• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I have a question: Because Grabs always have more priority than attacks, is it possible to Grab a Falcon out of the Falcon Punch without receiving knock-back?
I know if it's possible, it's very rare.
Vids would help as well :)

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
I have a question: Because Grabs always have more priority than attacks, is it possible to Grab a Falcon out of the Falcon Punch without receiving knock-back?
I know if it's possible, it's very rare.
Vids would help as well :)
well, it is possible to grab falcon out of a Knee... so yes i do think it is possible to grab falcon out of a Paunch :D

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
I've done it before. I grabbed Chirp as soon as his punch was comin' out, and I took the damage, but performed the grab.

He was shocked, since I was able to throw him up into a Knee.

Player-3

Smash Hero
i've had a DK super armor my falcon punch with donkey punch

he screamed GET THE **** OUT OF HERE

so the next stock i spiked him and was like GET THE **** OUT OF HERE

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
i've had a DK super armor my falcon punch with donkey punch

he screamed GET THE **** OUT OF HERE

so the next stock i spiked him and was like GET THE **** OUT OF HERE
lol P-3, I wish i could see a vid, i'd probably fall out:laugh:

D

Deleted member

So lately, I have noticed that I get combo'd in the air. ALOT. I'm trying to do what I can to recover by the time hitstun wears off, but by that time I've already been knee smashed in the face or something like that. What can I do to speed up C.F.'s reaction after hitstun wears off? I hope this makes sense.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
So lately, I have noticed that I get combo'd in the air. ALOT. I'm trying to do what I can to recover by the time hitstun wears off, but by that time I've already been knee smashed in the face or something like that. What can I do to speed up C.F.'s reaction after hitstun wears off? I hope this makes sense.
This is the Brawl forum...

Yung Mei

question about Neutral Air

I was playing earlier in training against DeDeDe, and noticed that the first hit of nAir can lead to a grab. I kept changing the damage to intervals of 10 and noticed that on higher percentages. (maybe 60+) you dont even have to move to get the grab. So my question is this - does this work with any, if not, the rest of the cast?

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I'm sure that FH-Nair can lead into almost anything, including a grab.
But on some characters, it sends them high enough for an aerial to be a better option.

lordhelmet

Smash Master

I was playing earlier in training against DeDeDe, and noticed that the first hit of nAir can lead to a grab. I kept changing the damage to intervals of 10 and noticed that on higher percentages. (maybe 60+) you dont even have to move to get the grab. So my question is this - does this work with any, if not, the rest of the cast?
Yeah FH Nair combos into a lot of things, best used on big guys.

FH Nair>Jab>>Jab>Grab
FH Nair>Up-B

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Against what everyone else is saying, your best option to slow down your momentum is probably back air. Up air is much better to direct your character from being KO'd vertically or diagonally because of the SDI, but the best way to stop yourself is ALWAYS jumping. Jumping is your best momentum canceling option.

Back air comes out quickest, so if you know what way Falcon's back is while being knocked away, rely on using that, then jumping immediately after. You can't jump out of the hitstun as fast as you can attack, so always attack first.

If you feel in doubt, just use up air to slow yourself down, then jump. It doesn't make a large difference, back air just gives you about half a second more reaction time.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama

You don't have to move to grab an opponent anyway if you're moving forward while using the FH-Nair. Falcon will land within range to guarantee a grab, even against some of the best SDI around. Unless they have God DI, then you shouldn't have to worry about missing your grab in that case.

Also, did you test the grab percentages on a character like Luigi yet? If it works on him as well, than it might be worth noting in a metagame thread. FH-Nair -> Up+B is much more guaranteed, but hey, if that doesn't miss, even if you don't have momentum, it's definantly nice to know.

Also; FFFFF... two posts in a row.
Had to put my two cents in though.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Darky. Bair comes out in like 13 frames. Uair comes out in 6
Bair works much better though if you're directing yourself with it, though. It slows you down MUCH more than Uair. The momentum you cancel with two Uairs can be achieved with one Bair. You've got to mix it up though because Bair is garbage if you're being knocked vertically since it's only good if you're jumping immediately after it.

If you try to jump after one Uair, you're most liking going to be jumping, but still moving backward. Which can end up in a KO.

Yung Mei

You don't have to move to grab an opponent anyway if you're moving forward while using the FH-Nair. Falcon will land within range to guarantee a grab, even against some of the best SDI around. Unless they have God DI, then you shouldn't have to worry about missing your grab in that case.

Also, did you test the grab percentages on a character like Luigi yet? If it works on him as well, than it might be worth noting in a metagame thread. FH-Nair -> Up+B is much more guaranteed, but hey, if that doesn't miss, even if you don't have momentum, it's definantly nice to know.
ill try it on luigi tonight and post results tomorrow :D
If you try to jump after one Uair, you're most liking going to be jumping, but still moving backward. Which can end up in a KO.
i can vouch for this, i've been killed while trying to DI using uAir. several times. too many to count

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Darky what are you talking about ?
It's not the aerial that cancels your momentum, it's the jump after the aerial.
Of course if you don't wait enough/fastfall jumping can kill you off the top, but if you wait too much it can kill you on the side.
So it's more a timing to find than a different aerial to use.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I know it's the jump that cancels, that's what I'm saying.
*facepalm*

Bair is much more useful for getting you back onto the stage if you're knocked horizontally though, it's simply easier to direct the character downward with it and curve them away from the blast-zones. Though I guess for people who're use to just spamming Uair then making their way back onto the stage, they can go ahead and do that. It's not going to make a 'big' difference. But compared to people using Nair to DI, uhh... yeah, it's definantly better than that. Yes, Nair will cancel your hitstun much greater, but if you aren't using any DI, it's not going to help you nearly as much.

The objective is to use an aerial to cancel the hitstun, then you make your way back onto the stage, Bair is more useful in that sense. The aerials might not cancel the momentum, but they sure as hell affect the curve at which they start falling downward.

EDIT: Also, Bair is 10 frames.
Uair is 6.
Nair is 7, but like I said, it's garbage letting go of the control stick to press it. Too much of a risk and it's not even that useful.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
LMFAO.

Girlfriend's nails. She still has to send it to me, since she lives up in New York and I'm here in Maryland. She got it custom made from some professionals. He goes "Show me your moves!" if you press his hand or stomach or something.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Lol@the plushie, it's hard to believe that something so small can be so manly.

And Dark I'd really REALLY like to know how exactly you momentum cancel.
Like, the input sequence you use.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Lol@the plushie, it's hard to believe that something so small can be so manly.

And Dark I'd really REALLY like to know how exactly you momentum cancel.
Like, the input sequence you use.
I uair>fastfall>more uair

I believe Darky prefers to bair>fastfall>uair or some jump shenanigans

I would imagine the best way would be uair(fastest startup)>fastfall>bair spam(quickest move overall)

It really comes down to player preference and how well you are able to control Falcon while mashing other buttons.

Yung Mei

Also; FFFFF... two posts in a row.
Had to put my two cents in though.
ok i tested this on luigi at 10, 30, 50, 70, and 100%

10% - grab doesnt reach, best if you run and pivot grab

30% - grab doesnt reach unless the first hit of nAir was right next to him

50% - same as above

70% - same :\

100% - same

something else i noticed - upB will only hit it the first hit of nAir was next to luigi as well, AND, if you pay attention you can tell if you'll be able to Grab, Pivot Grab, or upB. Also, pivot grab can lead to a POSSIBLE combo that is this

(done at 50%)

first hit of nAir->dash+pivot grab->dThrow->uAir

(finishing percent is 80%)
the reason i said possible is that this was done in training. i can check later if it is possible if luigi is DI'ing, but i wont be able to check until maybe wednesday

Top Bottom