• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Yesz.

Also, like Lord said.
It's much easier to direct your DI curve if you use Bair, opposed to Uair. Even though the Uair comes out much quicker, if people want to direct themselves down at a curve, their best option is to use Dair immediately afterward, which is EXTREMELY long compared to Bair, while DIing downward, then if you need to you can use a Uair or something after your jump.

As long as you can get that jump in while in the midst of DIing, you'll be fine. If you think you can DI downward better with Uair, then go ahead and do that. lol.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Yep. The Falcon Punch's hitbox reaches behind Falcon slightly. If that part of it hits a shield, it gives him a momentum boost and he gets pushed behind them.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Yesz.

Also, like Lord said.
It's much easier to direct your DI curve if you use Bair, opposed to Uair. Even though the Uair comes out much quicker, if people want to direct themselves down at a curve, their best option is to use Dair immediately afterward, which is EXTREMELY long compared to Bair, while DIing downward, then if you need to you can use a Uair or something after your jump.

As long as you can get that jump in while in the midst of DIing, you'll be fine. If you think you can DI downward better with Uair, then go ahead and do that. lol.
Wat

I think you meant "momentum cancel" instead of "DI", but even with that I don't understand your logic.

Aerials don't affect the "shape of your DI curve" (wat²), they just allow you to :
1- FF as soon as you started the aerial,
2- jump as soon as it's finished.

No more, no less.
The shape of your DI curve is only influenced by how you initially DI, when you FF and when you jump (and of course if you're holding your control stick toward the stage).
It doesn't matter when the hitbox of the aerials come out.
It doesn't matter if you do another aerial after the first or after you jumped.
And Yesz, Uair is Falcon fastest aerial

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Teluoborg you want to use the aerial that comes out fastest to stop the bulk of your momentum asap. And more aerials spammed = more momentum stopped.

Rorar

Smash Rookie
Sup guys Ive been playing with falcon lately and been having a blast but I have been finding it hard to hit with FH Nair any suggestions? Also can anyone post some u-tube vids of some good falcons I have seen most of lord helmets vids and ally

Player-3

Smash Hero
don't focus on FH nair

it REALLY ISN'T THAT AMAZING

it's useful if you see an opening but never push for it, just wait for an opening, then unleash the fury of kick to yezs (only useful option out of it IMO, except for utilt at kill %s)

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Sup guys Ive been playing with falcon lately and been having a blast but I have been finding it hard to hit with FH Nair any suggestions? Also can anyone post some u-tube vids of some good falcons I have seen most of lord helmets vids and ally
Lol, I'm that good. I just have a lot of videos up because no one else wants to upload anything.

As for FH Nair just work on spacing and timing, idk Rebaz's video might help

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0c6ueMThqo)

_Fizzy_

Smash Rookie
What usually works for me is JC into a FH Nair and from there combo on as for videos search for rebaz and champ. Not alot of falcon videos are up o.0 and hooray first post!

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
i feel like a huge nub right now

what the hell does the H stand for in FH?

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
don't focus on FH nair

it REALLY ISN'T THAT AMAZING

it's useful if you see an opening but never push for it, just wait for an opening, then unleash the fury of kick to yezs (only useful option out of it IMO, except for utilt at kill %s)
This^ x1000000

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
dammit i feel like a bigger nub now because i thought F stood for fast :laugh:
Your just learning.
But I normally Up+B after FH-Nair, or Grab.
Kinda didn't know a lot of options a while ago X__X

Yung Mei

Your just learning.
But I normally Up+B after FH-Nair, or Grab.
Kinda didn't know a lot of options a while ago X__X
from what i've been doing the last few days, i prefer FH nAir, dThrow, uAir. still havent been able to see if the knee works on a human player though >.>

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Wat

I think you meant "momentum cancel" instead of "DI", but even with that I don't understand your logic.

Aerials don't affect the "shape of your DI curve" (wat²), they just allow you to :
1- FF as soon as you started the aerial,
2- jump as soon as it's finished.

No more, no less.
The shape of your DI curve is only influenced by how you initially DI, when you FF and when you jump (and of course if you're holding your control stick toward the stage).
It doesn't matter when the hitbox of the aerials come out.
It doesn't matter if you do another aerial after the first or after you jumped.
And Yesz, Uair is Falcon fastest aerial

Yes, Uair is Falcon's quickest aerial, that's a given. It's common knowledge to use the quickest aerial, followed by a jump, then you direct yourself downward and back toward the stage.

However...

--before my posts got all jumbled up with questions, what I was getting at was if Falcon is knocked horizontally, rather than vertically, or even diagonally, back air makes it easier to curve Falcon's knockback downward with DI, decreasing the rate that you'll hit a blast zone while jumping.

While jumping is the best option for momentum canceling, when you're knocked horizontally, even when you jump there's a chance that you'll still be moving backward and get KO'd. With back air, you can at least direct Falcon downward at a curve so it decreases the chances that he'll hit the blast zones. Albeit possible, fastfalling and DIing properly with Falcon's uair is more difficult than it is with his Bair.

That, and my main reason for the post was because someone mentioned that using Nair was a smart idea for momentum canceling. It might be a quick aerial, but letting go of the control stick for even a second to use it can prove worthless. You'll be wasting about three-four frames even doing that. Not that it's a bad idea, since I use it to get out of my hitstun for the lulz, but at higher percents? No. Just no.

from what i've been doing the last few days, i prefer FH nAir, dThrow, uAir. still havent been able to see if the knee works on a human player though >.>
Knee doesn't work. You can attempt to use it on Jigglypuff and Samus, but if they spam their Nair, Falcon will get hit out of it.

On a side note; Up+B is definantly the best guaranteed damage racking option out of the FH Nair. It deals about 21-22% of legit damage. Unless you think that your opponent isn't smart enough to avoid the Uair, or they're at higher percents where it isn't guaranteed anyway, then do that.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
I don't think you have the right idea about momentum cancelling, going downward doesn't reduce your horizontal momentum.
Only jumping/drifting does.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I'm not talking about changing the momentum, I'm talking about changing the distance you travel at an angle so your jump doesn't hit the blast zone. If you're DIing downward at a curve, you won't be traveling nearly as close to the blast zone.

Yung Mei

Knee doesn't work. You can attempt to use it on Jigglypuff and Samus, but if they spam their Nair, Falcon will get hit out of it.

On a side note; Up+B is definantly the best guaranteed damage racking option out of the FH Nair. It deals about 21-22% of legit damage. Unless you think that your opponent isn't smart enough to avoid the Uair, or they're at higher percents where it isn't guaranteed anyway, then do that.
ill start trying to do uB then :)

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Up+B is guaranteed on the entire roster and a legit combo. I'd recommend that at lower percents to get some damage in, then do whatever you want afterward.

Yung Mei

Up+B is guaranteed on the entire roster and a legit combo. I'd recommend that at lower percents to get some damage in, then do whatever you want afterward.
do i still so the grab, or do i just FH nAir->uB

Top Bottom