i'm more convinced poundslap is slightly disabled in one way or another. no offense!

Pengie

Smash Lord
Is it really? I wouldn't be surprised if it was, but there have already been like three different alts of his.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
that's been my assumption since the beginning, but if youre saying it's cause hagger was banned then i wouldn't say that would be why, since i've seen hagger quote posts from poundslap, obviously licking his(own?) ballsack while licking armadas

nvm i guess hagger made an alt account just to say 'poundslaps ****** this thread' to get banned again. i wouldn't doubt it's him at all

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
^Prove it.

While you're at it, prove to me you're not ********.

i was hoping the sarcasm went through my post, i can't tell if amsah was taking my post serious or not either lol.!
Nah, I got it..:awesome:

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
Lol amsah i dont have to argue with you. I just think its lame that you insist on coaching getting banned so hard when you obviously are getting coached yourself. If people really would think you are against coaching they wouldnt do it. So why did they tell you these things to do? Youre not making any sense.

And people who feel superior to disabled are really pathetic. Its a mental illness after all and i seriously think people who exclude disabled people are disabled themselves.

Mizar

Smash Ace
And people who feel superior to disabled are really pathetic. Its a mental illness after all and i seriously think people who exclude disabled people are disabled themselves.
I'd love a discussion about this.

Anyway, like metalreflectslime said: "He didn't ask for coaching".
If he asked to be coached, your point would somewhat be valid.
But he didn't, so it's not.

I can't believe that logic failed to help you understand all of Amsah's posts.
It should be clear to you by now, or you're just trolling your *** off.

Either, that or you are indeed teh retardedzz

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
But if amsah didnt ask for coaching shroomed and the others wouldnt have coached him because they knew that amsah doesnt like that. This leads me to the point that this was arranged between amsah and shroomed

Mizar

Smash Ace
But if amsah didnt ask for coaching shroomed and the others wouldnt have coached him because they knew that amsah doesnt like that. This leads me to the point that this was arranged between amsah and shroomed
Dude now you jus talkin craaaaazy.

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
Im just telling the facts. The facts that you ignore because youre a fan of amsahs sheik probably and dont even consider amsag being a trickster.

Mizar

Smash Ace
Im just telling the facts. The facts that you ignore because youre a fan of amsahs sheik probably and dont even consider amsag being a trickster.
Sounds to me like you're making up stuff to fit your story.
I'm not excluding the possibility of your statement, I just think it's unlikely.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
My arguments and analogies are based on personal experience (what I've seen, what I've done, what's been done to me).

But I don't see why it matters. Whether or not they're hypothetical doesn't make my points any less valid.
thats way dumber than his question

your hypothetical points can be completely invalid if theyre untrue in practice, that has nothing to do with coaching and is very basic logic

based on MY personal experience, i think a lot of you guys are really overestimating the value of coaching within the context of a single match

are we talking about "in-game" coaching, or coaching at all? coaching in between/before matches was always allowed as far as i know, while "in-game" coaching had a specific ban in most tourney announcements back in the day. if youre trying to ban coaching not during games, thats just stupid, might as well ban reading the boards. theres no way to draw the line between coaching and simple advice.

if you think in-game coaching is gamebreaking, i dont really know for sure, but i can tell you that from what ive seen, its not enough to really change the outcome midmatch, unless maybe you have a good player coaching a bad player against another bad player

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
So everyone's Omniscient now huh..? :redface:

thats way dumber than his question

your hypothetical points can be completely invalid if theyre untrue in practice, that has nothing to do with coaching and is very basic logic
It'd be dumb if it wasn't for the fact that hypothetical points don't need to be based on experience to be true in practice.

based on MY personal experience, i think a lot of you guys are really overestimating the value of coaching within the context of a single match
We're not arguing about the value. We're saying that if it has any value at all it shouldn't be allowed. Read and understand the arguments before posting will ya?

are we talking about "in-game" coaching, or coaching at all? coaching in between/before matches was always allowed as far as i know, while "in-game" coaching had a specific ban in most tourney announcements back in the day. if youre trying to ban coaching not during games, thats just stupid, might as well ban reading the boards.
You can't read the boards in between matches. Otherwise I'd ban it too.

theres no way to draw the line between coaching and simple advice.
Coaching = Advice given to you during a tournament set
Simple advice = Advice given to you outside of a tournament set

I just did the impossible.

if you think in-game coaching is gamebreaking, i dont really know for sure, but i can tell you that from what ive seen, its not enough to really change the outcome midmatch, unless maybe you have a good player coaching a bad player against another bad player
You pretty much destroyed your own argument.

It doesn't change the outcome of a match, unless..

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
hypothetical points don't need to be, of course not, but the definition of a hypothetical point is that it is untested in practice, and therefore is not necessarily true until tested.

so when are you allowed to not give advice anymore? when they sit down? when they find out who they have to play? after the first match starts? in case you didnt notice, that statement about not being able to draw the line was part of my point about not-in-game coaching. does in between matches count as in-game, in your mind?

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
hypothetical points don't need to be, of course not, but the definition of a hypothetical point is that it is untested in practice, and therefore is not necessarily true until tested.
The concept of help improving performance isn't really something that needs to be tested anymore.

so when are you allowed to not give advice anymore? when they sit down? when they find out who they have to play? after the first match starts?
When the set starts. Which is when the first player picks his character (or when they start stage striking). Though most people aren't for banning coaching entirely but just during matches, so in that case it would be when the match starts.

in case you didnt notice, that statement about not being able to draw the line was part of my point about not-in-game coaching.
I guess I misunderstood you there, but if you read through the thread you would've seen that my definition of coaching already answers your question.

Coaching is considered to be any advice or instruction audible or visible to a player.

Does in between matches count as in-game, in your mind?
No. But I'm against that too.

Composeur

Smash Ace
Lol amsah i dont have to argue with you. I just think its lame that you insist on coaching getting banned so hard when you obviously are getting coached yourself. If people really would think you are against coaching they wouldnt do it. So why did they tell you these things to do? Youre not making any sense.

LMAO

You guys, he's just joking.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
How much difference do you think it made?

I'm not trying to call you out with that quote, I'm just curious as to what you have to say about coaching.
*shrug*

Not sure. At any rate, it's sort of a joke, sort of not a joke. I didn't get the kind of coaching these guys are talking about. I IMed him before the tournament and asked him how to beat Peach/Puff/other characters and about general spacing stuff. I talked with him for a while, he gave me some really good advice and strategies I should experiment with and I spent a lot of RoM3's first day doing just that.

I didn't speak to him during the tournament until after I beat Dr. Peepee on the second day, and that was mainly to troll the "textstream". And it wasn't during matches or anything. Typing while playing a match would be pretty pro though.

It did help a lot though. I'm always so nervous vs Peach. And Vanz's Peach is ridiculously good :3

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I would really hope people understand the difference between preparing for the tournament and being coached mid match. Its the classic example of studying vs using a cheat sheet...

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah, there's absolutely nothing wrong with asking for advice before a match. Whoever says otherwise would probably want to ban smart phones during tournament so people couldn't use youtube to see how how to fight a character they're not used to fighting lol.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
sorry for the double post but i just noticed that AMSAH should be the last one to complain about coaching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q76jzEBqUiw#t=0m43s

"everyone is choaching amsah"
"shroomed in the background telling him to backair"

thats really pathetic amsah.
SO the **** what. You act like he told them to throw tips at him.

Ur such a troll or a huge dumb guy.

not to mention, its easy to do **** like change your mind. As of right now, Amsah and all the other non yous are against coaching.

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
sorry but to me this sounded like amsah requested coaching after he realised that hes down 0-2 aigainst hungrybox. i think it was also the same with armada. amsah has never had a chance against armada so he would have done everything to beat him. in their set wife and husband talked about the grab combos and what sheik has to do. and as far as i know the recording set up was very close to the tv itself so amsah could hear it. what is even more amsah plays the pal version so he couldnt possibly be used to the grab combos in ntsc which indicates he got also coached by wife and husband.

i dont wanna be compared with dumb people or trolls. i actually see things other people dont see and i dont think thats dumb. i think youre dumb that you arent open for new opinions.
and the next one who compares me to vbm is gonna get slapped. the heaviest different between us is that MY POSTS ARE ACTUALLY MEANT TO BE SERIOUS.

guys, cant we have nice things?

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Because amsah never practiced the NTSC version before coming over here.

Definitely not, no way.

Impossible.

Nihonjin

Striving 4 Perfection
BRoomer
sorry but to me this sounded like amsah requested coaching after he realised that hes down 0-2 aigainst hungrybox. i think it was also the same with armada. amsah has never had a chance against armada so he would have done everything to beat him. in their set wife and husband talked about the grab combos and what sheik has to do. and as far as i know the recording set up was very close to the tv itself so amsah could hear it. what is even more amsah plays the pal version so he couldnt possibly be used to the grab combos in ntsc which indicates he got also coached by wife and husband.

i dont wanna be compared with dumb people or trolls. i actually see things other people dont see and i dont think thats dumb. i think youre dumb that you arent open for new opinions.
and the next one who compares me to vbm is gonna get slapped. the heaviest different between us is that MY POSTS ARE ACTUALLY MEANT TO BE SERIOUS.

guys, cant we have nice things?
If there was such a thing as a ****** Fallacy, this would probably be it.

Mizar

Smash Ace
what is even more amsah plays the pal version so he couldnt possibly be used to the grab combos in ntsc which indicates he got also coached by wife and husband.
Yes, thats exactly what it indicates. Don't kick logic back the the stone age. Pretty please? :(

Btw I think you're doing surprisingly well at becoming the biggest troll on smashboards.

Top Bottom